Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2048626 times)  

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #24025 on: January 28, 2018, 09:40:53 AM »
Thank you so much, Mark! I'm honored.

I'm glad this campaign is coming to an end. Had I known what January had in store, I might have waited. I got back in town from my sister's wedding last Thursday. Then on Tuesday, I watched my grandmother die. She had been in hospice for a year, so I knew this was coming, but I didn't know it would happen so fast when it did.

The point--it's been an emotionally exhausting month; I fell off the promotion wagon big time and now I'm ready to let the chips fall where they may.

So, sorry to hear about your loss of your grandmother. And remember, decisions are made based on a variety of factors, so whether you've been available or not for it, you're getting previews and are still in consideration by a kindle imprint to take one as much as anyone here.

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #24026 on: January 28, 2018, 10:47:47 AM »
Mark! Thank you, you big legend.

I'm a legend?  When did that happen?  Infamous maybe, but a legend?...

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24027 on: January 28, 2018, 12:23:46 PM »
Well, my campaign for Knight School has officially ended as of this morning.  48 hours in Hot & Trending and 1.8k views.  Not the greatest stats, but better than I expected.  Thanks to everyone who has nominated Knight School and for helping me go out with a bang.  Just received an email from Kindle Scout, stating that my book is currently in review and I should know something in a few busisness days.  It didn't state anything about feedback though.  Does that mean I will or won't receive feedback?  Just curious.

Offline ReaderPaul

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24028 on: January 28, 2018, 12:29:44 PM »
I'm a legend?  When did that happen?  Infamous maybe, but a legend?...

Its an Irish thing. Do someone a favour and you are a legend.
Never rush, savour, enjoy and if you get the chance. Read it again.

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24029 on: January 28, 2018, 12:31:11 PM »
Thanks for the info Wand and R.E. I'll take a break from pulling my hair out now.  ;D

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
« Reply #24030 on: January 28, 2018, 12:44:55 PM »
Its an Irish thing. Do someone a favour and you are a legend.

Outstanding!  Maybe I'll move to Ireland where I can be a legend all the time...

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24031 on: January 28, 2018, 12:54:11 PM »
Hi Steve: Can you please add my book to your list? 25 days left as of today
hypnoSnatch: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2PK2TEING5XE3
Much appreciated!

It's Saturday and I have got one more day of work ahead of me.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! Island on Fire by Sophie Schiller
LAST DAY LEFT! Knight School by Robert G. Culp
LAST DAY LEFT! The Thief's Son by Jose Carlos Antunes
1 day left Blood Will Tell by Colleen S. Myers
5 days left Acts of God and Other Damage by Missy Wilkinson
5 days left Secret of the Lost Key by Paul Kilmartin
6 days left Angels In The Basement by Kristi Lane
6 days left The Human Dilemma by Rupert Exavier Moore
7 days left The Ancient Tripod of Peace by Kalen Cap
7 days left My Love Is Vengeance by Georgiana Derwent
15 days left Justified Sins by Brian Drae
15 days left Imperfect Li(v)es by SA Krishnan
20 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
21 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black
26 days left Wards and Wonders by Kay L. Ling
26 days left Ghostly Intentions by Jill James
26 days left The Haunting of Kaleb Bell by W. & W. Sawday
27 days left The Lunar Deception by T.E. Olivant
29 days left The Last Hunter by Lee Hayton

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline ReaderPaul

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24032 on: January 28, 2018, 01:14:06 PM »
Outstanding!  Maybe I'll move to Ireland where I can be a legend all the time...

Oh being a full time legend is different. That's offering lifts to the airport for strangers, saving a stool in a busy pub,  coming up with chocolate for the lads at the hurling when someone says they are hungry. In lieu of calling someone a nice person, we might say, that guy or girl are 'fierce sound'.

You are most welcome to come over. I will give you the tour.

Offline WandWSawday

• View Profile
« Reply #24033 on: January 28, 2018, 01:14:36 PM »
Well, my campaign for Knight School has officially ended as of this morning.  48 hours in Hot & Trending and 1.8k views.  Not the greatest stats, but better than I expected.  Thanks to everyone who has nominated Knight School and for helping me go out with a bang.  Just received an email from Kindle Scout, stating that my book is currently in review and I should know something in a few busisness days.  It didn't state anything about feedback though.  Does that mean I will or won't receive feedback?  Just curious.

Congrats on finishing the campaign--and nice stats! Hope you get good news soon!

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #24034 on: January 28, 2018, 01:17:36 PM »
The feedback is sent separately, anywhere from a day after to, in at least one case, almost a week after. Joy! Something else to wait for!

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online KGGiarratano

• View Profile
    • Kimberly G. Giarratano
« Reply #24035 on: January 28, 2018, 01:20:40 PM »
Hi all. It's been a long time since I was here. My book got selected for Kindle Press two years ago. I'm going to set up a campaign for a second book as soon as I finish a final proofread on the manuscript.

In the meantime, and I apologize if this has been mentioned ad nausea (I have not read this thread in a long time), but I can't emphasis this enough--your time on Hot and Trending is a small criteria for consideration in getting selected. I would never recommend authors pay for advertising to help get your book on H&T. Save your money. Good book, good cover, good blurb--all of that is in your control.

Best of luck and I have nom'd the earliest books on the list.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 01:25:11 PM by KGGiarratano »

Kimberly G. Giarratano | website | facebook | newsletter | twitter

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24036 on: January 28, 2018, 01:29:17 PM »
Congrats on finishing the campaign--and nice stats! Hope you get good news soon!

Thank you :)

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24037 on: January 28, 2018, 01:33:48 PM »
The feedback is sent separately, anywhere from a day after to, in at least one case, almost a week after. Joy! Something else to wait for!

I know, right?  But it will be worth the wait for feedback or an email confirming publication.  Sigh.  Time to start counting the days.  Here's hoping.

Offline georgiana89

• London
    • View Profile
    • My website and blog
« Reply #24038 on: January 28, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »
My Love is Vengeance has got six days left to go. I'm at 261 hours H&T and 3900 page views. So decent, but not outstanding compared to some stats I've seen.

The campaign has been really up and down. For the first five days, I hovered around the 300-500 views per day mark, presumably buoyed by a mixture of being on the "new" list and an initial burst of promotional activity. Since then, it's fallen into a fairly predicable pattern. I've done a few paid-for promotions, and they've earned me 100-200 page views, and launched me into H&T. For a couple of days each time, some combination of the residual effects of the promotion and/or internal viewers spotting me on the H&T list have kept me in that low hundreds range. Then it's steadily trailed off, until I'm into low double figures for a few days, only to rise again at the next solid promotion.

I'm currently H&T again, which I credit almost entirely to a slot in the Ripley's Booklist newsletter yesterday. Incidentally, I cannot recommend that service enough if your book is YA. That's now all the promotion I was originally planning over and done with (other than intending to send a few tweets and FB messages myself). My question is whether I ought to do one more set piece paid for promotion this coming week, or whether I might now be able to ride out the last few days on the strength of slipping into the "ending soon" list. I've seen quite a few books there's been no sign of before suddenly appear in H&T with a day or two to go before their campaign closes.

Part of me wants to make a real effort to finish strong. Part of me thinks I've done everything I can, and I ought to just let things play out now. People who've been there and done that, how much of an end of campaign boost did you get? And did you do any end of campaign promotion?

All views very much appreciated...

Offline Missy Wilkinson

• View Profile
    • www.missywilkinson.com/
« Reply #24039 on: January 28, 2018, 01:54:49 PM »
So, sorry to hear about your loss of your grandmother. And remember, decisions are made based on a variety of factors, so whether you've been available or not for it, you're getting previews and are still in consideration by a kindle imprint to take one as much as anyone here.

Thank you for your condolences! And that's encouraging to here re: all the factors.

Offline Simply_J

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
« Reply #24040 on: January 28, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »
Thank you so much, Mark! I'm honored.

I'm glad this campaign is coming to an end. Had I known what January had in store, I might have waited. I got back in town from my sister's wedding last Thursday. Then on Tuesday, I watched my grandmother die. She had been in hospice for a year, so I knew this was coming, but I didn't know it would happen so fast when it did.

The point--it's been an emotionally exhausting month; I fell off the promotion wagon big time and now I'm ready to let the chips fall where they may.

I'm sorry about your lost, Missy. Losing a close family member is a unique event, and taking the time to mourn is important. And you also need to set aside some time to take care of yourself.

You've done what you could do for promotion, and the book itself is what truly matters. Also, there will be more books and campaigns in the future.

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24041 on: January 28, 2018, 03:47:18 PM »
Hi all. It's been a long time since I was here. My book got selected for Kindle Press two years ago. I'm going to set up a campaign for a second book as soon as I finish a final proofread on the manuscript.

In the meantime, and I apologize if this has been mentioned ad nausea (I have not read this thread in a long time), but I can't emphasis this enough--your time on Hot and Trending is a small criteria for consideration in getting selected. I would never recommend authors pay for advertising to help get your book on H&T. Save your money. Good book, good cover, good blurb--all of that is in your control.

Best of luck and I have nom'd the earliest books on the list.

Great answer! Thank you. Now I can take the rest of today off. :)

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
« Reply #24042 on: January 28, 2018, 04:47:30 PM »
Oh being a full time legend is different. That's offering lifts to the airport for strangers, saving a stool in a busy pub,  coming up with chocolate for the lads at the hurling when someone says they are hungry. In lieu of calling someone a nice person, we might say, that guy or girl are 'fierce sound'.

You are most welcome to come over. I will give you the tour.

Thank you kindly for the offer!  Now who's fierce sound? (Hint: you are, my Irish friend.)

Offline ronesa_aveela

• United States
    • View Profile
    • Ronesa Aveela
« Reply #24043 on: January 28, 2018, 04:55:25 PM »
My Love is Vengeance has got six days left to go. I'm at 261 hours H&T and 3900 page views. So decent, but not outstanding compared to some stats I've seen.

The campaign has been really up and down. For the first five days, I hovered around the 300-500 views per day mark, presumably buoyed by a mixture of being on the "new" list and an initial burst of promotional activity. Since then, it's fallen into a fairly predicable pattern. I've done a few paid-for promotions, and they've earned me 100-200 page views, and launched me into H&T. For a couple of days each time, some combination of the residual effects of the promotion and/or internal viewers spotting me on the H&T list have kept me in that low hundreds range. Then it's steadily trailed off, until I'm into low double figures for a few days, only to rise again at the next solid promotion.

I'm currently H&T again, which I credit almost entirely to a slot in the Ripley's Booklist newsletter yesterday. Incidentally, I cannot recommend that service enough if your book is YA. That's now all the promotion I was originally planning over and done with (other than intending to send a few tweets and FB messages myself). My question is whether I ought to do one more set piece paid for promotion this coming week, or whether I might now be able to ride out the last few days on the strength of slipping into the "ending soon" list. I've seen quite a few books there's been no sign of before suddenly appear in H&T with a day or two to go before their campaign closes.

Part of me wants to make a real effort to finish strong. Part of me thinks I've done everything I can, and I ought to just let things play out now. People who've been there and done that, how much of an end of campaign boost did you get? And did you do any end of campaign promotion?

I think your book will naturally end up in the H&T as it gets closer to the end. You have good enough stats at this point to have your book looked at. I wouldn't spend a lot of time or money promoting it. My stats were close to yours, and I didn't do much at the end. My book made it about 13 days in the waiting room before it was rejected.

Offline Missy Wilkinson

• View Profile
    • www.missywilkinson.com/
« Reply #24044 on: January 28, 2018, 05:59:59 PM »
I'm sorry about your lost, Missy. Losing a close family member is a unique event, and taking the time to mourn is important. And you also need to set aside some time to take care of yourself.

You've done what you could do for promotion, and the book itself is what truly matters. Also, there will be more books and campaigns in the future.

Thank you--I really appreciate your words and sympathy. And thanks for the reminder to prioritize self care. I have been watching dance movies, drinking wine and Facebook chatting with my sister. It does help! Physical activity also helps me a lot.

A small silver lining--this loss has reminded me that my Kindle Scout campaign ISN'T a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24045 on: January 28, 2018, 07:10:18 PM »

Good stats and I only just found out about Ripley's earlier in the week, so timely comment. It took me much longer to get this one out in relation to my first, so I'm pushing it a bit more still. (Plus, I want to reach 25% external, though I've definitely achieved that since finishing the "recently added" time for "The Ancient Tripod of Peace." Still, would like to edge up there for the overall time before the "Ending Soon" time likely decreases that percentage again.) But, my goals might not be yours and I don't have the completion experience to draw on you are asking for.

Gut response is it depends on what your goals are. My sense is I've felt better after not getting what I want if I've put in what I feel are a reasonable amount of resources  than if I felt I didn't give it enough.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24046 on: January 29, 2018, 02:02:25 AM »
Monday morning and I'm off to work.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

3 days left Acts of God and Other Damage by Missy Wilkinson
3 days left Secret of the Lost Key by Paul Kilmartin
4 days left Angels In The Basement by Kristi Lane
4 days left The Human Dilemma by Rupert Exavier Moore
5 days left The Ancient Tripod of Peace by Kalen Cap
5 days left My Love Is Vengeance by Georgiana Derwent
13 days left Justified Sins by Brian Drae
13 days left Imperfect Li(v)es by SA Krishnan
18 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
19 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black
24 days left Wards and Wonders by Kay L. Ling
24 days left Ghostly Intentions by Jill James
24 days left The Haunting of Kaleb Bell by W. & W. Sawday
24 days left hypnoSnatch by Trisha Mcnary
25 days left The Lunar Deception by T.E. Olivant
27 days left The Last Hunter by Lee Hayton

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline ReaderPaul

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24047 on: January 29, 2018, 05:51:16 AM »
Now this is the story all about how,
My Kindle Scout campaign got flipped, turned upside down.
And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there.
I'll tell you how I got in Kindle Scout and lost my hair.  8)

Nothing like a bit of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air to lift your Monday.

I'm into my final three days and I thought, this was a good a time as any to hit you with the final updates, thoughts etc. I have also decided not to include hours in hot and Trending, stats etc, because I think that looking at them too much, can inflict a negative mindset in people. That said, I did make it in, but not by the traditional methods of most.

I went old school and shrunk my world. Knew I would need neighbours and the communities help. So I engaged with people and not just through Facebook and I think they pushed me on to the Hot list initially. I used Author Shout, and it gave me a sense of satisfaction to see some re-tweet my book. Facebook ads, I am a bit meh about. You really are competing with serious advertisers with bottomless budgets so try to think up a particularly innovative strategy or market.

I seemed to be attracting a lot of interest from those in Egypt and in some other Middle Eastern countries through the image of desert on my cover. Oh.. Mines Secret of The Lost Key, in case I didn't make that clear.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. And more for the community than the prize. While it's great, and I hope I do well. I took away from it that if you get to the end and feel like you won, in terms of engagement or enjoyment, then you have already won.

Love,

Paul Kilmartin 

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24048 on: January 29, 2018, 06:48:12 AM »

Kboarder/Kindle Scout expert Lincoln Cole has a newsletter going out on the 3rd. My book is in it, and at least one other book that isn't a Scout submission. His packages are inexpensive. Maybe if you contact him right away he can add your book. That's your last day, right?
https://www.lincolncole.net/services/kindle-scout-book-promotion
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 06:51:21 AM by Kay7979 »

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24049 on: January 29, 2018, 06:57:05 AM »
Now this is the story all about how,
My Kindle Scout campaign got flipped, turned upside down.
And I'd like to take a minute, just sit right there.
I'll tell you how I got in Kindle Scout and lost my hair.  8)

Nothing like a bit of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air to lift your Monday.

I'm into my final three days and I thought, this was a good a time as any to hit you with the final updates, thoughts etc. I have also decided not to include hours in hot and Trending, stats etc, because I think that looking at them too much, can inflict a negative mindset in people. That said, I did make it in, but not by the traditional methods of most.

I went old school and shrunk my world. Knew I would need neighbours and the communities help. So I engaged with people and not just through Facebook and I think they pushed me on to the Hot list initially. I used Author Shout, and it gave me a sense of satisfaction to see some re-tweet my book. Facebook ads, I am a bit meh about. You really are competing with serious advertisers with bottomless budgets so try to think up a particularly innovative strategy or market.

I seemed to be attracting a lot of interest from those in Egypt and in some other Middle Eastern countries through the image of desert on my cover. Oh.. Mines Secret of The Lost Key, in case I didn't make that clear.

Would I do it again? Absolutely. And more for the community than the prize. While it's great, and I hope I do well. I took away from it that if you get to the end and feel like you won, in terms of engagement or enjoyment, then you have already won.

Love,

Paul Kilmartin 

Glad you've found the experience enjoyable with the engagement you want. Neat that you found both the local and international engagement with it simultaneously.

I will say that fb ads can be targeted rather well if one chooses the parameters. With fb having o er 2 billion users worldwide, one ad set I'm trying now has a targeted population of around 100,000, that's 1 in 20,000 or so of their total users. You can even micro-scale geographically if of benefit, though I think by interest works better. If nothing else, has given me targeting insights online for later on. Of course, any expenditure depends on how it fits into one's overall goals.

Good luck on the final days in the "Ending Soon" category. "The Ancient Tripod of Peace" joins that at the end of the week as well.