Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1813023 times)  

Online RDCULP18

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #24300 on: February 11, 2018, 06:34:30 AM »
Just picked it up for $0.99 at 9:30. Not sure when the sale will post for your kdp results, but should get a ranking sometime following first purchase, I believe. Have a bit of a queue before I could post a review though.

Online RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24301 on: February 11, 2018, 07:10:29 AM »
Knight School just went live on Barnes and Noble for 99 cents.  If I sell over a 1,000 ebook copies on this site, Barnes and Noble will put a print copy in their stores for free!  Here's the link: https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/knight-school-robert-g-culp/1127948002?ean=2940158958809

So if anyone has time, please check it out.  If you already purchased it on Amazon and would like an extra copy for the Nook app, please go ahead and purchase it on there too.  If not, when you finish reading your Amazon copy, post the same review on Knight School's Barnes and Noble page.  Thanks for all of the support guys, Knight School is already at number 97 on Amazon's ranking for Teen & Young Adult - Fantasy - Coming of Age category.

Online TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24302 on: February 11, 2018, 05:53:07 PM »
Knight School is already at number 97 on Amazon's ranking for Teen & Young Adult - Fantasy - Coming of Age category.

8) 8) 8)

Offline Katherine Hayton

• Christchurch, New Zealand
    • View Profile
    • My Author Website
« Reply #24303 on: February 11, 2018, 06:06:07 PM »
Knight School just went live on Barnes and Noble for 99 cents.  If I sell over a 1,000 ebook copies on this site, Barnes and Noble will put a print copy in their stores for free!  Here's the link: https://m.barnesandnoble.com/w/knight-school-robert-g-culp/1127948002?ean=2940158958809

So if anyone has time, please check it out.  If you already purchased it on Amazon and would like an extra copy for the Nook app, please go ahead and purchase it on there too.  If not, when you finish reading your Amazon copy, post the same review on Knight School's Barnes and Noble page.  Thanks for all of the support guys, Knight School is already at number 97 on Amazon's ranking for Teen & Young Adult - Fantasy - Coming of Age category.
I looked at this on Amazon today, and it appears to be enrolled in Kindle Unlimited - is that right? If you've signed up to KDP select, it's against the TOS to list it on another retailer. You might want to take it back down off B&N if that's the case.

Katherine Lee Hayton | Facebook | Twitter | Website

Online RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24304 on: February 11, 2018, 06:28:17 PM »
I looked at this on Amazon today, and it appears to be enrolled in Kindle Unlimited - is that right? If you've signed up to KDP select, it's against the TOS to list it on another retailer. You might want to take it back down off B&N if that's the case.

Crap!  I didn't know that.  Thank you, for letting me know.  I'll take it off Barnes and Noble right away.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24305 on: February 12, 2018, 12:59:24 AM »
It's Monday. I'm up early and heading back to work today.

I'm 62000 words into my new collection, still aiming for 75000 words.

Now let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

3 days left Coyote Ate the Stars by E.A. Van Stralen
4 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
5 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black
10 days left Wards and Wonders by Kay L. Ling
10 days left Ghostly Intentions by Jill James
10 days left The Haunting of Kaleb Bell by W. & W. Sawday
10 days left hypnoSnatch by Trisha Mcnary
11 days left The Lunar Deception by T.E. Olivant
13 days left The Last Hunter by Lee Hayton
14 days left Don't Ask, Don't Tell by Monte Dutton
17 days left Kingshold by D.P. Woolliscroft
17 days left Ghost and Found by Kimberly G. Giarratano
17 days left Forever Young by Sue Seabury
17 days left A Woman of the Road by Amy Wolf
18 days left The Lost Tomb of Cleopatra by J.T. Osbourne
18 days left Vic Boyo, Doofus Detective in: Double Murders are Twice as Bad by Milo James Fowler
20 days left The Space in You by K.D. Lovgren
21 days left Neon Sands: A Trilogy by Adam J. Smith
24 days left Goddess Rudra by Ignatius Variath
24 days left Vengeance of Dracula by James Mascia
24 days left I Spy a Scarecrow by Bradon Nave
24 days left Undone by the Earl by Elizabeth Rue
25 days left Hexborn by A.M. Manay
25 days left Fatal Feast by Betty Kuffel
26 days left Sicarius Soul by Jade Kerrion
26 days left Somebody to Love by Aurelia Fray

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline Alex Makepeace

• View Profile
    • Alex Makepeace
« Reply #24306 on: February 12, 2018, 01:54:48 AM »
Hi all! Well, it's been about six weeks since The Poison People was not accepted by KS. I received some excellent feedback, however, which led me to make some minor editorial changes but, most significantly, change the cover. This from the KS editor: You could try changing the books packaging and overall marketing strategy to make it clearer at the point of purchase that the content is more high-concept, literary-quality Sci-Fi than it is easy-reading genre fiction.

This I've done, and the book, with the new cover, has now been published: https://www.amazon.com/Poison-People-Alex-Makepeace-ebook/dp/B079P1YFYC/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518428689&sr=1-2&keywords=the+poison+people

My question is this (it's not about the cover as it's too late for that!): I'm being very careful about promoting it at the moment because I want to attract the "right" kind of readers so it gets in the right "Also Bought" category. I suppose (I hope) my cover will help forewarn potential readers that it may be a more challenging read but I'm still concerned I will disappoint some and garner negative reviews. To this end, I have replaced (maybe it hasn't come up yet) the last sentence of the blurb (so it ends on "our times") then added a quote from the editor: "High-concept, literary sci-fi." I feel a bit uncomfortable about this because: 1) I don't want to tell readers what to think. 2) I have not attributed the quote (although I cite the whole review on my web page) because I don't want to say it came from KS (which I think is not permitted), although I would like to say it came from Kirkus (who they use) but I'm not sure if I could get away with it. On the other hand I am even more concerned I'll get negative reviews if I don't tee-up readers to expect something a bit more possibly demanding than their usual read. It's about weighing the risks. Do you have any thoughts? I am beginning a 99c promotion from mid-week...

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24307 on: February 12, 2018, 05:56:35 AM »
Hi all! Well, it's been about six weeks since The Poison People was not accepted by KS. I received some excellent feedback, however, which led me to make some minor editorial changes but, most significantly, change the cover. This from the KS editor: You could try changing the books packaging and overall marketing strategy to make it clearer at the point of purchase that the content is more high-concept, literary-quality Sci-Fi than it is easy-reading genre fiction.

This I've done, and the book, with the new cover, has now been published: https://www.amazon.com/Poison-People-Alex-Makepeace-ebook/dp/B079P1YFYC/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518428689&sr=1-2&keywords=the+poison+people

My question is this (it's not about the cover as it's too late for that!): I'm being very careful about promoting it at the moment because I want to attract the "right" kind of readers so it gets in the right "Also Bought" category. I suppose (I hope) my cover will help forewarn potential readers that it may be a more challenging read but I'm still concerned I will disappoint some and garner negative reviews. To this end, I have replaced (maybe it hasn't come up yet) the last sentence of the blurb (so it ends on "our times") then added a quote from the editor: "High-concept, literary sci-fi." I feel a bit uncomfortable about this because: 1) I don't want to tell readers what to think. 2) I have not attributed the quote (although I cite the whole review on my web page) because I don't want to say it came from KS (which I think is not permitted), although I would like to say it came from Kirkus (who they use) but I'm not sure if I could get away with it. On the other hand I am even more concerned I'll get negative reviews if I don't tee-up readers to expect something a bit more possibly demanding than their usual read. It's about weighing the risks. Do you have any thoughts? I am beginning a 99c promotion from mid-week...

They use Kirkus to edit some of the books that are accepted for publication. There is no reason to believe Kirkus looks at any of the other submissions. In any case, Kirkus has very specific rules regarding the use of, and attribution of, quotes taken from their reviews.

Offline Iolanthe

• View Profile
    • K.D. Lovgren Author Website
« Reply #24308 on: February 12, 2018, 09:47:25 AM »
The Space in You is not setting views on fire so far. I haven't advertised until today, when I promoted a Twitter card ad, so it will be interesting to see if there are results from that in tomorrow's views.

Online RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24309 on: February 12, 2018, 11:10:48 AM »
Knight School is at number 58 in the kindle store's Teen & Young Adult - Science Fiction & Fantasy - Fantasy - Coming of Age category and ranked 66 in its other two.  The Best Seller Rank is only 3, 722 right now, which is still pretty cool to me.  If anyone has had time to read the whole book yet or even just halfway, let me know what you think.  I am really eager to have some feedback.

Offline sceptique

• View Profile
    • "The Commander's Daughter" (HARVIE Book One)
« Reply #24310 on: February 12, 2018, 01:18:47 PM »
Carrie, congratulations on your book release!
I've downloaded "Soul Catchers". I owe you a review.
Kindle Scout campaign -
"The Commander's Daughter" (HARVIE Book One)
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/3S650OYOVGEFS

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #24311 on: February 12, 2018, 01:54:31 PM »

My first KS selection was edited in-house, but my second was edited at Kirkus. When the feedback arrived, the cover letter contained the following.

"(Please note that the feedback contained in these documents is intended for use in the editorial process only and may not be represented as a review or an endorsement. No portion of the feedback or communication from the book editor may be published [online or in print] or used for any promotional purposes.)"

If the feedback came from Kirkus, it would have been stated somewhere and probably would have said something similar. Kirkus's editing and reviewing departments are separate, and they are strict about the separation. Be careful and please don't get yourself in trouble!

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24312 on: February 12, 2018, 02:15:13 PM »
They use Kirkus to edit some of the books that are accepted for publication. There is no reason to believe Kirkus looks at any of the other submissions. In any case, Kirkus has very specific rules regarding the use of, and attribution of, quotes taken from their reviews.

Echo that. Could rephrase with your own call-to-action and drop the quotes. Without attribution, it looks like a mistake, though the causal amazon search reader may not notice that.

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24313 on: February 12, 2018, 03:01:07 PM »
Hi Guys - I'm back.

I've been offline writing for a while. However, I have a Kindle Scout campaign Mystic Evermore - a tale about vampires and their human friends/lovers - due to commence tomorrow.

I have also read through a few of the Kindle books and posted Amazon reviews. Please don't hate me if I have done a review and it's not 100% positive. I think effusive positive reviews sound fake or purchased. I like to keep it real - although I'm not deliberately mean either.

I might mention something that could be improved - from my point of view only of course. However, I won't say silly things like every word is spelled wrong. I honestly have never seen a Scout offering that was that poor. All campaigner's try to self edit, and it's a huge job. Of course a few typos slip through!

It was great to see a rise in acceptance last month wasn't it? Do you think that matched the seasonal shopping boom?

Online TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24314 on: February 12, 2018, 05:20:59 PM »
Amazingly, I was finally on H&T this weekend but fell back off this morning. It was exciting and exhausting, as I nervously checked exactly 50 minutes after each hour to see if my book was still on the list. Today I kept checking, but I know it won't get back up there without more promotion. Anyway, I started a FB ad yesterday with one interest targeted. It seems to be doing well, but I'm not on H&T, so maybe it's not.
Kalen, can you or some other FB ad expert please explain these numbers?
  409 impressions
  169 people taking action?
  0 clicks on my Learn More button
What kind of action would those people be taking? I have a hyperlink to my KS page in the text above the photo. Does that mean they're clicking the link? Hopefully it doesn't mean they're checking out my FB author page, which is still completely blank.
I'm thinking about running a second ad, but I can't tell if I'm getting any results.
All thoughts appreciated  :)

Online TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24315 on: February 12, 2018, 05:32:52 PM »
Knight School is at number 58 in the kindle store's Teen & Young Adult - Science Fiction & Fantasy - Fantasy - Coming of Age category and ranked 66 in its other two.  The Best Seller Rank is only 3, 722 right now, which is still pretty cool to me.  If anyone has had time to read the whole book yet or even just halfway, let me know what you think.  I am really eager to have some feedback.

I've read part of it, but it might take me a while to finish the whole thing. I'll be able to give you a 4-star review when I'm done. Let me know if you don't want that. (I've heard of some people complaining about only 4 stars.) The reason no 5 is because of the common "needs more editing" problem. Since you can't afford an editor (and many people can't), I suggest brushing up on your editing skills: free one-month online subscription to Chicago Manual of Style and free online lessons on Grammar Monster (http://www.grammar-monster.com/) are good places to start.
On the positive side, I think your voice is a really good fit for young adult, and the story is fast-paced and interesting. There's also a lot of romance in this book that you don't mention in your blurb but probably should to attract more YA readers.
Congratulations on those numbers  :)

Online RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24316 on: February 12, 2018, 05:59:00 PM »
I've read part of it, but it might take me a while to finish the whole thing. I'll be able to give you a 4-star review when I'm done. Let me know if you don't want that. (I've heard of some people complaining about only 4 stars.) The reason no 5 is because of the common "needs more editing" problem. Since you can't afford an editor (and many people can't), I suggest brushing up on your editing skills: free one-month online subscription to Chicago Manual of Style and free online lessons on Grammar Monster (http://www.grammar-monster.com/) are good places to start.
On the positive side, I think your voice is a really good fit for young adult, and the story is fast-paced and interesting. There's also a lot of romance in this book that you don't mention in your blurb but probably should to attract more YA readers.
Congratulations on those numbers  :)

Thank you :)  Four Stars sounds great!  I would love to see your review on Knight School's Kindle Store/Amazon  page!  I'll try and check out those editing sites you mentioned, those will probably help me out a lot.  I didn't know if the romance was a big enough part of the plot when I first started writing Knight School (the story changed a lot over the years, I went through a lot of drafts) to include it in the blurb, but now that you mention it that would attract more YA readers.  I'll try and work on something including that in the morning.  Tell me what you think about the ending, after you finish reading, and if you think it merits a sequel (which is something I'm working on).

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24317 on: February 12, 2018, 07:51:04 PM »
Amazingly, I was finally on H&T this weekend but fell back off this morning. It was exciting and exhausting, as I nervously checked exactly 50 minutes after each hour to see if my book was still on the list. Today I kept checking, but I know it won't get back up there without more promotion. Anyway, I started a FB ad yesterday with one interest targeted. It seems to be doing well, but I'm not on H&T, so maybe it's not.
Kalen, can you or some other FB ad expert please explain these numbers?
  409 impressions
  169 people taking action?
  0 clicks on my Learn More button
What kind of action would those people be taking? I have a hyperlink to my KS page in the text above the photo. Does that mean they're clicking the link? Hopefully it doesn't mean they're checking out my FB author page, which is still completely blank.
I'm thinking about running a second ad, but I can't tell if I'm getting any results.
All thoughts appreciated  :)

Wouldn't say I'm an expert, just have a bit of experience. Have you had any likes of the ad itself? I know those count as actions, but they tend to be few and far between usually. Is it set up as a PPC (pay per click) or otherwise? I believe if it is a boosted post that is long and the reader hits the "extended view" part to read more of the post, then that also is an action as well. Not sure if that is part of your ad's setup or not, of course.

After the first weekend, mine were all set to PPC to the kindle scout preview page, so resulted in page views on kindle scout. That coincides with external sourcing attributed to facebook (from various devices) in the kindle scout statistics on external views. I found it nice to have the double verification that way. Those would all count as clicks with costs though.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 07:53:53 PM by kalencap »

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24318 on: February 13, 2018, 01:06:08 AM »
It's Tuesday morning. I've got a hectic week ahead of me. Tomorrow evening I will be speaking at a Dalhousie University storytelling class. Thursday I will spend the whole day storytelling at an elementary school. And then Friday I go to interview for whom I hope will become my new doctor. I haven't had a doctor for a year or so.

Now let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

2 days left Coyote Ate the Stars by E.A. Van Stralen
3 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
4 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black
9 days left Wards and Wonders by Kay L. Ling
9 days left Ghostly Intentions by Jill James
9 days left The Haunting of Kaleb Bell by W. & W. Sawday
9 days left hypnoSnatch by Trisha Mcnary
10 days left The Lunar Deception by T.E. Olivant
12 days left The Last Hunter by Lee Hayton
13 days left Don't Ask, Don't Tell by Monte Dutton
16 days left Kingshold by D.P. Woolliscroft
16 days left Ghost and Found by Kimberly G. Giarratano
16 days left Forever Young by Sue Seabury
16 days left A Woman of the Road by Amy Wolf
17 days left The Lost Tomb of Cleopatra by J.T. Osbourne
17 days left Vic Boyo, Doofus Detective in: Double Murders are Twice as Bad by Milo James Fowler
19 days left The Space in You by K.D. Lovgren
20 days left Neon Sands: A Trilogy by Adam J. Smith
23 days left Goddess Rudra by Ignatius Variath
23 days left Vengeance of Dracula by James Mascia
23 days left I Spy a Scarecrow by Bradon Nave
23 days left Undone by the Earl by Elizabeth Rue
24 days left Hexborn by A.M. Manay
24 days left Fatal Feast by Betty Kuffel
25 days left Sicarius Soul by Jade Kerrion
25 days left Somebody to Love by Aurelia Fray

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline REMoore

• View Profile
    • http://rupertemoore.wordpress.com
« Reply #24319 on: February 13, 2018, 05:13:56 AM »
Hello again all,

I've been away, busy making arrangements to publish my novel, The Human Dilemma, independently. After a long battle with the formatting (the "Look Inside" feature almost drove me crazy), it's now nice and clean and available for download on Amazon.

Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079Q4ZZPK.

As a thank-you for all your help and support, the book will be free for the next few days. If you enjoy satirical soft (social) science fiction with an international angle, grab yourself a copy.

Also, if you spot any issues with the format, content or anything else, feel free to let me know. In general, all feedback is welcome.

Thank you,
R.E. Moore

Rupert Exavier Moore | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #24320 on: February 13, 2018, 09:51:35 AM »
Hello again all,

I've been away, busy making arrangements to publish my novel, The Human Dilemma, independently. After a long battle with the formatting (the "Look Inside" feature almost drove me crazy), it's now nice and clean and available for download on Amazon.

Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079Q4ZZPK.

As a thank-you for all your help and support, the book will be free for the next few days. If you enjoy satirical soft (social) science fiction with an international angle, grab yourself a copy.

Also, if you spot any issues with the format, content or anything else, feel free to let me know. In general, all feedback is welcome.

Thank you,
R.E. Moore

I have downloaded a copy and will aim to get some thoughts to you within the next couple of weeks!

Offline REMoore

• View Profile
    • http://rupertemoore.wordpress.com
« Reply #24321 on: February 13, 2018, 11:43:23 AM »
I have downloaded a copy and will aim to get some thoughts to you within the next couple of weeks!

Thank you, JT. I appreciate it.

The book is now in the top ten of all three of its sub-categories in the "Free" Kindle Store, number five in satire. Granted, they are not the most competitive categories, and it's not the "Paid" list, but it still feels good.

Rupert Exavier Moore | Website | Facebook | Twitter

Online T E Scott Writer

• View Profile
« Reply #24322 on: February 13, 2018, 12:06:16 PM »
10 days left for the Lunar Deception.  Not many hours h & t but I'm keeping most of my promo money for the launch, whether scout picks it up or not.  So far writing the third book in the series is keeping me from obsessing tooooo much over the scout campaign!

Best of luck to those in waiting limbo.

T E Scott

Offline Walterrhein

• Chippewa Falls, WI
    • View Profile
    • Streets Of Lima
« Reply #24323 on: February 13, 2018, 07:39:31 PM »
Hey Folks! I have a mystery/thriller that has been sitting on the hot list for 6 days, but is losing steam Find out more about it here http://streetsoflima.com/paperclip-kindle-scout/. All nominations are appreciated! Thanks!

Offline Durian11

• View Profile
« Reply #24324 on: February 13, 2018, 08:05:20 PM »
I'm developing a post-KS-rejection plan. Any advice from the wise sages among us would be much-appreciated. สมัครufabet

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac