Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2064163 times)  

Offline Kathryn Jankowski

• View Profile
    • Kathryn Jankowski
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #24750 on: March 07, 2018, 01:48:18 PM »
amzn.to/2FsdoY8

19 days left and WORSE THAN WICKED has flatlined with 1.2K views, no time in H&T.
Author Shout is running daily tweets and I'll be featured in Lincoln Cole's 3/12 newsletter.
Disappointed, but I figured it was a way to get my name in front of readers, if nothing else.
Looks like I'll be going with KDP when the campaign ends.

Quick question. How do I get my book cover to display every time I post? Is this part of the signature? Thanks.

Kathryn Jankowski | website

Offline AaronFrale

• Minneapolis, MN
  • May the schwartz be with you.
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Page
« Reply #24751 on: March 07, 2018, 01:53:25 PM »
amzn.to/2FsdoY8
Quick question. How do I get my book cover to display every time I post? Is this part of the signature? Thanks.

https://www.kboards.com/authorsig/

Fill in the blanks and cut n' paste to your profile.

Aaron Frale | Twitter | Facebook | Website

Offline KrWard

• View Profile
    • Writing and My Three Sons
« Reply #24752 on: March 07, 2018, 04:18:58 PM »

It sounds like YA in general, and some YA fantasy in particular, doesn't do that well anyways? I haven't seen much YA in H&T as a general rule. Anyone campaigning in that genre want to pitch in their two cents? (I'm running a YA dark fantasy: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/E9IM6GHX3YIJ )

Hi there! My book is YA, dystopian. I am a new author so my experience is most likely not the norm. I started off very strong with a few days in H&T and then my stats tanked. I have utterly flatlined ever since. My total H&T time is just over 100 hours and my pages views are 2400. I have 9 days left and expect a rejection letter. All in all, this has been a huge learning curve, very stressful, but also a good way to get my name out there. When I hit my total slump I tapped multiple resources and have used authorshout, Melrock (no traffic from that), JustKindleBooks, Fiverr, and readper (I am on their site now and will be in the newsletter on Saturday and hope for good results then). I consider the ups and downs as part of my journey.

Here is my campaign if you want to check it out
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/13HTZCAHEL9Z9

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24753 on: March 07, 2018, 05:57:03 PM »
It's Wednesday. Today was hectic and I nearly forgot to fill the list.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left Goddess Rudra by Ignatius Variath
1 day left Vengeance of Dracula by James Mascia
1 day left I Spy a Scarecrow by Bradon Nave
1 day left Undone by the Earl by Elizabeth Rue
1 day left Paperclip by Dan Woll & Walter Rhein
2 days left Hexborn by A.M. Manay
3 days left Fatal Feast by Betty Kuffel
4 days left Sicarius Soul by Jade Kerrion
4 days left Somebody to Love by Aurelia Fray
4 days left Star Kin by Brian Toups
5 days left Lips of the Sun
8 days left A Trail of Embers by C.A. Kinnee
8 days left Mystic Evermore by Cecilia Hopkins
9 days left After the Green Withered by Kristin Ward
15 days left Tuning In: A Novel by Richard Roberts
16 days left Once in an Olive Moon by J.R. Laurence
16 days left On Holy Ground by Louise Cole
17 days left Future Warrior by Lexi Revellian
17 days left A Sensitive Situation by Lee Isserow
18 days left Dreaming of You and Me by Kristy Tate
18 days left Reclamation by Stephen D. Tucker
19 days left Worse Than Wicked by Kathryn Jankowski
19 days left Single and Looking, Daisy by Belinda Austin
19 days left Symphony of Death by Celina Summers
22 days left The Grand Unraveling by L.N. Heintz
22 days left Death In Vermilion by Barbara Elle
22 days left The Moon Thief by M.L. Hamilton
23 days left Bestseller by Carey Lewis
24 days left The Poet and the Muse by Navi Wang

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24754 on: March 07, 2018, 06:59:00 PM »
I finally got my rejection email for hypnoSnatch this afternoon on day 13. I'd been expecting it after reading posts here in the last few days about new staff since August, and must have website, blog, Instagram, etc., so I'd already gone through feeling the disappointment by then (mostly). Of course, the good thing about not being selected is being able to publish as soon as I make some edits instead of having to wait 3 months.
I plan to make the book free for the first day or two so everyone who nominated can still get a free copy if I can figure out how to coordinate that with KS's notification.
Originally, I was going to publish at the end of January and really looking forward to it. I had never heard of Kindle Scout. For 3 years, I'd been seeing the KS banner on my KDP book sales report page flash in front of my eyes every time I refreshed the page, but I always ignored it. The name didn't appeal to me; I think it reminded me of the boy and girl scouts. About a week or so before I planned to publish, my computer was running slow maybe, and I got a closer look at it. So I tried it, not knowing that it would take over my life for the next 45 days. I don't regret that because I've learned a lot about marketing, my book got a lot of publicity, and I'm sure I'll sell more than I ever would have without having gone through this. Mostly what I've learned is how much I still have to learn. But the best part was this community of people offering advice and encouragement all along the way.  Thanks everyone, and good luck with all your books however you end up publishing them :)

Offline Jill James

• Biggest Little City in the World
    • View Profile
    • Jill James, romance writer
« Reply #24755 on: March 07, 2018, 07:41:46 PM »
Kay, can't believe how fast the time flew. It was a great experience and I enjoyed it a lot.
Ghostly Deceptions: 8%

Ghostly Perceptions: 1%
A Little Sweet. A Little Sexy. A Lot Happily-Ever-After.
Jill James | blog | website | Facebook | Twitter | newsletter

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24756 on: March 07, 2018, 07:43:05 PM »
I finally got my rejection email for hypnoSnatch this afternoon on day 13. I'd been expecting it after reading posts here in the last few days about new staff since August, and must have website, blog, Instagram, etc., so I'd already gone through feeling the disappointment by then (mostly). Of course, the good thing about not being selected is being able to publish as soon as I make some edits instead of having to wait 3 months.
I plan to make the book free for the first day or two so everyone who nominated can still get a free copy if I can figure out how to coordinate that with KS's notification.
Originally, I was going to publish at the end of January and really looking forward to it. I had never heard of Kindle Scout. For 3 years, I'd been seeing the KS banner on my KDP book sales report page flash in front of my eyes every time I refreshed the page, but I always ignored it. The name didn't appeal to me; I think it reminded me of the boy and girl scouts. About a week or so before I planned to publish, my computer was running slow maybe, and I got a closer look at it. So I tried it, not knowing that it would take over my life for the next 45 days. I don't regret that because I've learned a lot about marketing, my book got a lot of publicity, and I'm sure I'll sell more than I ever would have without having gone through this. Mostly what I've learned is how much I still have to learn. But the best part was this community of people offering advice and encouragement all along the way.  Thanks everyone, and good luck with all your books however you end up publishing them :)

Sorry yours wasn't selected. It was day 13 to receive mine, too.

At least a bunch of us within the past two months appear to be self-publishing ours before spring. So, we can see each other's works on the other side of these projects.

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24757 on: March 07, 2018, 07:52:12 PM »
Sorry yours wasn't selected. It was day 13 to receive mine, too.

At least a bunch of us within the past two months appear to be self-publishing ours before spring. So, we can see each other's works on the other side of these projects.

I tried again, but it seems like Kindle Unlimited doesn't give the option to pre-order, so I'll get your book when it's live.
Yes, the 13-day wait was long!

Offline AmWritingIrene

• View Profile
« Reply #24758 on: March 07, 2018, 08:53:46 PM »
Hi there! My book is YA, dystopian. I am a new author so my experience is most likely not the norm. I started off very strong with a few days in H&T and then my stats tanked. I have utterly flatlined ever since. My total H&T time is just over 100 hours and my pages views are 2400. I have 9 days left and expect a rejection letter. All in all, this has been a huge learning curve, very stressful, but also a good way to get my name out there. When I hit my total slump I tapped multiple resources and have used authorshout, Melrock (no traffic from that), JustKindleBooks, Fiverr, and readper (I am on their site now and will be in the newsletter on Saturday and hope for good results then). I consider the ups and downs as part of my journey.

Here is my campaign if you want to check it out
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/13HTZCAHEL9Z9

Hello,

My book is YA contemporary.  My page views are 1,900, but most of those were within the first four days.  I was really happy about that.  But I only have 7 days left and no time in H&T and have completely flatlined, like 10-20 views a day (agh! lol).  Having not spent anytime on H&T it made me a bit less compulsive about checking the site and my stats, so that's a good thing.

I am thinking of doing this again in the future.  Like others have mentioned, I feel like I've learned a lot about how to run a campaign.  I'd like to work on my Twitter following and create a FB fan page before I give it another go.  I think maybe if I had had a bit more of that in the beginning, I might have been able to get on the H&T for a bit.  I don't know?  But I was thrilled to have over 400 people look at my book in one day!  I know KS wise that might not be great (not sure), but either way it's nice, as many have commented, to have that exposure.
I've used Authorshout and would use them again.  I think they are bringing the 10-20 views each day to my page, and they have been really great to work with.

Right now I have one more space for nominations. Yesterday, (I think it was yesterday) I nominated:

After the Green Withered.  Your campaign started around the same time as mine, and I read it then.  It was one I had saved and gone back to.  I really like the first chapters!

If anyone would like to check out my campaign here's the link:https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/29NG0PQRM844G

Offline naviwang

• View Profile
    • navi wang
« Reply #24759 on: March 07, 2018, 11:27:09 PM »
Good to hear that the competition is high these days, 'cause otherwise I'd be freaking out right now! Thanks for sharing, all - this board seems to be the best source of fresh intel out there~~

I'm on my fourth day and had just over 1k page views during the first three days with zero outside promotion and traffic (so far). Aaaaaand . . . zero hours on H&T.  ??? TT_TT;
I'm with you there... day five, ~500 page views, no H&T. Can't tell if the color scheme of my cover is too boring, or if the competition is just too staggering :')
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2ORFFTRGX1Z8C

It's kind of interesting to hear that many scouts wait towards the end of the campaign for nominating. It makes sense as you have a limited number of slots, but isn't that also worse for the author (lowering the chance to hit H&T and subsequently the number of eyes that see the campaign)?

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24760 on: March 08, 2018, 01:07:16 AM »
It's kind of interesting to hear that many scouts wait towards the end of the campaign for nominating. It makes sense as you have a limited number of slots, but isn't that also worse for the author (lowering the chance to hit H&T and subsequently the number of eyes that see the campaign)?

Unless things have changed very recently, H&T is determined by both nominations and saves. So generally campaigns get a boost at the beginning (when Scouters will check out books in the newly added category and save ones they like the look of) and at the end when a book hits the ending soon category and gets a whole bunch of nominations. (Obviously there are also then people who come to the site just to nominate one book and will do it at any time in the campaign. Or Scouters who are extremely selective and only occasionally nominate and can therefore do it whenever.) But I don't think you should be disadvantaged by those waiting to nominate assuming they save your book early on.

The change that I believe has taken place recently (from what's been reported on this thread) is that H&T has become cumulative, so it seems to be harder to get on at the beginning of a campaign now when the book has no history and only a day or two of nominations. Obviously no one is actually privy to the exact algorithms behind H&T, however, so it's always possible that we're all totally off track about how it works!

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline Variath

• Ernakulam, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #24761 on: March 08, 2018, 01:44:33 AM »
Three slots are free and nominated:

Vengeance of Dracula by James Mascia
I Spy a Scarecrow by Bradon Nave
Undone by the Earl by Elizabeth Rue

Best of luck to all.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24762 on: March 08, 2018, 01:47:30 AM »
Okay, so it's Thursday. I've got a really crazy day ahead of me. A full day shift at work followed by a guest appearance at a local book launch tonight. I'll be leaving the house at about 8am and getting home by about 9pm.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! Goddess Rudra by Ignatius Variath
LAST DAY LEFT! Vengeance of Dracula by James Mascia
LAST DAY LEFT! I Spy a Scarecrow by Bradon Nave
LAST DAY LEFT! Undone by the Earl by Elizabeth Rue
LAST DAY LEFT! Paperclip by Dan Woll & Walter Rhein
1 day left Hexborn by A.M. Manay
2 days left Fatal Feast by Betty Kuffel
2 days left Sicarius Soul by Jade Kerrion
2 days left Somebody to Love by Aurelia Fray
2 days left Star Kin by Brian Toups
4 days left Lips of the Sun
7 days left A Trail of Embers by C.A. Kinnee
7 days left Mystic Evermore by Cecilia Hopkins
8 days left After the Green Withered by Kristin Ward
14 days left Tuning In: A Novel by Richard Roberts
15 days left Once in an Olive Moon by J.R. Laurence
15 days left On Holy Ground by Louise Cole
16 days left Future Warrior by Lexi Revellian
16 days left A Sensitive Situation by Lee Isserow
17 days left Dreaming of You and Me by Kristy Tate
17 days left Reclamation by Stephen D. Tucker
18 days left Worse Than Wicked by Kathryn Jankowski
18 days left Single and Looking, Daisy by Belinda Austin
18 days left Symphony of Death by Celina Summers
21 days left The Grand Unraveling by L.N. Heintz
21 days left Death In Vermilion by Barbara Elle
21 days left The Moon Thief by M.L. Hamilton
22 days left Bestseller by Carey Lewis
23 days left The Poet and the Muse by Navi Wang

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #24763 on: March 08, 2018, 03:14:39 AM »
Three slots are free and nominated:

Best of luck to all.

I nominated your book for its last day. I have Paperclip and Somebody to Love in the other two slots.

Good luck with the stretch run of your campaigns!

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24764 on: March 08, 2018, 04:11:20 AM »
Good points Louise.  I don't write to KS length. So you will never see KP on my works.  There are authors who are published and go through the KS process even still who have many works.

Why may be because they get the voters to add to their following some and follow through to their web site or author page - free advertising?

IF (big if) you win, KP does all the ads for you. But it is Amazon's playing field; they use their algos for free to promote the book. 50% royalty is how the author sort of pays for it I guess.

To me, all the excerpts are a lot of reading, much less the whole novels as you scan a lot of excerpts on the ones you really like. Till then it is one liners and blurbs, then the excerpt if you are intrigued. That's how I do it.  By far what I see on the leaderboard is NO ONE (almost all) are leaving reviews. I do some as I fast read most so-so books I won (huge bonus points when you do  :D)

I am not shirking my duty as a reader if my TBR is huge. I just pick what appeals to me not that I will get around to it if it wins. I have only picked up 3 (I did want a couple others but they did not go Indie) that did not win and they went Indie and read them (this over a couple years, so I am picky). They were good! But maybe that was just me and I have strange tastes - but they were H&T. They should have won. But KP picks the winners, and there are no longer that many that win - H&T or not.

I am sure there are a lot more people here that play this KS game differently, or are more avid readers than I am. I know I am really picky before I take on a full novel. I have done many and do not finish them. (and I do like the feature where if you have not read too far you can get your money back  :D I've done that a good bit too. )

Edited :

As a KS leaderboard member, I may have picked 20 of what I thought were the best; of that 20, I REALLY only like 1 real well, if it wins it is pretty much a, "Yeah, I will start this." If it loses, then I have to decide if I have time for it and maybe spend some money. Now things get serious.  ;D

I am the difference  = to what a KS author is and a discerning reader is (me). Most of the time I have 3 votes I use on books I am not too interested in - but if I win one of them (which now I usually don't - seems a lot of people are not winning) great. I have a TBR to go thru too.

I think this is truly the case. Most nominators only read the winning books that genuinely interest them, and few leave reviews. With that in mind, those of us who were NOT selected should not expect internal nominations to produce a lot of sales once the Now Available email goes out. I had more sales yesterday than after my first campaign since I launched immediately and priced at $0.99 rather than $3.99, but it was far from overwhelming.

Offline ronesa_aveela

• United States
    • View Profile
    • Ronesa Aveela
« Reply #24765 on: March 08, 2018, 05:23:14 AM »
I think this is truly the case. Most nominators only read the winning books that genuinely interest them, and few leave reviews. With that in mind, those of us who were NOT selected should not expect internal nominations to produce a lot of sales once the Now Available email goes out. I had more sales yesterday than after my first campaign since I launched immediately and priced at $0.99 rather than $3.99, but it was far from overwhelming.

That was my experience, as well. But the good point it that I'm sure most of those sales came from people who DID nominate the book. If not for the KS campaign, they wouldn't have known about the book in the first place. Every sale counts; every reader reached is moving in the right direction to build a fan base. :)

Offline Variath

• Ernakulam, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #24766 on: March 08, 2018, 06:07:30 AM »
I nominated your book for its last day. I have Paperclip and Somebody to Love in the other two slots.

Good luck with the stretch run of your campaigns!

Thank you JT. I am sure my campaign will be a flop! still there is no H & T. Anyway within 2/3 days will came to know.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24767 on: March 08, 2018, 06:20:55 AM »
That was my experience, as well. But the good point it that I'm sure most of those sales came from people who DID nominate the book. If not for the KS campaign, they wouldn't have known about the book in the first place. Every sale counts; every reader reached is moving in the right direction to build a fan base. :)

Yes, but you could have attracted engaged readers simply by advertising on your own, so we have to hope that the thousands of internal page views produce some sales, or at least page reads, for those of us in KU. It's too soon to say how much benefit I got directly from Kindle Scout. Based on yesterday's sales, the money I spent on FB ads etc. during my campaign might better have been spent on the launch. One good thing about campaign advertising is that it gives you a chance to engage potential readers without asking them to buy anything. I picked up a few newsletter subscribers and at least 200 followers on my Facebook author page, and those same people are "liking" my current FB announcement that the book is now available at $0.99. But how many are actually clicking through to buy? Like nominating a book on Scout, pressing the like button is supportive but not a financial commitment.       

Offline KrWard

• View Profile
    • Writing and My Three Sons
« Reply #24768 on: March 08, 2018, 06:47:36 AM »
Hello,

My book is YA contemporary.  My page views are 1,900, but most of those were within the first four days.  I was really happy about that.  But I only have 7 days left and no time in H&T and have completely flatlined, like 10-20 views a day (agh! lol).  Having not spent anytime on H&T it made me a bit less compulsive about checking the site and my stats, so that's a good thing.

I am thinking of doing this again in the future.  Like others have mentioned, I feel like I've learned a lot about how to run a campaign.  I'd like to work on my Twitter following and create a FB fan page before I give it another go.  I think maybe if I had had a bit more of that in the beginning, I might have been able to get on the H&T for a bit.  I don't know?  But I was thrilled to have over 400 people look at my book in one day!  I know KS wise that might not be great (not sure), but either way it's nice, as many have commented, to have that exposure.
I've used Authorshout and would use them again.  I think they are bringing the 10-20 views each day to my page, and they have been really great to work with.

Right now I have one more space for nominations. Yesterday, (I think it was yesterday) I nominated:

After the Green Withered.  Your campaign started around the same time as mine, and I read it then.  It was one I had saved and gone back to.  I really like the first chapters!

If anyone would like to check out my campaign here's the link:https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/29NG0PQRM844G

Thank you so much for nominating my book and giving me feedback! It is funny because I also saw your book when it launched as well and was intrigued by the excerpt and initial 1 1/2 chapters. The social aspects of high school are such relevant and relatable topics to explore. I will be nominating your book in the last couple of days of your campaign. Hopefully you will get a good boost at that time. Like you, I had a day with over 400 page views, but that was in the beginning. I am now down to 10-20 which is disappointing considering the marketing I have done but probably typical for this period in the campaign, especially since I am completely unknown.

I have a website and I blog every couple of weeks or so but my followers on my site are just friends at this point so I do not think that scouters are necessarily clicking the social links on my campaign page. I have also put a lot of effort into my twitter presence and its a lot of work to keep that up but I have accrued over 100 followers now, for me that is a lot!, and hope this could lead to a fan base when I publish. 

To be honest, I am ready to wrap up my campaign and let the chips fall where they may! I have learned so much through this experience and am finally at a point where I am not obsessed with my stats and checking H&T every hour, lol. In the end, I hope that my launch garnered some interest and that people will purchase and enjoy my book when I publish.

Now the review process...that is a whole other beast to tackle!

Offline townandrews

• View Profile
    • Unheard of Books
« Reply #24769 on: March 08, 2018, 06:48:32 AM »
I nominated I Spy a Scarecrow by Brandon Nave. Reading the excerpt, Brandon, I could really hear the narrator's "voice."

Town
A man, his herd, a horse. A girl, a cop, and a mule. Then, things get complicated.
Lips of the Sun is a candidate on Kindle Scout
W. Town Andrews, Jr | Lips of the Sun

Offline AaronFrale

• Minneapolis, MN
  • May the schwartz be with you.
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Page
« Reply #24770 on: March 08, 2018, 07:46:04 AM »
Hi Steve, If you wouldn't mind adding mine ORION, to the list:

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/PPY2AKJEWLW3

And I if I will toot my cover artist's horn a bit. I really love the cover of this one. I got really lucky to work with such talented artist.

Aaron Frale | Twitter | Facebook | Website

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #24771 on: March 08, 2018, 08:01:04 AM »
Had two slots open up and nominated:

Already had Goddess Rudra by Ignatius Variath in my third slot.

Then signed onto my wife's Amazon account and nominated:

Paperclip by Dan Woll & Walter Rhein

Best of luck to all five, and all those in the KS waiting room!

Mark

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #24772 on: March 08, 2018, 08:08:44 AM »

I knew a guy that did not win. He was H&T 100% almost. We talked a lot on the Write On board. He went $0 promo right away on not winning on his release. Boom! That way his voters could pick up the book for free. I did.  And he got some reviews. I gave one as a friend thing.

This really bumps your chances for follow-on after a lost campaign and pick up a couple reviews.

Reviews really help even if there are only a few starting out. Seems to me you get AMS preference a bit.

Maybe go wide $0 pulsed free for a couple weeks.  Then drop back to paid Select. Maybe KS can put out the word that it is available at $0 to the voters - it would be nice if they do that. I think you would pick up more follow

If not, still --- a $0 pulse would pick up some traffic after a no win. You have your mailing lists and such to let the readers know that it is for free for a bit.

I wished more would do that. I would pick up some that I sort of liked well.

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #24773 on: March 08, 2018, 08:24:50 AM »
/\  Good strategy. I considered going free with my launch but there was no way to add that information to the message that goes out to people letting them know the book is available. If Amazon could work that in to their message, I'm sure more people would do it (I would have) to get reviews.

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #24774 on: March 08, 2018, 08:33:36 AM »
Yes, but you could have attracted engaged readers simply by advertising on your own, so we have to hope that the thousands of internal page views produce some sales, or at least page reads, for those of us in KU. It's too soon to say how much benefit I got directly from Kindle Scout. Based on yesterday's sales, the money I spent on FB ads etc. during my campaign might better have been spent on the launch. One good thing about campaign advertising is that it gives you a chance to engage potential readers without asking them to buy anything. I picked up a few newsletter subscribers and at least 200 followers on my Facebook author page, and those same people are "liking" my current FB announcement that the book is now available at $0.99. But how many are actually clicking through to buy? Like nominating a book on Scout, pressing the like button is supportive but not a financial commitment.       

Hey Kay,

From a KS voter POV, I get several non-winner email notifications in 3 days and this happens all the time. Even at 99 cents that could be $14 a week.  No way am I that much a reader and that is a lot of money week after week for the average Joe if they picked up what they voted for.  That is a lot of cash at rock bottom 99 cents on Amazon still. So to me 99 cents is not an attracter. 

Now if they are $0 I am more likely to pick it up if it really intrigued me ...  :D.