mblart

Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2049338 times)  

Offline richard4507

• Marin County, California
    • View Profile
    • Richard Roberts' Site
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #24950 on: March 14, 2018, 09:46:35 AM »
Right now I'm in the deep, dark, muddy middle of my campaign. All the ups and downs on the page read chart are giving me motion sickness.

I'll confess to having used two services on Fiverr which are probably familiar to many of you (with underwhelming results). I thought they'd help, what with my being a Twitter ignoramus. Now, in the "external traffic sources" column there are a couple Fiverr URLs. What do you think--does this diminish the credibility of my overall results in the eyes of the KS editors? I know that if I were a KS editor, I'd view Fiverr promotions as suspect, especially since at least one of them (which I didn't use) is a click farm, and would make me suspect the total numbers as a result.

My biggest upswings so far are totally organic--from my own mailing list, and from a romance author friend's mailing list. But now I wonder if I've done more harm than good to my credibility by using these Fiverr services.

What do y'all think?

I'm in the same position with the same question. My hope is that they'll see our promotional traffic as a plus, a sign that we're willing to invest in our marketing and motivated enough to find traffic sources. If I were at Amazon, I'd want my author doing these things to drive sales...

(but this could all be wishful thinking)

-Richard

Offline jaxonreed

• View Profile
    • jaxonreed.com
« Reply #24951 on: March 14, 2018, 11:05:40 AM »
I just started a campaign for my book (a psychological/paranormal thriller titled My Hungry Friend) and I hear this is the place to come to learn how to run a campaign. Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1GRZ504YA452D

Welcome! This is a great place for advice. Going back 20 pages or so will give you a good idea of what you likely need to know.

Jaxon Reed | jaxonreed.com | readper.com

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #24952 on: March 14, 2018, 01:36:47 PM »
I've done okay promoting book two, hoping readers go back and pick up the first book. It doesn't work so well with book three. I've also discounted one and two at the same time. Right now, I have book one at $0.99 in all markets and book two on a Kindle Countdown deal at $0.99 in the U.S. and the U.K. In December, I ran a triple KCD with books one and three at $0.99 and book two at $1.99. That way, the whole set equaled the typical price of one book. I actually made money on that promo, which is hard to do these days. The increased KU page reads were an added bonus.

Like you, I like the idea of multiple trilogies. I was hoping that creating a spinoff series would provide the second entry point you mention. My first trilogy are portal stories that revolve around human characters trying to liberate the gnomes from an oppressive ruler and the aftermath of overthrowing her. The spinoff series takes place entirely in the gnome world, and most of the viewpoint characters are gnomes. It seemed a natural place in the story to make the break. I don't try to rehash the entire backstory at the beginning of the new series. Some points will be covered in upcoming books, but if readers are curious about people and events alluded to, they can go back and read the first series, and I hope they will. Kindle Scout editors were a bit wary about this approach, so only time will tell if I outsmarted myself by creating two series instead of one long one.         
It's truth that book 2 can sometimes be promoted. In fact, some promoters (Book Barbarian) have a package for promoting both books at the same time. I tried having a sale on all series titles, though, and that produced very little.

It would be nice if more promoters provided an option to promote a series. So many people have at least one, and then subscribers could be encouraged to buy something whether they're just starting the series or somewhere in the middle. I only know of one promoter (Ripley's Booklist) that really allows for that via custom ads).

Interestingly, I'm in the process of starting a spinoff series also. My original series had hit six books, and although the series in general was popular, it was taking people an awfully long time to work their way through it in some cases. I could have just ended it, but there were unanswered questions at the end of the last book. I considered writing book 7, but decided it would be better to make sort of a fresh start. The story is set in the same world, but with a different viewpoint character who is convinced the original characters are up to no good. New readers will enjoy a potential mystery, and old readers will wonder if something has changed and/or all is not what it seems. The new POV character is an investigative reporter who learns about the earlier characters and situations in an organic way. We'll see how that goes. I'll probably put it in Scout, though there's an other book coming first.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Francoag

• View Profile
« Reply #24953 on: March 14, 2018, 01:42:48 PM »
I ran my last campaign about a year ago. Pulse was contacting people with an active campaign. It appeared to be a form email, stated it liked the writing, and signed from their intern. I decided not to respond, but you may have a different take.

So, did you resubmit the novel KS didn't choose before? Or is this a new one?

Offline Francoag

• View Profile
« Reply #24954 on: March 14, 2018, 02:05:33 PM »
Well, I received my rejection letter a couple of days ago.  While disappointing, I must say the three pages of detailed editorial feedback I received from the Scout team proved invaluable.  At one point, I thought the Mayan aspect of my story wasn't developed  enough.  They told me I demonstrated solid prose and plot structuring skills, and did a fine job with historical flashback plot lines, particularly the way I developed the plot arc so it paralleled the present day plot line. 

The editors felt I needed to flesh out my MC's alcoholism a bit more, and the real-world implications of my politician's rise to power needed to be detailed and developed. Also, I used a journal to progress some of the plot, which they saw as a trope. If I planned to keep it in the novel, they suggested I have my MC read it at one sitting, instead of stretching it out by a few days. This will be the toughest part to change, as I'll have to rework a bunch of chapters that focused around what my MC learned in the journal. I also used the word "surely" too much in dialogue. The remainder of the feedback detailed all the punctuation errors within the novel. And, after a cursory review, there were a bunch. 

Needless to say, I've got some serious work ahead of me. The editorial feedback was great and soooo helpful. It was worth every minute I spent biting my nails on KS, LOL. 

Offline AaronFrale

• Minneapolis, MN
  • May the schwartz be with you.
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Page
« Reply #24955 on: March 14, 2018, 02:10:42 PM »
I filled up my nominations with the three about end today.

We are about to hit page 1000 with this thread! Should we have a celebration?

Aaron Frale | Twitter | Facebook | Website

Offline kawiggins

• BC, Canada
    • View Profile
    • K.A. Wiggins - YA Speculative Fiction
« Reply #24956 on: March 14, 2018, 03:04:46 PM »
Hi all. I got an interesting email today and wondered if any of you could give me insight as Im so green in the realm of publishing. Ive got three days left on my campaign and seriously think Ill get a rejection, especially considering the slew of rejections lately for books that have had exceptional reader responses. Im obviously planning to self publish but would love to have a good publisher if possible.

So today, I got an email from pulsepub.net basically saying they like what theyve seen of my writing (could be from my pitmad submission) and think I would be a good fit for their publication. I cant find much about them and their website is rather meh. Anyone else have this experience? Anyone else been approached by them?

I switched one of my nominations to catch you for the last day - good luck! But yeah, I'm not seeing a lot of action in the YA realm either lol. One of my nominations that closed this week had a rejection within 24hrs so that was disappointing.

Re: Pulsepub, I haven't had an email from them (yet?) but ever since my Scout campaign went live I've been getting spam from people offering promotion services and an "offer to publish" from eBooks2go which . . . yeah, that was definitely not legit. I haven't heard of Pulsepub, but my guess would be that you're better off going it alone if you got this far.

Also - Steve, if you wouldn't mind adding my campaign to the grand list? BLIND THE EYES (https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/E9IM6GHX3YIJ) is at day 19.

For the data nerds in the group, I got just over 1.5k organic views in the first week plus a few dozen hits off my social media, and I'm launching paid campaigns this week (but NOT with any of the spammers referenced above). Someone pointed out how there aren't new campaigns launched on Mon & Tues, so I guess I must have been pretty lucky with a Sunday launch date - three whole days of visibility! - or else the stats would probably be even lower.
rn
rnBLIND THE EYES (YA dystopian dark fantasy) now on Kindle Scout!
YA Speculative Fiction
K.A. Wiggins | website | newsletter | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads | Amazon Author Page | Pinterest | BookLikes

Offline KrWard

• View Profile
    • Writing and My Three Sons
« Reply #24957 on: March 14, 2018, 04:28:40 PM »
I switched one of my nominations to catch you for the last day - good luck! But yeah, I'm not seeing a lot of action in the YA realm either lol. One of my nominations that closed this week had a rejection within 24hrs so that was disappointing.

Re: Pulsepub, I haven't had an email from them (yet?) but ever since my Scout campaign went live I've been getting spam from people offering promotion services and an "offer to publish" from eBooks2go which . . . yeah, that was definitely not legit. I haven't heard of Pulsepub, but my guess would be that you're better off going it alone if you got this far.

Also - Steve, if you wouldn't mind adding my campaign to the grand list? BLIND THE EYES (https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/E9IM6GHX3YIJ) is at day 19.

For the data nerds in the group, I got just over 1.5k organic views in the first week plus a few dozen hits off my social media, and I'm launching paid campaigns this week (but NOT with any of the spammers referenced above). Someone pointed out how there aren't new campaigns launched on Mon & Tues, so I guess I must have been pretty lucky with a Sunday launch date - three whole days of visibility! - or else the stats would probably be even lower.

Thank you for the nomination! I really enjoyed your excerpt on KS and put save for later so I can nominate at the end of your campaign.

As for pulse, or rather their Propel YA division, it does make me wary so Im not planning on pursuing it just now. Well see how it goes on my own as I dont want to end up with a sketchy publication.

Best of luck on your campaign!

Kristin

Offline KrWard

• View Profile
    • Writing and My Three Sons
« Reply #24958 on: March 14, 2018, 04:31:06 PM »
I had two slots open:

Nominated

Trail of Embers
Mystic Evermore

Good luck 🍀

Offline AmWritingIrene

• View Profile
« Reply #24959 on: March 14, 2018, 05:00:50 PM »
I filled up my nominations with the three about end today.

We are about to hit page 1000 with this thread! Should we have a celebration?

Thank you for the nomination!

And, yes, I think a celebration 🍾 is in order for hitting 1000! Cheers 🥂

Offline CelinaSummers

• Tennessee
    • View Profile
    • The Cache Vault
« Reply #24960 on: March 14, 2018, 06:40:51 PM »
Hi all. I got an interesting email today and wondered if any of you could give me insight as Im so green in the realm of publishing. Ive got three days left on my campaign and seriously think Ill get a rejection, especially considering the slew of rejections lately for books that have had exceptional reader responses. Im obviously planning to self publish but would love to have a good publisher if possible.

So today, I got an email from pulsepub.net basically saying they like what theyve seen of my writing (could be from my pitmad submission) and think I would be a good fit for their publication. I cant find much about them and their website is rather meh. Anyone else have this experience? Anyone else been approached by them?

I greatly appreciate any insight!

Thank you!!!!
Kristin

The email you received is a form email. This type of approach online when someone is intrigued by your writing is frequently made by either vanity presses, scam agents, or very small epub/POD companies with contracts that are so unfavorable that you don't want to get tied up with one.

There are great sources for information about presses, agents, publishers, etc--especially when attached to an email like the one you received--is the Absolute Write Water Cooler. AW has a thread about Pulse Pub/EnrapturePulse already. You can check it out here: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?325180-Publisher-Pulse-LLC&highlight=PulsePub

The latest information on this "publisher" is all negative--non-payment of royalties, contract difficulties, and aren't responding to authors' trying to contact them.

I've been in digital publishing at all levels for a number of years. Usually if you get an offer that's too good to be true? That's because it is. I STRONGLY recommend you always do your due diligence. Check to see if AW has a thread on them. Believe me--they'll have threads on just about ANY publishing entity, good or bad. Also Preditors & Editors has an extensive history on every scam agency or press imaginable. You'll need to create accounts for both sites, but they're free and EXTREMELY responsive if you have questions. You can sign up for P&E at http://pred-ed.com/. Also, the SFWA's Writer Beware blog from Victoria Strauss is an outstanding resource for any author looking into a contract with any publisher or agent, and particularly sci fi/fantasy at http://www.sfwa.org/other-resources/for-authors/writer-beware/

Hope this helps, folks. Happy to answer any subsequent questions you might have.

The final bit of advice I can offer is very simple: hang on to your rights. Don't sign them away just so you can say that your book isn't self-published. I can guarantee you that it's much, much better for you to self-pub than it is to lose the rights to your own intellectual property for years or even longer. AW's golden rule is applicable to all aspect of the publishing game--Money flows to the author, not the other way around.  I know writers who signed away the lifetime rights to their work because they didn't read a publishing contract properly or didn't understand what they were agreeing to. There are a LOT of legit small presses out there that may be a great fit for you and your work. It's a lot easier to research a person or company BEFORE you start to worry that you may have made a bad deal.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:48:50 PM by CelinaSummers »

Never  p*ss  off a witch.
Celina Summers | Elf Killing And Other Hobbies | The CacheVault | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Amazon

Offline richard4507

• Marin County, California
    • View Profile
    • Richard Roberts' Site
« Reply #24961 on: March 14, 2018, 06:58:42 PM »
I just started a campaign for my book (a psychological/paranormal thriller titled My Hungry Friend) and I hear this is the place to come to learn how to run a campaign. Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1GRZ504YA452D

see lincoln cole's good article on scout promotion

the only Fiverr one I did was Melanie Rocket - inconclusive results because, according to her, Amazon's reporting doesn't track Twitter traffic well

so i just looked at overall traffic/overall spend for the past week (while I wasn't doing any personal outreach) and figured it cost me $.50-1.00 per visit from a mix of the below (ad vehicle and spend):

https://authorshout.com/ $10
Lincoln Cole   $32
Melanie Rocket   $63
JustKindleBooks   $38
Jaxon Reed (Readper) $12

hope this helps - good luck
-Richard

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24962 on: March 14, 2018, 07:11:42 PM »
Multiple series also gives one the possibility of reaching the widest possible audience. Some of them can be in KU and some wide. That gives you the best of both worlds, at least for the moment.

The only problem with that approach is that it does take longer to get out the next volume in each series. However, four (or more) series for promotional purposes doesn't mean all of them are still being added to. I'm now thinking more in terms of trilogies than long series, which means I probably want have more than three actively expanding at any one time.

More than three series seems very ambitious! I might try the second vampire series to see if it sells better because it's more mainstream. I'm still waiting to see how the world will react to my KS book, but I was thrilled to get my first review from the UK last night, "different, weird, but in a good way."

Thanks everyone who got my book, and to the people whose books I have, I'll try to get started on them soon.

Kay, I'll let you know when I'm done with yours. I'm definitely interested in reading your full feedback letter.

I got my survey email from KS today, but I'm not ready to do that yet. "It seems strange that no books have been selected for so long," I might say.

Offline naviwang

• View Profile
    • navi wang
« Reply #24963 on: March 14, 2018, 10:45:02 PM »
so i just looked at overall traffic/overall spend for the past week (while I wasn't doing any personal outreach) and figured it cost me $.50-1.00 per visit from a mix of the below (ad vehicle and spend):

https://authorshout.com/ $10
Lincoln Cole   $32
Melanie Rocket   $63
JustKindleBooks   $38
Jaxon Reed (Readper) $12

I'd love to hear about others' thoughts on these, as most of the articles suggesting them are a few years old. Are they effective in driving views to your campaign? Or has the efficacy of these gone down now that the market is saturated with recs?

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24964 on: March 14, 2018, 11:18:54 PM »
I had two slots open:

Nominated

Trail of Embers
Mystic Evermore

Good luck 🍀

Thank you KR

Offline terriluckey

• View Profile
    • Terri Luckey
« Reply #24965 on: March 15, 2018, 02:24:51 AM »
I'm running a Kindle Scout campaign for my YA book Fearless and would appreciate any nominations. https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2FIFMM1QYOWXQ I've also been reading the thread to learn more. Great advice, everyone. Thank you.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24966 on: March 15, 2018, 03:31:58 AM »
It's Thursday and I'm running late for work. I just wanted to point out that this is our 1000th page of this thread, which I think is freaking awesome!

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! A Trail of Embers by C.A. Kinnee
LAST DAY LEFT! Mystic Evermore by Cecilia Hopkins
LAST DAY LEFT! On Trial by Irene Lee
1 day left After the Green Withered by Kristin Ward
7 days left Tuning In: A Novel by Richard Roberts
8 days left Once in an Olive Moon by J.R. Laurence
8 days left On Holy Ground by Louise Cole
9 days left Future Warrior by Lexi Revellian
9 days left A Sensitive Situation by Lee Isserow
10 days left Dreaming of You and Me by Kristy Tate
10 days left Reclamation by Stephen D. Tucker
11 days left Worse Than Wicked by Kathryn Jankowski
11 days left Single and Looking, Daisy by Belinda Austin
11 days left Symphony of Death by Celina Summers
14 days left The Grand Unraveling by L.N. Heintz
14 days left Death In Vermilion by Barbara Elle
14 days left The Moon Thief by M.L. Hamilton
15 days left Bestseller by Carey Lewis
16 days left The Poet and the Muse by Navi Wang
22 days left Orion by Aaron Frale
23 days left Cutting Edges: Or, A Web of Women by Ruth Nestvold
28 days left My Hungry Friend by Daniel Barnett
28 days left SPED-BOT by Billy Decarlo

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't d
dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts.
No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Online MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24967 on: March 15, 2018, 05:53:18 AM »
Just double-checking, the Kindle Scout character count maximum for blurb, etc is including spaces, right?

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #24968 on: March 15, 2018, 06:00:41 AM »
I'd love to hear about others' thoughts on these, as most of the articles suggesting them are a few years old. Are they effective in driving views to your campaign? Or has the efficacy of these gone down now that the market is saturated with recs?

Lincoln Cole's newsletter generated a fair bit of traffic for me. Melrock's service, given the price point, seems like a waste of money - she has a big following on Twitter (as claimed) but there is no engagement with any of her posts.

Happy 1000th page~!~!

Offline Jada Ryker

• Bardstown, Kentucky
  • Backpacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24969 on: March 15, 2018, 06:17:26 AM »
So, did you resubmit the novel KS didn't choose before? Or is this a new one?
My first campaign in 2016 the book was selected. The second campaign in 2017 was for a brand-new book, which was not selected. I don't know if I'll try a third campaign. There are lots of positives with a campaign (like increased visibility for the launch) regardless if it's selected or not selected.

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #24970 on: March 15, 2018, 06:37:07 AM »
Had one slot open and nominated:

On Trial by Irene Lee

Already had A Trail of Embers by C.A. Kinnee and Mystic Evermore by Cecilia Hopkins in my other two slots.

Good luck to all three!

Mark

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #24971 on: March 15, 2018, 07:22:24 AM »
More than three series seems very ambitious! I might try the second vampire series to see if it sells better because it's more mainstream. I'm still waiting to see how the world will react to my KS book, but I was thrilled to get my first review from the UK last night, "different, weird, but in a good way."
Yes, it is ambitious. That's why I mentioned it took me more than five years to even get close. It sounds as if you have a good plan for expanding your base.

What's way out there today may be mainstream tomorrow. Weird in a good way is a great compliment as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps you are the wave of the future. :)

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24972 on: March 15, 2018, 07:27:09 AM »
Just double-checking, the Kindle Scout character count maximum for blurb, etc is including spaces, right?

Yes, unfortunately! The editors made a suggestion about my blurb content, and I wanted to say, "I would have included that information if I had another 100 characters!"

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24973 on: March 15, 2018, 07:30:51 AM »
It's truth that book 2 can sometimes be promoted. In fact, some promoters (Book Barbarian) have a package for promoting both books at the same time. I tried having a sale on all series titles, though, and that produced very little.

It would be nice if more promoters provided an option to promote a series. So many people have at least one, and then subscribers could be encouraged to buy something whether they're just starting the series or somewhere in the middle. I only know of one promoter (Ripley's Booklist) that really allows for that via custom ads).

Interestingly, I'm in the process of starting a spinoff series also. My original series had hit six books, and although the series in general was popular, it was taking people an awfully long time to work their way through it in some cases. I could have just ended it, but there were unanswered questions at the end of the last book. I considered writing book 7, but decided it would be better to make sort of a fresh start. The story is set in the same world, but with a different viewpoint character who is convinced the original characters are up to no good. New readers will enjoy a potential mystery, and old readers will wonder if something has changed and/or all is not what it seems. The new POV character is an investigative reporter who learns about the earlier characters and situations in an organic way. We'll see how that goes. I'll probably put it in Scout, though there's an other book coming first.

Your idea for the spinoff sounds good to me. You're starting with an interesting conflict and building the story from there.

Offline alexiscorinne

• View Profile
« Reply #24974 on: March 15, 2018, 08:10:52 AM »
From curious to vigilante a killer evolves...

My debut novel, Dead Letters, is currently in Kindle Scout! A psychological crime thriller, that keeps you turning pages with curiosity!

I would absolutely love the support!

http://bit.ly/DeadLettersAC