Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1970668 times)  

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #25075 on: March 19, 2018, 10:31:56 PM »
Mystic Evermore wasn't selected  :( , but that is not why I am posting. Once again I notice a whole bunch of titles ending together - and all two days to go, which as they also have last day is really three days.

I don't think it's fair some books encounter big batches, while others have significantly less competition, at least for nominations & page views.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:34:08 PM by Cecelia »

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #25076 on: March 20, 2018, 03:22:48 AM »
It's Tuesday. I've got a half-shift at work and then I took some time off in the afternoon to get to an appointment.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

2 days left Tuning In: A Novel by Richard Roberts
3 days left Once in an Olive Moon by J.R. Laurence
3 days left On Holy Ground by Louise Cole
4 days left Future Warrior by Lexi Revellian
4 days left A Sensitive Situation by Lee Isserow
5 days left Dreaming of You and Me by Kristy Tate
5 days left Reclamation by Stephen D. Tucker
6 days left Worse Than Wicked by Kathryn Jankowski
6 days left Single and Looking, Daisy by Belinda Austin
6 days left Symphony of Death by Celina Summers
9 days left The Grand Unraveling by L.N. Heintz
9 days left Death In Vermilion by Barbara Elle
9 days left The Moon Thief by M.L. Hamilton
9 days left Days in Tethers by Michael Shina Crown
10 days left Bestseller by Carey Lewis
11 days left The Poet and the Muse by Navi Wang
16 days left Love and Hate by Ryan Armstrong
17 days left Orion by Aaron Frale
18 days left Cutting Edges: Or, A Web of Women by Ruth Nestvold
18 days left Fearless by Terri Luckey
19 days left Dead Letters by Alexis Corinne
19 days left Loner's Heart by Anne Carrole
23 days left My Hungry Friend by Daniel Barnett
23 days left SPED-BOT by Billy Decarlo
26 days left The Truth About Fairy Tales by D.M. Chappell

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you have just been told that your book HASN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline AnneC

• View Profile
    • Anne's Website
« Reply #25077 on: March 20, 2018, 08:09:13 AM »
Hi Steve
Can you add my book, The Loners Heart to the Kindle Scout list? Here is the link:
https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/3TVDFIA3O37RX
Anne Carrole
, ,

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #25078 on: March 20, 2018, 08:18:03 AM »
Mystic Evermore wasn't selected  :( , but that is not why I am posting. Once again I notice a whole bunch of titles ending together - and all two days to go, which as they also have last day is really three days.

I don't think it's fair some books encounter big batches, while others have significantly less competition, at least for nominations & page views.

The staff doesn't work on weekends, so if you submit a campaign from Friday night through Sunday night, you're likely to get an email okaying your campaign on Monday. Since they always allow a couple days before your campaign starts, that means all the campaigns okayed on Monday start on Wednesday. If you don't want to be part of the Wednesday pile-up, submit midweek. On the bright side, those who start on Wednesday approach the end of their campaigns with NO campaigns ending for a couple days, so they're likely to get more nominations five days out instead of the last three days. In any case, nominations are only one factor in selection so it's best not to worry about it. 

Offline Jada Ryker

• Bardstown, Kentucky
  • Backpacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #25079 on: March 20, 2018, 09:02:48 AM »
It's Tuesday. I've got a half-shift at work and then I took some time off in the afternoon to get to an appointment.

Scanning through the posts...

half-shift

I read without the (crucial) f. Hmmm... next glance falls on

appointment

Conclusion: Good thing Steve's getting a doctor's appointment for that half you-know-what.

Offline RuthNestvold

• View Profile
    • Ruth Nestvold's blog
« Reply #25080 on: March 20, 2018, 10:03:07 AM »
Nominated:

Once in an Olive Moon by J.R. Laurence
On Holy Ground by Louise Cole
Tuning In: A Novel by Richard Roberts

Good luck, everyone!

Ruth Nestvold

Blog   Twitter

Award Winning Author of Fantasy & SF

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #25081 on: March 20, 2018, 10:10:42 AM »
Scanning through the posts...

half-shift

I read without the (crucial) f. Hmmm... next glance falls on

appointment

Conclusion: Good thing Steve's getting a doctor's appointment for that half you-know-what.

Man, I just HATE when that happens... :)

Offline richard4507

• Marin County, California
    • View Profile
    • Richard Roberts' Site
« Reply #25082 on: March 20, 2018, 10:25:01 AM »
Nominated:

Once in an Olive Moon by J.R. Laurence
On Holy Ground by Louise Cole
Tuning In: A Novel by Richard Roberts

Good luck, everyone!

Ruth - thanks for nominating TUNING IN!

just two days left - I'm on pins and needles - really appreciate everyone's support on here :)

(and, two slots opened for me so I nominated Once in an Olive Moon and On Holy Ground)

Offline TascheLaine

• View Profile
    • Tasche Laine, Author
« Reply #25083 on: March 20, 2018, 10:51:36 AM »
Ruth - thanks for nominating TUNING IN!

just two days left - I'm on pins and needles - really appreciate everyone's support on here :)

(and, two slots opened for me so I nominated Once in an Olive Moon and On Holy Ground)

Hey everyone, I've been staying active with the nominations. It's been fun to support fellow writers when I can be on the sidelines and not so invested! I keep my slots full, just don't announce it every time. But I have to say, I WANT TO READ TUNING IN! If you haven't yet, do yourself a favor and check this out! Good luck Richard! They have to publish something eventually or scouts will stop participating--it might as well be yours! (and should be)  ;D

~Tasche
Just self-published my first book! The dream comes true!
Tasche Laine | blog | Facebook | Twitter | Website | Goodreads | Amazon

Online Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #25084 on: March 20, 2018, 02:37:15 PM »

Nominated :

Tuning In
Blisthecraft
Shadow Born

2 days out for now. That's all there is. "Tuning In" looks real interesting I hope this is the winner.

Online Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #25085 on: March 20, 2018, 07:06:12 PM »
Not sure why they are shy of accepting more KS books, so I looked at how the new editorial team where performing. These are the ranks of the books picked by the new editorial team since August 2017. These don't include the recent ones that are on advance order or not yet available (4 in total).

It's hard to say how they are doing in relation to earning out the advance royalty without knowing the numbers involved to attain and maintain those ranks against the retail price. I can only go by my own August 2017 reject which currently averages around 48/55,000 rank with 48 sales this month so far at $2 royalty + borrows.

Obviously the ranks fluctuate.

3,217 $3.99 Romance
No rank
3,696 $2.99 romance/sport /military
Pre December-----------------------------------

Still as clear as mud as to why the slowdown in acceptances. Any ideas from those sort of ranks? Do you think it because they are not making a quick enough return on the advance with these ranks? For the 17 books listed, they will have paid out $25,000.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:49:21 PM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Billingsgate

• Hong Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #25086 on: March 20, 2018, 07:39:03 PM »
Thanks to those nominating my book ONCE IN AN OLIVE MOON in its final run. And to those posting here to declare their nominations for books not on Steve's daily list, I'm not sure why you'd want to tell the rest of us. Seriously, it's a bit of an insult. May I implore you to switch your nominations to books by those of us contributing to this forum? I've been nominating outside my genre, to help my fellows here.

I'll have some interesting statistics to contribute when it's over. A few days into my campaign I decided to not spend another penny on promoting my book, but only my own time and effort. I really wanted to see what my own efforts would bring (plus another person's mailing list, which I'll explain in my report in a couple days). My overall numbers have been a wild roller coaster ride, and I've been on H&T probably 65% of the time, but the averages are not in the same lofty range as others who've posted here.

Fingers crossed as the finish line approaches, but I'm being realistic. I am considering whether self-publishing will be worth it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:40:47 PM by Billingsgate »

Offline armstrong2700

• View Profile
« Reply #25087 on: March 20, 2018, 07:48:41 PM »
Thanks to those nominating my book ONCE IN AN OLIVE MOON in its final run. And to those posting here to declare their nominations for books not on Steve's daily list, I'm not sure why you'd want to tell the rest of us. Seriously, it's a bit of an insult. May I implore you to switch your nominations to books by those of us contributing to this forum? I've been nominating outside my genre, to help my fellows here.

I'll have some interesting statistics to contribute when it's over. A few days into my campaign I decided to not spend another penny on promoting my book, but only my own time and effort. I really wanted to see what my own efforts would bring (plus another person's mailing list, which I'll explain in my report in a couple days). My overall numbers have been a wild roller coaster ride, and I've been on H&T probably 65% of the time, but the averages are not in the same lofty range as others who've posted here.

Thanks Steve.  Well said!  Good Luck, I have you nominated and am pulling for you.

Ryan
Fingers crossed as the finish line approaches, but I'm being realistic. I am considering whether self-publishing will be worth it.

Offline Billingsgate

• Hong Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #25088 on: March 20, 2018, 08:09:38 PM »
Nominated :

Tuning In
Blisthecraft
Shadow Born

2 days out for now. That's all there is. "Tuning In" looks real interesting I hope this is the winner.
Would you consider switching your bottom two nominations to those of us on the daily list, in need of nominations? I'm talking about ONCE IN AN OLIVE MOON and ON HOLY GROUND?

Not to get personal, but it's a bit of a slap in the face to those of us contributing to this forum and supporting to one another, to be publicly told that our titles are being passed over.

Online Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #25089 on: March 20, 2018, 10:23:30 PM »
Would you consider switching your bottom two nominations to those of us on the daily list, in need of nominations? I'm talking about ONCE IN AN OLIVE MOON and ON HOLY GROUND?

Not to get personal, but it's a bit of a slap in the face to those of us contributing to this forum and supporting to one another, to be publicly told that our titles are being passed over.

;D  Yes, when they roll into last day to go.  Ranking (which is of interest to me - (Amazon may make that more important somehow, which is yet to be seen, not that anyone gets anything), - is super tight in the 90s. I want to land in the 80s. Some guys around me just won't give up easily, and we tend to pick the same books (interesting) when there are several to chose from. Have to keep accumulating points.

Steve's list does reflect the interested authors here and he does give the days to go. So I will post nominations accordingly going forward.  ;D

It is not a slap against anyone. Just points I get on the most interesting to me that is the closest to rolling off - that gains me points.

Key here is "most interesting". I can easily catch the two you mention in a day. I have enough TBR from KS to last half a year if I read them all (which I won't) back to back. But they are not all in the genres or styles I like - they are just what I thought were the best.

Plus it seems I out perform picks on the guys I am seeing in my group. I think everyone who is an active Scout will suffer in that data point going forward likely. Maybe KP picks up the pace. But KP may be suffering the same paradigm most authors here are seeing - lack of traction and nothing sticks well or at all. So maybe KP is trying to think this through.

It should not stop us from being a Scout and writing what we like. 

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #25090 on: March 21, 2018, 02:42:38 AM »
Folks need to keep in mind that the editors select books based on a host of factors, and a few extra nominations from people on this thread will not get your book selected. Please dont stress. This thread is primarily for information and comraderie during a Scout campaign, and the few extra nominations are a fringe benefit.

Offline Billingsgate

• Hong Kong
    • View Profile
« Reply #25091 on: March 21, 2018, 03:16:59 AM »
Folks need to keep in mind that the editors select books based on a host of factors, and a few extra nominations from people on this thread will not get your book selected. Please dont stress. This thread is primarily for information and comraderie during a Scout campaign, and the few extra nominations are a fringe benefit.
Very much understood. I wouldn't say I'm stressed about anything. But as I'll reveal in my statistics after my campaign ends, I've found my page views cruising the borderline of what is "Hot & Trending". From my own rough calculations based on my book's performance (yours may differ), daily totals of 75 page views or more correspond with being on H&T for most or all of the day, while lower daily total page views correspond with zero or very low H&T. That's an average of 3 page views per hour throughout the day. Yes yes yes, I know I know, some hours are higher traffic than others. And yes, of course I know that other unknown factors determine H&T placement. BUT it's clear to me that "a few extra nominations" can make all the difference in putting a book over the top at any given time. And when page views are running 66% KS/ 34% external like mine, those one or two extra nominations which put me in H&T will help me get more organic nominations from KS.

So...I'm not stressed. But since the only control we have in the midst of a campaign is to play the game of getting as many nominations as possible, yes I absolutely am interested in those one or two extra nominations. Whether or not it ends up influencing the editors is anyone's guess. But at least I might as well try.

Rant over.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #25092 on: March 21, 2018, 03:29:20 AM »
It's Wednesday. I woke up this morning with no internet. The server was down for maintenance. I'm sure I had received notice and just forgot about it - but I was a little freaked out for a moment or two.

My appointment yesterday turned out to be nothing at all. They doused me with eye drops and poked and prodded my pupils and decided that I probably wasn't going blind, I just had a really mean Eastwood squint, was all.

Either that, or my eyes had lost their internet connection.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left Tuning In: A Novel by Richard Roberts
2 days left Once in an Olive Moon by J.R. Laurence
2 days left On Holy Ground by Louise Cole
3 days left Future Warrior by Lexi Revellian
3 days left A Sensitive Situation by Lee Isserow
4 days left Dreaming of You and Me by Kristy Tate
4 days left Reclamation by Stephen D. Tucker
5 days left Worse Than Wicked by Kathryn Jankowski
5 days left Single and Looking, Daisy by Belinda Austin
5 days left Symphony of Death by Celina Summers
8 days left The Grand Unraveling by L.N. Heintz
8 days left Death In Vermilion by Barbara Elle
8 days left The Moon Thief by M.L. Hamilton
8 days left Days in Tethers by Michael Shina Crown
9 days left Bestseller by Carey Lewis
10 days left The Poet and the Muse by Navi Wang
15 days left Love and Hate by Ryan Armstrong
16 days left Orion by Aaron Frale
17 days left Cutting Edges: Or, A Web of Women by Ruth Nestvold
17 days left Fearless by Terri Luckey
18 days left Dead Letters by Alexis Corinne
18 days left Loner's Heart by Anne Carrole
22 days left My Hungry Friend by Daniel Barnett
22 days left SPED-BOT by Billy Decarlo
25 days left The Truth About Fairy Tales by D.M. Chappell

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you have just been told that your book HASN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
    • View Profile
    • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
« Reply #25093 on: March 21, 2018, 05:20:58 AM »
Not sure why they are shy of accepting more KS books, so I looked at how the new editorial team where performing. These are the ranks of the books picked by the new editorial team since August 2017. These don't include the recent ones that are on advance order or not yet available (4 in total).

It's hard to say how they are doing in relation to earning out the advance royalty without knowing the numbers involved to attain and maintain those ranks against the retail price. I can only go by my own August 2017 reject which currently averages around 48/55,000 rank with 48 sales this month so far at $2 royalty + borrows.

3,217 $3.99 Romance
No rank

Still as clear as mud as to why the slowdown in acceptances. Any ideas from those sort of ranks? Do you think it because they are not making a quick enough return on the advance with these ranks? For the 17 books listed, they will have paid out $25,000.

That's really interesting, Decon. It seems to me that the new staff are trying to put their own stamp on Kindle Scout/Press, and do things differently from the original team. I wish we had equivalent stats from before August - I'd love to know how their efforts compare in terms of sales and income.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #25094 on: March 21, 2018, 06:29:34 AM »

3,217 $3.99 Romance
No rank

I'm guessing the editors have rough guidelines in terms of how KP needs to perform financially. A lot of people not earning out quickly might be one reason for the slowdown in acceptances, but, as you say, it's hard to know what rankings mean in terms of income, particularly because rankings are influenced by borrows, but a borrow by itself doesn't generate royalties.

It's also important to keep in mind that the ranking at any one moment is just a snapshot. It doesn't take long for a book to drop if sales aren't constant. Conversely, I've had books in the cellar (below 1 million in rank), climb 900,000 ranks or more on just one sale. The book at 489,894 now could have been ranking much better in earlier months.

Of course, no publisher is transparent about how it picks books. Because of the KS process, KP is actually a little more transparent--but not much.

It's too bad that KP doesn't get to participate in some of the programs for other imprints, like Kindle First Reads. It sounds as if the new team isn't promoting as much in general, which is unfortunate. But other publishers are like that, too. Plants need water to grow, but the ones that get watered the most are the ones already growing like crazy.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Online Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #25095 on: March 21, 2018, 08:44:06 AM »
I'm guessing the editors have rough guidelines in terms of how KP needs to perform financially. A lot of people not earning out quickly might be one reason for the slowdown in acceptances, but, as you say, it's hard to know what rankings mean in terms of income, particularly because rankings are influenced by borrows, but a borrow by itself doesn't generate royalties.

It's also important to keep in mind that the ranking at any one moment is just a snapshot. It doesn't take long for a book to drop if sales aren't constant. Conversely, I've had books in the cellar (below 1 million in rank), climb 900,000 ranks or more on just one sale. The book at 489,894 now could have been ranking much better in earlier months.

Of course, no publisher is transparent about how it picks books. Because of the KS process, KP is actually a little more transparent--but not much.

It's too bad that KP doesn't get to participate in some of the programs for other imprints, like Kindle First Reads. It sounds as if the new team isn't promoting as much in general, which is unfortunate. But other publishers are like that, too. Plants need water to grow, but the ones that get watered the most are the ones already growing like crazy.

Yup, a few sales a month can bump your rank a lot. I've had a couple buys and it shoots up (but you are really still pretty low) and the tail is pretty long to fall back down.

What I am seeing is reviews count for a lot.  Plus your AMS campaign bid being high and with good reviews, you will be picked up.  I have no reviews, so I suspect I get passed over 100x more than not. The book is new, and I can't get any traction. Reviews I think is driving that.

The trick is - You can spend $300 on a $400 return and net $100 a month. That translates into a few sales a day depending on the price point.  Simple ROI math - so spend $3000 a month on ads and get $4000 return.

But I think you would run up against a period where you are just blowing money and no return or operate at a loss. And that is the fear. 

I am more one to risk $30 a month and hope to get $40 and net $10,  ;D  If I lose $30 or so and get buys and it be a lose - not so much pain involved. Beer money, actually if I make profit :D plus it is your encouragement to write more.  But I can't even do that.

I am getting over my sulking period and will start writing again.  :-\ why, oh why ...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 08:46:54 AM by Max 007 »

Offline amiblackwelder

• Florida
  • AngelFire Chronicles
    • View Profile
    • Ami Blackwelder's Novels
« Reply #25096 on: March 21, 2018, 09:12:50 AM »
Yes, another reaction from KS, but that is ok since I was picked up by a small press publisher. I'd going to throw my net this year to small presses.

Angry robot
Diversion books
Creativia

Any others out there you guys like?

Online Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #25097 on: March 21, 2018, 09:59:03 AM »
That's really interesting, Decon. It seems to me that the new staff are trying to put their own stamp on Kindle Scout/Press, and do things differently from the original team. I wish we had equivalent stats from before August - I'd love to know how their efforts compare in terms of sales and income.

Decon did well enough. We can assume a little. Seems they have a couple of laggards. They all do pay back slowly it seems. No one book knocks it out of the ball park.  I hope KP does well ... otherwise KS will disappear. 

But too, for Kindle to be made more viable, Amazon almost has to have something like KP. KS is just a simple LI system of new work.  Sans a forum, KS is easy upkeep. Lots of stats for the authors, and a tiny bit for Scouts. So this continues, even at a slower pace, ROI thing for Amazon.

Now if KS would just take novellas at 18k words ... I could play too  ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 10:01:30 AM by Max 007 »

Online Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #25098 on: March 21, 2018, 10:43:54 AM »
I wonder ... has anyone submitted a short work to KS?  I think I saw one. I know I have seen an anthology of short works, Lexi was in it and Lincoln.

Would KS put up a fuss if a novella showed up?

It could get views and some feedback and not selected as it was too short kind of thing. Still it would help a launch.

Or would it get rejected at submission ... anyone try this?

I wonder ...

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
    • View Profile
    • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
« Reply #25099 on: March 21, 2018, 10:55:47 AM »
I wonder ... has anyone submitted a short work to KS?  I think I saw one. I know I have seen an anthology of short works, Lexi was in it and Lincoln.

Would KS put up a fuss if a novella showed up?

It could get views and some feedback and not selected as it was too short kind of thing. Still it would help a launch.

Or would it get rejected at submission ... anyone try this?

I wonder ...

The KP authors anthology was private enterprise by Lincoln. Submissions to Kindle Scout have to be over 50,000 words, so anything shorter would not be accepted for a campaign.