Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2065868 times)  

Offline JsFan

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #25575 on: April 16, 2018, 07:44:01 AM »
Hey Steve, you can remove Crow Creek from the list. I requested to remove my campaign and they granted it. Thanks!

If I had a book in KS I'd ask to get it back. I've been feeling like what's the point of nominating books? It's like KS has closed shop already.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #25576 on: April 16, 2018, 09:43:06 AM »
If I had a book in KS I'd ask to get it back. I've been feeling like what's the point of nominating books? It's like KS has closed shop already.
It's not impossible some books might still be picked, and KP will continue even though KS will be gone.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Matthew Speak

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • MatthewSpeak.com
« Reply #25577 on: April 16, 2018, 09:49:02 AM »

Yeah, I wasn't hitting hot and trending very much...feel like traffic this time around was pretty low, what with the big red banner at the top that says, "closed to submissions." I just had a gut feeling it wasn't going to do me any good to stay in the campaign, so it would be best for me to pull out. I totally get why others are staying in, and I hope they get chosen!!
Devils Glen, a Kindle Scout selection, is now available on Amazon!

Crow Creek now available for pre-orders!

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
    • View Profile
    • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
« Reply #25578 on: April 16, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »
It's not impossible some books might still be picked, and KP will continue even though KS will be gone.

I'd be very surprised if any books were selected. Very, very surprised.

Offline cyberianexile

• los angeles
    • View Profile
« Reply #25579 on: April 16, 2018, 10:23:28 AM »
Well, sadly it appears the nominators might have left the building.  To my knowledge (since it looks like the H&T is working because it is constantly changing) my book hasn't had a single hour of H&T to date, which is unusual given that it is on its last three days and how many views it had before the stats were removed.  Yes, I have been looking every hour... just can't help myself.  If you haven't yet nominated the next set on the list I know I, and I would guess the others still running campaigns, would appreciate any bones you could throw our way.

I'm still here, stubbornly nominating, even though every day I wake up to an email thanking me for nominating X, which was not chosen for publication....

Offline AnyaPavelle

• Florida
  • The world enthralls me.
    • View Profile
    • Anya Pavelle's Scriptorium
« Reply #25580 on: April 16, 2018, 10:36:55 AM »
Even though it may be futile, I'm still nominating as much as possible, mostly focusing on books ending soon to maximize my votes. I suppose I've always been an optimist at heart.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #25581 on: April 16, 2018, 10:52:08 AM »
I'd be very surprised if any books were selected. Very, very surprised.
You're probably right. It would be nice, though, if they had decided not to pick anymore if they had just cancelled the whole thing and been done with it.

Without KS, it might well be asked what purpose KP serves. Amazon already had imprints in all the major genres. The poor stepchild structure of KP makes a degree of sense with KS to feed it potential books, but I wonder how many agents will bother with an imprint that expects the cover to be completely designed, the editing to be 99% done--and then promotes rather haphazardly.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
    • View Profile
« Reply #25582 on: April 16, 2018, 11:20:06 AM »
You're probably right. It would be nice, though, if they had decided not to pick anymore if they had just cancelled the whole thing and been done with it.

Without KS, it might well be asked what purpose KP serves. Amazon already had imprints in all the major genres. The poor stepchild structure of KP makes a degree of sense with KS to feed it potential books, but I wonder how many agents will bother with an imprint that expects the cover to be completely designed, the editing to be 99% done--and then promotes rather haphazardly.

But until the present staff took over sometime around last August, KP was excellent. I liked having control over my cover, I'm happy to do my own editing, and for my books at any rate the promotions were regular and effective. The sales of my KP books spilled over into my self-published ones. I'd love to know what went wrong, and why KP seems to have given up on my books when they were making them money, and still could be. I doubt we'll ever find out.

Offline margiebk

• View Profile
    • Marjory Kaptanoglu | Novelist & Screenwriter
« Reply #25583 on: April 16, 2018, 12:30:03 PM »
Margie Know,

Have you heard of Script Revolution? If not, check them out. Many scriptwriters upload bodies of work there, and the site does free hosting.

Hi there, thanks for the recommendation. I've heard of the site but haven't used it. For the past 6 months I've been busy with my novels, but maybe I'll try the site at some point. Have you connected with any producers there?

And don't worry about the name, haha. My last name is tough and gets mangled all the time. Life is too short to be bothered about that:-)

Marjory Kaptanoglu | Website | Goodreads | IMDB | Blog | Facebook

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #25584 on: April 16, 2018, 01:07:48 PM »
But until the present staff took over sometime around last August, KP was excellent. I liked having control over my cover, I'm happy to do my own editing, and for my books at any rate the promotions were regular and effective. The sales of my KP books spilled over into my self-published ones. I'd love to know what went wrong, and why KP seems to have given up on my books when they were making them money, and still could be. I doubt we'll ever find out.
Yes, I know there was a big change--one that didn't make a lot of sense. I was referring to KP as it now is. I thought the new staff would perhaps be more proactive once they got settled, but perhaps I was being overly optimistic. It's pretty hard to see KP surviving long-term if it doesn't recapture the spirit it used to have.

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25585 on: April 16, 2018, 02:50:00 PM »
I'm still here, stubbornly nominating, even though every day I wake up to an email thanking me for nominating X, which was not chosen for publication....

Yes, Yes, that's what I mean to do this morning...

Offline RMGauthier

• View Profile
« Reply #25586 on: April 16, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »
I was so sad to hear that KS is shutting down. I've been watching since I had a campaign in May of 2016 and loved every minute of it. Always thought I'd come back and offer up another book, but sadly never did. So many faces I still recognize, so many new ones over the years. It's too bad this door is closing, but perhaps they'll be coming back with something different. I'll be looking out for whatever new comes down the pipe.

Steve, you are such a great man keeping that list going daily. (What will you do with all your free time now? LOL) I hope whatever they do next you'll be part of the process like you were here, you are invaluable to use all. Thank you for your work every day!

To everyone else, remember when one door closes another opens. My campaign sent me straight to self-publishing and I'm so grateful for that.

I'm going to nominate everyone on the list until the very end. Good luck to all those still in this game, don't give up hope, you never know what'll happen.

Offline AuthorAmyCraig

• Baton Rouge, LA
    • View Profile
    • Author Amy Craig Blog
« Reply #25587 on: April 16, 2018, 06:59:50 PM »
I'm going to nominate everyone on the list until the very end.

Thanks for the team spirit!

"Prone to Wander" has 5/6 days left. The book is firmly Women's Literature, but it's not a Romance novel. In 90,000 words, a dysfunctional mother-daughter pair inherits a CA winery and works through the complexities of their new lives (and the winery operations). Within a year, a fire destroys the winery, forcing the characters to evaluate their place in the community. To Nominate: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1P1DJ1ZMOZPFI

In addition to the "vote for me" plug, I'm a little bittersweet about the KS cancellation with such little advance notice. I wouldn't have engaged a professional copy editor on Reedsy without the KS lure. It would be interesting to see Amazon replace KS with direct submissions to Amazon Publishing imprints. The "nominate" process from KS could serve as a screening tool. Given enough community interest, we'll take a look at your book!

On the bright side, the professional copyediting may help if I'm brave enough to do Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing. I appreciate the nuggets of information gleaned from watching this kboard topic!

Amy Craig | blog | facebook

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
    • View Profile
« Reply #25588 on: April 16, 2018, 11:05:00 PM »
It would be interesting to see Amazon replace KS with direct submissions to Amazon Publishing imprints. The "nominate" process from KS could serve as a screening tool. Given enough community interest, we'll take a look at your book!

But this didn't work on Kindle Scout, as was proved by their selecting books with the full range of hours in H & T. (My last one to be selected had 49 hours.) It's hard to write a good book, less challenging to arouse 'community interest'.

It's possible the failure of the chart to bring publishable books to the top is one reason KS has been closed.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #25589 on: April 17, 2018, 04:31:29 AM »
It's Tuesday and it is pouring down buckets of cold rain but I need to walk across the street to WalMart to pick up a couple of necessities. Life is hard, when you are a wuss. You people have no idea how hard it can truly be. I'm going to get wet and everything, and it isn't even bath month...

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

2 days left Tempt by Vincent N. Perales
4 days left Seeking Mercy by April A. Luna
5 days left Prone to Wander by Amy Craig
6 days left 6 Miles to Baltimore by C. Martin Barr
9 days left Hound of the Mountains by Stephan Morse
13 days left Stargazers Odyssey by Cassandra Hunter
13 days left The Myth of Wile E by Colleen Cooper
16 days left The Children of Lehom by Anya Pavelle
16 days left School Lies by  Kimberly G. Giarratano
17 days left Nina's Nebulosity by Lewis P. Gravis
17 days left Saints and Sinners by Cecelia Hopkins-Drewer
17 days left Candy Apple Tangerine by Bob Waldman

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you have just been told that your book HASN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #25590 on: April 17, 2018, 07:34:37 AM »
But this didn't work on Kindle Scout, as was proved by their selecting books with the full range of hours in H & T. (My last one to be selected had 49 hours.) It's hard to write a good book, less challenging to arouse 'community interest'.

It's possible the failure of the chart to bring publishable books to the top is one reason KS has been closed.
Though a lot of books with really good stats also got really great editorial feedback. It's clear that, at the very least, the editors wanted to work with some of those authors at some point.

I think it's more likely some of the selected titles weren't performing as expected. (Of course, the reduction in promotion may be one reason for that.)

Offline AaronFrale

• Minneapolis, MN
  • May the schwartz be with you.
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Page
« Reply #25591 on: April 17, 2018, 09:00:20 AM »
I think it's more likely some of the selected titles weren't performing as expected. (Of course, the reduction in promotion may be one reason for that.)

I'm curious to see where Kindle Press is going. I don't imagine they are just going to let it fizzle. I'm also curious if the reduction in promotion is overall or just certain titles. That might explain the change they are through. I also wonder if they are going to do a Kindle Scout 2.0 (maybe with a revamp of the rules, such as books being able to buy their way into the H&T), or if they are closing their doors to the masses and becoming more like a trad publisher. It would seem a shame to the current authors to shut down the whole thing without offering an easy rights reversion.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:04:38 AM by AaronFrale »

Aaron Frale | Twitter | Facebook | Website

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #25592 on: April 17, 2018, 09:08:31 AM »
I'm curious to see where Kindle Press is going. I don't imagine they are just going to let it fizzle. I'm also curious if the reduction in promotion is overall or just certain titles. That might explain the change they are through. I also wonder if they are going to do a Kindle Scout 2.0 (maybe with a revamp of the rules, such as books being able to buy their way into the H&T), or if they are closing their doors to the masses and becoming more like a trad publisher. It would seem a shame to the current authors shut down the whole thing without offering an easy rights reversion.
There's no indication Kindle Press itself is going away. I'm not sure what the point of it is now, though. What unique thing does it bring to the table that the genre imprints don't already cover? Less promotion?

Whether the current drop in promotion is universal would be hard to know. Most of the people who've posted here have seen a drop. There were always books that got less promotion than others, though.

In the event KP shuts down completely, I'd imagine they will just revert the rights. They have no reason not to at that point.

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #25593 on: April 17, 2018, 09:31:47 AM »
I'm curious to see where Kindle Press is going. I don't imagine they are just going to let it fizzle. I'm also curious if the reduction in promotion is overall or just certain titles. That might explain the change they are through. I also wonder if they are going to do a Kindle Scout 2.0 (maybe with a revamp of the rules, such as books being able to buy their way into the H&T), or if they are closing their doors to the masses and becoming more like a trad publisher. It would seem a shame to the current authors shut down the whole thing without offering an easy rights reversion.

I heard on this thread they are offerings reversion of rights back to the author. Don't know for sure. But if I am right KP is a dead thing too eventually. 

KS was really like Write On in a way sans a message board.  WO was to feed KS and Indie world but I suspect it was a lot of pain for them, but it was fun for me  :P. As a Scout, KS was a game and fun to participate.  Seems the whole model just did not perform on ROI and the gain to pain ratio sucked for them.

I suspect the next thing is to allow author pages a place or venue to migrate to or among themselves and with readers better somehow.  Low touch though. But Author pages really are just an, "I am here" thing with blogging features ATM. 

My opinion is KU readers want more, and input to writers may be a draw for them to make their wishes known. If you are KU you can have input to you favorite authors ... so that would be a draw to bring in KU accounts?

If it happens I doubt big authors (Stephanie Meyer, Patterson, Roberts) give that a go or pay attention to that, it would be a curious mail bag to them if they pay attention at all. Maybe there will be a low key type of communication with readers and writers outside of just reviews. I bet some writers would get a good deal more feedback that way. Authors can opt in or opt out of it.

I would love to see Meyer get back into SF&F. I will spend my money on her in SF&F again. Until then, I hunt Amazon for all the free books out there in Kindle land looking for something fairly good. I am not KU and I get all the free stuff I want. So Zon needs to do something to pull all this together and make sense.

I am just hoping I guess. And I wonder what the next trick Amazon wants to try.

Offline aprilaluna

• View Profile
« Reply #25594 on: April 17, 2018, 09:48:26 AM »
Too funny. And yes, now I have that song in my head. LOL

I just got in. I had to blow all the crud out from under the trees and then pick up the bric-a-brac and litter and scoop into a couple of industrial-sized garbage bags. The blower does make things a little easier - and, oddly enough, a whole lot more fun. I can pretend I am a mighty cosmic hero blasting the alien dead leaves with my death ray.

Sing it with me...

"Flash Gordon, the Savior of the Universe!"
April A. Luna

Offline aprilaluna

• View Profile
« Reply #25595 on: April 17, 2018, 09:52:30 AM »
I was contacted by a producer out of Germany interested in looking at one of my projects for an animation series; however, the project has been up with Amazon Studios, so I wanted to see what would come via AS, which will more than likely be a nice pink slip form letter (rejection).

Hi there, thanks for the recommendation. I've heard of the site but haven't used it. For the past 6 months I've been busy with my novels, but maybe I'll try the site at some point. Have you connected with any producers there?

And don't worry about the name, haha. My last name is tough and gets mangled all the time. Life is too short to be bothered about that:-)
April A. Luna

Offline aprilaluna

• View Profile
April A. Luna

Offline AaronFrale

• Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Page
« Reply #25597 on: April 17, 2018, 10:08:35 AM »
There's no indication Kindle Press itself is going away. I'm not sure what the point of it is now, though. What unique thing does it bring to the table that the genre imprints don't already cover? Less promotion?

Yeah, that's why I'm leaning towards a Kindle Scout 2.0 for what's next. If KP was going trad in the business model, what would be the point? They should just fold the current books they want to keep into the existing imprints and revert the ones the don't want to keep and can KP entirely. It seems like redundant use a resources to have two publishers.

However, if they plan to keep it, it would be exciting to see a kindle scout reboot. Personally, if I were designing a program like Kindle Scout from the ground up, I would make it purely about the writing. I'd design it so scouters would sign up by genre, and get randomized sample chapters with no title or name via pdf, email, or kindle, then they comeback and vote on their favorite (maybe even whole books for the final rounds). That way, it is a test of the writing, not of the ability of the author to promote (while I think the author's ability to promote is important for their career overall especially now, but I don't think its a good benchmark for finding that book that is so freaking good it promotes itself, and may even hinder those "diamonds in the rough" if they get lost in the noise).

Offline AaronFrale

• Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Page
« Reply #25598 on: April 17, 2018, 10:36:20 AM »
My opinion is KU readers want more, and input to writers may be a draw for them to make their wishes known. If you are KU you can have input to you favorite authors ... so that would be a draw to bring in KU accounts?

Yeah, my wife had a KU account for a while. With the amount she reads and what she spends on books, we thought it would be a good deal. She wasn't impressed with the quality of books she was reading, and was having to pay for things she'd rather be reading, so she canceled it. That's not to say she didn't find any KU books that she liked, it's just that most of the books that she liked weren't on KU. But I don't think the big publishers want to play nice with Amazon, so I don't see KU ever changing without an industry shift.

At least for independents like myself, KU has been good from the author side. It helps lessen the blow of doing a free promotion just to get noticed. And as far as having to give up my nook, kobo, smashwords, etc. rights to be in KU, I don't even get sales or downloads on those platforms anyway (and would have spend money and time to do so), so I'm giving up nothing for something at this point. I'm sure I'll have to reevaluate the business model should I ever move past the making ends meet level.

Offline DMChappellAuthor

• View Profile
« Reply #25599 on: April 17, 2018, 10:52:38 AM »
Well, sad but unsurprising news.  KS did not select my manuscript.  However, I did get the following feedback:

We feel that this novel has a lot of potentials to be commercially successful its got an appealing premise, a solid mystery, and a satisfying romantic plot. However, we also feel that it needs a couple more drafts to reach its potential

The feedback was great with specific details on where to make changes.  This is awesome because just general "fix this kind of stuff" can be confusion, specifics clearly will help me zero in on what to fix.  Now I just need to do my best to hurry the corrections along in order to get it out to the readers by May 31st.

Thanks again for everyone's support.