Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1460829 times)  

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
  • Introverts Unite (Separately)
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences, anyone?
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2015, 07:42:36 AM »
I wonder if anyone who was selected that had a series was offered a contract for additional books.

One of the Kindle Press published authors (the Billionaire book writer) currently has a second Billionaire book on Kindle Scout. Another of the selected books (Grave of Hummingbirds) is apparently going to be published on the Little A Amazon Lit Fic imprint instead of Kindle Press.

THE FAMILIAR and THE INNOCENT DEAD are Kindle Scout Winners |  Jillnojack.com

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2015, 08:14:53 AM »
Good info to know, only that I just checked again and my stats show nothing other than the days remaining.  :(

Or, maybe zero shows nothing and I have nothing to show LOL.  Actually if that were the case then the last update comment would have a date at least.

I'll just have to sit and wait.

Thanks,
SM  8)

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2015, 08:32:39 AM »
Good info to know, only that I just checked again and my stats show nothing other than the days remaining.  :(

Or, maybe zero shows nothing and I have nothing to show LOL.  Actually if that were the case then the last update comment would have a date at least.

I'll just have to sit and wait.

Thanks,
SM  8)

It still hasn't updated. My stats are blank for yesterday, too. The time updated will change when they get it done.

Good luck with your campaign!

Offline Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2015, 09:13:37 AM »
Anyone who had a book in Kindle Scout, a question...

Ok, My book just hit the 24 hour live mark and under the "My Campaigns" tag it says "Last updated: Never".  So how long till I see my first stats for "Hours in Hot & Trending" and "Total Page Views"?  Any ideas?  I'd expect to see a big fat 0 if my book isn't in the H&T category, but I would expect to see some page views.  Right now the only data showing is for "Days Left" at 28.  I think they can't count either, as 30-1 is 29, not 28.

Your experience(s) with the stats?

Sorry I can't help you, Salvador. When my book was in, there wasn't any way to see stats during the campaign. All I had to go on was whether or not it stayed in H&T. The stats charts came after my book was in.
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2015, 09:18:01 AM »
Sorry I can't help you, Salvador. When my book was in, there wasn't any way to see stats during the campaign. All I had to go on was whether or not it stayed in H&T. The stats charts came after my book was in.

Me too. They have stats now?

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline Donna White Glaser

• The final mystery is oneself. -Oscar Wilde
    • View Profile
    • Donna White Glaser
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2015, 09:22:10 AM »
Me too. They have stats now?
Yes, and you can go to your past campaign and see how many hours it was in H&T and some other info. Pretty cool.
  Suspense with a Dash of Humor

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2015, 02:41:51 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Some stats finally appeared, actually only 1 stat, 37 page views as of this morning.  No H&T time, and that may stay that way. 

If what brkingsolver says is true, then I doubt I'll be awarded a publishing contract as I have almost no followers (semi engaged mailing list of 20 doesn't cut it), not the most popular genre (romance it is not), no author name recognition, most say Salvador who?  I thought that was a central American country, they already have me 'locked up' in Select, LOL, so maybe, just maybe, if I'm arrogant enough to say, that the book may be well written, though I didn't add any front/back matter nor formatting as I did my other books, so it may not be enough.  We'll find out.

Either way though I'm good with it. I actually wrote my first book just for the Kindle Scout program, as I didn't want them having the rights to my first in an epic series novel and I was so pleased with it that I simply self-published it on my own for better or for worse.

DOH!  Homer moment, Ok, I nominated it after reading the first chapter, LOL.  Really?  A cat eh, well man-cat.  I like the perspective and if Amanda Lee is any indication, witches books do well so at least your in a popular genre :)  So it says last day.  Do post on your outcome if you don't mind.  Also what part of Ohio do you reside in?  I'm not far from Cleveland so go Ohio girl!  8)
Good luck to you too Jill, I downloaded an excerpt and will read it this weekend when I have more time.  I'll nominate if it reads well :)  I'm sure it will if you are on kboards, so much great things to learn here.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2015, 03:26:58 PM by Salvador Mercer »

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »
Thanks everyone,

Some stats finally appeared, actually only 1 stat, 37 page views as of this morning.  No H&T time, and that may stay that way. 

If what brkingsolver says is true, then I doubt I'll be awarded a publishing contract as I have almost no followers (semi engaged mailing list of 20 doesn't cut it), not the most popular genre (romance it is not), no author name recognition, most say Salvador who?  I thought that was a central American country, they already have me 'locked up' in Select, LOL, so maybe, just maybe, if I'm arrogant enough to say, that the book may be well written, though I didn't add any front/back matter nor formatting as I did my other books, so it may not be enough.  We'll find out.

Either way though I'm good with it. I actually wrote my first book just for the Kindle Scout program, as I didn't want them having the rights to my first in an epic series novel and I was so pleased with it that I simply self-published it on my own for better or for worse.

Good luck to you too Jill, I downloaded an excerpt and will read it this weekend when I have more time.  I'll nominate if it reads well :)  I'm sure it will if you are on kboards, so much great things to learn here.

Well, I end today, but I def don't need the nomination! With only 6 hours to go, I have had 1.6k page views and have been on the hot list for 12 days straight. No one is more surprised than me.

I'll be writing up a thingy tonight after my campaign closes with helpful hints for those who (like me) don't have much in the way of a following to mount a successful campaign. I even managed to pick up a bit of a following in the process, it seems.

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »
It's all good, I modified my post to show my nomination and please do update.  I'm pretty sure I won't get anywhere near 1k page views, much less 1.6k.  I'll be happy to hit 300 or 10 a day :)

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2015, 03:50:50 PM »
It's all good, I modified my post to show my nomination and please do update.  I'm pretty sure I won't get anywhere near 1k page views, much less 1.6k.  I'll be happy to hit 300 or 10 a day :)

I'm here in historic downtown Kent (which I forgot to say the first time--I'm working and have to keep darting to my work PC to grab a call).

Thanks for the nomination, BTW! I will be doing my Scout reading this weekend of the ones I noticed during the week.

First tip: Get a big, giant banner like I have to promote your book. Kboards people are lovely and my originating URL stats  indicate that people do read the banner and take action. Because they are cool like that.

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 23, 2015, 04:09:10 PM »
Yes, and you can go to your past campaign and see how many hours it was in H&T and some other info. Pretty cool.

Yeah, that is pretty cool! Thanks. I had 326 page views and was never on H&T. Too bad they don't tell you how many nominations, but the traffic-from list is great. And it seems some people who voted for my book also voted for Jill's.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2015, 10:08:27 PM »
I'm here in historic downtown Kent (which I forgot to say the first time--I'm working and have to keep darting to my work PC to grab a call).

Thanks for the nomination, BTW! I will be doing my Scout reading this weekend of the ones I noticed during the week.

First tip: Get a big, giant banner like I have to promote your book. Kboards people are lovely and my originating URL stats  indicate that people do read the banner and take action. Because they are cool like that.

Jill, that is not far from my place in North Royalton, we went to the Akron zoo not long ago.  Maybe have to do lunch some day with some other NE Ohio folks.  I've been thinking of starting an Ohio Kboards thread cause I see quite a few posters from our state.  Also a well known fantasy writer also leaves not far from here and I follow his antics on twitter.

So would you mind sending me a pm on how to get a banner?  That sounds like a cool idea.  Also I have no idea how to find 'traffic' stats, is there something to click on to show what brkingsolver is talking about?  Specifically the "Traffic-from" list.  Where is that located?

Thanks!
SM  8)

Offline delly_xo

• Texas
  • shake it off
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2015, 10:33:13 PM »
Jill, that is not far from my place in North Royalton, we went to the Akron zoo not long ago.  Maybe have to do lunch some day with some other NE Ohio folks.  I've been thinking of starting an Ohio Kboards thread cause I see quite a few posters from our state.  Also a well known fantasy writer also leaves not far from here and I follow his antics on twitter.

So would you mind sending me a pm on how to get a banner?  That sounds like a cool idea.  Also I have no idea how to find 'traffic' stats, is there something to click on to show what brkingsolver is talking about?  Specifically the "Traffic-from" list.  Where is that located?

Thanks!
SM  8)

Salvador, I was browsing today and saw your book! Gave you a nod! Best of luck!!!
Series - 4th title TBD: 5%

Pen Name Title: 45%
Delia Foster | twitter | website

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2015, 11:00:17 PM »
Salvador, I was browsing today and saw your book! Gave you a nod! Best of luck!!!

Wonderful!  Thank you delly, and also I just found the damn link to see those stats.  It was right in the middle of the page at the bottom of my description.  I was looking on the sidebars where the info is initially displayed.  Even with my glasses I'm like blind, DOH!  Definitely need to get a banner for my Kboards sig :)

Offline B.A. Spangler

• East Coast, USA
  • Engineer by Day Writer by Night
    • View Profile
    • WrittenByBrian
« Reply #89 on: July 24, 2015, 04:27:54 AM »

Same here - but so cool that you have stats to look at now. Or maybe not so good just another page to stare at, hitting refresh over and over.

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 24, 2015, 06:57:22 AM »
Same here - but so cool that you have stats to look at now. Or maybe not so good... just another page to stare at, hitting refresh over and over.

Yes. now that my campaign is over, the stats have disappeared! What will I obsess over? Hopefully they come back after the book comes out of the review, which is happening in 1.5 to 2 days now. I think that makes a good argument that the decision is made prior to the end of a campaign.

Okay, so here are my stats as of yesterday, given that I can't access the lovely charts and graphs I was going to include. I think we all agree now that books are not selected primarily for how often they are on H&T, but that there is some mix of writing and promotion that they are looking for.

Page hits: 1664
Hot and Trending: 382 of 720 hours (53%)
Traffic: From promotional efforts vs. from KindleScout site:  42% / 58%

The book didn't leave H&T during the last 12 days except for a 6 hour stretch overnight one day.

I was surprised by the amount of traffic from other pages on the KindleScout site. I also think that this "unsolicited" interest is a good thing. However, there is no way to tell how many nominations it takes to get to the H&T list. There appears to be an algorithm in place much like the Amazon chart algorithm in which it takes more nominations or saves to get on H&T than it does to sustain your presence there. If I had access to my darn charts, I could have demonstrated what I mean by that. I'll update if they come back.

I didn't throw my mailing list at this because they are YA readers and this isn't a YA book. Plus, I'd like to have a few people left potentially interested in buying it right off the bat even if it did get selected for publication.

The numbers are pretty good for someone who started this saying I didn't expect to get much interest. So, what was the secret of that success?

I do not participate heavily in social media. I tweet about once a week. I post on Facebook less than that, although I do review my FB feed daily.

So, I did with this what I already know about--I posted in Facebook groups for free books and general book promotion, with FREE IF IT WINS WITH YOUR NOMINATIONS at the top of the post. I was very careful not to break the rules of the group. I only posted in these groups five times over the course of the campaign, which I felt was excessive but is much less than most people post their free books.

I also posted lightly in groups related to Paranormal/Urban Fantasy. I got very lucky with this as several people shared my post, and one blogger even created her own (much better than mine) post that she shared on two blog pages and additional groups as well as to her own friend network. I was genuinely surprised by the interest in the book and by the lovely people who took their own time to share it. This interest by a group of readers who had never heard of me before is what put the book over the top and kept it in H&T consistently for the last twelve days of the campaign.

Mind you, I am talking about having spent about an hour and a half each time I posted through these groups because I have a list of about 95 of them. So, it was quite a lot of work on promotion days, and then I made sure to keep up with thanking people for their interest on the days when I was not actively campaigning. However, I expect it is important to demonstrate in Kindle Scout that you can promote a book effectively to readers. Yes, there are books that have been chosen with little promotion behind them, but I believe that all of those have been by previously traditionally published mid-listers. Unknown authors don't get the same brownie points up front.

Okay, well, that was long winded. Now you can tell why Twitter doesn't work for me :-)

Am I hoping for a nomination? Sure, yes, I am. Not so much because I believe that the book is going to sell oodles 'o copies no matter what happens, but because, like so many writers, I'm still looking for that external validation that what I write is up to snuff. I get that from my readers, obviously, but there is still a part of me that says "you're not a real writer until a publisher says so."
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 08:20:49 AM by Jill Nojack »

Offline Bbates024

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Free The Blizz
« Reply #91 on: July 24, 2015, 07:10:18 AM »
I hope you get picked up. I'm looking forward to starting my campaign in August.

I went to give your book a vote today and totally missed the campaign, I'm not sure where my head was with not clicking it sooner. :-(

Mr. Salvador I voted for you book just now :-)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 07:13:41 AM by Bbates024 »

Offline Anya Monroe

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 24, 2015, 07:24:27 AM »

Interesting about the stats! Just looked up my past campaign for Flicker that was not chosen:
Ended Jan 2, 2015
639 Hours in Hot & Trending
1.4K Total page views

I have no idea what they were looking for just not my book, lol.

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 24, 2015, 08:24:20 AM »
Interesting about the stats! Just looked up my past campaign for Flicker that was not chosen:
Ended Jan 2, 2015
639 Hours in Hot & Trending
1.4K Total page views

I have no idea what they were looking for -- just not my book, lol.

Dang! You had a nice campaign. Those are some great numbers.

It's a mystery...

Offline cagnes

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
    • Bayou Cover Designs
« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »
Wonderful!  Thank you delly, and also I just found the damn link to see those stats.  It was right in the middle of the page at the bottom of my description.  I was looking on the sidebars where the info is initially displayed.  Even with my glasses I'm like blind, DOH!  Definitely need to get a banner for my Kboards sig :)

You're welcome to this one Salvador... or if you want something different, just lmk.  :)

Christine | Member since 10/13/2009 | Goodreads | Bayou Cover Designs | Bayou Cover Designs on the KBoards Yellow Pages
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, said Jojen. The man who never reads lives only one.  ― George R.R. Martin, A Dance with Dragons

Offline Bbates024

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Free The Blizz
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »
You're welcome to this one Salvador... or if you want something different, just lmk.  :)

Awesome banner :-)

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2015, 01:58:52 PM »
I hope you get picked up. I'm looking forward to starting my campaign in August.

I went to give your book a vote today and totally missed the campaign, I'm not sure where my head was with not clicking it sooner. :-(

Mr. Salvador I voted for you book just now :-)

Awesome, thank you very much and I look forwarding to seeing your book next month.

Cagnes, Jill took your banner and we ran with it girl!  You two are awesome, many, many thanks!  :-*

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 24, 2015, 03:40:49 PM »

It's the thought that counts :-)

Anya's results obviously show that whatever your results, it's a crap shoot. I'm actually less interested in finding out if the book is selected than I was when I could refresh my stats constantly. Seriously, all that obsessive refreshing of the Hot & Trending list was exhausting. Heh.

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 25, 2015, 10:43:39 AM »
Speaking of which, may I please be allowed to thank you Jill, and Cagnes, as well as every other Kboarder who has supported my campaign?  I woke this morning to my first "Hot & Trending" list and after a few hours my book stats updated to show me with my first and ONLY hour in that category  :P   I've since dropped off of it just as quickly as I got on it, hehe.

Thanks everyone for the support and for your wonderful help Jill, hosting my mini promo banner LOL :D  (Cagnes for designing it!).

So any idea if they will use the entire 15 days to make a decision on your book Jill?

Also if Donna or anyone else who was successful knows, how long after the selection does it take to receive that advance? (Wow, I'm putting the cart way in front of the horse, but my wife says I can dream all I want to as long as I wake up and go to my day job! :)  )
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:46:11 AM by Salvador Mercer »

Offline Jill Nojack

• Sixth Circle
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 25, 2015, 09:27:24 PM »
Speaking of which, may I please be allowed to thank you Jill, and Cagnes, as well as every other Kboarder who has supported my campaign?  I woke this morning to my first "Hot & Trending" list and after a few hours my book stats updated to show me with my first and ONLY hour in that category  :P   I've since dropped off of it just as quickly as I got on it, hehe.

Thanks everyone for the support and for your wonderful help Jill, hosting my mini promo banner LOL :D  (Cagnes for designing it!).

So any idea if they will use the entire 15 days to make a decision on your book Jill?

Also if Donna or anyone else who was successful knows, how long after the selection does it take to receive that advance? (Wow, I'm putting the cart way in front of the horse, but my wife says I can dream all I want to as long as I wake up and go to my day job! :)  )

Okay, first: OMIGOD, I WAS SELECTED FOR PUBLICATION. At exactly 12:07 AM tonight, which is precisely forty-eight hours after the nomination closed. That seems to be the drill now, so I made sure I stayed up for it.

I know it's not all caps Wednesday, but I had to get that out of my system. I hope I will be forgiven by all and sundry.

And, Salvador, you are welcome for the hosting help. Glad to do it. we Indies need to stick together. Although, I guess I'm a hybrid now. How exciting.

Okay, I have to go read the Welcome to Kindle Press email again and pinch myself a lot. And then have someone else read it just to make sure it's really addressed to me and not some big mistake :-)