Kindle Forum banner

Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)

2M views 26K replies 700 participants last post by  ShayneRutherford 
G
#1 ·
Hi. I thought I posted this question last night, but I don't see it in any of the threads, so I thought I would try again. I recently learned about Kindle Scout, and I would just like to hear about other authors' experiences. All opinions and stories welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

#41 ·
Kristy Tate said:
my book was on the hot and trending list about 2/3 of the time and had 1.2k page views.
Sweet Holy Gods of Zon! I have it on good authority that my book has has 283 page views, and has been on the Hot list for exactly 6% of the time! And only three days left now.

So here's my sig:

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/3P8XN6TKX0X3F

Three story tweaks is nothing! That's awesome news. Did you discuss the cover, at all?

#42 ·
My publishing plan forces me to hold on to a finished first-in-series right now until the second one is ready to go. So, because I completely dig rejection--seriously, it's practically a lifestyle--I'm going to put it in Kindle Scout this weekend now that I've had the final "yeah, that doesn't suck" from my grimmest beta reader.

The one thing that has confused me is whether or not Amazon keeps 50% of the Kindle Unlimited money earned. Can someone who has been accepted clear this up? Here is what it says about it on the Kindle Scout page:

"Net Revenue for your Work from participation in a subscription or other blended fee program will be determined in accordance with the standard revenue allocation methods for that program that are applicable to Kindle Press books. "

To me, that sounds like the KU payment could also be 50%  just like the royalty is 50% of net earnings. Which then makes the potential earnings calculation a lot less than one might think, particularly if the books are heavily promoted for KU.

Can anyone clarify? Obviously, I could contact Amazon, but it's more fun to discuss it here :)

#43 ·
I love my cover, so I was holding my breath. It's made from a stock photo, so I was worried there might be another book with a similar cover, but they didn't mention it. (So of course I didn't say anything.)

As to the royalty, I don't care. If Amazon promotes my one book, then it's darn good for all of my books. I'm following my son's advice, "Whatever they ask, say yes." I feel okay about that attitude, because as I said previously, I have a slew of books on my shelf and a thousand in my head. I can give one to the mighty Zon, even if I got nothing in return (which I don't think will be the case) it would be worth the experience.

Also, someone said that I can now call myself a hybrid author. That means diddly to me, but it might to others.

#45 ·
Salvador Mercer said:
I agree, though the question is a good one. I guess someone needs to ask KDP or maybe someone already on Kboards who has a book published with Kindle Press can clarify?
I sent a question from the Scout contact page. It's really just curiosity. It will make no difference to me because I wouldn' t expect it to be selected for Kindle Press. I like to know everything about everything just because it's interesting. I'll still put my book in no matter what they tell me.

I'll report back when I have the scoop.

#46 ·
Well, looks like I got the scoop on the second try. The first time, I got the canned response about the changes to the KU program.

However, this is interesting, right?

----------------------------------

Kindle Scout does not plan on changing our royalty calculations or payment for Kindle Unlimited reads or Kindle Owner�s Lending Library.  You will continue to receive the full digital royalty rate stipulated in your contract.

After publication and specifically for Kindle Unlimited, customer reads through the Kindle Unlimited (KU) subscription service. Every time a unique KU customer reads more than 10% of your book (about the size of the current free samples available for Kindle books), you earn your full e-book royalty rate multiplied by the average sales price for the month (or the customer price if you had no sales).

---------------------------------

So - looks like Kindle Scout pays the 50% royalty rate times the average sales price per month if more than 10% of the book is read. Does that sound like the right take from what they wrote? Will not be on page reads. That could be either good or bad depending on the length of the book and how engaging it is.

There are no answers that would have changed my mind about putting the book up for Scout, I just like knowing stuff.

But I do find it even more attractive now. Not that I will be selected, but a gal can dream  8)

Hope the info helps others!

Jill

#47 ·
That sounds like a completely different system than KU even though the book will be in it.  So if a book is priced at $3.99 (say 4 dollars to make this example simple), I'm understanding that any KU read would net $2.00.  Is that what you understand or is my understanding wrong?  That seems to be a good deal, so I'm naturally thinking that I am misunderstanding something here.

#48 ·
Salvador Mercer said:
That sounds like a completely different system than KU even though the book will be in it. So if a book is priced at $3.99 (say 4 dollars to make this example simple), I'm understanding that any KU read would net $2.00. Is that what you understand or is my understanding wrong? That seems to be a good deal, so I'm naturally thinking that I am misunderstanding something here.
Salavador, I think we are reading this the same - basically, the author is getting paid under the Scribd model (% of book price per borrow) rather than the KU model. Since my current series is on Scribd rather than KU, this is a model I obviously like.

Then again, I haven't seen a contract, so I don't know what it says, and oftentimes Amazon responses can be conflictual and confusing when the question is something out of the ordinary. However, the second response was from Kindle Scout staff rather than just generic Amazon support like this first.

To me this looks like a "trad pub" model rather than an "indie pub" model. This would makes sense since Kindle Press is offering a publishing contract.

P.S. How are you enjoying the (marginally) cooler weather today? I'm a bit south of you down here in Kent.

#49 ·
Makes sense.  I'm almost done with my book so I'm hoping to get it submitted before July 1.  Let's be sure to post back here either way if one of us finds out for sure.

I actually loved the cooler June day today.  It doesn't have to be COLD, enough of those days here in Cleveland, but a nice comfortable day that doesn't require running the AC or the heat :D

#50 ·
Salvador Mercer said:
Makes sense. I'm almost done with my book so I'm hoping to get it submitted before July 1. Let's be sure to post back here either way if one of us finds out for sure.

I actually loved the cooler June day today. It doesn't have to be COLD, enough of those days here in Cleveland, but a nice comfortable day that doesn't require running the AC or the heat :D
I had a nice cool June day of 114 here in Phoenix :)

#52 ·
AlexBack said:
So one day left to nominate, and my book, TRIGGER CANDY, suddenly got the 'Hot' tag. I did nothing other'n post to this thread a few times. It's a mystery!
If a reader wants a free book, it would make sense to just check out the books on the ending soon list and nominate them on the last day. That's the only time they can get a free book for having nominated it. I would expect this to be a common phenomena.

Bbates024 said:
I had a nice cool June day of 114 here in Phoenix :)
I grew up in Phoenix and my mother is still there. I only visit in February now. Had a high school reunion in July a few years ago and it was still 100 degrees at midnight. Never again.

#57 ·
Two of the books from here went live today even! A Scrying Shame and Killing Katie! (Got the emails within the same minute)

#59 ·
Donna White Glaser said:
My Kindle Scout book just went live! So the length of time between putting it into the program and it being available was 2-1/2 months. Now the really fun part starts. :)
Congrats, Donna.

My book is now available on the Kindle Scout site (submitted Sunday night and became visible yesterday).

I doubt that it will do well - I simply don't have the chops for the kind of promotion it takes to get it into Hot & Trending. My efforts on day one yielded 51 page views, although I'm saving my newsletter subscribers for the push at the end. But since I really only put it in there because I wanted to hold it until at least Book Two is ready to go, I'm okay with it.

Anyone have any tips for quick promotion? I'm doing Facebook groups today to see how that goes, but it's so time consuming, and I'd rather be writing! With my permafree, I primarily just pay for promotions in the newsletters because that's what I've found is effective. There isn't anything like that for Kindle Scout.

Jill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.