Kindle Forum banner

Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)

2M views 26K replies 700 participants last post by  ShayneRutherford 
G
#1 ·
Hi. I thought I posted this question last night, but I don't see it in any of the threads, so I thought I would try again. I recently learned about Kindle Scout, and I would just like to hear about other authors' experiences. All opinions and stories welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

#121 ·
HN Wake said:
Salvador, I just sent a sci fi fan to your nomination page. My friend is now eagerly awaiting your book - either free when you are selected or he'll buy it when you self publish. You are obviously doing something right! He read your whole entry. :)
Well you haven't talked to my wife lately, have you? Hehe :p

That is most gracious of you, and I'm tickled pink that anyone took the time to read what I wrote. I'm only in my sixth full month of being a (self) published author and as most of us probably do, we pour our heart and souls into these books and it's wonderful when someone gets a kick from reading them.

I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint. Fantasy is my passion, but I'll be damn if I didn't feel so comfortable writing a Sci-Fi Techno-Thriller. It felt like putting on an old, but favorite sweater when it's cold outside. Probably I read too much of Clancy's work when I was in my early twenties LOL. Well Grisham and Crichton as well.

Time is getting short, I'll find out soon, one way or the other :)

#122 ·
Bbates024 said:
I'm finally in review now. That took much longer than expected due to some editorial delays. My poor editor had a rough go the last couple of weeks but came through in the end.

I guess now I have a couple days to wait until the review process is over.

That should give me enough to time to get my other book off to the proofreader. :)

Or not they already approved it...Maybe an hour after submission. Campaign Starts on the 13th.
Good luck Bates, I look forward to reading your excerpt. Exciting news! 8)

#129 ·
Bbates024 said:
I stayed up just to watch it go live! Total nerd here. Anyways if anyone else has a book that needs a nomination let me know. I've got a couple that are falling off soon. Good luck Salvador!
Thanks and very nice cover btw. I don't nominate many books so I don't use all three of my slots but I got yours down now for sure. Good luck yourself, the 30 days seems to go by quickly. Will you have any sort of promo campaign for it? I didn't really market mine too much though I just got 138 new subscribers from the Free Kindle Giveaway promotion. I'll see if I can get a dozen to click on this book.

Hope you do well and I'll be sure to report what happens one way or the other.

#130 ·
I'm not doing to much outside of using my twitter and Facebook. I have another full book coming out later this month. I am going to use my newsletter then to promote the book and grab some votes for Kindle Scout. I got in the Hot and Trending list for 10 hours somehow and had 110 pages views over two days. Since then it has been kind of cool, but I'll make my big push about around the 24th.

Your book is almost done Salvador, looking forward to my free copy when you win!

#131 ·
Bbates024 said:
I'm not doing to much outside of using my twitter and Facebook. I have another full book coming out later this month. I am going to use my newsletter then to promote the book and grab som votes for Kindle Scout. I got in Hot and Trending for 10 hours somehow and had 110 pages views over two days. Since then it has been kind of cool, but I'll make my big push about around the 24th.

Your book is almost done Salvador, looking forward to my free copy when you win!
I'm not so optimistic. I only have 388 page views with 4 yesterday tying my low despite me having only 5 more days left. I only have the 23 hours from July in the hot and trending list so a lot depends on how much the Kindle Scout team weighs the social media part of their submissions. Like a few others however, I did put into my thank you email (at least I'm pretty sure I did) the fact that if NOT selected then any one who nominated it can email me and I'll gift the book to them when I self publish. We'll have to see what happens.

Your book is listed at the bottom of my campaign stats showing books that were also nominated by those who nominated my book. I'm pretty sure that's completely due to the kindness of our fellow kboarders, at least for my part of the link.

Again, the time goes by rather quickly so I'm sure you'll enjoy the process. Best of luck, I'll be following the program closely from now on.

#132 ·
CRYING WOMAN BRIDGE entered the Kindle Scout campaign last week. Since then it has gone in and out of hot and trending until I'm afraid to look. It's kind of a stressful experience. I have mostly posted on Facebook, Twitter, and Goodreads. I've tweeted until I'll probably lose some of my followers. I feel I have run out of places to promote. Win or lose, it will be an experience.

Haunted bridge, crying woman, missing baby... Read about the book at the link below:

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2OJCOUR5XXLDE

Vickie

#133 ·
Jill Nojack said:
From my observations (which, in this case also actually makes sense), you will get the most organic notice with saves and nominations when you are new on the site due to the visiblility of being on the front page. You will then get organic notice at the end when you return to the front page in the "Ending Soon" section. This is also the time period when people who saved the book will put it in their nominations list as other nominations roll off.
Jill, & everybody, thanks so much for your very very helpful observations & insights! I look forward to going on K Scout & checking out the current campaigns.

I do have one big question that nobody here (that I could find) has answered, & Kindle didn't give me a straight answer, either.

Are all Kindle Press books (i.e., Scout winners) automatically enrolled in Kindle Unlimited? That potentially makes a huge difference in PR, "royalties," & the overall future of the books, it seems to me.

Thanks for any help,

Carol
CJ Verburg @
Boom-Books.com

#134 ·
From what I have seen by looking at the winners and a few talking to a few folks they are automatically entered in KU. Amazon, holds the Ebook and Audiobook rights. My understanding is also that you (the Author) receive the full KU payout and not just the 50% like you do on sales.

I have 3 books in my list but two come out next week (Salvador)and I will add the Crying Woman Bridge to my list. I know I had my wife add your book as well Salvador so we are in good company!

#135 ·
Hehe, too funny...  I like that title except around my house it is "Haunted home, crying baby, missing wife"  :p  (The wife starting working evenings to help us pay the bills and I'm now working all day and babysitting all evening).

Yeah, added it and I should know something by either next Friday or the following Monday so won't be long.

#137 ·
verb said:
Jill, & everybody, thanks so much for your very very helpful observations & insights! I look forward to going on K Scout & checking out the current campaigns.

I do have one big question that nobody here (that I could find) has answered, & Kindle didn't give me a straight answer, either.

Are all Kindle Press books (i.e., Scout winners) automatically enrolled in Kindle Unlimited? That potentially makes a huge difference in PR, "royalties," & the overall future of the books, it seems to me.

Thanks for any help,

Carol
CJ Verburg @
Boom-Books.com
Hi Carol,

Books are automatically enrolled in Kindle Unlimited. I talked to one of the Scout representatives about my book this week, and she verified that Kindle Unlimited is not paid from the general pot.

KU reads for Kindle Press books are paid at 50% of that month's average price of the book after the book has been read to 10%. If the book is not read to 10%. there is no royalty payment.

Jill

#138 ·
Jill Nojack said:
Hi Carol,

Books are automatically enrolled in Kindle Unlimited. I talked to one of the Scout representatives about my book this week, and she verified that Kindle Unlimited is not paid from the general pot.

KU reads for Kindle Press books are paid at 50% of that month's average price of the book after the book has been read to 10%. If the book is not read to 10%. there is no royalty payment.

Jill
Interesting so maybe they are paying based off the lending library instead of pure KU, since KU is now based on pages read and not making it past 10%?

#139 ·
Bbates024 said:
Interesting so maybe they are paying based off the lending library instead of pure KU, since KU is now based on pages read and not making it past 10%?
The lending library (KOLL) is paid the same as KU whether that is by pages read or full royalty. The difference is that, like a traditional publisher, the Kindle Press books are compensated by earning the full royalty after 10% (which is the same as the free sample found on the book page and is accessible to anyone for nothing).

#140 ·
Jill Nojack said:
The lending library (KOLL) is paid the same as KU whether that is by pages read or full royalty. The difference is that, like a traditional publisher, the Kindle Press books are compensated by earning the full royalty after 10% (which is the same as the free sample found on the book page and is accessible to anyone for nothing).
Thanks for the additional information about how KU royalties are handled on Scout books. I've been thinking about putting a standalone I'm writing into Kindle Scout. This thread has been incredibly helpful. I'm fairly certain I'll give the program a try once this particular book is done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.