KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1583014 times)  

Offline BBGriffith

• Denver, CO
  • Purveyor of Fine Escapism
    • View Profile
    • Griffith Publishing
Re: Kindle Scout experiences, anyone?
« Reply #4050 on: March 05, 2016, 04:10:35 PM »
Thanks everybody! In the spirit of this great thread, here are my stats.

As you can see, they were pretty good, but not outstanding by any means. My split was 68% external, 32% internal. There were fifteen days when I logged zero hours in H&T. I had two five day blocks where basically nobody saw my book. Here are my thoughts now that I'm on the other side of the campaign.

1.)   Don't sweat H&T and page views.
I think it's good to hit at least 1000 page views. I don't know why that is, but I think it's a good number to shoot for, it rolls over the counter to the "K"s. Don't worry too much about hitting 2,000. I also think you should spend some time on H&T outside of the beginning and end of the campaign, but don't worry about maintaining it constantly. I think KS likes to see that you can run a publicity campaign. I think that how powerful that campaign actually is, whether it reaches 100 people or 500 people, is of less concern to them. Unless you can reach 5000 people. In which case I'm not sure you'd be doing this.

2.)   Space out your promo bullets.
I had three bullets in my promo gun. The first was my facebook author page. I sent out a sponsored post to everyone who likes my page (about 350 people). I spent ten bucks to promote it. That was on the 30th and 31st. It bumped me a little, but not a lot. The second bullet was my mailing list. I have about 700 people on that list that I've gathered over three years. Nothing crazy, but a good shot. I sent it out on the 6th of February and that kept me H&T for four days or so. Then I fell off again. The last bullet was a promo on my other books. I ran a big promo on some books in my backlist and it pulled people to my website, which had a prominent "VOTE FOR ME" up top. That was on the 20th and got me through the end of the campaign.

3.)   Approach the campaign with the attitude that if KS says no, you could turn around the next day and publish your novel on KDP.

I had a cover artist create my cover, and I had a content editor and two copy editors go over my manuscript. I did everything I normally do to self-publish my books. Only instead of hitting "publish" I submitted it to Scout. Even though they say they'll edit, I think it's important to give a completely polished copy to them.

4.)   Backlist and sales history help a lot.

I dont sell a ton of books just yet, but I do sell some, and I sell consistently. The Sleepwalkers is my seventh book, and my others have reviews that the Kindle Scout people can look at to see if I know what I'm doing or not. I recognize that this isn't possible for everyone, and that's frustrating for a lot of people because I think that whether they meant to or not, the initial impression I got from the Kindle Scout program was that it was primarily for first time writers trying to break through, but now it's getting manuscripts from all over the place, newbies all the way to NYT Bestsellers.

That said, you can definitely get chosen if you don't have a backlist, but what you need to do is look like you are going to build a backlist. If you don't have the sales, look like you're going to make sales. Put together an online presence. This might entail putting together a simple website, or at least a facebook author page. A twitter account doesn't hurt, either. KS is looking for great books, yes, but they're also looking for authors that they can get behind. People that won't quit. Which brings me to my last point.

5.)   Don't quit.

Writing is hard, and publishing is often harder. Sometimes it seems like there are so many ways to get down about yourself and so few ways to get pumped up, but always remember that the only way you lose is if you stop. It's all in your court. This is one venue to becoming an author, and I think its a pretty good one, but there are others as well. I suggest trying them all and seeing what sticks.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:17:38 PM by BBGriffith »
  | | |

Online Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #4051 on: March 05, 2016, 06:52:28 PM »
Thanks everybody! In the spirit of this great thread, here are my stats.

As you can see, they were pretty good, but not outstanding by any means. My split was 68% external, 32% internal. There were fifteen days when I logged zero hours in H&T. I had two five day blocks where basically nobody saw my book. Here are my thoughts now that I'm on the other side of the campaign.

1.)   Don't sweat H&T and page views.
I think it's good to hit at least 1000 page views. I don't know why that is, but I think it's a good number to shoot for, it rolls over the counter to the "K"s. Don't worry too much about hitting 2,000. I also think you should spend some time on H&T outside of the beginning and end of the campaign, but don't worry about maintaining it constantly. I think KS likes to see that you can run a publicity campaign. I think that how powerful that campaign actually is, whether it reaches 100 people or 500 people, is of less concern to them. Unless you can reach 5000 people. In which case I'm not sure you'd be doing this.

2.)   Space out your promo bullets.
I had three bullets in my promo gun. The first was my facebook author page. I sent out a sponsored post to everyone who likes my page (about 350 people). I spent ten bucks to promote it. That was on the 30th and 31st. It bumped me a little, but not a lot. The second bullet was my mailing list. I have about 700 people on that list that I've gathered over three years. Nothing crazy, but a good shot. I sent it out on the 6th of February and that kept me H&T for four days or so. Then I fell off again. The last bullet was a promo on my other books. I ran a big promo on some books in my backlist and it pulled people to my website, which had a prominent "VOTE FOR ME" up top. That was on the 20th and got me through the end of the campaign.

3.)   Approach the campaign with the attitude that if KS says no, you could turn around the next day and publish your novel on KDP.

I had a cover artist create my cover, and I had a content editor and two copy editors go over my manuscript. I did everything I normally do to self-publish my books. Only instead of hitting "publish" I submitted it to Scout. Even though they say they'll edit, I think it's important to give a completely polished copy to them.

4.)   Backlist and sales history help a lot.

I dont sell a ton of books just yet, but I do sell some, and I sell consistently. The Sleepwalkers is my seventh book, and my others have reviews that the Kindle Scout people can look at to see if I know what I'm doing or not. I recognize that this isn't possible for everyone, and that's frustrating for a lot of people because I think that whether they meant to or not, the initial impression I got from the Kindle Scout program was that it was primarily for first time writers trying to break through, but now it's getting manuscripts from all over the place, newbies all the way to NYT Bestsellers.

That said, you can definitely get chosen if you don't have a backlist, but what you need to do is look like you are going to build a backlist. If you don't have the sales, look like you're going to make sales. Put together an online presence. This might entail putting together a simple website, or at least a facebook author page. A twitter account doesn't hurt, either. KS is looking for great books, yes, but they're also looking for authors that they can get behind. People that won't quit. Which brings me to my last point.

5.)   Don't quit.

Writing is hard, and publishing is often harder. Sometimes it seems like there are so many ways to get down about yourself and so few ways to get pumped up, but always remember that the only way you lose is if you stop. It's all in your court. This is one venue to becoming an author, and I think its a pretty good one, but there are others as well. I suggest trying them all and seeing what sticks.

Great entry. Well said! Good luck in Kindle Scout. Hope you sell a bunch.
:)

Offline TheBehrg

• View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: March 05, 2016, 07:21:19 PM »

5.)   Don't quit.

Love this B.B. - There is no magic bullet to this writing thing, it's more a "try everything you possibly can" approach and then hope it all adds up to something in the end.

Except that there is no end. And that's the best part. We keep writing. We keep trying. We grow our audience and back list a day at a time. And the journey - thank God - is incredible. I've never been one for destinations anyway.

Congrats on the win!

The Behrg | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Steven L. Hawk

• Boise, ID
    • View Profile
    • Steven L. Hawk's Website
« Reply #4053 on: March 05, 2016, 07:33:13 PM »
Congrats, BB.  I received the email notification and can't wait to get my copy. 

Looking forward to receiving a similar email any time for your book, Steve! 

Steven L. Hawk | My Website

Offline CarmenShea

• writer; in wanderlust
    • View Profile
    • Carmen-Shea
« Reply #4054 on: March 05, 2016, 10:36:01 PM »
I made the cut after all! Just heard the news. Currently drinking a lot of scotch.
Bravo! :D

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

Carmen-Shea Hepburn  | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads |

Offline CarmenShea

• writer; in wanderlust
    • View Profile
    • Carmen-Shea
« Reply #4055 on: March 05, 2016, 10:42:27 PM »
Hey guys, if you can would you check out my Thunderclap Campaign and consider supporting it? Just trying to get the word out about my novel to as many people as I can as my own social media reach right now isn't all that great :)

Online Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #4056 on: March 06, 2016, 12:39:09 AM »
Hey guys, if you can would you check out my Thunderclap Campaign and consider supporting it? Just trying to get the word out about my novel to as many people as I can as my own social media reach right now isn't all that great :)

I've got you covered, Carmen-Shea, AND you have got an important mysterious top-secret burn-after-reading message on Facebook concerning this matter.

Offline authorkcfinn

• View Profile
    • Legion Found at Kindle Scout
« Reply #4057 on: March 06, 2016, 12:59:21 AM »

Carmen, get yourself over to this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/309681422531552/
You'll fill up your Thunderclap there for sure  :D

And congrats BB! I got my email telling me I'm getting a free copy.

Offline CarmenShea

• writer; in wanderlust
    • View Profile
    • Carmen-Shea
« Reply #4058 on: March 06, 2016, 01:12:13 AM »
I've got you covered, Carmen Shea.

Thanks Steve! :D

Carmen, get yourself over to this Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/309681422531552/
You'll fill up your Thunderclap there for sure  :D

Oh wow, thanks for the linkage! :D

Offline blancheking

• View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: March 06, 2016, 01:18:58 AM »
New book, new book! :D Congrats BBG!

Online Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #4060 on: March 06, 2016, 01:19:17 AM »
Ha! I just sent you that same linkage (I believe) over on your Facebook.

Offline CarmenShea

• writer; in wanderlust
    • View Profile
    • Carmen-Shea
« Reply #4061 on: March 06, 2016, 01:21:57 AM »
Ha! I just sent you that same linkage (I believe) over on your Facebook.
Haha yeah I just got your message XD but hey no complaints from me, I'll take all the recommendations... even the duplicates!

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

Online Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #4062 on: March 06, 2016, 01:30:52 AM »
It is COLD out there this morning but I am sitting here and sipping a cup of hot black tea and trying to think warm thoughts.

This year our household is on a DEEP budget, so we tend to keep the thermostat turned down low and we have stepped our cable/telephone/internet package down one notch with our local service provider. Unfortunately, that means that the time it takes to enter ANYTHING on my computer is just that much too slow for my blood pressure.

I am talking g-l-a-c-i-a-l slow.

And cold.

Now let's get to the list.

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT Forrest Wollinsky: Vampire Hunter by Leonard D. Hilley II
4 days left Bulletproof Hearts by Brianna Cane
5 days left Forest of Demons by Debbie Cassidy
6 days left The Devil's Soul by P. Walter Gagnon
7 days left Modern Surprises by Joan Marie Verba
11 days left Fire Girl by Andy Mulberry
13 days left The Second Sphere by Peter S. Banks
14 days left Summer Love, Winter Tears by Carol Collins
14 days left The Creation: Let There Be Death by The Behrg
14 days left The Risk it Takes to Blossom by Tani Hanes
22 days left God of Chains by JR Armstrong
28 days left The Sublime Freedom by A.D. Davies

If I have missed anyone please let me know. The very best way that you can do that is just to post a link on the thread, join into the conversation and maybe even buy me a beer.

Happy scouting.

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: March 06, 2016, 02:55:55 AM »
And - I'm live! https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2QOIB6FNKGUHH

I've been beavering away the last few weeks, nominating where I have a connection. Hoping for good karma now ...

Adam Park #5 : 100%

Online Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #4064 on: March 06, 2016, 03:13:43 AM »
Okay - so a couple of folks asked how I did in the final orange bar side of things - so I figured that I would post it here.

That's awfully hard to read but it is 572 hours on Hot & Trending and a grand total of 1700 views.

That sounds impressive - but it will take a whole lot more than big orange numbers to impress the Gods of Kindle Scout.

I figure I should hear from them by sometime this coming week or definitely by next week. I won't pretend that I am not hanging upon tenterhooks...

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
    • View Profile
    • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
« Reply #4065 on: March 06, 2016, 03:17:15 AM »
And - I'm live! https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2QOIB6FNKGUHH

I've been beavering away the last few weeks, nominating where I have a connection. Hoping for good karma now ...

AD, if Kindle Scout don't pick up this book I'm a banana.

Online Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #4066 on: March 06, 2016, 03:48:52 AM »

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: March 06, 2016, 04:14:35 AM »
Thanks very much!
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline LeonardDHilleyII

• Marietta, OH
  • Author of Sci-fi Thrillers/Fantasy/Urban Fantasy
    • View Profile
    • Leonard D. Hilley II Author
« Reply #4068 on: March 06, 2016, 05:00:55 AM »
Okay - so a couple of folks asked how I did in the final orange bar side of things - so I figured that I would post it here.

That's awfully hard to read but it is 572 hours on Hot & Trending and a grand total of 1700 views.

That sounds impressive - but it will take a whole lot more than big orange numbers to impress the Gods of Kindle Scout.

I figure I should hear from them by sometime this coming week or definitely by next week. I won't pretend that I am not hanging upon tenterhooks...

Congrats! That's wonderful to see.

Join my subscription list at: http://leonarddhilleyii.com/ for a free digital copy of Forrest Wollinsky: Vampire Hunter.

Offline Jack Wallen

• Louisville
  • Jack Wallen
    • View Profile
    • Get Jack'd
« Reply #4069 on: March 06, 2016, 06:41:43 AM »

Happily supported!

Offline Bbates024

• Phoenix
    • View Profile
    • Free The Blizz
« Reply #4070 on: March 06, 2016, 09:24:54 AM »

GOOD LUCK!

Offline petersamuelbanks

• Brasilia, Brazil
    • View Profile
    • The Three Spheres Trilogy
« Reply #4071 on: March 06, 2016, 01:03:03 PM »

Done!

Offline AngelLeya

• View Profile
    • Angel Leya
« Reply #4072 on: March 06, 2016, 03:26:16 PM »

Hey Steve! I've been following your newsletter and finally decided to jump on kboards to see what all the fuss is about. Still getting my bearings, but so far I like it. Curious to hear your Kindle Scout results. I'm thinking of doing that with a book I've written, but it needs a little editing first. Thanks for sharing!

Author of the magical, fantastical, and romantical. ;)
Angel Leya | Angel Leya Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Pinterest

Offline blancheking

• View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: March 06, 2016, 06:51:31 PM »
@ Leonard: I just read the excerpt for Forrest Wollinsky: Vampire Hunter. It's really good! It reminds me a little of the Vampire Chronicles!

Offline CarmenShea

• writer; in wanderlust
    • View Profile
    • Carmen-Shea
« Reply #4074 on: March 06, 2016, 09:10:17 PM »