Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1328740 times)  

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #16575 on: April 21, 2017, 02:24:21 AM »
I've been on the author board, but I can't see how you manage to get your profile pic onto the site. Anyone help?

Click on your name to get to your profile, then click modify profile/forum profile, and it's the top setting where you can add your profile picture :)
Jennifer Bull | Facebook | Twitter | Website
The Paper Scientist | Tools for Writers (including character booklets, scene cards, and pre-made book covers) available on Etsy

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #16576 on: April 21, 2017, 03:19:28 AM »
Let's get to the list, shall we?

Just used my newly open slots to nominate Turn and Lovers. Good luck!

This is day three for me and no H&T yet, bummer. Maybe I need to talk to Alex Pavelenko and Fabioli. He also said he needs help wire transferring his rich uncle's fortune in Abu Dhabi, so maybe I don't need to be a famous author after all :-)
Vigilante Angels Book I: The Priest: 100%

Vigilante Angels Book II: The Cop: 100%

Vigilante Angels Book III: The Candidate: 95%
Vigilante Angels Series Books I, II, III all available on Amazon!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing

Offline Rwf999

• View Profile
« Reply #16577 on: April 21, 2017, 03:34:35 AM »
Hey, Gang,
Just used my newly opened two slots to nominate Turn and The Lovers.

Also, was told by several folks they left comments but I can't figure out how to see them -- or are those never seen by the actual writer? Anyone got an idea how to see them?

Thanks as always. As usual, here's my link: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/9SLSTB636JO4

Parker T. Mattson | Facebook | IMDB

Offline sheritybemy

• View Profile
« Reply #16578 on: April 21, 2017, 03:42:05 AM »
It's Friday and I have got the day off. Time to get some writing done.

I see some of you folks talking about receiving some e-mail from some fellow who is going to revolutionize your Kindle Scout campaign if ONLY you send them umpteen dollars.

I wonder if that guy is related to all of those folks who keep e-mailing me and telling me that if I only send them $500 they will teach me the hidden Shaolin temple secrets of how to sell a billion e-books tomorrow.

Let's get to the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left Corsair: The King's X Protocol by Stephen T. Harper
2 days left Turn by Paul B. Kohler
3 days left The Lovers by Irina Shapiro
6 days left Angel of Death by Adrian Ferrer
6 days left The Vice President: Foreign Frights by Elina Salajeva
6 days left Tropic Heat by Parker T. Mattson
7 days left His Vengeful Seduction, Her Flaming Revenge by Bemy Wells
8 days left Incognolio by Michael Sussman
10 days left Ryan Kaine: On the Run by Kerry J. Donovan
10 days left Arsenal by Jeffery H. Haskell
13 days left Frozen Perfection by Rae B. Lake
14 days left Fair. Right. Just. The Path From A Parochial Education to a Carnal Life by Michael J. Cirillo
14 days left Observations by Chuck Foster
14 days left Sponsor by Matthew Lehr
15 days left The Neglected Ones by C.L. Salaski
16 days left The Final Enemy by Dan Petrosini
16 days left Animal Graph by M. Black
16 days left Eternal Flame by Alexa Kang
20 days left Her Forsaken Prince: A Scifi Romance by Maya Hughes
20 days left What The Hell is Going On Here? by Roman Hawk
20 days left Spark Out by Nick Rippington
21 days left Breached by Patrick Doyle
24 days left Dead Close to Reality by Jennifer Bull
27 days left Vigilante Angels Book 1: The Priest by Billy Decarlo

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting folks!

Nominated already

The King's X Protocol by Stephen T. Harper
Glad to see it's hot, can't wait to read🤤

Just nominated

Turn by Paul B. Kohler
The lovers by Irina Shapiro

Fingers crossed for you 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #16579 on: April 21, 2017, 03:44:19 AM »
Aww, I feel part of the gang now. Alex Pavlenko wants to promote me too :D Although I am a little concerned that he emailed both my author email (which is on my website, so I expect this) and my personal email (which should not be posted anywhere). That's some scouting he's doing.

Rwf, when you nominate a book the popup box offers a number of star ratings you can fill out for different aspects of the campaign, as well as a comments section. These, I believe, are only visible to the Kindle Scout editors.

Best of luck to those on the last day or two of their campaigns!!
The Paper Scientist | Tools for Writers (including character booklets, scene cards, and pre-made book covers) available on Etsy

Offline Rwf999

• View Profile
« Reply #16580 on: April 21, 2017, 04:08:59 AM »
Aww, I feel part of the gang now. Alex Pavlenko wants to promote me too :D Although I am a little concerned that he emailed both my author email (which is on my website, so I expect this) and my personal email (which should not be posted anywhere). That's some scouting he's doing.

Rwf, when you nominate a book the popup box offers a number of star ratings you can fill out for different aspects of the campaign, as well as a comments section. These, I believe, are only visible to the Kindle Scout editors.

Best of luck to those on the last day or two of their campaigns!!

Thank you, Jennifer -- just thought we might get to see 'em so we'd be either more encouraged or more discouraged, as a sort of push to KEEP AT IT!
Bob

Parker T. Mattson | Facebook | IMDB

Offline Rae B. Lake

• Imagination without limits
    • View Profile
    • Rae B. Lake
« Reply #16581 on: April 21, 2017, 04:10:42 AM »
Thanks!  I'm fighting the mid-campaign struggle today.

Btw, here is a cover image for "Frozen Perfection" with a link to your campaign if you want it.  Just paste this into your signature.  I spent like three hours figuring out how to do this for mine yesterday but can do it in a couple minutes now.  I can't promise that the size and formatting is perfect.

I guess the image is showing up instead of the code.

[                  url=https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/GMRSMOJMKCJK][img height=140]https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/S/flint-images-prod/projects/GMRSMOJMKCJK/PROJECT_COVER_IMAGE_1._SY300_.jpg[                /img][/url]

Hah!  I figured out how to have the code show up.  I added two huge spaces to trick the system.  Just get rid of the spaces and it will work.  I get way too into figuring out stuff like this.  I'm sure there are much savvier ways to do it.  If anyone wants help creating a signature with their Scout campaign book cover and link, let me know.

Thank you!!!!! It worked! I feel so professional now! ;D
Frozen Perfection: 100%

Crimson Illusion: 100%

Onyx Tremors: 20%
Rae B. Lake | Blog | Youtube | wattpad

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #16582 on: April 21, 2017, 04:13:58 AM »
Thank you, Jennifer -- just thought we might get to see 'em so we'd be either more encouraged or more discouraged, as a sort of push to KEEP AT IT!
Bob
I wish we could! I really would love stats on how many nominations we have too. I bet that would be a lot more telling than the current stats when comparing between accepted and rejected campaigns.

Offline Rae B. Lake

• Imagination without limits
    • View Profile
    • Rae B. Lake
« Reply #16583 on: April 21, 2017, 04:15:05 AM »
Corsair: The King's X Protocol by Stephen T. Harper
 Turn by Paul B. Kohler

nominated!!!

Good luck guys!!
Frozen Perfection: 100%

Crimson Illusion: 100%

Onyx Tremors: 20%
Rae B. Lake | Blog | Youtube | wattpad

Offline J.G. McKenney

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • J.G. McKenney
« Reply #16584 on: April 21, 2017, 04:40:47 AM »
Just filled my two open slots with Turn and The Lovers. Good luck to both!

I hope to be submitting my fantasy adventure, The Book Knights, soon. Just waiting for my amazing cover artist to do his magic. Stay tuned...

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #16585 on: April 21, 2017, 04:46:31 AM »
Had two slots available and nominated:

Turn by Paul B. Kohler
The Lovers by Irina Shapiro

Already had Corsair: The King's X Protocol by Stephen T. Harper in my third nom slot.

Good luck to all three!

Mark

Offline Paul Kohler

• Littleton, Colorado
    • View Profile
    • PaulKohler.net
« Reply #16586 on: April 21, 2017, 05:06:45 AM »
1 day left Corsair: The King's X Protocol by Stephen T. Harper
2 days left Turn by Paul B. Kohler
3 days left The Lovers by Irina Shapiro

I had three open slots this morning, and I nominated the top three from Steve's list! Good luck to you all, but especially for the one in the middle there. ;)
Turn, Book One of the Humanity's Edge Trilogy is available for Preorder, with publication on May 30th! Click the cover today!
Paul B. Kohler | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline ishapiro_99

• View Profile
« Reply #16587 on: April 21, 2017, 05:20:33 AM »
Well, I signed up for Author Shout, as many people have suggested, but haven't seen any spike in views.  I'm in the FINAL STRETCH and would really appreciate a helping hand.  Please nominate my book.

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2A7OA8S8JJFFS

Offline Alyson Larrabee

• Easton, MA
    • View Profile
    • https://alysonlarrabee.wordpress.com/author/alysonlarrabee/
« Reply #16588 on: April 21, 2017, 05:55:42 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the hourly refresh time has changed? It used to refresh all the lists (notably Hot and Trending) at 15 minutes past the hour. Now it seems to be 45 minutes past the hour. (Not that I'm obsessively checking the page or anything...)

You should've been here for daylight savings. The stats didn't refresh for dayzzz. #KSwarstories

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #16589 on: April 21, 2017, 06:06:20 AM »
You should've been here for daylight savings. The stats didn't refresh for dayzzz. #KSwarstories

:O I don't think I'd have coped!!

Offline Cfoster44

• View Profile
« Reply #16590 on: April 21, 2017, 06:07:48 AM »
Over 15 days in and 0 hours in hot and trending... the anxiety builds!

Have people used third party promotion sites or do they focus mainly on mobilizing their already present social networks?

Thanks for the help,
Chuck

Offline Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #16591 on: April 21, 2017, 06:17:26 AM »

Have people used third party promotion sites or do they focus mainly on mobilizing their already present social networks?

Thanks for the help,
Chuck

That H&T list is not easy to get on, or stay on for that matter! I've not used any third party promotion sites for a few reasons. So far I've just utilised social media and family/friends contacts. I'm not very pushy when it comes to direct marketing (because I, personally, don't like pushy marketing) so that doesn't help me with getting votes!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:20:23 AM by Jennifer Bull »

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #16592 on: April 21, 2017, 06:34:03 AM »

Thanks for the help,
Chuck
Keep in mind that the stats don't determine selection. Some high stat books have been rejected, while low stat ones have been accepted. (I'm saying that in case the whole thing is making you overly nervous.

That said, people use different approaches. Those with big social media followings advertise to their current base. Some used paid promotion sites. Some use both. A few use a "set it and forget it" model. (Put the book up and let the chips fall where they may.)

If you have a following, I'd advertise to them gently (just a few times during the thirty days). In this thread you can find information about paid promotion sites. Some get results, but others don't.

As I said, campaigns don't get books picked, but they can help with the eventual launch. For selected books, every nomination equals a free book (which in that context counts as a sale and boosts initial ranking). For books that aren't selected, the exposure makes it easier to get a self-publishing launch off the ground. (My rejected Scout book performed better than any of my other titles.)

if you don't have a social media following, it's good to build one, but building one authentically takes time, so don't worry about it right now.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Tom_Kav

• Brighton
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Page
« Reply #16593 on: April 21, 2017, 07:22:44 AM »
Keep in mind that the stats don't determine selection. Some high stat books have been rejected, while low stat ones have been accepted. (I'm saying that in case the whole thing is making you overly nervous.

That said, people use different approaches. Those with big social media followings advertise to their current base. Some used paid promotion sites. Some use both. A few use a "set it and forget it" model. (Put the book up and let the chips fall where they may.)

If you have a following, I'd advertise to them gently (just a few times during the thirty days). In this thread you can find information about paid promotion sites. Some get results, but others don't.

As I said, campaigns don't get books picked, but they can help with the eventual launch. For selected books, every nomination equals a free book (which in that context counts as a sale and boosts initial ranking). For books that aren't selected, the exposure makes it easier to get a self-publishing launch off the ground. (My rejected Scout book performed better than any of my other titles.)

if you don't have a social media following, it's good to build one, but building one authentically takes time, so don't worry about it right now.

I'm hoping the quality of the cover/ms itself is the defining factor once it gets into the hands of the editorial team, because my stats were incredibly meager compared to some of yours. I did a little bit on twitter (both ads and natural) and got the illustrator that worked on the cover to share on her social media channels (which got the highest page views), but for most of the time did the "set it and forget it" tactic.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #16594 on: April 21, 2017, 08:12:25 AM »
I'm hoping the quality of the cover/ms itself is the defining factor once it gets into the hands of the editorial team, because my stats were incredibly meager compared to some of yours. I did a little bit on twitter (both ads and natural) and got the illustrator that worked on the cover to share on her social media channels (which got the highest page views), but for most of the time did the "set it and forget it" tactic.
The consensus seems to be that you are exactly right. The manuscript (and to some extent the cover) is what makes the difference. for a while, Lincoln Cole was accumulating shared campaign stats and his website, and while the average for page views and hot and trending was higher for selected books, there were plenty of outliers on both sides and many more books above the average for selected books that didn't make it. I'm sure high stats don't hurt, but it's clear they aren't decisive.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Stephen T. Harper

• Marina Del Rey, Ca
    • View Profile
    • Kings X Saga
« Reply #16595 on: April 21, 2017, 08:13:26 AM »

Nominated already

The King's X Protocol by Stephen T. Harper
Glad to see it's hot, can't wait to read🤤

Just nominated

Turn by Paul B. Kohler
The lovers by Irina Shapiro

Fingers crossed for you 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!  And Hot again at last! Maybe nominating myself really did put it over the top! lol!

So... I had a dream about all this last night (for real). It was a mostly unpleasant dream with me looking over the shoulder of a KP editor while they looked over my book with a checklist around a conference table. The guy was checking off each point of my campaign as a dismal failure, saying no points for this, no point for that... then he said...

But I love this book and I want to publish it.  So I guess I've got that going for me now.

Thanks everybody for your support! Good luck to Tiffany and Carrie Ann!

Nominating Turn and The Lovers - good luck!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:59:39 AM by Stephen T. Harper »

Stephen T. Harper | KingsXsaga

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #16596 on: April 21, 2017, 08:39:34 AM »
Just filled my two open slots with Turn and The Lovers. Good luck to both!

I hope to be submitting my fantasy adventure, The Book Knights, soon. Just waiting for my amazing cover artist to do his magic. Stay tuned...

Exciting times, JG. Looking forward to reading the sample. :)

Kerry J Donovan

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #16597 on: April 21, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »

Thank you!!!!! It worked! I feel so professional now! ;D

Looking good Rae B. And no, that's not a 'come on', I'm a granddad.  :)

Best of luck with your campaign. :)

Kerry J Donovan

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #16598 on: April 21, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
I had three open slots this morning, and I nominated the top three from Steve's list! Good luck to you all, but especially for the one in the middle there. ;)

Quit that ridiculous self aggrandisement, Paul. Completely our of order. shocking. :O
Wait another 10 days to see what I'm like! ;)

Kerry J Donovan

Offline Cfoster44

• View Profile
« Reply #16599 on: April 21, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »
The consensus seems to be that you are exactly right. The manuscript (and to some extent the cover) is what makes the difference. for a while, Lincoln Cole was accumulating shared campaign stats and his website, and while the average for page views and hot and trending was higher for selected books, there were plenty of outliers on both sides and many more books above the average for selected books that didn't make it. I'm sure high stats don't hurt, but it's clear they aren't decisive.

Thanks for the info and the advice. The process of putting your work out there is pretty surreal and even more so to think that so many of us are a part of it.

Glad I found this community and will do my part nominating others too!