Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 989546 times)  

Offline J.G. McKenney

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • J.G. McKenney
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #16600 on: April 21, 2017, 04:40:47 AM »
Just filled my two open slots with Turn and The Lovers. Good luck to both!

I hope to be submitting my fantasy adventure, The Book Knights, soon. Just waiting for my amazing cover artist to do his magic. Stay tuned...
HmmmYou will feel a strange sensation, but do not fear it. Youll be passing between the worlds. The other awaits you. Eon, the Elder.

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #16601 on: April 21, 2017, 04:46:31 AM »
Had two slots available and nominated:

Turn by Paul B. Kohler
The Lovers by Irina Shapiro

Already had Corsair: The King's X Protocol by Stephen T. Harper in my third nom slot.

Good luck to all three!

Mark

Online Paul Kohler

• Littleton, Colorado
    • View Profile
    • PaulKohler.net
« Reply #16602 on: April 21, 2017, 05:06:45 AM »
1 day left Corsair: The King's X Protocol by Stephen T. Harper
2 days left Turn by Paul B. Kohler
3 days left The Lovers by Irina Shapiro

I had three open slots this morning, and I nominated the top three from Steve's list! Good luck to you all, but especially for the one in the middle there. ;)
Turn, Book One of the Humanity's Edge Trilogy is now in Kindle Scout! I'd greatly appreciate your nomination. Just click the book cover above.
Paul B. Kohler | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline ishapiro_99

• View Profile
« Reply #16603 on: April 21, 2017, 05:20:33 AM »
Well, I signed up for Author Shout, as many people have suggested, but haven't seen any spike in views.  I'm in the FINAL STRETCH and would really appreciate a helping hand.  Please nominate my book.

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2A7OA8S8JJFFS

Offline Alyson Larrabee

• Easton, MA
    • View Profile
    • https://alysonlarrabee.wordpress.com/author/alysonlarrabee/
« Reply #16604 on: April 21, 2017, 05:55:42 AM »
Has anyone else noticed the hourly refresh time has changed? It used to refresh all the lists (notably Hot and Trending) at 15 minutes past the hour. Now it seems to be 45 minutes past the hour. (Not that I'm obsessively checking the page or anything...)

You should've been here for daylight savings. The stats didn't refresh for dayzzz. #KSwarstories

Online Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #16605 on: April 21, 2017, 06:06:20 AM »
You should've been here for daylight savings. The stats didn't refresh for dayzzz. #KSwarstories

:O I don't think I'd have coped!!
Jennifer Bull | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Etsy

Offline Cfoster44

• View Profile
« Reply #16606 on: April 21, 2017, 06:07:48 AM »
Over 15 days in and 0 hours in hot and trending... the anxiety builds!

Have people used third party promotion sites or do they focus mainly on mobilizing their already present social networks?

Thanks for the help,
Chuck

Online Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #16607 on: April 21, 2017, 06:17:26 AM »

Have people used third party promotion sites or do they focus mainly on mobilizing their already present social networks?

Thanks for the help,
Chuck

That H&T list is not easy to get on, or stay on for that matter! I've not used any third party promotion sites for a few reasons. So far I've just utilised social media and family/friends contacts. I'm not very pushy when it comes to direct marketing (because I, personally, don't like pushy marketing) so that doesn't help me with getting votes!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:20:23 AM by Jennifer Bull »

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #16608 on: April 21, 2017, 06:34:03 AM »

Thanks for the help,
Chuck
Keep in mind that the stats don't determine selection. Some high stat books have been rejected, while low stat ones have been accepted. (I'm saying that in case the whole thing is making you overly nervous.

That said, people use different approaches. Those with big social media followings advertise to their current base. Some used paid promotion sites. Some use both. A few use a "set it and forget it" model. (Put the book up and let the chips fall where they may.)

If you have a following, I'd advertise to them gently (just a few times during the thirty days). In this thread you can find information about paid promotion sites. Some get results, but others don't.

As I said, campaigns don't get books picked, but they can help with the eventual launch. For selected books, every nomination equals a free book (which in that context counts as a sale and boosts initial ranking). For books that aren't selected, the exposure makes it easier to get a self-publishing launch off the ground. (My rejected Scout book performed better than any of my other titles.)

if you don't have a social media following, it's good to build one, but building one authentically takes time, so don't worry about it right now.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Tom_Kav

• Brighton
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Page
« Reply #16609 on: April 21, 2017, 07:22:44 AM »
Keep in mind that the stats don't determine selection. Some high stat books have been rejected, while low stat ones have been accepted. (I'm saying that in case the whole thing is making you overly nervous.

That said, people use different approaches. Those with big social media followings advertise to their current base. Some used paid promotion sites. Some use both. A few use a "set it and forget it" model. (Put the book up and let the chips fall where they may.)

If you have a following, I'd advertise to them gently (just a few times during the thirty days). In this thread you can find information about paid promotion sites. Some get results, but others don't.

As I said, campaigns don't get books picked, but they can help with the eventual launch. For selected books, every nomination equals a free book (which in that context counts as a sale and boosts initial ranking). For books that aren't selected, the exposure makes it easier to get a self-publishing launch off the ground. (My rejected Scout book performed better than any of my other titles.)

if you don't have a social media following, it's good to build one, but building one authentically takes time, so don't worry about it right now.

I'm hoping the quality of the cover/ms itself is the defining factor once it gets into the hands of the editorial team, because my stats were incredibly meager compared to some of yours. I did a little bit on twitter (both ads and natural) and got the illustrator that worked on the cover to share on her social media channels (which got the highest page views), but for most of the time did the "set it and forget it" tactic.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #16610 on: April 21, 2017, 08:12:25 AM »
I'm hoping the quality of the cover/ms itself is the defining factor once it gets into the hands of the editorial team, because my stats were incredibly meager compared to some of yours. I did a little bit on twitter (both ads and natural) and got the illustrator that worked on the cover to share on her social media channels (which got the highest page views), but for most of the time did the "set it and forget it" tactic.
The consensus seems to be that you are exactly right. The manuscript (and to some extent the cover) is what makes the difference. for a while, Lincoln Cole was accumulating shared campaign stats and his website, and while the average for page views and hot and trending was higher for selected books, there were plenty of outliers on both sides and many more books above the average for selected books that didn't make it. I'm sure high stats don't hurt, but it's clear they aren't decisive.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Stephen T. Harper

• Marina Del Rey, Ca
    • View Profile
    • Kings X Saga
« Reply #16611 on: April 21, 2017, 08:13:26 AM »

Nominated already

The King's X Protocol by Stephen T. Harper
Glad to see it's hot, can't wait to read🤤

Just nominated

Turn by Paul B. Kohler
The lovers by Irina Shapiro

Fingers crossed for you 🤞

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks!  And Hot again at last! Maybe nominating myself really did put it over the top! lol!

So... I had a dream about all this last night (for real). It was a mostly unpleasant dream with me looking over the shoulder of a KP editor while they looked over my book with a checklist around a conference table. The guy was checking off each point of my campaign as a dismal failure, saying no points for this, no point for that... then he said...

But I love this book and I want to publish it.  So I guess I've got that going for me now.

Thanks everybody for your support! Good luck to Tiffany and Carrie Ann!

Nominating Turn and The Lovers - good luck!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 08:59:39 AM by Stephen T. Harper »

Most of us will never remember our past lifetimes. Molly would give anything to forget hers.
Stephen T. Harper | KingsXsaga

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #16612 on: April 21, 2017, 08:39:34 AM »
Just filled my two open slots with Turn and The Lovers. Good luck to both!

I hope to be submitting my fantasy adventure, The Book Knights, soon. Just waiting for my amazing cover artist to do his magic. Stay tuned...

Exciting times, JG. Looking forward to reading the sample. :)

Kerry J Donovan

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #16613 on: April 21, 2017, 08:42:44 AM »

Thank you!!!!! It worked! I feel so professional now! ;D

Looking good Rae B. And no, that's not a 'come on', I'm a granddad.  :)

Best of luck with your campaign. :)

Kerry J Donovan

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #16614 on: April 21, 2017, 08:45:49 AM »
I had three open slots this morning, and I nominated the top three from Steve's list! Good luck to you all, but especially for the one in the middle there. ;)

Quit that ridiculous self aggrandisement, Paul. Completely our of order. shocking. :O
Wait another 10 days to see what I'm like! ;)

Kerry J Donovan

Offline Cfoster44

• View Profile
« Reply #16615 on: April 21, 2017, 08:51:38 AM »
The consensus seems to be that you are exactly right. The manuscript (and to some extent the cover) is what makes the difference. for a while, Lincoln Cole was accumulating shared campaign stats and his website, and while the average for page views and hot and trending was higher for selected books, there were plenty of outliers on both sides and many more books above the average for selected books that didn't make it. I'm sure high stats don't hurt, but it's clear they aren't decisive.

Thanks for the info and the advice. The process of putting your work out there is pretty surreal and even more so to think that so many of us are a part of it.

Glad I found this community and will do my part nominating others too!

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #16616 on: April 21, 2017, 08:53:04 AM »

I've been using my FB and Twitter accounts, Author Shout, and doing Newsletter swaps with my author friends.

And now, with 10 days to do, I'm down to searching for long-lost relatives and asking neighbours if their pets have Kindle and social media accounts. Expecting a huge fall off in support support until the final couple of days when my buddies here might help rescue my chances.  :)

Pretty please.  ;D

Kerry J Donovan

Online Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16617 on: April 21, 2017, 09:00:06 AM »
No one seems to believe me, but the H&T list does not refresh hourly. I have seen it change several times in the course of an hour. (Haven't been following it so closely as of late, since my novel is now Cold & Lonely.)  :-)

Two slots open:
Turn
The Lovers

Good luck, folks!

Online AlexaKang

• View Profile
« Reply #16618 on: April 21, 2017, 09:09:18 AM »
I just got another email, in addition to the Alex Pavelenko one yesterday. I'll copy it below, and redact the link. Definitely don't click on strange links in your email folks, especially bit.ly or other "shortened" ones. Could lead you to a site that will insert malware in your computer, or take it for ransom. You all have done backups each day, right? I really prefer Duplicati for free, safe backups, especially to cloud drives like Google Drive, etc. It's the only service I know of where *only* you have the keys. Carbonite and others keep a copy of your encryption key. Good if you need to get bailed out, bad if they get hacked or the government says "turn it over". I use PW Safe to store all of my passwords. Also free.

Hi, Mr.DeCarlo: Congrats for submitting "Vigilante Angel Book I"  to Kindle Scout. After my own KS experience, I wrote the article "Maximizing your Kindle Scout opportunities" at http://xxxxxx. I think it may be helpful for your campaign, I wish you the best of luck!
Best,
Fabiola Isaac

Well I got this:

> From: donotreply@domainsbyproxy.com
> Date: April 20, 2017 at 7:52:48 AM EDT
> To:
> Subject: FWD: Re: Problems [alexakang.com@domainsbyproxy.com] (FROM: some gmail address)
> Reply-To: donotreply@domainsbyproxy.com
>
> Hi I am having navigational problems visiting your site. can you help?? I am unable to find any information related to your book. Thanks
>
> Maria Solano

Uh huh.

Meantime, I wonder if Alex Pavlenko offers group therapy sessions to Scouters. 

Offline Knox

• View Profile
« Reply #16619 on: April 21, 2017, 09:39:39 AM »
No one seems to believe me, but the H&T list does not refresh hourly. I have seen it change several times in the course of an hour. (Haven't been following it so closely as of late, since my novel is now Cold & Lonely.)  :-)

I don't think it's a matter of belief, we are just not experiencing that. I can tell you unequivocally that it has not been the case on  my end. Every waking hour for the past month I have refreshed just before the reset time- and nothing has changed since the previous reset, which always occurred between 15-20 minutes after the hour. The list has always exactly the same, at least on the H&T list (haven't been looking at the others). Until the next reset, again always at the same time, until a little flip occurred after a couple hour stall yesterday. This wouldn't be the case if the list changed more than once.
Maybe you have something weird that the rest of us don't have, dunno. But I think there are too many of us on here obsessively checking (not me!) to think only one person has actually noticed such a thing :)

Well I got this:

> From: donotreply@domainsbyproxy.com
> Date: April 20, 2017 at 7:52:48 AM EDT
> To:
> Subject: FWD: Re: Problems [alexakang.com@domainsbyproxy.com] (FROM: some gmail address)
> Reply-To: donotreply@domainsbyproxy.com
>
> Hi I am having navigational problems visiting your site. can you help?? I am unable to find any information related to your book. Thanks
>> Maria Solano

I got that one too, both of them! Wondered how they got my personal email...

So glad to be done, but now for the wait! I think the wine festival tomorrow should help...:) Thanks everybody!

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #16620 on: April 21, 2017, 09:42:53 AM »

Good luck, folks!
Ha! Nice to read you are so sanguine about it, Michael!
Good luck, mate. :)

Kerry J Donovan

Online Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #16621 on: April 21, 2017, 09:43:54 AM »

Two slots open:
Turn
The Lovers

Good luck, folks!

Really? I've been following it quite closely since I joined with my campaign and it's consistently updated at 16 minutes past the hour until yesterday when it had a period of no updating, then started updating at 46 minutes past the hour. I base it on the order of the books changing on the H&T list. Every refresh they shuffle the books around. Obviously I've only been here a few days, so perhaps I've just not been watching long enough to experience it.

Offline KJD1957

• View Profile
« Reply #16622 on: April 21, 2017, 09:46:00 AM »
So glad to be done, but now for the wait! I think the wine festival tomorrow should help...:) Thanks everybody!

Wine festival?Wine festival!

And why wasn't I invited?  >:(

Kerry J Donovan

Online Jennifer Bull

• View Profile
« Reply #16623 on: April 21, 2017, 09:48:24 AM »
Don't worry, mine's cold and lonely too! :P I think we should ask Scout to create a Cold and Lonely list.

Offline Knox

• View Profile
« Reply #16624 on: April 21, 2017, 09:59:05 AM »
Wine festival?Wine festival!

And why wasn't I invited?  >:(

Haha- come on down! A Scout wine festival sounds even better!!