KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1592920 times)  

Offline David Thompson

• UK
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #20250 on: August 15, 2017, 03:18:53 PM »
Had two slots open so I nominated The Fallen Child by David Thompson and Just Jilted by Lila James. I'm excited for both of you - they both sound incredibly interesting in wildly different ways. Good luck! :)

Thank you.

Bar Girl is FREE!
David Thompson | TRUK LAGOON KS Campaign!

Offline C. J. Sears

• View Profile
    • ImpromptuGameof52
« Reply #20251 on: August 15, 2017, 03:22:42 PM »
Yeah, the competition is stiff just now. Some good books on there. There's six books all ending in two days time with nothing coming off before then, so I reckon the five of them will remain so as H&T with internal nominations going mostly to them. I wouldn't worry about page reads and H&T, at the end of the day, it will be what they prefer to publish.

Yeah. Like any publisher, it's a matter of their tastes and/or whatever fits their specific needs.

Thanks for the kind words and I hope the future nomination, the cover took me a while but I'm quite happy with it too.
I had a look at The Smiling Man Conspiracy and loved the excerpt, it's now in slot 2 along with Countdown to Z-day.

Thanks, Luke. Sometimes it's difficult to stick close to the top of the list with so many interesting reads. But I'll definitely nominate Like Flies when the time arrives. I try to get everyone on the list bar the rare occasion where there's not enough open slots.

Hope the experience goes well for you! My first attempt was an exhausting exercise in learning the ropes of how to deal with the process.

Online Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #20252 on: August 16, 2017, 02:19:13 AM »
Okay - so it's Wednesday. Hump Day for a lot of folks - but I've got Friday off this week so I am darned near through the week!

Let's get to the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

2 days left The Fallen Child by David Thompson
2 days left Just Jilted by Lila James
8 days left The Hills of Mare Imbrium by Carleton Chinner
8 days left Dreadmarrow Thief by Marjory Kaptanoglu
9 days left The Smiling Man Conspiracy by C.J. Sears
10 days left Girl At The Window by Declan Conner
11 days left Jalapeno Cupcake Wench by Carol Kilgore
12 days left The Lost and Found Journal of a Miner 49er by Jack Dublin
17 days left Dislocated by Ketheryn Leopard
19 days left The Darwin Project by John Hindmarsh
22 days left Freyja's Torc by Angelo Tsanatelis
22 days left All For Love by Cecilia Hopkins
22 days left The Fool's Secret by K. Childs
25 days left Wolf's Oath by Meg MacDonald
25 days left A Small Price by D.L. Barnhart
25 days left Like Flies by Luke K. Bell
26 days left Rebirth by L. Fergus
26 days left The Torchbearer by J.D. Matheny
26 days left Moonrise by Mark Gardner

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting folks!

Online Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #20253 on: August 16, 2017, 08:14:52 AM »
If you want to take time out from stressing about KS, here's an interview with  KS editor that gives some insights as to how it works in their eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j47gmcxWfAI

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline ajitkpanicker

• India
  • Read what you love, not what is trending !!
    • View Profile
    • Ajit Panicker Readers Paradise
« Reply #20254 on: August 16, 2017, 08:24:43 AM »
Okay - so it's Wednesday. Hump Day for a lot of folks - but I've got Friday off this week so I am darned near through the week!

Let's get to the list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

2 days left The Fallen Child by David Thompson
2 days left Just Jilted by Lila James
8 days left The Hills of Mare Imbrium by Carleton Chinner
8 days left Dreadmarrow Thief by Marjory Kaptanoglu
9 days left The Smiling Man Conspiracy by C.J. Sears
10 days left Girl At The Window by Declan Conner
11 days left Jalapeno Cupcake Wench by Carol Kilgore
12 days left The Lost and Found Journal of a Miner 49er by Jack Dublin
17 days left Dislocated by Ketheryn Leopard
19 days left The Darwin Project by John Hindmarsh
22 days left Freyja's Torc by Angelo Tsanatelis
22 days left All For Love by Cecilia Hopkins
22 days left The Fool's Secret by K. Childs
25 days left Wolf's Oath by Meg MacDonald
25 days left A Small Price by D.L. Barnhart
25 days left Like Flies by Luke K. Bell
26 days left Rebirth by L. Fergus
26 days left The Torchbearer by J.D. Matheny
26 days left Moonrise by Mark Gardner

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting folks!

Hi,
My current nominations:
1. Just Jilted by Lila James
2. Screams you hear by James Morris
3. Countdown to Z-Day by Kevin Kearney

My book, I think I know you...Karunya, Do I, a romantic thriller, is now live on Amazon !! https://www.amazon.in/think-know-you-Karunya-eternally-ebook/dp/B074KXZVD1/
Check this out
Read the preview here https://read.amazon.in/kp/embed?asin=B074KXZVD1&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_jngLzbJ0CC1YK

Ajit Panicker | Kindle Scout | Facebook | Twitter | Website

Offline HargrovePerth

• The Midwest
  • Writer of things dark and paranormal-ly delicious
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of Hargrove Perth
« Reply #20255 on: August 16, 2017, 08:29:13 AM »
My current list of nominations include
1. Ghost in the Park by Julliane Johnson
2. The Prophecy by Bella Salavatore
3. 3 shades of Midnight by Hargrove Perth

Best of luck , to all the three !!

thank you so much for the nom! I am still waiting, chewing off my fingernails, and wondering why on day 12 I still haven't heard a peep!

A Storyteller is the root of all dreams...
Hargrove Perth | website | facebook | twitter

Offline Rena Arun

• View Profile
« Reply #20256 on: August 16, 2017, 08:31:12 AM »
Just nominated "Screams You Hear" though it's not on the list, as I really enjoyed the excerpt.
So did I! There are some wonderful reads out there, including yours!

Offline margiebk

• View Profile
    • Marjory Kaptanoglu | Novelist & Screenwriter
« Reply #20257 on: August 16, 2017, 09:13:00 AM »
So did I! There are some wonderful reads out there, including yours!

Thanks, Rena! And I just made another last minute discovery: "Wait for the Light." It's a funny and enjoyable read.

Marjory Kaptanoglu | Website | Goodreads | IMDB | Blog | Facebook

Offline lukekbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20258 on: August 16, 2017, 09:24:09 AM »
Welcome to the board, where Steve Vernon kindly does our shameless plugs for us :). (You can PM him to add you to the list.)

Thanks for the suggestion! And thanks to Steve for adding me to the list.

Like Flies
Signup for news and updates at www.lukekbell.co.uk

Offline Jill James

• Biggest Little City in the World
    • View Profile
    • Jill James, romance writer
« Reply #20259 on: August 16, 2017, 09:58:56 AM »
I have Like Flies saved for later. Good luck!!
Ghostly Intentions: 100%

Nanowrimo project: 0%
"A Little Sweet. A Little Sexy. A Lot Happily-Ever-After."
Jill James | blog | website | Facebook | Twitter | newsletter

Online Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #20260 on: August 16, 2017, 10:34:31 AM »
thank you so much for the nom! I am still waiting, chewing off my fingernails, and wondering why on day 12 I still haven't heard a peep!

Probably vacations.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline lukekbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20261 on: August 16, 2017, 10:45:33 PM »
Hope the experience goes well for you! My first attempt was an exhausting exercise in learning the ropes of how to deal with the process.

I'm finding myself obsessing over the campaign stats and the fact that I can't seem to get anywhere near H&T is slightly worrying as I start to move down the other categories, but I guess ultimately it's up to the Kindle Scout gods anyway. I'll just cross my fingers and try to be patient!

Like Flies

Online Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #20262 on: August 17, 2017, 04:24:17 AM »
With a flood of new books, the H&T now has 17 books, but with 13 books ending over today and tomorrow, that could change.

Declan Conner | blog

Online Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #20263 on: August 17, 2017, 05:09:39 AM »
I'm finding myself obsessing over the campaign stats and the fact that I can't seem to get anywhere near H&T is slightly worrying as I start to move down the other categories, but I guess ultimately it's up to the Kindle Scout gods anyway. I'll just cross my fingers and try to be patient!

I've just been reading another thread where the author says she was offered a contract with only 1500 page views, considerably less than others reported at the time. KS published it in September 2016. Others have been on the H&T 24/7 for almost, or all of the campaign and been rejected. It's not worth obsessing.

I imagine that the editors are like readers. They'll look at what's new, taking note of book cover, blurb and maybe only a few paragraphs, especially the opening. Just like literary agents, that's all they do to decide if  they want to explore snd look further. If something ticks their boxes, then they have the MS, so no doubt if something grabs them, they will read it see if it has legs. If they are conviced it is well edited, with a sound plot for the genre, nothing will shake them for wanting it to progress. If it doesn't grab their attention, then it's a no, however many page landings and nominations.

That's not to say nominations and the H&T doesn't count to have them maybe take a second look.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:08:37 AM by Decon »

Declan Conner | blog

Offline Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #20264 on: August 17, 2017, 05:42:25 AM »
I've been experiencing mega page views yesterday and the day before. I'm already at more page views than entire campaigns in the past. No H&T though. All the traffic appears to be from KS.

What do you all make of it?

Offline C. J. Sears

• View Profile
    • ImpromptuGameof52
« Reply #20265 on: August 17, 2017, 05:51:13 AM »
Mark, my guess would be the strength of the cover is drawing a large number of eyes to the excerpt. That's a tremendous amount of views in such a short time without being Hot & Trending.

So I'd say: strong cover, probably a great excerpt, lots of "save for later" and a fair few (but not enough) nominations is what you're dealing with here.

Offline lukekbell

• View Profile
« Reply #20266 on: August 17, 2017, 06:19:33 AM »
I have Like Flies saved for later. Good luck!!

Thanks Jill! I appreciate you taking the time to give it a look.

Like Flies

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #20267 on: August 17, 2017, 06:19:53 AM »
I've been experiencing mega page views yesterday and the day before. I'm already at more page views than entire campaigns in the past. No H&T though. All the traffic appears to be from KS.

Awesome cover btw. Congrats on the traffic and good luck with the contract. My guess is that they are tweaking how the hot and trending algorithm works and traffic in general is less valuable. Since we don't know the inner workings of the process it is impossible to say exactly what will come of it.

Online Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #20268 on: August 17, 2017, 06:43:22 AM »
Mark, I had exactly the same. 98% internal and even with 3105 page landings by the 8th day, I only had 1 hour on H&T

For Kindle Scouters, which are internal views, it's clear they gravitate to the books coming off at the end. Some books don't even get onto H&T until the last days.

It's all down to getting more external views in the early stages as they will be directed to your book for nomination rather than just looking. To get on the H&T, it needs planning beforehand, with ads sheduled, images prepared for tweeting and facebooking, mailing list ad etc, which I didn't do any of those. As soon as I played catch up with marketing for external nominations, I hit the H&T. As I said, as you approach the end, those early page landings and saves which don't count, then their later internal nominations keep you on there as your external marketing becomes stale. As of today, my external views are 791, but they have now slowed, but they have upped the % from 2% to 15%

The thing is that if I manage to stay on there for the last 9 days, the most I can expect is around 520 hours H&T, but it could be that as those early page views pay dividend, I could possibly end up with more nominations than someone with 720 hrs H&T, so for you and others, all is not lost.

The first port of call is readper @ $7.50 for the duration of the campaign and the other is around $15, Author shout, mainly for regular tweets.

But like I say, the editors really decide.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 10:45:31 AM by Decon »

Declan Conner | blog

Online Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #20269 on: August 17, 2017, 08:28:09 AM »
I've just been reading another thread where the author says she was offered a contract with only 1500 page views, considerably less than others reported at the time. KS published it in September 2016. Others have been on the H&T 24/7 for almost, or all of the campaign and been rejected. It's not worth obsessing.

The Ceiling Man was selected with 924 page views and 162 hours in H&T; Ghosts in Glass Houses was selected with 1700 page views and 403 hours in H&T.

Do what you are comfortable with for promotion and do your best not to obsess. Don't make yourself miserable. (In other words, do as I say not as I did the first time around.) As Decon said, it's not worth it.

Offline JDMatheny

• View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #20270 on: August 17, 2017, 08:50:59 AM »

What do you all make of it?

My campaign stats are very similar.  I hit quite a lot of H&T in the first few days, but then that fell off, but my page views doubled over the last two days.  At first I was worried that meant I was getting views but no nominations because people didn't like the excerpt, but hopefully it means that it's getting saved for later.

J.D.Matheny | Facebook |Website

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #20271 on: August 17, 2017, 09:03:16 AM »
Awesome cover btw. Congrats on the traffic and good luck with the contract. My guess is that they are tweaking how the hot and trending algorithm works and traffic in general is less valuable. Since we don't know the inner workings of the process it is impossible to say exactly what will come of it.

I have suspected something along these lines as well. It is unusual to see folks with over 300 page views around launch not getting any hours H&T, at least it used to be.  Now, that seems to be the norm.  Combine that with how the Internal External split used to end up closer to 50/50, and now 80/20 is much more common, and I suspect there are some changes are being tried out.  Pure conjecture on my part, of course.

Offline Michael Sussman

• Cambridge, MA
    • View Profile
    • MichaelSussmanBooks.com
« Reply #20272 on: August 17, 2017, 10:12:12 AM »
I just nominated:
The Fallen Child by David Thompson
Just Jilted by Lila James
Dreadmarrow Thief by Marjory Kaptanoglu

Haven't been on this thread in a while, as I was busy preparing for this week's launch of my psychological thriller, INCOGNOLIO, which was rejected by KS in May and now rises phoenix-like from the ashes!

I want to invite everyone who doesn't land a contract to check out the "My book wasn't accepted for Kindle Scout, Now what?" thread where we share information and mutual support.

Michael Sussman | MichaelSussmanBooks.com

Offline MladenR

• Ecopark, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
  • Founder of http://www.writertowriters.com
    • View Profile
    • Writer To Writers
« Reply #20273 on: August 17, 2017, 10:33:16 AM »
I see Ghost in the Park is still being reviewed. Other two books I nominated at about the same time were rejected a while ago. Is this a good sign? I kind of feel like it could be a good thing they're taking a longer look at it. I really hope it gets the deal!  ;D

Offline HargrovePerth

• The Midwest
  • Writer of things dark and paranormal-ly delicious
    • View Profile
    • Official Website of Hargrove Perth
« Reply #20274 on: August 17, 2017, 10:45:26 AM »
I think it is more a great way to launch a book than anything else, expecially when you consider they only chose 2-5% of the books subbed to be published. It is a nice platform to meet new readers but not one that too many can hope to get signed. When a book stays in hot in trending for all but a few hours of its run, and scout doesn't pick it up,  I think that speaks volumes about what they think will sell when they read it. I have seen several books do that since using the platform.

A Storyteller is the root of all dreams...
Hargrove Perth | website | facebook | twitter