Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1595699 times)  

Offline Kimjwest

• Atlanta, GA
  • Author of White Male
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #21825 on: October 22, 2017, 04:56:15 AM »
Omg. This is my 7th day since KDP launch and I woke up to this:

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #983 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#11 in Books > Literature & Fiction > African American > Women's Fiction
#12 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > African American > Women's Fiction
#17 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Romance > Multicultural & Interracial

I'm grateful I did the KS run; without it I would have no chance.  Being a debut author, I was failing to understand  how decently I was performing until I looked up a KP scout winner book that launched a week before me and is hovering around the 2300 mark which I understand is also good.  So I guess if you get a rejection there's hope.  So far no paid promo; just a tweet nobody responded to, 1 FB post got 2 likes, 3 Instagram posts and 2 free days on KDP select.  I did however write to several people on Goodreads.
I know there's a cliff after the buzz is over where you go to obscurity unless you do some promos, so I'm looking at my options. But definitely, in my limited one book experience, a KS run is essential even if you don't win.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 06:06:22 AM by Kimjwest »
No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking ~ Voltaire

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #21826 on: October 22, 2017, 05:36:57 AM »
Day 2 of my Feathered campaign.

I must say, it makes a HUGE difference, having gone through the whole process before! I wouldn't say I know what I'm doing, but I feel better equipped, knowing what to expect. Do any of you other returning authors feel the same?
Agree entirely.  This is my second as well and first off, I'm not neurotic about it.  I know I probably won't garner high views and H&T as I did last time but I am not promoting it very much either.
I believe the exposure will help a launch, whether chosen or not.
Enjoy the ride! Dan

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Online 1984Phins

• View Profile
« Reply #21827 on: October 22, 2017, 06:27:44 AM »
Agreed. I'm not obsessing over the details too much.

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #21828 on: October 22, 2017, 07:05:29 AM »
Agreed. I'm not obsessing over the details too much.

It's way too easy to obsess over kindle scout campaigns lol.

I'm in the process right now of obsessing over my book launch. It comes out on Tuesday and It's driving me bonkers...

Offline RachelWollaston

• UK
  • Living in a fanasy world
    • View Profile
    • Rachel's Website
« Reply #21829 on: October 22, 2017, 07:08:14 AM »

I'm in the process right now of obsessing over my book launch. It comes out on Tuesday and It's driving me bonkers...

Hey, Lincoln! Hows that coming along? I came across your blog post about promoting KS campaigns and found it incredibly helpful!

Rachel Wollaston | YA/Fantasy author

YA / Fantasy author
Rachel Wollaston | My Website | Nominate Feathered!

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #21830 on: October 22, 2017, 07:10:40 AM »

Good Luck Lincoln.
It can be difficult juggling a KS campaign, while preparing to launch if does not win all while promoting my latest release which is doing well.

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline Jewel Allen

• View Profile
« Reply #21831 on: October 22, 2017, 07:17:49 AM »

Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #983 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
#12 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > African American > Women's Fiction

I'm grateful I did the KS run; without it I would have no chance.  Being a debut author, I was failing to understand  how decently I was performing until I looked up a KP scout winner book that launched a week before me and is hovering around the 2300 mark which I understand is also good.  So I guess if you get a rejection there's hope.  So far no paid promo; just a tweet nobody responded to, 1 FB post got 2 likes, 3 Instagram posts and 2 free days on KDP select.  I did however write to several people on Goodreads.
I know there's a cliff after the buzz is over where you go to obscurity unless you do some promos, so I'm looking at my options. But definitely, in my limited one book experience, a KS run is essential even if you don't win.

That is great Kim!

Jewel Allen | Website | Facebook

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #21832 on: October 22, 2017, 07:25:38 AM »

Kim, anything in the top 10K is great, and its much harder to reach the top thousand. That's a fantastic debut for a newly published author.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #21833 on: October 22, 2017, 07:27:39 AM »
Thoughts on Day T-Minus 25:

We have always assumed that a large number of page views equate to a large number of nominations. But does it?

I figure most authors only receive about 100 page views and votes from family and friends. In fact, considering the number of people I know who don't even have Amazon accounts, that number might be high.

And what about the rest? If 100 strangers view your book, how many will cast a vote? My uneducated guess is five at best, quite probably around three. Think about how many books you have previewed without leaving a vote. You only have three nominations to give at any point in time. If I'm right, that means 1,000 page views equal only 30 to 50 votes. So, I have been focusing on interacting with quasi-strangers who will deliver votes, not just page views.

By quasi-strangers, I mean the people you only "know" on social media. We all (or should) have Facebook and Twitter connections that we have repeated contact with in terms of liking and reposting each other's material or engaging in short conversations. Our assumption is that these people will see your posts or tweets and immediately head to the Kindle Scout site to cast their vote. Most, I have found, will support you with a vote, BUT ONLY IF YOU MAKE PERSONAL CONTACT AND ASK. Send them a private message that explains what you're up to and how they can help. I've contacted about 20 Twitter followers during the past two days, and all agreed to cast votes. Sure, there may be a few that say they will but won't. But many shared my plea with other friends, so I bet I netted more than 20. And if I'm right about page views versus votes? That equals about what I would receive with 400 page views.

Now, here's the question. If someone has 10,000 page views and 500 nominations, are they better off in the eyes of Kindle Scout than the person with 5,000 page views and 500 nominations? I don't have an answer for that. But I suspect it evens things out a bit.

Okay. Now a fun question before I end this message. Who, to your knowledge, represents the most unlikely source for a nomination? Right now I'm going with the Tilted Kilt in Fort Myers, Florida. I imagine a well-endowed waitress reading my book description to a bunch of drunken rowdies at the bar who are flashing thumbs-up/thumbs-down signs. Hey, you don't know. Maybe it happened that way.
It's certainly true that most people who view don't vote. As far as your question is concerned, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that higher views are never a bad thing, so the 10,000 person may have a marginal advantage. It's probable that nominations are given far more weight, though--to the extent that any of the stats have weight. Sometimes books with high stats are rejected; sometimes books with low stats are accepted. The KP editors pick the books they want, regardless of stats. They may consider the stats in a borderline case, but it's clear stats are not the key factor.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #21834 on: October 22, 2017, 07:29:52 AM »
Kim, anything in the top 10K is great, and its much harder to reach the top thousand. That's a fantastic debut for a newly published author.
Yes, this is an amazingly good result.

Honestly, this is why I'll be doing Kindle Scout again. It isn't the opportunity to publish with Kindle Press that is the biggest draw for me--though I'd certainly be happy if I was selected. It's the exposure that the KS process gives you, some of which you couldn't get on your own.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #21835 on: October 22, 2017, 07:34:15 AM »

Congratulations, and you're right about KS.

If I may offer a suggestion, start promos sooner rather than later. They will have much more impact with books that already have high visibility, such as new releases. That's how I made my KS reject stay sticky for  four or five months: I did a lot of promos during the first thirty days, and the book retained a good rank for a long time after that. The key to getting algorithmic love is to keep sales pumping in for a certain number of days.

Offline Tim McGregor

• Toronto
    • View Profile
    • Ink Spatter
« Reply #21836 on: October 22, 2017, 07:40:00 AM »
Hi Kboarders,

I'm trying the Scout program for the first time so forgive any newbie questions on my part. I did want to say thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. It's been really helpful navigating this so far.

Total newbie question; Are nominations for your work visible somewhere on the dashboard or is that hidden? It's only been 2 days and I don't expect any this early in the game, but I was just wondering if the nominations are visible the way the number of page views or hours in the H & T list are.

Thanks

Tim McGregor

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #21837 on: October 22, 2017, 07:42:07 AM »
Hey, Lincoln! Hows that coming along? I came across your blog post about promoting KS campaigns and found it incredibly helpful!

Glad you found it helpful!

I've got my book launch post I'm constantly updating in my signature, and it details out pretty much every step of my launch, including all of my daily launch promotions. Some are already going, and tomorrow is when things really kick off.

Tuesday is going to be a crazy day for me, but most of the major promotions kick in right around Halloween.

Offline sheritybemy

• View Profile
« Reply #21838 on: October 22, 2017, 07:52:01 AM »
Hi Kboarders,

I'm trying the Scout program for the first time so forgive any newbie questions on my part. I did want to say thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. It's been really helpful navigating this so far.

Total newbie question; Are nominations for your work visible somewhere on the dashboard or is that hidden? It's only been 2 days and I don't expect any this early in the game, but I was just wondering if the nominations are visible the way the number of page views or hours in the H & T list are.

Thanks
No nominations arent visible anywhere and you are never told the number of nominations you received for your book. All you can make are educated guesses based on the page views and the section at the bottom that shows pictures of covers your nominators are also nominating.

The good thing though is Hot & Trending is based both on number of nominations and saves.

Offline Kimjwest

• Atlanta, GA
  • Author of White Male
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21839 on: October 22, 2017, 07:58:42 AM »
Congratulations, and you're right about KS.

If I may offer a suggestion, start promos sooner rather than later. They will have much more impact with books that already have high visibility, such as new releases. That's how I made my KS reject stay sticky for  four or five months: I did a lot of promos during the first thirty days, and the book retained a good rank for a long time after that. The key to getting algorithmic love is to keep sales pumping in for a certain number of days.

Thanks for your encouragement everyone.
Thanks for the advice, Bill.  You've just clarified something I was wondering about; whether to promote before or after the cliff.  I will be setting up my options asap to see how they work out. Tks.
No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking ~ Voltaire

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #21840 on: October 22, 2017, 08:02:56 AM »

Awesome!  You are having a great launch!  If you want to do a bit of promotion that doesn't cost anything but time, there's a bunch of KU groups on Facebook you can join and then post about your KU book.  It might help you keep those awesome stats going for a while.

Offline Tim McGregor

• Toronto
    • View Profile
    • Ink Spatter
« Reply #21841 on: October 22, 2017, 08:03:11 AM »
No nominations arent visible anywhere and you are never told the number of nominations you received for your book. All you can make are educated guesses based on the page views and the section at the bottom that shows pictures of covers your nominators are also nominating.

The good thing though is Hot & Trending is based both on number of nominations and saves.
Thanks, Sherity! Much appreciated.
Tim

Tim McGregor

Offline lmsorrell

• Yorkshire, U.K.
    • View Profile
    • L.M. Sorrell
« Reply #21842 on: October 22, 2017, 08:23:19 AM »
There's my email! I knew it would get here eventually! Thanks to everyone who wished me luck and/or had their fingers crossed. I'm definitely not upset, as I never expected them to take a prequel anyway. I'm planning to launch Prelude ASPA and will let y'all know when it is free. I'll still be around though and plan to do another KS campaign early next year. Best of luck to those still campaigning and those in the dreaded waiting room!

Oh for goodness sake. No? Sorry ID :( I hope , in fact, I know you'll have a great launch with Prelude. Keep us posted!

Lx

Offline lmsorrell

• Yorkshire, U.K.
    • View Profile
    • L.M. Sorrell
« Reply #21843 on: October 22, 2017, 08:24:22 AM »

Wow, Kim! This is amazing! Congratulations :D

Lx

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #21844 on: October 22, 2017, 08:30:29 AM »
Had three open slots and nominated:

Girl Vs by Xela Culletto
The Fire Eye Refugee by Samuel Gately
George: The Long Road Ahead by Scarlet Le Clair

Good luck!

Mark

My novel A Friend Like Filby on Wattpad:  https://www.wattpad.com/story/109140386-a-friend-like-filby

Offline Marjorie Florestal

• California
    • View Profile
    • Thrillers With A Past
« Reply #21845 on: October 22, 2017, 09:04:11 AM »
Last day for Girls Vs, and I have it nominated. Also have The Fire Eye Refugee. Great covers, both. Good luck!

Marjorie Florestal | Blog

Offline Marjorie Florestal

• California
    • View Profile
    • Thrillers With A Past
« Reply #21846 on: October 22, 2017, 09:12:08 AM »
My campaign is live! :D For anyone who wants to view it, its Feathered: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2BAUYCFDBBI95 I hope you like it!

Love the cover and excerpt. Ive got this one saved for when a nomination slot opens. Good luck.

Marjorie Florestal | Blog

Online Alan Felyk

• Lakewood, Colorado
    • View Profile
    • Alan Felyk: Writer
« Reply #21847 on: October 22, 2017, 09:19:40 AM »

Whatever you're rubbing for good luck, keep rubbing it, Kim. OUTSTANDING results. I think the first few months after book launch are the most important to sustained success. Few of us have the budget or time to keep our books at the forefront for an extended period, but a good foothold early on helps.

Offline RachelWollaston

• UK
  • Living in a fanasy world
    • View Profile
    • Rachel's Website
« Reply #21848 on: October 22, 2017, 09:39:41 AM »
Love the cover and excerpt. I've got this one saved for when a nomination slot opens. Good luck.
Thank you very much!!

YA / Fantasy author
Rachel Wollaston | My Website | Nominate Feathered!

Offline AnthonyRobinson13

• View Profile
« Reply #21849 on: October 22, 2017, 10:07:31 AM »
Hello everyone!

I'm new here. Rachel Wollaston showed me to these forums and said you were friendly to book promotion for Kindle Scout. I just started my campaign for Cold Solar, a near-future sci-fi dystopian. If you would like to read something more on the dark and gritty side with swords and enemies-to-lovers romance then you'd enjoy my book. Please let me know what you think! And I'm open to constructive criticism so feel free to be honest. I want to get better. Nominations would be greatly appreciated!

Here is link: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/31YCRED0M6E0H

-Anthony C. Robinson

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac