Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.

Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1643934 times)  

Offline RachelWollaston

• UK
  • Living in a fantasy world
    • View Profile
    • Rachel's Website
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #22750 on: November 19, 2017, 04:53:11 AM »
Was just notified by Amazon Kindle Scout that Damaged Beyond All Recognition wasn't selected for a publishing contract. Not surprised--I knew I had a book that wouldn't be easy to sell to a traditional publisher.

To all of you who backed the book and provided moral support, my heartfelt gratitude.

Here are the final statistics for DBAR. The wait for the rejection notice was almost 2 days to the minute.

Im sorry to hear that, Alan. I hope you get some feedback for it. Best of luck with your launch!

Rachel Wollaston | YA/Fantasy author

YA / Fantasy author
Rachel Wollaston | My Website | Facebook Page

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #22751 on: November 19, 2017, 05:12:42 AM »
Was just notified by Amazon Kindle Scout that Damaged Beyond All Recognition wasn't selected for a publishing contract. Not surprised--I knew I had a book that wouldn't be easy to sell to a traditional publisher.

To all of you who backed the book and provided moral support, my heartfelt gratitude.

Here are the final statistics for DBAR. The wait for the rejection notice was almost 2 days to the minute.

Some really strong figures there at the beginning, but more so at the end for those last 7 days. With 9,000 page landings and 20% of those from outsiders, it shows your marketing worked at the beginning and the end. Hopefully, with those figures you'll get off to a good start when you publish. Good luck.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline 1984Phins

• View Profile
« Reply #22752 on: November 19, 2017, 05:14:34 AM »

Sorry to hear. Hopefully you get feedback soon. Also, fingers crossed those 9000 page views translates to lots of sales when you publish!

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #22753 on: November 19, 2017, 06:06:30 AM »

Particularly for someone who didn't do a huge amount of paid promotion, these are good stats. I don't know what the average is now, but 9K views is certainly substantially above the past norm. With a good new release promo strategy, you should have a strong launch.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22754 on: November 19, 2017, 06:13:08 AM »
Hi Steve, I don't know if its the magic of your list, but after being included I found myself on H&T for the first time since I reached a whole hour about four days ago. I was also impressed by how much time, for example, Alan, had spent on H&T. I'm more curious than anything and just wondering how on earth people manage to spend so much time on H&T? I am philosophical about it, as I am a first time author with only my FB friends as contacts, and am in the process of building up a following (on FB and Twitter), but I have been really pleased with 2.5K page views so far. Yet compared to others, this seems very modest. I am running a few campaigns, on Author Shout and Reaper, for example, and obviously, am asking everyone I can think of to take a look at my campaign page, but is there anything more i could do to be H&T? It's a great feeling to feel popular, after all!  :D :D :D
Considering that you're still building social media presence, your page views are good. Part of drawing traffic to Scout and getting on that Hot and Trending list just depends on how many contacts you can reach out to.

Otherwise, the trick is to start with a bang (easier when you have more contacts). Mobilizing the social media and newsletter base, if it can push a book into HT, is the first step. If the cover and the excerpt are strong enough, internal traffic will help keep the book there. Supplement with a few paid promotions in the dreaded middle. (I tried to do one every four or five days.) Once the book gets to the ending soon phase, it will probably take care of itself, especially if it's already HT going in. (Most books hit HT before the end, as the strategic nominators move in to give their votes.)

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #22755 on: November 19, 2017, 07:27:57 AM »

The group IS powerful, but even an author who ISN'T on the kboards list should expect to see a strong rally over the last couple of days with the Kindle Scout system. EVERY Scout book is listed over their last couple of days in the Kindle Scout ENDING SOON category. A lot of Kindle Scout readers watch that ENDING SOON and use it to improve their odds of winning free books.

It's not just us working that magic. The Kindle Scout gods are working on your entry's exposure time as well.
Got it but don't underestimate the impact your list has!

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline JulianneQJohnson

• Indianapolis
    • View Profile
    • Julianne Q Johnson- pictures and words
« Reply #22756 on: November 19, 2017, 07:36:34 AM »
Alan, sorry to hear the news, but those are some awesome stats!  That should make a huge difference when you launch.  Wishing you and the book tons of success.

Offline Marjorie Florestal

• California
    • View Profile
    • Thrillers With A Past
« Reply #22757 on: November 19, 2017, 09:17:07 AM »

I was sorry to get the notification, Alan. But with such a strong showing Im sure youll have a great launch.

Marjorie Florestal | Blog

Offline Marjorie Florestal

• California
    • View Profile
    • Thrillers With A Past
« Reply #22758 on: November 19, 2017, 09:22:07 AM »
It's Sunday. I've got today off and then tomorrow I go back to work.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! Vanished by Dan Petrosini
LAST DAY LEFT! Feathered by Rachel Wollaston
4 days left Gray's Ghosts by Carey Lewis
4 days left Haunted by the Devil by Bill Hiatt
4 days left Fluidus Rising by Margo Ryerkerk
5 days left Barrier Rip by Brian Delaney
7 days left Crucible Station by Julianne Q. Johnson
7 days left The Gate Run by Elina Vale
11 days left Folklore by Mitch Sebourn
12 days left Forged by Fire by Michael Arches
18 days left VayneLine - Fate Reset by E.A. Szabelski
18 days left Mass Primary by Robin Praytor
20 days left The Poison People by Alex Makepeace
25 days left The Man Who Loves Watches by Alexander Winzer
25 days left Magna Finesse by T.A. Clark
25 days left Spur by Sophia Jane Farrier

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

GRAB THIS BOOK WHILE IT IS FREE!

Ive got Vanished, Feathered and Haunted nominated (what imagery!) Good luck, all.

Marjorie Florestal | Blog

Online Kimjwest

• Atlanta, GA
  • Author of White Male
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22759 on: November 19, 2017, 12:30:31 PM »
Kim, I love your attitude about this whole crazy publishing business. My most successful series by far has mediocre reviews, but most people still buy it like crazy or download on KU. That tells me something about the books works, but danged if I know what. I did try to read some of the early reviews to figure out why readers like the series, without success. Now, I don't even glance at the reviews. I just keep writing the best books I can. Best of continued luck in a fabulous launch.

It's great to hear I'm not the only one with lousy reviews!  I'm no longer reading them... For my sanity.
No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking ~ Voltaire

Online Kimjwest

• Atlanta, GA
  • Author of White Male
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22760 on: November 19, 2017, 12:36:36 PM »

I go the notice...  You ran a great campaign and I wish you all the best with selfpub.
Cheers
Kim
No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking ~ Voltaire

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #22761 on: November 19, 2017, 02:40:58 PM »
I see they've picked a 2nd in series book A Force of Nature, by Kiara Liane

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Online KitSarge

• View Profile
« Reply #22762 on: November 19, 2017, 03:18:12 PM »
I see they've picked a 2nd in series book A Force of Nature, by Kiara Liane

Indeed. Very interesting!

Online KitSarge

• View Profile
« Reply #22763 on: November 19, 2017, 03:25:41 PM »
I think that one ended on Thursday too (11/16), so that was a quick turnaround! Good for her and glad to see more books getting picked- seemed like kind of a dry spell there for a while.

Offline SJFarrier

• Maryland
  • https://sophiajanefarrier.blogspot.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #22764 on: November 19, 2017, 06:21:17 PM »

Alan - I wish you luck! I imagine you'll be able to turn a lot of those views into sales when your book is released.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #22765 on: November 19, 2017, 06:57:06 PM »
I think that one ended on Thursday too (11/16), so that was a quick turnaround! Good for her and glad to see more books getting picked- seemed like kind of a dry spell there for a while.

Yeah, good for her, and great they are on the move again picking books. Not one I'd sampled. Interesting the language used in the opening now I've looked at it. I thought they'd shy away from gritty language and therefore censored my language in the one I put in a past campaign. Lesson learned, because I have a WIP that uses choice language that I wouldn't have put in a campaign. Now I might give it a shot when it's finished.

It also shows that they don't pay attention to how your other books have performed when I took a look at the first in the series. I thought they would and that would be a disadvantage unless they had a high rank. Great to know they look at how a book stands on it's own merit and not how your back catalogue has performed. That was something I worried about with my own campaign and I wondered at the time if it figured in their choices.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 07:09:20 PM by Decon »

Declan Conner | blog

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #22766 on: November 20, 2017, 01:06:21 AM »
It's Monday. I've got errands to run.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

3 days left Gray's Ghosts by Carey Lewis
3 days left Haunted by the Devil by Bill Hiatt
3 days left Fluidus Rising by Margo Ryerkerk
4 days left Barrier Rip by Brian Delaney
6 days left Crucible Station by Julianne Q. Johnson
6 days left The Gate Run by Elina Vale
10 days left Folklore by Mitch Sebourn
11 days left Forged by Fire by Michael Arches
17 days left VayneLine - Fate Reset by E.A. Szabelski
17 days left Mass Primary by Robin Praytor
19 days left The Poison People by Alex Makepeace
20 days left Cemetery Babies by S.H. Love
24 days left The Man Who Loves Watches by Alexander Winzer
24 days left Magna Finesse by T.A. Clark
24 days left Spur by Sophia Jane Farrier

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: By the way, are there any of you folks out there who listen to Audible audiobooks? PM me, if you do.

Offline RachelWollaston

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Rachel's Website
« Reply #22767 on: November 20, 2017, 02:40:16 AM »
Well, my campaign for Feathered concluded this morning with 551 H&T hours and 7.4K page views.
Thank you all for your supportonce again, this forum has proved itself an absolute godsend.
So now I transition into phase 2 of the processreligiously refreshing my emails until something comes through!!
Good luck to the rest of you with campaigns still running! Im not going anywhere, so I will be sure to keep offering my nominations :)

YA / Fantasy author

Offline Alliescribbler

• View Profile
« Reply #22768 on: November 20, 2017, 03:44:18 AM »
Well, my campaign for Feathered concluded this morning with 551 H&T hours and 7.4K page views.
Thank you all for your supportonce again, this forum has proved itself an absolute godsend.
So now I transition into phase 2 of the processreligiously refreshing my emails until something comes through!!
Good luck to the rest of you with campaigns still running! Im not going anywhere, so I will be sure to keep offering my nominations :)

Those are great figures, Rachel, well done. Come and join us in the waiting room.

Writer of English literary fiction.
Allie Cresswell | Facebook | Website | Amazon

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #22769 on: November 20, 2017, 04:23:00 AM »
Good Morning,
The campaign for Vanished ended and final stats were - 345 H&T 5.4 K views. I am thankful for the support of this group. Seeing that a 2nd in series that was just chosen raised my hopes as the first in my series, Am I the Killer? ranks well after more than 2 years. How knows? Thanks again, Dan

Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline RachelWollaston

• UK
    • View Profile
    • Rachel's Website
« Reply #22770 on: November 20, 2017, 05:51:19 AM »
Good Morning,
The campaign for Vanished ended and final stats were - 345 H&T 5.4 K views. I am thankful for the support of this group. Seeing that a 2nd in series that was just chosen raised my hopes as the first in my series, Am I the Killer? ranks well after more than 2 years. How knows? Thanks again, Dan
I think youre in with a really good chance, Dan. I love your cover and premise and I saw that your other books have been pretty successful!

YA / Fantasy author

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22771 on: November 20, 2017, 07:09:06 AM »
It also shows that they don't pay attention to how your other books have performed when I took a look at the first in the series. I thought they would and that would be a disadvantage unless they had a high rank. Great to know they look at how a book stands on it's own merit and not how your back catalogue has performed. That was something I worried about with my own campaign and I wondered at the time if it figured in their choices.
This is timely news for since I'm getting close to the end of the first draft for book 2 in a relatively new series. The first book actually did perform well, at least initially, but getting them to pick up a 2nd book when they didn't have the first one seemed like a long-shot. I think maybe I'll give it a try in Scout now. (Of course, they actually rejected the first one, but I revised afterwards, and it did well enough that, if they had picked it, I would have earned out the advance in three months. :P In that kind of scenario, if they did look at past history, it might actually cut in my favor. Nonetheless, I agree with your point that it's better in most cases if they don't.)

I notice the first book in Kara Liane's series, though it isn't particularly high ranking now, does have good reviews. Perhaps they looked at that. There's really no way to know.

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #22772 on: November 20, 2017, 08:47:36 AM »
Wow, all three books on top of Steve's list are urban fantasies, and they all look great. Click, click, click. Good luck to all.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #22773 on: November 20, 2017, 09:54:49 AM »
Wow, all three books on top of Steve's list are urban fantasies, and they all look great. Click, click, click. Good luck to all.
It's too bad KS doesn't pick up urban fantasies more often. Maybe we can start a new trend!

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #22774 on: November 20, 2017, 02:00:35 PM »
I think youre in with a really good chance, Dan. I love your cover and premise and I saw that your other books have been pretty successful!

Thanks Rachel,  Let's see how long it will be for both of us!

Dan Petrosini | blog