Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1723227 times)  

Offline srobards

• View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #23225 on: December 16, 2017, 01:53:33 PM »
To those believing that KS is now a popularity contest...I don't think so. While I don't work for the mighty Zon, I do know they utilize algos and metrics in ways unmatched in the private sector. Possibly better than the public sector!

While that wording is awkward and gives a very wrong impression, which they should revisit, what I think is left out of that is the secret sauce. Naturally, they can't mention the secret sauce, but they could do better.

The verbiage could be altered to be...insufficient customer engagement. That is, I think, a far appropriate and probably accurate description.

They know exactly what every single scouter does on a page. They know how long they looked, how far down the read, if they gave up on the sample halfway through, if they clicked nomination without finishing the sample, if they gave feedback when the popup shows up. They know everything.

If a thousand people click to your page, and you get 100 nominations, you have a 10% success rate. But wait...did you get 15 of those nominations without scrolling with sufficient slowness down the sample? Hmm. Did 500 of those who clicked not even bother to expand the sample and not nominate?

As scouters here, we show support to each other, but I'm not sure that support is useful when it's an auto-click. Read each one all the way through, give feedback, LOOK like you actually want to read the book.

So, while we can't know for sure what's in the secret sauce, we know they love algos. It's easy to set up a customer behavior algo that tests engagement. I wouldn't take the popularity contest idea literally. If it were, then those with the most time on hot and trending would get it every time. They don't. Not even close. Look instead at the concept of engagement and work from there.

I think what Ann said is logical.

I don't understand the logic that a read of a paragraph or two and a simple click on the nomination button counts for anything.

How on earth could you determine the book is any good? It's not a published book, and I think it is easier to craft a good opening paragraph then sustain that for thousands of words. 4000 - 5000 words takes more than a couple of minutes to read and the overall voice and quality of the piece can be garnered a little better.

If you currently become a scout you will get a ranking just under or around 500 for voting on a book or two. Therefore, it is hard to imagine that there are 1000s of scouts, though it is possible some only vote here and there. For anyone throwing their book in the system without seeking out too much outside of the system, I can't see how you could possibly get thousands of page views, unless those page views are based on more than 1 for reading that excerpt. Having a programming and website building past, I imagine that page views outside of scouts are also made up with from people who simply browse the site and books also, but never join in and nominate.

It is very possible that what Amazon are calling pageviews is made up of more than just a single page if those who claim to have not reached out to social networks have thousands of views. It is also very possible some scouts nominate then remove their nomination when they prefer more.

Another interesting thing is that the hot list is not only made of the top books with the most nominations but also books that are saved for later consideration.

Amazon state under While your campaign is live: "Hot & Trending is based on nominations and saves by Kindle Scout readers. We update the list hourly."

By that statement we could assume pageviews are likely irrelevant, we can also assume that spending hours on that hot list which is contributed to many page saves for later nonimations, may not actually turn into nominations at the end of the day, if those scouts change their minds.

One fellow has apparently gained a contract with only 297 page views, doesn't mention the Hot list, and had few friends if any to reach out to.

I and another friend have put our books out there with very limited social network interaction simply to see what happens and compare. My book was going out there February/March anyway as agents wouldn't touch it as it was a sequel to a prelude which didn't sell well. So I can't imagine Amazon touching it either.

I have a few errors in mine due to last minute updates before I submitted and failing a very important last minute spell check which would have easily picked up what my eyes didn't. So silly me.

After 16 days I have not surprisingly only 682 page views most in the first four days - 51 from outside with a makeup of 92% scouts

After about 13 days my friend has just under me in page views, spent around 45 hours on the hot list with a make of 63% scouts

Clearly it does not necessarily take much to get on that hot list at least some days, some times, some hours, and clearly by some who have been told they did not have enough nominations, the data provided by being on the Hot list doesn't necessarily equate to guaranteed nominations nor I gather, quality nominations determined by some formula by Amazon, add that to any issues an excerpt might have, even if it subjective -

I imagine many scouts will put a book on their list, but as they all roll off, they will only be able to pick three out of god knows how many on any one day. I know there are 11 - 13  submitted under the Literary and Fiction Category the day I listed and a couple of other books here, then there will be the ones that are listed under the other few categories and those scouts 500 plus? will only be able to pick three.

that sauce Ann is talking about for publication through them - I don't believe is thousands of nominations, or even necessarily being at the higher end of nominations, though that may equate to not being given a review and makes sense that it would.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:04:41 PM by srobards »

Sharon Robards | Goodreads

Offline srobards

• View Profile
« Reply #23226 on: December 16, 2017, 01:58:27 PM »
It's Saturday.

I've got a shift at work to head to, and I need to go and clean the snow off of the sidewalk first.

So, bearing in mind that this is going to be a hasty entry, let me say a couple of things about one of the things that people "know" about Kindle Scout.

First off - "Kindle Scout is a popularity contest!"

Well, they have never made any bones about how nominations and Hot and Trending weighs in their decision-making. That is why I would ALWAYS recommend that anyone entering a book into Kindle Scout needs to be prepared to do a bit of campaigning. I do not recommend throwing good money at it - although some folks do. However, whenever I see someone start out their campaign by announcing that they aren't going to do ANYTHING to promote their Kindle Scout offering, I wonder if they are going to achieve success.

Lincoln Cole went to a great deal of effort a while ago to keep a running list of how much H&T each of our kboards candidates had. Some of the winners spent a LOT of time in the H&T list. Some of them spent hardly any time at all in H&T.

(H&T = Hot and Trending)

So, I would say that it ISN'T always a "popularity contest". Sometimes your book just doesn't make the cut.

Remember, Kindle Scout and Kindle Press is just an odd variety of a publishing company. I've been dealing with with publishers for several decades and I can tell you that sometimes no matter how good your book is, it doesn't make the cut. Same thing with Kindle Scout. Maybe you have JUST written the very best hardboiled detective novel and Kindle Press just released three other hardboiled detective novels. Well, odds are that your wonderful book is going to get passed over. There can be all kinds of reasons for a book not making the cut.

When a book doesn't make the cut - with any sort of a publisher - it always hurts. You always instinctively want to say "That sucks!". You always instinctively want to blame the publisher for just being short-sighted.

Don't do that.

The thing to remember is that Kindle Scout is the best free pre-release mechanism on the market today. You get thirty days to promote your book. Even if it doesn't make the cut, if you can get your book out right away that is a pool of possible readers. So that, more than anything, is why I recommend that folks need to do what they can to promote their Kindle Scout campaign.

Everybody has a whole lot of reasons for feeling the way that they feel about anything - but heck, Kindle Scout "is reader-powered publishing for new, never-before-published books. It's a place where readers help decide if a book gets published."

They say it pretty plainly. They don't try to hide any of the facts.

Ditto!

Sharon Robards | Goodreads

Offline TheJackDublin

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23227 on: December 17, 2017, 01:49:27 AM »
I'm stuck in limbo. My Scout page still says my book is in review, and it's been almost a week since they shot it down. I emailed them yesterday, but no response yet. Meanwhile, I put Forged by Fire up yesterday for $.99. My plan is to keep the launch low key, with little promotion until the second book comes out on 1/12/18.
The low key part is working, too well. It's currently at over four million in the rankings! Here the link:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07875BTT9
All in all, I'm not too worried about the low ranking so far. The real test will come when I start a free run for book 1 on Jan. 12th in support of book 2.
Thanks for the link - just picked it up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jack Dublin

@TheJackDublin Instagram, Twitter and FB

Offline TheJackDublin

• Pacific Northwest
    • View Profile
« Reply #23228 on: December 17, 2017, 02:05:38 AM »
The Lost and Found Journal of a Miner 49er, Vol. 1 (my short story collection for middle-grade readers) launched this week at $2.99, which hasnt been ideal, but I cant go free until January 11 (30 days before any promos). 

That said, I found a way around that with the Amazon Giveaway.  Right now, for the first 50 of you to visit the link below, you can own it on my dime.  I know many of you nominated me back in August and this is my way of saying THANK YOU and have a Merry Christmas!

https://giveaway.amazon.com/p/db898544970fda1c

PS-if you feel inclined, leave a review saying which of the 17 short stories was your favorite!  You all know how much it helps, but Id also like to use that feedback for future marketing efforts.  Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jack Dublin

@TheJackDublin Instagram, Twitter and FB

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #23229 on: December 17, 2017, 05:40:36 AM »
It is Sunday. Later today my wife and I are going out to a big family Christmas bash. I've been going to this bash for an awful lot of years. For the first few years I always looked forward to a fine feed of rabbit pie. Then, the then-husband of my wife's sister decided that he couldn't eat that "poor little rabbit". He felt very strongly about that and made his feelings known in a loud enough fashion until someone finally relented and made a separate chicken pie for him to indulge in.

Then, as people tend to do, others decided to climb onto the bandwagon and make their displeasure known. After a year or two the bash went totally rabbit-free. My wife's father, who hunted all of his life, really misses the rabbit, as do I. This year my wife decided that because they had already announced that this was going to be a potluck event, purchased a few rabbits and is making a gigantic rabbit pie - which, in my opinion, is totally rock-the-boat brilliant!

There is also enough rabbit leftover to ensure that we get our own rabbit pie for Christmas dinner.

Poor little yummy rabbit...

My wife's brother always brings along some moose and venison tasties that he serves with chow, so this old meat-loving carnivore is going to have himself a heck of a feed.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

4 days left Shadowed by Death by M.A. Adler
6 days left Winter City Wolf Moon by Elvis English
6 days left Want What You Have by Rishabh Jhol
8 days left to CHRISTMAS!!!
11 days left Lost In Atlantis by Briton Heitt
11 days left Hotel Murder by Luke Christodoulou
11 days left Burnt by the Flame by Sharon Robards
12 days left Soul Catchers by Carrie Pulkinen
12 days left The Unborn Hero of Dragon Village
13 days left Hold it Write There by S.A. Krishnan
19 days left Chinawoman's Chance by James Musgrave
20 days left Jericho Jaxon: Alien Hunter by Karen M. Bryson

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #23230 on: December 17, 2017, 08:23:01 AM »
It is Sunday. Later today my wife and I are going out to a big family Christmas bash. I've been going to this bash for an awful lot of years. For the first few years I always looked forward to a fine feed of rabbit pie. Then, the then-husband of my wife's sister decided that he couldn't eat that "poor little rabbit". He felt very strongly about that and made his feelings known in a loud enough fashion until someone finally relented and made a separate chicken pie for him to indulge in.

Then, as people tend to do, others decided to climb onto the bandwagon and make their displeasure known. After a year or two the bash went totally rabbit-free. My wife's father, who hunted all of his life, really misses the rabbit, as do I. This year my wife decided that because they had already announced that this was going to be a potluck event, purchased a few rabbits and is making a gigantic rabbit pie - which, in my opinion, is totally rock-the-boat brilliant!

There is also enough rabbit leftover to ensure that we get our own rabbit pie for Christmas dinner.

My wife's brother always brings along some moose and venison tasties that he serves with chow, so this old meat-loving carnivore is going to have himself a heck of a feed.

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

4 days left Shadowed by Death by M.A. Adler
6 days left Winter City Wolf Moon by Elvis English
6 days left Want What You Have by Rishabh Jhol
8 days left to CHRISTMAS!!!
11 days left Lost In Atlantis by Briton Heitt
11 days left Hotel Murder by Luke Christodoulou
11 days left Burnt by the Flame by Sharon Robards
12 days left Soul Catchers by Carrie Pulkinen
12 days left The Unborn Hero of Dragon Village
13 days left Hold it Write There by S.A. Krishnan
19 days left Chinawoman's Chance by James Musgrave
20 days left Jericho Jaxon: Alien Hunter by Karen M. Bryson

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

Congratulations! In one shocking admission of truth you've managed to torpedo your publishing career. You can kill as many people as you like, but don't kill the rabbit. Merry Christmas

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #23231 on: December 17, 2017, 08:57:32 AM »
Congratulations! In one shocking admission of truth you've managed to torpedo your publishing career. You can kill as many people as you like, but don't kill the rabbit. Merry Christmas

Bring me my hasenpfeffer...

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #23232 on: December 17, 2017, 09:18:27 AM »

True story.

My dad bred wild gray rabbits for the butchers as a pastime, but he decided to stop doing so. We were down to one very large rabbit one Christmas ( Named as a pet of us young ones at the time) My brother came home on leave from the army where he was training as a chef and announced turkey was off the menu.

Never knew rabbits could make a noise when he chopped its kneck karate style and it ran around the kitchen before dropping dead. Long and short is that Christmas day, all us kids went vegitarian, when none of of could face eating it and tears flowed.

Never had rabbit since. It's skin made a nice muffler for my sister though once mom had cured it with salt. Happy days.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Matthew Speak

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • MatthewSpeak.com
« Reply #23233 on: December 17, 2017, 10:01:31 AM »
As it's been a year since I was accepted under the Scout program to be published by Kindle Press, I thought I'd come back with some thoughts.

First, I would say that it's been a mixed bag. The first few months were quite nice, sales-wise. Then KP started adjusting the price (I fluctuated between $.99 and $3.99, sometimes without warning) - and my sales and reads plummeted. I certainly don't feel as though I was given any kind of preferential marketing treatment, because of being in the Scout program. In fact, when I was on promo, it was thrown in with several hundred other books on promo and I was found on the 10th+ page.

So, overall, it has been more disappointing than anything.

The advance was nice, the editing was okay (though I felt as though they wanted to cut out large portions of my book that would have adversely affected the voice/tone of the storyline - I rejected those changes), their communication is fair.

At this point, I'm waiting until I can ask for my rights back and, in the meantime, I'm going about my merry way and working on other projects. I won't be submitting to KP or the Scout program again.

I wasn't expecting to be a best seller under this program, but I was expecting to see the "Featured Amazon marketing" that was promised and I don't feel like that happened.

To be 100% fair, some Scout authors have had GREAT success and I think that's wonderful.

My experience has been very much the same. March will be my one year anniversary of being published by Kindle Press and I will write more about my experience at that time. But in short, my first few months were great and the advance was fantastic, but then I felt like KP just let my book drop off the face of the earth with sales cutting in half each month starting in June. Last week, I received my first promo since spring and it was pretty ho-hum, with no evidence of Amazon marketing doing much of anything for my book.

I'm not sure why some books get the love from KP while others don't, but it's true there are some books who are always on page one of any promo while others are buried fifty pages back every time. Having a romance title with a highly professional cover (i.e. do not make it yourself!!!!) and a central figure prominant seems to be KP's sweet spot.

I also think the lack of in depth editing really hurts things in the long run. One editing pass is not enough to catch all the typos, let alone to fix plot holes, pacing, character development, etc.

Overall, I'm happy with the experience, only because it was my first published novel and I learned a lot. However, in general, I have very mixed feelings about it.

Devils Glen, a Kindle Scout selection, is now available on Amazon!

Online KarenMBryson

• Florence, AZ
  • Award-winning romantic mystery and suspense writer
    • View Profile
    • Romantic mystery and suspense writer
« Reply #23234 on: December 17, 2017, 10:04:53 AM »
Would one of the more experienced Scouters on the list be willing to share with me how I should be judging the success of my campaign so far?
I'm on Day 10 of my campaign and I have no idea if my novel is doing well or not.
So far, I've had 4436 page views and 205 hours in Hot & Trending.
Is there a way to assess if this above or below the average?
I'm wondering if I should invest in Facebook advertising. Has anyone tried this for their KindleScout campaign? If so, did you find it useful?
Thank you so much for your feedback. I appreciate it!
Add a little mystery to your life!
Karen M. Bryson
Award-winning romantic mystery and suspense writer

Offline A.G.B

• Oxford
    • View Profile
    • A.G.Barnett.com
« Reply #23235 on: December 17, 2017, 10:34:13 AM »
My experience has been very much the same. March will be my one year anniversary of being published by Kindle Press and I will write more about my experience at that time. But in short, my first few months were great and the advance was fantastic, but then I felt like KP just let my book drop off the face of the earth with sales cutting in half each month starting in June. Last week, I received my first promo since spring and it was pretty ho-hum, with no evidence of Amazon marketing doing much of anything for my book.

I'm not sure why some books get the love from KP while others don't, but it's true there are some books who are always on page one of any promo while others are buried fifty pages back every time. Having a romance title with a highly professional cover (i.e. do not make it yourself!!!!) and a central figure prominant seems to be KP's sweet spot.

I also think the lack of in depth editing really hurts things in the long run. One editing pass is not enough to catch all the typos, let alone to fix plot holes, pacing, character development, etc.

Overall, I'm happy with the experience, only because it was my first published novel and I learned a lot. However, in general, I have very mixed feelings about it.

I'm sorry to hear it hasn't worked out for you, but can I ask a quick question?

Did you get a sequel out?

I think what you've seen is very much a reflection of the book market in general. You release a book and it does well for a whie, but it will always drop unless there's subsequent releases to keep it afloat and relevant.

Offline Credella

• View Profile
« Reply #23236 on: December 17, 2017, 12:13:04 PM »
Hi, I submitted my historical mystery ms, Trouble in Tampa, to Kindle Scout. It's up now. It's been an educational experience so far. My book was on the hot and trending list for five days and then fell off when it didn't get quite enough votes. What I've learned is that once a book goes off "hot and trending," none of the traffic to the site who aren't close friends looks at it. They only look at "hot and trending." So I'm thrilled to have been "hot and trending" even for a few days. Were I to do it again, I'd try to stay "hot and trending for a lot longer." Once you're off that list it's very hard to get back on. So good luck everybody who's going to give this a try. Here's the link in case you feel like rescuing me from the not hot and trending list. I'd sure be grateful.  (https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/3R2L2N5Y0W2H6) Best, Louise
I moved to Florida knowing only that it was warm in winter. I started to read the state's history. Wow! 19th Century Florida was a very wild place. Just finished Trouble in Tampa, my latest historical mystery set in 1885 and currently up on Kindle Scout.
I've written books in many genres/Currently writing Historical Mysteries
Louise Titchener | Facebook | Amazon | Kindle Scout

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #23237 on: December 17, 2017, 12:48:59 PM »
Would one of the more experienced Scouters on the list be willing to share with me how I should be judging the success of my campaign so far?
I'm on Day 10 of my campaign and I have no idea if my novel is doing well or not.
I'm wondering if I should invest in Facebook advertising. Has anyone tried this for their KindleScout campaign? If so, did you find it useful?
Those sound like very good stats to me. I'm not sure where the average is any more--it's been going up--but you're doing well by any reasonable standard.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #23238 on: December 17, 2017, 12:52:30 PM »
I'm sorry to hear it hasn't worked out for you, but can I ask a quick question?

Did you get a sequel out?

I think what you've seen is very much a reflection of the book market in general. You release a book and it does well for a whie, but it will always drop unless there's subsequent releases to keep it afloat and relevant.
While it would be nice if Kindle Press kept promoting the books, which I think most people who get selected probably expect, but it's true that few things improve the visibility of a book that's been out for some months more than a sequel. My Scout reject kept going well for about five months, but I was working on another project and didn't get that sequel out, so the book slid out of sight. It's still my first or second biggest seller every month, but it's selling at about a tenth the rate it used to.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #23239 on: December 17, 2017, 01:00:53 PM »

You're doing great, but as many have said in the past, the stats aren't that important. My take is that it probably helps a bit to show some H&T and several thousand page views, but what you're really getting is a look from probably one editor. They either love it or they don't. If they do, maybe someone else has to love it, too, who knows? My overall stats were about 250 hours H&T and 7.1K page views.

The bottom line is they take very few books, and the benefits of being accepted aren't that terrific. So most people fail to get published, and those who do "win" often seem to be disappointed with the results. In other words, no worries about failing.

I think the best way to look at the Scout program is as a way to learn more about self-pub and get your book much more free exposure than it otherwise would receive in the Kindle system. I'm glad I participated, and I hope to do so again at some point. Best of luck to everyone.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 01:03:23 PM by Arches »

Offline A.G.B

• Oxford
    • View Profile
    • A.G.Barnett.com
« Reply #23240 on: December 17, 2017, 01:16:55 PM »
While it would be nice if Kindle Press kept promoting the books, which I think most people who get selected probably expect, but it's true that few things improve the visibility of a book that's been out for some months more than a sequel. My Scout reject kept going well for about five months, but I was working on another project and didn't get that sequel out, so the book slid out of sight. It's still my first or second biggest seller every month, but it's selling at about a tenth the rate it used to.

I will be an interesting case study if I win (obviously incredibly unlikely!), As I will have the second ready to go and a this within a month or so.

I think this could make all the difference

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
« Reply #23241 on: December 17, 2017, 01:35:59 PM »
I will be an interesting case study if I win (obviously incredibly unlikely!), As I will have the second ready to go and a this within a month or so.

I think this could make all the difference
Even if you aren't selected, you'll be in a perfect position to release the second book at the right time when you self-publish.

Online ronesa_aveela

• United States
    • View Profile
    • Ronesa Aveela
« Reply #23242 on: December 17, 2017, 02:13:18 PM »

Facebook advertising has helped put my book in the H&T list.  But, the ad has to be targeted toward the right audience, and it has to be something people will click on. But it does get your book in front of a lot more people. Facebook has had the biggest impact on my campaign. Twitter... zip.

Offline Dan Petrosini author

• View Profile
    • Dan's website
« Reply #23243 on: December 17, 2017, 05:08:27 PM »
Hi All,
Discouraging to hear that KS will not even read a book if it does not accumulate a high number of noms.  Though there are many books that garner organic nominations it still weighs the process toward those who run hard campaigns.   That may be Amazon's point but the art of writing suffers. Be well, Dan

My work in progress: 40%
Dan Petrosini | blog

Offline A.G.B

• Oxford
    • View Profile
    • A.G.Barnett.com
« Reply #23244 on: December 18, 2017, 12:30:29 AM »
Even if you aren't selected, you'll be in a perfect position to release the second book at the right time when you self-publish.

That's the plan!

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #23245 on: December 18, 2017, 01:57:31 AM »
It is Monday. I've got an evening shift ahead of me and I aim to take care of my last bit of Christmas shopping a little later this morning.

I had rabbit pie and deer balls for our big feed yesterday with English trifle for desert!

Updated List

3 days left Shadowed by Death by M.A. Adler
5 days left Winter City Wolf Moon by Elvis English
5 days left Want What You Have by Rishabh Jhol
7 days left to CHRISTMAS!!!
10 days left Lost In Atlantis by Briton Heitt
10 days left Hotel Murder by Luke Christodoulou
10 days left Burnt by the Flame by Sharon Robards
11 days left Soul Catchers by Carrie Pulkinen
11 days left The Unborn Hero of Dragon Village
12 days left Hold it Write There by S.A. Krishnan
18 days left Chinawoman's Chance by James Musgrave
19 days left Jericho Jaxon: Alien Hunter by Karen M. Bryson
25 days left Midnight Talk by Brigitta Moon
27 days left The Commander's Daughter by Colin Moerdyke

Happy scouting, folks!

Online KarenMBryson

• Florence, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23246 on: December 18, 2017, 04:05:37 AM »
Those sound like very good stats to me. I'm not sure where the average is any more--it's been going up--but you're doing well by any reasonable standard.

Thank you so much for replying. I appreciate it! I have no idea how to judge how the campaign is going and if I should be doing more to improve my visibility.
Karen M. Bryson

Offline Alliescribbler

• View Profile
« Reply #23247 on: December 18, 2017, 04:13:05 AM »
It has been so interesting reading all of your comments about how/if KS works.
I am one of the people who was kept waiting for two weeks before being told my book hadn't garnered enough nominations, which, after that long wait, was a kick in the teeth.
It is encouraging to know that there have been some folks who have been 'successful' but not found the experience very beneficial. It annoys me, though, that KP aren't treating their 'successful' authors with more consideration, having the courage of their initial conviction by really getting behind their book. That must be really disappointing for those writers.
I find it really incredible that the editorial team at KS are not more considered in their assessment of the books in the program. It's a golden opportunity for them to winkle out the really good books and talented authors which, in my view, they seem to squander.
I will just say this. My book Tall Chimneys was launched on 12th December. On 13th December I set it to 'free' and informed those who had nominated me that it was available. Within six or seven hours my downloads shot up to almost 3000. OK, these were all free so I made no money, and I know from past experience that lots of people love a bargain and get free books for their kindles without getting round to reading them. But if some of those 3000 read and like the book, I have five others out there that they can buy and they might leave me some nice reviews. So, for this alone, I think, at this stage, it was worth entering the program.
But it isn't what the program is for, is it? So, for finding, nurturing and promoting talented writers and their books, I'd say that KS isn't fit for purpose.

Writer of English literary fiction.
Allie Cresswell | Facebook | Website | Amazon

Online KarenMBryson

• Florence, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23248 on: December 18, 2017, 04:17:24 AM »
You're doing great, but as many have said in the past, the stats aren't that important. My take is that it probably helps a bit to show some H&T and several thousand page views, but what you're really getting is a look from probably one editor. They either love it or they don't. If they do, maybe someone else has to love it, too, who knows? My overall stats were about 250 hours H&T and 7.1K page views.

The bottom line is they take very few books, and the benefits of being accepted aren't that terrific. So most people fail to get published, and those who do "win" often seem to be disappointed with the results. In other words, no worries about failing.

I think the best way to look at the Scout program is as a way to learn more about self-pub and get your book much more free exposure than it otherwise would receive in the Kindle system. I'm glad I participated, and I hope to do so again at some point. Best of luck to everyone.

Thank you so much for sharing your overall stats with me. That's extremely helpful! I have to admit that I'm "in it to win it." But even if I don't, I've got everything ready to hit the submit button and self publish the moment I hear the news. (And I'll already have a built in audience who are excited about the novel.) I don't see a scenario in which I won't benefit as an author either way.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:25:22 AM by KarenMBryson »
Karen M. Bryson

Online KarenMBryson

• Florence, AZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #23249 on: December 18, 2017, 04:21:25 AM »
Facebook advertising has helped put my book in the H&T list.  But, the ad has to be targeted toward the right audience, and it has to be something people will click on. But it does get your book in front of a lot more people. Facebook has had the biggest impact on my campaign. Twitter... zip.

Thank you so much for sharing this tip. It's extremely helpful. I've had some good results with FB ads in the past, so I may try one for the last 10 days of my campaign. I've never had much luck with Twitter, so I don't think I'd attempt that.  :)
Karen M. Bryson