Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1982003 times)  

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #24050 on: January 29, 2018, 07:32:12 AM »
I can also highly recommend Ripley's Booklist (which, by the way, takes NA as well as YA books) and Lincoln Cole's promotions. Like Readper, both are inexpensive and effective. They help you maximize the exposure that is the chief benefit of a Kindle Scout campaign.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24051 on: January 29, 2018, 08:34:37 AM »
I can also highly recommend Ripley's Booklist (which, by the way, takes NA as well as YA books) and Lincoln Cole's promotions. Like Readper, both are inexpensive and effective. They help you maximize the exposure that is the chief benefit of a Kindle Scout campaign.

I'm glad you ocassionally mention Ripley's. I hadn't planned to use them, but I added them after all. I used them once, for Beyond the Forest, and I didn't get stellar results, but I don't recall what price I was at during the promo. I don't market any of my books as NA, but the main character in the first series is in her early twenties, so it fits. And in the new series, I don't discuss age, but one of the main characters has a toddler, so early twenties. The thing I like about the Ripley's feature is they allowed me to add three other links, so I added a link for each of the books in the first series. I'm looking forward to seeing how the ad looks.

Offline ReaderPaul

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24052 on: January 29, 2018, 08:50:04 AM »
Glad you've found the experience enjoyable with the engagement you want. Neat that you found both the local and international engagement with it simultaneously.

I will say that fb ads can be targeted rather well if one chooses the parameters. With fb having o er 2 billion users worldwide, one ad set I'm trying now has a targeted population of around 100,000, that's 1 in 20,000 or so of their total users. You can even micro-scale geographically if of benefit, though I think by interest works better. If nothing else, has given me targeting insights online for later on. Of course, any expenditure depends on how it fits into one's overall goals.

Good luck on the final days in the "Ending Soon" category. "The Ancient Tripod of Peace" joins that at the end of the week as well.

Thank you. And best wishes to you also.

On a side note, I've heard not so encouraging things about Facebook having farmed out pages for likes. In other words, many likes but not much follow through.

I am sure it works though. All It takes is the right person to see it.
Never rush, savour, enjoy and if you get the chance. Read it again.

Online Lexi Revellian

• London
    • View Profile
    • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
« Reply #24053 on: January 29, 2018, 11:05:51 AM »
Hi all. It's been a long time since I was here. My book got selected for Kindle Press two years ago. I'm going to set up a campaign for a second book as soon as I finish a final proofread on the manuscript.

In the meantime, and I apologize if this has been mentioned ad nausea (I have not read this thread in a long time), but I can't emphasis this enough--your time on Hot and Trending is a small criteria for consideration in getting selected. I would never recommend authors pay for advertising to help get your book on H&T. Save your money. Good book, good cover, good blurb--all of that is in your control.

Best of luck and I have nom'd the earliest books on the list.

Agreed, Kimberley - I'd just add that proofreading is important, too. I read so many extracts with wrong/missing punctuation, spelling mistakes, and poor grammar. 100% hours in H & T won't make up for this.

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #24054 on: January 29, 2018, 12:46:05 PM »
I'm glad you ocassionally mention Ripley's. I hadn't planned to use them, but I added them after all. I used them once, for Beyond the Forest, and I didn't get stellar results, but I don't recall what price I was at during the promo. I don't market any of my books as NA, but the main character in the first series is in her early twenties, so it fits. And in the new series, I don't discuss age, but one of the main characters has a toddler, so early twenties. The thing I like about the Ripley's feature is they allowed me to add three other links, so I added a link for each of the books in the first series. I'm looking forward to seeing how the ad looks.
I sometimes haven't gotten stellar results from the regular promos, either. I do get stellar results from using the special feature for Scout. If you use the Scout promo and then advertise the book once it's live, that can produce stellar results. Her readers remember the Scout books, I think, and at least some of them are willing to support the books they voted for.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline georgiana89

• London
    • View Profile
    • My website and blog
« Reply #24055 on: January 29, 2018, 01:20:31 PM »
Kboarder/Kindle Scout expert Lincoln Cole has a newsletter going out on the 3rd. My book is in it, and at least one other book that isn't a Scout submission. His packages are inexpensive. Maybe if you contact him right away he can add your book. That's your last day, right?
https://www.lincolncole.net/services/kindle-scout-book-promotion

Thanks for the suggestion - hope the promo goes well for you. And thanks too to others for their thoughts. This site really has been a lifesaver through this whole process.

On balance, I think I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the boost from Ripleys, combined with a bit of a personal social media push, can sustain me until the final few days effect (hopefully) kicks in. That said, if my daily stats look poor tomorrow, I may panic and reconsider...  ;)

I know stats don't matter that much in the scheme of things, but the whole way the sight is set up makes it very, very difficult to keep that in mind! Also, I'm keen to do well enough that if I'm not selected I hopefully a)get feedback and b)am able to use the exposure to help with KDP sales.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24056 on: January 29, 2018, 01:26:16 PM »
I sometimes haven't gotten stellar results from the regular promos, either. I do get stellar results from using the special feature for Scout. If you use the Scout promo and then advertise the book once it's live, that can produce stellar results. Her readers remember the Scout books, I think, and at least some of them are willing to support the books they voted for.

I hope so. It makes sense. This time, if my book is not selected (and I have no expectations it will be) I plan to press the publish button fairly quickly. Last time, I think it took me about a month to get everything ready. Wards and Wonders has already been professionally formatted by Kindle Scout alumni, Mark Gardner, and is ready to go. Normally, I'd publish the paperback well in advance, and I send out my handful of ARCs about six weeks prior to publication. The bad thing about Kindle Scout is it messes up this system. I can't publish the paperback ahead, and there's no point sending out review copies until I'm sure of the outcome. Oh well, I'm still a newbie, and each book launch is an educational adventure.     

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24057 on: January 29, 2018, 01:40:43 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion - hope the promo goes well for you. And thanks too to others for their thoughts. This site really has been a lifesaver through this whole process.

On balance, I think I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that the boost from Ripleys, combined with a bit of a personal social media push, can sustain me until the final few days effect (hopefully) kicks in. That said, if my daily stats look poor tomorrow, I may panic and reconsider...  ;)

I know stats don't matter that much in the scheme of things, but the whole way the sight is set up makes it very, very difficult to keep that in mind! Also, I'm keen to do well enough that if I'm not selected I hopefully a)get feedback and b)am able to use the exposure to help with KDP sales.

I think you can probably coast through to the end and do perfectly fine. The only reason I mentioned Lincoln's promo is that it's inexpensive, and you might land more nominations that convert to sales. I used to be dead set against paid promotions since it's apparent that stats alone won't get anyone a contract. After hearing many people say it helped their launch, I decided it wasn't a bad idea after all. I spent hours a day on self-promotion last time. Ugh. I would rather pay a professional promo service and hope to attract readers in my genre.

Best of luck! I'll be nominating you once you get down to the last day or two.

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #24058 on: January 29, 2018, 02:50:55 PM »
Hi all. It's been a long time since I was here. My book got selected for Kindle Press two years ago. I'm going to set up a campaign for a second book as soon as I finish a final proofread on the manuscript.

In the meantime, and I apologize if this has been mentioned ad nausea (I have not read this thread in a long time), but I can't emphasis this enough--your time on Hot and Trending is a small criteria for consideration in getting selected. I would never recommend authors pay for advertising to help get your book on H&T. Save your money. Good book, good cover, good blurb--all of that is in your control.

Agreed, Kimberley - I'd just add that proofreading is important, too. I read so many extracts with wrong/missing punctuation, spelling mistakes, and poor grammar. 100% hours in H & T won't make up for this.

I 100% agree with Kimberley and Lexi. I did no paid advertising on my first selected book and limited social media campaigning (because really, anyone within my social media reach who was going to nominate it did so the first time I posted it.) For the second, I paid for a listing in Jaxon Reed's Readper.com news letter ($5 at the time) and did almost no social media advertising.

Pay for promo if you want, but don't feel it's necessary. Copy editing, proofreading, and a decent cover are far more important.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 02:54:10 PM by Patricia KC »

Online KGGiarratano

• View Profile
    • Kimberly G. Giarratano
« Reply #24059 on: January 29, 2018, 03:56:43 PM »

Proofreading! I spoke to an editor from KP and suggested they hire proofreaders for their winners. We all know it's impossible to find errors in our own work and since they do an edit, it only makes sense to hire a proofreader.

But yes, authors should proofread their excerpt before it goes live.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 03:58:48 PM by KGGiarratano »

Kimberly G. Giarratano | website | facebook | newsletter | twitter

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24060 on: January 30, 2018, 01:40:20 AM »
It is Tuesday and it has been snowing most of the night and looks as if it might be snowing all day long here in Halifax.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

2 days left Acts of God and Other Damage by Missy Wilkinson
2 days left Secret of the Lost Key by Paul Kilmartin
3 days left Angels In The Basement by Kristi Lane
3 days left The Human Dilemma by Rupert Exavier Moore
4 days left The Ancient Tripod of Peace by Kalen Cap
4 days left My Love Is Vengeance by Georgiana Derwent
12 days left Justified Sins by Brian Drae
12 days left Imperfect Li(v)es by SA Krishnan
17 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
18 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black
23 days left Wards and Wonders by Kay L. Ling
23 days left Ghostly Intentions by Jill James
23 days left The Haunting of Kaleb Bell by W. & W. Sawday
23 days left hypnoSnatch by Trisha Mcnary
24 days left The Lunar Deception by T.E. Olivant
26 days left The Last Hunter by Lee Hayton
27 days left Don't Ask, Don't Tell by Monte Dutton

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #24061 on: January 30, 2018, 07:25:46 AM »
Kboarder/Kindle Scout expert Lincoln Cole has a newsletter going out on the 3rd. My book is in it, and at least one other book that isn't a Scout submission. His packages are inexpensive. Maybe if you contact him right away he can add your book. That's your last day, right?
https://www.lincolncole.net/services/kindle-scout-book-promotion

Thanks for the shout out! I don't send daily emails like many companies so I don't end up bombarding readers, and in general people get 100-500 clicks for their campaign from my newsletter. I basically just do it to justify all of the work I do on my website, lol. There is also a mini game that pops up on the page that gives 10-20% discounts (I added it for the heck of it through sumo because I could!).

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24062 on: January 30, 2018, 07:35:12 AM »
Noting that this is the first day "The Ancient Tripod of Peace" reached 25% for external link traffic. Have no idea if it can sustain that through the "Ending Soon" time period starting in a couple days, but glad it got there considering it was half that after the view-heavy early days of the campaign.

Hopefully, some of the lessons learned here regarding importance of conversion rate compared to view volume will translate to better promotion choices for visisbility of the title however it is published.

Offline ReaderPaul

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24063 on: January 30, 2018, 07:39:47 AM »
Thanks for the shout out! I don't send daily emails like many companies so I don't end up bombarding readers, and in general people get 100-500 clicks for their campaign from my newsletter. I basically just do it to justify all of the work I do on my website, lol. There is also a mini game that pops up on the page that gives 10-20% discounts (I added it for the heck of it through sumo because I could!).

I think I will definitely avail of your newsletter, when next I enter into the Kindle Scout.

Do you see a correlation in successful applicants to Kindle Scout? Like as in can you tell via your newsletter which books are seeing the most engagement.

Well done on running such a fantastic newsletter. Your name has constantly popped up from people who seem to be doing really well on the Hot and Trending list.

I fancied my chances using mostly a local network for my first effort but seeing the immense benefits of services like your own.
Never rush, savour, enjoy and if you get the chance. Read it again.

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #24064 on: January 30, 2018, 07:50:11 AM »
I think I will definitely avail of your newsletter, when next I enter into the Kindle Scout.

Do you see a correlation in successful applicants to Kindle Scout? Like as in can you tell via your newsletter which books are seeing the most engagement.

Well done on running such a fantastic newsletter. Your name has constantly popped up from people who seem to be doing really well on the Hot and Trending list.

I fancied my chances using mostly a local network for my first effort but seeing the immense benefits of services like your own.

I can definitely tell which books get the most clicks through my newsletter (though, I don't really keep lists or build stats or anything) and since my newsletter is cross genre it comes down mostly to quality of the cover and title of a book for what people click on. As for nominations, those require the whole 'package' to be good. In general, anyone who I promote to my newsletter gets on hot and trending, and then with some social media support they can stay there for a while.

In general, I saw a lot of services with 10,000 email lists that charge $100 plus and I wanted to offer a cheap way for new authors to hit a large list (I charge way less for 50% more readers than many services) plus a way for authors who appreciate my blog posts and the information I offer to be able to support me while getting something in return!

Offline WandWSawday

• View Profile
« Reply #24065 on: January 30, 2018, 07:59:30 AM »
Dang...the cliff after you fall off "recently added" is real  :o lol

Offline WandWSawday

• View Profile
« Reply #24066 on: January 30, 2018, 08:19:55 AM »
Yup, and even though it's clear why the fall happens, one can't help but wonder, "Is something wrong with my campaign if people stopped looking at it?" Now, you can either start promoting or start dreaming about the "ending soon" list.  :D

Haha it's like you're reading my mind!

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #24067 on: January 30, 2018, 08:31:50 AM »
I hope so. It makes sense. This time, if my book is not selected (and I have no expectations it will be) I plan to press the publish button fairly quickly. Last time, I think it took me about a month to get everything ready. Wards and Wonders has already been professionally formatted by Kindle Scout alumni, Mark Gardner, and is ready to go. Normally, I'd publish the paperback well in advance, and I send out my handful of ARCs about six weeks prior to publication. The bad thing about Kindle Scout is it messes up this system. I can't publish the paperback ahead, and there's no point sending out review copies until I'm sure of the outcome. Oh well, I'm still a newbie, and each book launch is an educational adventure.   

That strikes me as a good plan . If I do another Scout campaign, I plan to do something very similar. Good luck on your current campaign.

Offline Jill James

• Biggest Little City in the World
    • View Profile
    • Jill James, romance writer
« Reply #24068 on: January 30, 2018, 08:57:56 AM »
Happy Camper this morning!  ;D I hit Hot and Trending and 1k page views. Great way to start the day. Off to write!!
Ghostly Deceptions: 8%

Ghostly Perceptions: 1%
A Little Sweet. A Little Sexy. A Lot Happily-Ever-After.
Jill James | blog | website | Facebook | Twitter | newsletter

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24069 on: January 30, 2018, 09:07:14 AM »
Dang...the cliff after you fall off "recently added" is real  :o lol

True, but can still get on hot and trending list with better conversions among smaller number of views. For "The Ancient Tripod of Peace" on day 1, it had 749 views and 0 hours in H&T. On day 17, it had 171 views, but all 24 hours in H&T. Also, had a day with only 66 views, but still some H&T time.  Granted, I had another 0 H&T day with 191 views, so there is some combined effect likely.

The cliff off of high page views may not hurt how well the novel is trending, depending on other factors. Also, even with a great number campaign, doesn't ensure selection, so depending on your goals, you may still be right where you need to be. As mentioned repeatedly by others, most important factor is quality of submission itself and fit with kindle scout publishing for selection, it seems.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:15:41 AM by kalencap »

Offline WandWSawday

• View Profile
« Reply #24070 on: January 30, 2018, 10:38:12 AM »
True, but can still get on hot and trending list with better conversions among smaller number of views. For "The Ancient Tripod of Peace" on day 1, it had 749 views and 0 hours in H&T. On day 17, it had 171 views, but all 24 hours in H&T. Also, had a day with only 66 views, but still some H&T time.  Granted, I had another 0 H&T day with 191 views, so there is some combined effect likely.

The cliff off of high page views may not hurt how well the novel is trending, depending on other factors. Also, even with a great number campaign, doesn't ensure selection, so depending on your goals, you may still be right where you need to be. As mentioned repeatedly by others, most important factor is quality of submission itself and fit with kindle scout publishing for selection, it seems.

Thanks for providing some of your stats--that's really helpful to see. And yeah I'm trying not to sweat the numbers. I think I was just more surprised...I think it shows that there are quite a few (but not like, thousands) of readers who are aware of Scout and use it on a fairly regular basis, who will check out the new arrivals. But once you've gone through those readers, you really need to do some sort of outreach if you want any shot at getting substantial numbers of new views (and possible nominations) between the time you fall off "recently added" and arrive at "ending soon." 

Which makes sense. I just find the whole process kind of interesting--not just from the author's perspective, but from the readers' and Amazon's perspective as well. I'm curious to see how things shake out. Thanks again for sharing your stats and experience, it's really helpful.

Offline WandWSawday

• View Profile
« Reply #24071 on: January 30, 2018, 10:41:20 AM »
Happy Camper this morning!  ;D I hit Hot and Trending and 1k page views. Great way to start the day. Off to write!!

Nice! Congrats on the h&t! hope that's useful fuel for your writing

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24072 on: January 30, 2018, 11:29:06 AM »
Thursday I'll hit the one week mark, and I'll share some stats in case anyone wants to compare notes. I went over the cliff today, too, and quite honestly I've never had the really big numbers, like 500 page views a day, that others have reported. Even so, I'm wracking up some hours in Hot and Trending. So, as others have observed, there must be a greater correlation between nominations and saves than there is with page views. 

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24073 on: January 30, 2018, 11:51:19 AM »
Thursday I'll hit the one week mark, and I'll share some stats in case anyone wants to compare notes. I went over the cliff today, too, and quite honestly I've never had the really big numbers, like 500 page views a day, that others have reported. Even so, I'm wracking up some hours in Hot and Trending. So, as others have observed, there must be a greater correlation between nominations and saves than there is with page views. 

From what I've heard, the end of the school vacationing weekend for January 5 - 7 provided high views in general. Haven't seen anyone reporting numbers that high since with maybe one exception.

Offline Jill James

• Biggest Little City in the World
    • View Profile
    • Jill James, romance writer
« Reply #24074 on: January 30, 2018, 12:29:37 PM »
Nice! Congrats on the h&t! hope that's useful fuel for your writing

Thanks. I hit up my mailing lists. So I think the romance reader list got me on H&T, but the zombie lovers that went out today had more clicks. Tomorrow will be the audiobook listeners, so we will see if they like paranormal if it is just an ebook.
Ghostly Deceptions: 8%

Ghostly Perceptions: 1%
A Little Sweet. A Little Sexy. A Lot Happily-Ever-After.
Jill James | blog | website | Facebook | Twitter | newsletter