Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2066638 times)  

Online MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #24175 on: February 04, 2018, 01:21:47 AM »
Hello everybody!

Just popping in to say that Crucible Station is free today on Kindle if anyone wants to grab a copy.  www.amazon.com/dp/B079CTK8ZP

I've done a lot of thinking since I received the feedback on Crucible Station, and I've come to the conclusion that my writing style is not a good fit for KS.  I write first person and super close third, and while KS may select books of that nature, I think I'd have to completely change my style to have a shot.  Due to the hyper focused POV, my bad guys will never be as fleshed out as books in other POV's.

While I did make some adjustments to Crucible based on editorial feedback, I made choices that better fit the ideas I have for a sequel.  I didn't go nearly as far as the KS editor suggested.  Honestly, those changes bore a striking resemblance to Hunger Games, and I was trying very hard NOT to write Hunger Games.  Comments I've gotten so far from Crucible readers have been very positive.  I've had several comment that they stayed up too late reading because they couldn't stop turning pages.  In my opinion, that's the best thing a writer can hear!

I don't think I'll be doing another KS campaign, though I still stop in to nominate from time to time.  I was using KS mostly to get readers, since I was just starting out last year, and I'm at the point now that if I spend the same money on release (not very much, by the way! LOL) that I did on a KS campaign, I get more attention from readers than with the KS campaign.  My newsletter subscribers list is also growing, which helps with releases.

As of this second, 1,722 folks have grabbed a free copy of Crucible Station, and ranking on Kindle's free list is higher than I've ever gotten for a free release.   Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #79 Free in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Free in Kindle Store)
    #2 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Dystopian
    #2 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Post-Apocalyptic

Not bad!  I'm hoping to hit #1 by the end of the day, at least in Dystopian.  Fingers crossed!
For those who've joined the group recently, I always have a few days free at release, both to reward my newsletter folks and to get a bunch of copies out there and get some reviews.  That's worked well for me, but it certainly isn't the only way to go about it.

Hope you all are doing well, top three nominated, and fingers crossed for those in the waiting room!

Congrats Julianne on building your audience to the point where you don't need KindleScout to launch. (Personally I agree that efforts toward the campaign would be better directed toward a launch for most more established authors.) Given you've reached that level, I think you should give a paid launch a try sometime soon. Now that you have an audience, you might be leaving a lot of money on the table :)

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline ReaderPaul

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24176 on: February 04, 2018, 01:44:20 AM »
A few weeks ago one of the moderators dropped me a message, complimenting me on how long I have kept my Kindle Scout list running here at kboards.

So I just scrolled back to have a look-see.

I have been keeping this daily list since October 21, 2015. That's way back on page 32 of the thread, back when I had taken my first stab at Kindle Scout with my toilet bowl time travel novel, A BLURT IN TIME.

Wow.

That's a long time.

It's still fun for me, so I don't intend to stop - but it is always interesting and cool to stop and reflect just how long you have been doing ANYTHING!
:)

Thanks for all that you do Steve. It shows for a love of books, writing and people that you can maintain this so consistently.

Thank you.
Never rush, savour, enjoy and if you get the chance. Read it again.

Offline georgiana89

• London
    • View Profile
    • My website and blog
« Reply #24177 on: February 04, 2018, 02:57:11 AM »
So, that's my campaign over. Now it's time to wait and see what the editors think of My Love is Vengeance. Thanks again to everyone who nominated my novel, answered my questions, or just provided support and encouragement. And especially to Steve for the amazing efforts with the daily list.

There's one more thing I'd like views/advice on. I've just received the email saying the campaign has closed and my book is in review. And it reminded me of what my email to those who nominated the book is going to say.

I remember reading on here that if you email KS, they'll happily change and update the content of the message. If I'm not selected, I'm definitely self-publishing rapidly afterwards, so I want to make sure the message is as useful as possible, though it's a bit tricky when you don't know whether the book has been selected or not. What do people think about it as it stand? Anything you'd add, lose or change? While I want to make the most of it, I think it might be asking people to do too many things. And I remember someone saying they promised all nominators a free copy of the book whether it was selected or not. How is that done, and do people think it's a good idea?

Thank you so much for the nomination. Whether you're someone who came across the book by chance or someone I already know, I'm super grateful. If you enjoyed the book, there are a few things you could do to help me out and to make sure you know when it's published:
1)Sign up for my mailing list here: http://eepurl.com/2dnCT 2)Add My Love is Vengeance to your "To be read" list on  Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/38344576-my-love-is-vengeance 3)Check out my previous series, The Cavaliers, here: Georgiana-Derwent/e/B00A1PW962 4)Follow my blog here - https://georgianaderwent.com/the-blog/  Or just say hello on Twitter (https://twitter.com/GianaDerwent). Love Georgiana"

Offline Variath

• Ernakulam, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #24178 on: February 04, 2018, 04:44:38 AM »
Dear all,

I am looking for a marketing tip to promote my book. After KS campaign, published my book "The Peacewoods" through KDP in December 2017 and until now I have got a sale of 5 downloads only even after I placed 5 days free.
Anyone can give a guidance to market my book.

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24179 on: February 04, 2018, 04:48:21 AM »
Some final stats on the kindle scout run for "The Ancient Tripod of Peace." Thanks again to everyone who supported the campaign and I look forward to actively following the progress of those currently on awesome Steve's list the rest of this winter.

Holding steady at 27%, reached the milestone of 2000 page views from the external links for a total of 7600 page views for the campaign. At 539, was one hour shy of 75% of the time in Hot & Trending for the 720 hour length of the campaign.

Of course, other factors largely determine Kindle Press selection, so will see how things play out. Want to encourage those in the murky middle third of their campaigns to continue trudging through because I'm well aware that the internal preview views were based on this amazon venue. There's no other opportunity I know of to have a free preview with amazon behind it with such a limited number of other active titles around (around a rolling group of 200 or so) for potential lengthy attention of online readers (especially without ads to other books on the same screen).

Best wishes to everyone.

Stats pic is available at - http://kalencap.com/2018/02/kindle-scout-campaign-stats/
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 04:50:20 AM by kalencap »

Offline Patricia KC

• View Profile
« Reply #24180 on: February 04, 2018, 05:13:48 AM »
A few weeks ago one of the moderators dropped me a message, complimenting me on how long I have kept my Kindle Scout list running here at kboards.

So I just scrolled back to have a look-see.

I have been keeping this daily list since October 21, 2015. That's way back on page 32 of the thread, back when I had taken my first stab at Kindle Scout with my toilet bowl time travel novel, A BLURT IN TIME.

Wow.

That's a long time.

It's still fun for me, so I don't intend to stop - but it is always interesting and cool to stop and reflect just how long you have been doing ANYTHING!
:)

Wonderful! Thanks for all you do. You deserve an entire bag of Oreos!

Offline SueSeabury

• View Profile
    • Amazon Author Page
« Reply #24181 on: February 04, 2018, 05:16:02 AM »
How do you keep traffic flowing for a whole month? I've been tweeting & FBing & asking my friends, put a notice on readper but 30 days is a long time! Curious how others have done it. Thanks.
Sue Seabury | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #24182 on: February 04, 2018, 05:43:04 AM »
Holding steady at 27%, reached the milestone of 2000 page views from the external links for a total of 7600 page views for the campaign. At 539, was one hour shy of 75% of the time in Hot & Trending for the 720 hour length of the campaign.

Is there any consensus on how much extra weight is put on external traffic (if any)?

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24183 on: February 04, 2018, 06:45:39 AM »
As of this mornings stats I made it to 55% internal, 45% external, but that percentage isnt likely to last. Ultimately, the ratio is of little consequence.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24184 on: February 04, 2018, 07:02:36 AM »
It is Sunday and I've got the day off and I intend to do some writing.

But first, let's talk about Kindle Scout. A lot of people ask me - IS KINDLE SCOUT WORTH IT?

Well, mileage can vary, like they say in the commercials.

My book, KELPIE DREAMS, won Kindle Scout back in May 2016. I got a big fat $1500 US advance, which translated to about $2000.00 up here in Canada. That's a lot of money for this old boy. I paid some bills and even a few frills for my wife. As a direct result my local publisher matched that Kindle Scout advance on my latest regional book.

So that's definitely worth it.

The only problem is I haven't managed to sell off that advance yet. I have sold about a 1000 copies of KELPIE DREAMS and am still about $275.00 worth of sales away from turning this into a paying proposition.

So - Kindle Scout sucks, right?

Wrong.

I suck. Not in an oh-heck-I-might-as-well-jump-off-an-asteroid sort of suck. No, no I am talking about a whole different level of suckitude. I have had a rough couple of years losing family and dealing with other personal crisis and my fighting instincts have been dulled down a bit. So I suck. Some of you folk will want to tell me not be so hard on myself, but I don't blame myself for this level of suckitude that I have unexpectedly acquired. I own it, I accept it and I am taking steps to rise above it. Sitting around and grumbling about the ineptitude of the folks at Kindle Scout would not serve me one little bit - so I will take on that suckitude and conquer it.

Kindle Scout works for some folks.

Let's take Tom Swyers for example. His book, THE KILDEER CONNECTION, was released in August of 2017 and has sold over 5000 freaking copies.

Is KILDEER a BETTER book than KELPIE?  Heck no, but what is true is that Tom Swyers has promoted his release in a heck of a lot more ways than I had ever thought of. Better than that, his KILDEER is #2 in a series, so a significant portion of those 5000 readers who bought a copy of KILDEER have read it and enjoyed it and have gone on to buy a copy of Tom's first book, SAVING BABE RUTH.

Tom Swyers took what Kindle Scout gave him and made it work.

So - is Kindle Scout worth it?

You bet your sweet patootie it is worth it - but you ought to give some serious thought about what comes next. Be ready for that next move. Have your paperback version ready to hit print in a week or two after the e-book release. Have your promotional material all ready to roll. Have your guest blogs pre-written. Have your Twitter feed all HootSuited up - (or whatever freaking gadget/app/thing-a-ma-bob that you use). Get busy thinking about the next book and your next campaign.

Be ready to work at it.

As for me, I know what I need to do. I am working on that new local book for my traditional publisher. I aim to have it submitted in the next couple of weeks. I have a deadline and I am cooking.

Then I need to get busy working on my next book. I need to get back on my writing machine and start boogying. Enough of wallowing in my own personal funk.

I am NEVER going to blame the folks at Kindle Scout for my own personal suckitude. The fact is, I have worked with at least TWO of the suckiest small press publishers on the planet, over my forty years of pounding keyboards into money and BOTH of those sucky small press so-called-publishers have gone the way of the do-do, meaning that they are done-done!

So I am NOT even going to mention their names, because they are dead and gone - but the point is - I HAVE SEEN THE BEAST OF SUCKITUDE - and Kindle Scout (or Kindle Press) does NOT look a ding-dong-thing like either of them.

So YES - Kindle Scout can work, just so long as you are ready to work too. Be prepared to promote your release and be prepared to follow up your new release with a brand-freaking-new release and don't just sit there in the funk of your office chair moaning and wondering when Kindle Scout is going to send you some brand new money.

Speaking of money - I still owe about $275.00 on my KELPIE DREAMS advance.

The good news is that KELPIE DREAMS is currently on sale from this Sunday to next Sunday (February 4 to February 11) for 99 cents.

SO - if I can only manage to sell 300 copies of KELPIE DREAMS over the next week I will burn that last bit of advance down to the ground and my book will become a paying proposition!

So please, if you can find the time, pick up a copy of my book for 99 measly cents. If you already have bought a copy, thank you very much, and could you PLEASE shout it out somewhere. On Facebook, on Twitter, even write it on the walls of your washroom at work.

As for me, I'm going to keep on writing.

I am getting down off of the soapbox now.

End of sermon.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

7 days left Justified Sins by Brian Drae
7 days left Imperfect Li(v)es by SA Krishnan
11 days left Coyote Ate the Stars by E.A. Van Stralen
12 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
13 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black
18 days left Wards and Wonders by Kay L. Ling
18 days left Ghostly Intentions by Jill James
18 days left The Haunting of Kaleb Bell by W. & W. Sawday
18 days left hypnoSnatch by Trisha Mcnary
19 days left The Lunar Deception by T.E. Olivant
21 days left The Last Hunter by Lee Hayton
22 days left Don't Ask, Don't Tell by Monte Dutton
25 days left Kingshold by D.P. Woolliscroft
25 days left Ghost and Found by Kimberly G. Giarratano
25 days left Forever Young by Sue Seabury
25 days left A Woman of the Road by Amy Wolf
26 days later The Lost Tomb of Cleopatra by J.T. Osbourne
28 days later The Space in You by K.D. Lovgren

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24185 on: February 04, 2018, 07:12:24 AM »
Dear all,

I am looking for a marketing tip to promote my book. After KS campaign, published my book "The Peacewoods" through KDP in December 2017 and until now I have got a sale of 5 downloads only even after I placed 5 days free.

I suggest Amazon Marketing Services ad campaigns (on your bookshelf under Promote & Advertise). I've been using it and selling at least a few of my first book every week (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PESZ74M). It's under a different name, and I don't promote it much, but it's been a great learning experience. As with KS, you should read some blogs about it first. Good luck :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:38:54 AM by TrishaMcNary »

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24186 on: February 04, 2018, 07:29:20 AM »
The good news is that KELPIE DREAMS is currently on sale from this Sunday to next Sunday (February 4 to February 11) for 99 cents.

SO - if I can only manage to sell 300 copies of KELPIE DREAMS over the next week I will burn that last bit of advance down to the ground and my book will become a paying proposition!

I just downloaded it on Kindle Unlimited, and l look forward to reading it. :)
Thanks for your story - we're all only human after all.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:39:36 AM by TrishaMcNary »

Offline Arches

• Denver
    • View Profile
    • Michael Arches
« Reply #24187 on: February 04, 2018, 08:11:27 AM »
It is Sunday and I've got the day off and I intend to do some writing.

But first, let's talk about Kindle Scout. A lot of people ask me - IS KINDLE SCOUT WORTH IT?

Well, mileage can vary, like they say in the commercials.

My book, KELPIE DREAMS, won Kindle Scout back in May 2016. I got a big fat $1500 US advance, which translated to about $2000.00 up here in Canada. That's a lot of money for this old boy. I paid some bills and even a few frills for my wife. As a direct result my local publisher matched that Kindle Scout advance on my latest regional book.

So that's definitely worth it.

The only problem is I haven't managed to sell off that advance yet. I have sold about a 1000 copies of KELPIE DREAMS and am still about $275.00 worth of sales away from turning this into a paying proposition.

So - Kindle Scout sucks, right?

Wrong.

I suck. Not in an oh-heck-I-might-as-well-jump-off-an-asteroid sort of suck. No, no I am talking about a whole different level of suckitude. I have had a rough couple of years losing family and dealing with other personal crisis and my fighting instincts have been dulled down a bit. So I suck. Some of you folk will want to tell me not be so hard on myself, but I don't blame myself for this level of suckitude that I have unexpectedly acquired. I own it, I accept it and I am taking steps to rise above it. Sitting around and grumbling about the ineptitude of the folks at Kindle Scout would not serve me one little bit - so I will take on that suckitude and conquer it.

Kindle Scout works for some folks.

Let's take Tom Swyers for example. His book, THE KILDEER CONNECTION, was released in August of 2017 and has sold over 5000 freaking copies.

Is KILDEER a BETTER book than KELPIE?  Heck no, but what is true is that Tom Swyers has promoted his release in a heck of a lot more ways than I had ever thought of. Better than that, his KILDEER is #2 in a series, so a significant portion of those 5000 readers who bought a copy of KILDEER have read it and enjoyed it and have gone on to buy a copy of Tom's first book, SAVING BABE RUTH.

Tom Swyers took what Kindle Scout gave him and made it work.

So - is Kindle Scout worth it?

You bet your sweet patootie it is worth it - but you ought to give some serious thought about what comes next. Be ready for that next move. Have your paperback version ready to hit print in a week or two after the e-book release. Have your promotional material all ready to roll. Have your guest blogs pre-written. Have your Twitter feed all HootSuited up - (or whatever freaking gadget/app/thing-a-ma-bob that you use). Get busy thinking about the next book and your next campaign.

Be ready to work at it.

As for me, I know what I need to do. I am working on that new local book for my traditional publisher. I aim to have it submitted in the next couple of weeks. I have a deadline and I am cooking.

Then I need to get busy working on my next book. I need to get back on my writing machine and start boogying. Enough of wallowing in my own personal funk.

I am NEVER going to blame the folks at Kindle Scout for my own personal suckitude. The fact is, I have worked with at least TWO of the suckiest small press publishers on the planet, over my forty years of pounding keyboards into money and BOTH of those sucky small press so-called-publishers have gone the way of the do-do, meaning that they are done-done!

So I am NOT even going to mention their names, because they are dead and gone - but the point is - I HAVE SEEN THE BEAST OF SUCKITUDE - and Kindle Scout (or Kindle Press) does NOT look a ding-dong-thing like either of them.

So YES - Kindle Scout can work, just so long as you are ready to work too. Be prepared to promote your release and be prepared to follow up your new release with a brand-freaking-new release and don't just sit there in the funk of your office chair moaning and wondering when Kindle Scout is going to send you some brand new money.

Speaking of money - I still owe about $275.00 on my KELPIE DREAMS advance.

So please, if you can find the time, pick up a copy of my book for 99 measly cents. If you already have bought a copy, thank you very much, and could you PLEASE shout it out somewhere. On Facebook, on Twitter, even write it on the walls of your washroom at work.

As for me, I'm going to keep on writing.

I am getting down off of the soapbox now.

End of sermon.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

7 days left Justified Sins by Brian Drae
7 days left Imperfect Li(v)es by SA Krishnan
11 days left Coyote Ate the Stars by E.A. Van Stralen
12 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
13 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black
18 days left Wards and Wonders by Kay L. Ling
18 days left Ghostly Intentions by Jill James
18 days left The Haunting of Kaleb Bell by W. & W. Sawday
18 days left hypnoSnatch by Trisha Mcnary
19 days left The Lunar Deception by T.E. Olivant
21 days left The Last Hunter by Lee Hayton
22 days left Don't Ask, Don't Tell by Monte Dutton
25 days left Kingshold by D.P. Woolliscroft
25 days left Ghost and Found by Kimberly G. Giarratano
25 days left Forever Young by Sue Seabury
25 days left A Woman of the Road by Amy Wolf
26 days later The Lost Tomb of Cleopatra by J.T. Osbourne
28 days later The Space in You by K.D. Lovgren

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Great post, Steve.

Is Scout worth it? It's what you make of it. You could just as easily ask is Kboards worth it? There's a ton of bilge pumped out every day at Writer's Cafe, but every so often, actually quite often, somebody writes a terrific comment that get's me thinking about the publishing world in a different way. You just did today. Thanks.

Offline Variath

• Ernakulam, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #24188 on: February 04, 2018, 08:38:56 AM »
I suggest Amazon Marketing Services ad campaigns (on your bookshelf under Promote & Advertise). I've been using it and selling at least a few of my first book every week (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PESZ74M). It's under a different name, and I don't promote it much, but it's been a great learning experience. As with KS, you should read some blogs about it first. Good luck :)

Thank you Trisha, I will check

Offline jaxonreed

• View Profile
    • jaxonreed.com
« Reply #24189 on: February 04, 2018, 09:03:09 AM »
Thanks! I read a blog post by you not too long ago which led me to the Empathic Detective, which I bought. It looks excellent and is now on my TBR list.
Thanks! Hope you enjoy it.

Jaxon Reed | jaxonreed.com | readper.com

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24190 on: February 04, 2018, 09:37:13 AM »

I just downloaded it on Kindle Unlimited, and l look forward to reading it. :)
Thanks for your story - we're all only human after all.

Well that's one.

Only 299 more to go.
 8)

Offline Variath

• Ernakulam, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #24191 on: February 04, 2018, 09:45:54 AM »
Two slots empty an nominated:
 Justified Sins
Imperfect Li(v)es
Best of luck - Brian and Krishna

Offline Kimjwest

• Atlanta, GA
  • Author of White Male
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24192 on: February 04, 2018, 10:02:12 AM »

Well that's one.

Only 299 more to go.
 8)

I bought it last year but haven't had a chance to read it yet!  :-X
Tatterdemon was really good though!
Anyway, good luck with your new projects.
Best,
Kim
No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking ~ Voltaire

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24193 on: February 04, 2018, 10:08:48 AM »
I bought it last year but haven't had a chance to read it yet!  :-X
Tatterdemon was really good though!
Anyway, good luck with your new projects.
Best,
Kim

Y'know, truth to tell, I prefer TATTERDEMON to most anything else I have written. :)

Offline Iolanthe

• View Profile
    • K.D. Lovgren Author Website
« Reply #24194 on: February 04, 2018, 10:15:37 AM »
I bought a copy of KELPIE DREAMS, too. Good luck earning out your advance, Steve.
K.D.

Offline Kimjwest

• Atlanta, GA
  • Author of White Male
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24195 on: February 04, 2018, 10:23:26 AM »
Dear all,

Hi Variath

I have a copy of your book.  It looks like a good story but a native English editor would help make it better. This will help avoid refund requests and bad reviews. After that, maybe you can use Facebook ads and Amazon ads to promote it. Good luck
No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thinking ~ Voltaire

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24196 on: February 04, 2018, 10:47:36 AM »

Those are some great stats.  8)

I can't thank you and everyone else enough for sharing your experiences and stats on this board. I would be completely lost in the dark without it. Now I'm just kinda sorta lost.
My own recent stats: Fell off the cliff yesterday w/only 8 page views. I did not despair because I knew I had my Readper campaign starting. Woke up at 4:30 for no reason and decided to check my stats. It was back up to >200! Up to 9% external but still no H&T. :( Even if I never make it to H&T, the money I spent on Readper was worth it if only for the psychological benefit. Before Readper, I had Author Shout going for about a week, but I don't know if it helped at all.

Kalen. Can you tell us what marketing/promotion you did? Sorry if you've already done that in previous posts.

Offline SadieRiley

• View Profile
« Reply #24197 on: February 04, 2018, 11:54:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing this. It's good that they took the time to point out what to fix. I think that they liked it a lot to invest the time and effort to help you with such a detailed feedback. It's as if saying, this is worthy, even if we couldn't select it as it is.

Now, you didn't say if you would be willing to add a sex scene to it. I agree with the editor that it is expected because of the type of action, but it's not mandatory. You can publish it in romance contemporary and see if there is any other situation on the book for a second category.

And there's a Sports sub-category in Romance.

Kindle Store : Kindle eBooks : Romance : Sports

I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. The issue I was having was, in my mind, a sex scene didn't fit and would make it seem less real. But when I re-read it a few times, I realized it was lacking in emotional depth. So from a reader's perspective written as is it needed one.  So I ended up doing some revisions and added about 10k words.  I have it in to an editor now and will see what her thoughts are.

Offline RE Johnston

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24198 on: February 04, 2018, 12:01:04 PM »
Hi. One of the lovely people on this thread reached out to me and told me about this board. I have my first Kindle Scout book in a campaign right now. It's been on hot and trending for half the campaign but slipped off last night.

Also happy to see that a book I nominated, Island on Fire, was selected!

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/3NB3OISE65I8V

Glad to see you here, Beth. Coyote Ate the Stars looks like it could be a real contender.

Grab yourself a second life!
RE Johnston | website | facebook | twitter

Offline RE Johnston

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24199 on: February 04, 2018, 12:04:24 PM »

Thanks, Steve - I just invested $0.99 (US) in what promises to be a great read.

Grab yourself a second life!
RE Johnston | website | facebook | twitter