Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2052097 times)  

Offline Simply_J

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #24250 on: February 08, 2018, 11:20:04 AM »
I suggested individual threads to help submissions before sending them in. And I still think that would be good.

Because there is no way to improvise experience, and some of the mistakes I see in Kindle Scout submissions, could have been avoided if the authors were aware of them before submitting.

A paid proofreader might tell you, but most people don't, because they don't want to offend anyone. This is not about offending, but kindly suggesting the way fellow authors can improve their submissions. Authors who had done it before can help others more. If there is the will and time, of course.

Anyway, since what I'm saying next is not addressed to anyone in particular, I won't be kind.

I've been reading most Kindle Scout Selected books, the ones already available, and I concluded that the Kindle Scout process is an interactive slush pile. Where the authors get a little more control and flexibility, while the books should be ready for publication.

But still a slush pile, where an editor's job and future promotion, would depend on how profitable the books this editor acquire become. And in the Amazon ecosystem that means how satisfied the KU and Prime membership readers are. And as we already know, there is a ruthless competitive working environment within Amazon.

Why am I saying all of this? Because these editors have to select books that are ready for publication. Books that grab the reader's attention and don't release it.

Promotion can get us into H&T, but will never make us a ready to be published author. Learning that takes time, countless hours writing and reading.

Yes, reading. I've read some submissions to Kindle Scout that seemed written by authors who had never read within their own genre. Or even worse, these authors believe they can change the rules of the genre, and the taste of the editors and possible readers.

Time to remember again, Kindle Scout is a slush pile.

For the I-am-so-talented-that-I-do-my-books-my-way --there is KDP.

Finally, the most common issue I noticed in most submissions is wasting valuable space with infodump. Those 5000 words must be use wisely. A couple of concise and apart paragraphs of background information should suffice.  Show and don't tell never gets old. And start the book from where something is truly happening, for many authors is a chapter later in the book, one great chapter that Kindle Scout readers will never read because it's all the way down to the 22000 word count. Well, move it and change the dynamic of the narrative, and archive the infodump.

If this helps, at least, one fellow author, I would be just paying forward similar advice given to me, more than a decade ago.

Edited to correct a couple of typos.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 12:56:43 PM by Simply_J »

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #24251 on: February 08, 2018, 12:09:44 PM »
/\ Great post.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #24252 on: February 08, 2018, 02:54:46 PM »
I know you guys got that email, but I'm still inclined to think the responder didn't know what he or she was talking about. I've never had that problem with Kindle Scout specifically, but I've gotten bad info from Amazon first responders on several occasions.

The reason I'm skeptical is that some books have been selected with almost no hot and trending time--which must mean a very low number of nominations. How could they have been selected if the editors didn't read them? Clearly, they must have read them, or they wouldn't have been selected. I supposed the process could have changed recently, but I can't think of any reason it would have changed.

Also, KS tells us little to nothing about the background process. Why reveal how they shortlist books when the responder could just have said that your book wasn't shortlisted? That seems more like someone who is misinterpreting than someone who actually knows. People who know how KS works are normally far more tight-lipped.

Keep in mind that this was within a week or so of someone being told his book wasn't selected and getting his feedback before his campaign ended. That alone tells us that there are glitches. If something that big can go wrong, it's certainly conceivable that you could have gotten an incorrect answer to your question.
I'm inclined to agree with this.

I think the editors are no different than anyone else when looking at the new books coming on board, which I am sure they do. I'm sure we have all done it and seen a cover and blurb on newly oploaded KS books that screamed professional, and that the author likely knows what they are doing. It's hard not to take a quick look at the samples of those ones.

If the sample is as good as the cover and blurb, then it is likely they go on to read the MS and to disregard nominations or any other data and champion acceptance. I've seen this a few times when a book has been accepted in too short a time after the campaign has finished and with little time H&T for it not to have been read during the campaign.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 02:56:27 PM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #24253 on: February 08, 2018, 03:12:33 PM »
I suggested individual threads to help submissions before sending them in. And I still think that would be good.

Because there is no way to improvise experience, and some of the mistakes I see in Kindle Scout submissions, could have been avoided if the authors were aware of them before submitting.

A paid proofreader might tell you, but most people don't, because they don't want to offend anyone. This is not about offending, but kindly suggesting the way fellow authors can improve their submissions. Authors who had done it before can help others more. If there is the will and time, of course.

Anyway, since what I'm saying next is not addressed to anyone in particular, I won't be kind.

I've been reading most Kindle Scout Selected books, the ones already available, and I concluded that the Kindle Scout process is an interactive slush pile. Where the authors get a little more control and flexibility, while the books should be ready for publication.

But still a slush pile, where an editor's job and future promotion, would depend on how profitable the books this editor acquire become. And in the Amazon ecosystem that means how satisfied the KU and Prime membership readers are. And as we already know, there is a ruthless competitive working environment within Amazon.

Why am I saying all of this? Because these editors have to select books that are ready for publication. Books that grab the reader's attention and don't release it.

Promotion can get us into H&T, but will never make us a ready to be published author. Learning that takes time, countless hours writing and reading.

Yes, reading. I've read some submissions to Kindle Scout that seemed written by authors who had never read within their own genre. Or even worse, these authors believe they can change the rules of the genre, and the taste of the editors and possible readers.

Time to remember again, Kindle Scout is a slush pile.

For the I-am-so-talented-that-I-do-my-books-my-way --there is KDP.

Finally, the most common issue I noticed in most submissions is wasting valuable space with infodump. Those 5000 words must be use wisely. A couple of concise and apart paragraphs of background information should suffice.  Show and don't tell never gets old. And start the book from where something is truly happening, for many authors is a chapter later in the book, one great chapter that Kindle Scout readers will never read because it's all the way down to the 22000 word count. Well, move it and change the dynamic of the narrative, and archive the infodump.

If this helps, at least, one fellow author, I would be just paying forward similar advice given to me, more than a decade ago.

Edited to correct a couple of typos.

It shouldn't be a slush pile in that slush piles are a mixture of edited and unedited books, especially on the development side. The only similarity with KS hopefuls should be that they are a mixture of novices and old hands at novel writing. KS submissions are quite clear as to what they are looking for, yet many discount that when you read blurbs and look at some of the covers, never mind the samples.

It all boils down to where each author is on the learning curve as regards crafting a story and all that it entails. So it is not simply a question of "I-am-so-talented-that-I-do-my-books-my-way -- so I go straight to KDP." It's more a matter of if the author has adhered to the submission terms and had their book edited to make it the best it can be. I hear what you say about separate threads, but in some instances it would be like the blind leading the blind as regards feedback as I have experienced over many years on writer's sites. Nothing can compare with an edit from someone with editorial credentials.

Even then, edited books won't guarantee acceptance, but from editorial feedback we've had reported so far, not editing to some degree is a shortcut to rejection.

Great that as someone with experiece is offering to help.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 07:07:10 PM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline lincolnjcole

• Ohio
  • Storyteller
    • View Profile
    • Lincoln Cole
« Reply #24254 on: February 08, 2018, 05:26:16 PM »
It shouldn't be a slush pile in that slush piles are a mixture of edited and unedited books, especially on the development side. The only similarity with KS hopefuls should be that they are a mixture of novices and old hands at novel writing. KS submissions are quite clear as to what they are looking for, yet many discount that when you read blurbs and look at some of the covers, never mind the samples.

It all boils down to where each author is on the learning curve as regards crafting a story and all that it entails. So it is not simply a question of "I-am-so-talented-that-I-do-my-books-my-way -- so I go straight to KDP." It's more a matter of if the author has adhered to the submission terms and had their book edited to make it the best it can be. I hear what you say about separate threads, but in some instances it would be like the blind leading the blind as regards feedback as I have experienced over many years on writer's sites. Nothing can compare with an edit from someone with editorial credentials.

Even then, edited books won't guarantee acceptance, but from editorial feedback we've had reported so far, it's a shortcut to rejection.

Very true, and sometimes a book with only light editing is so good they can't turn it away. I would just say do the best you can do (don't pull a Tolkien) and just try to have fun with it.

Still nominating and still shouting things out! I've been crazy busy with other projects the last few weeks (including building Amazon Alexa apps lol) so I will do my best to keep updating everything!

Good luck everyone!

Offline Simply_J

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
« Reply #24255 on: February 08, 2018, 05:41:36 PM »
/\ Great post.

Thanks.

Even then, edited books won't guarantee acceptance, but from editorial feedback we've had reported so far, it's a shortcut to rejection.

The books submitted to agents and publishers that accept unagented submissions, are supposed to be edited. I'm not the only one around that has been through the publishing evolution. Many in this board can point out a couple of things that can make the difference in getting an editor's attention.

Even a new author, who is an avid reader can tell if a book is too slow before it reaches any type of takeoff. And with only 5000 words for flying, the runway is limited.

I said it is a slush pile to get the idea of what it's really at stake. Because I have the feeling that many perceive Kindle Scout more like a literally contest, when the only thing missing in the submission checklist is the dreaded synopsis.

Also, I think that because of the editorial feedback offer, many authors who know their books aren't ready, are still submitting them hopeful for that feedback. And of course, we all dream of a miracle.

Anyway, it was just an idea.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24256 on: February 09, 2018, 02:03:58 AM »
It's Friday and I have got the weekend off and I can't wait to get there.

But first, let me talk a bit more about Kindle Scout.

I tried it first back in 2015 and then made it with my second try in 2016. I still might try it again.

Back in 2015 you could experience a bounce in Hot and Trending with about 15 or 16 views and a handful of nominations. Mind you, the Kindle Scout folks have NEVER seen fit to tell any of us just how many nominations we get and I don't blame them one bit for it. If they made that number public then they would leave themselves open to folks getting owly over not being selected and complaining that "Joey So-and-So was selected with only a few nominations and I had more than he did!"

So they keep the numbers to themselves just to allow themselves a chance to make up their mind.

Back then, I am pretty sure that all of the books were read. There were a whole lot fewer submissions back then. These days, Kindle Scout is catching on and there are a lot more submissions on any given day. I know that the Kindle Scout team has got a little larger than it used to be, but we are talking about just a few more folks on the team. I am pretty sure that not all of the selections get seriously looked at. I am also pretty sure that Hot and Trending plays a bit in getting certain books read, more than it used to. I am still pretty sure that Kindle Scout still looks at certain books that stand out from the heap - but let's face it. If they stood out that much, odds are they'd be getting some sort of notice in the Hot and Trending.

But - just the same - I think that any writer who wants to get themselves noticed in the selection process ought to put a little bit of effort into hitting that hot and trending. I wouldn't freak out about it (because freaking out NEVER looks good on a writer) and I wouldn't throw too much money at it (because I am a cheapskate) - but I think you ought to be ready to do whatever you can to get your book noticed.

Let's face it.

Kindle Scout has NEVER lied about the fact that this IS a competition.

Now let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

2 days left Justified Sins by Brian Drae
2 days left Imperfect Li(v)es by SA Krishnan
6 days left Coyote Ate the Stars by E.A. Van Stralen
7 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
8 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black
13 days left Wards and Wonders by Kay L. Ling
13 days left Ghostly Intentions by Jill James
13 days left The Haunting of Kaleb Bell by W. & W. Sawday
13 days left hypnoSnatch by Trisha Mcnary
14 days left The Lunar Deception by T.E. Olivant
16 days left The Last Hunter by Lee Hayton
17 days left Don't Ask, Don't Tell by Monte Dutton
20 days left Kingshold by D.P. Woolliscroft
20 days left Ghost and Found by Kimberly G. Giarratano
20 days left Forever Young by Sue Seabury
20 days left A Woman of the Road by Amy Wolf
21 days left The Lost Tomb of Cleopatra by J.T. Osbourne
21 days left Vic Boyo, Doofus Detective in: Double Murders are Twice as Bad by Milo James Fowler
23 days left The Space in You by K.D. Lovgren
24 days left Neon Sands: A Trilogy by Adam J. Smith
27 days left Goddess Rudra by Ignatius Variath
27 days left Vengeance of Dracula by James Mascia
27 days left I Spy a Scarecrow by Bradon Nave
27 days left Undone by the Earl by Elizabeth Rue
28 days left Hexborn by A.M. Manay
28 days left Fatal Feast by Betty Kuffel

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24257 on: February 09, 2018, 05:57:05 AM »
It feels good to be on the second half of my campaign. My page view ratio remains more balanced than I expected at 58/42 internal/external. I highly recommend going on vacation during your campaign. Im watching my stats but definitely not stressing over the outcome.

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #24258 on: February 09, 2018, 01:53:29 PM »
It feels good to be on the second half of my campaign. My page view ratio remains more balanced than I expected at 58/42 internal/external. I highly recommend going on vacation during your campaign. Im watching my stats but definitely not stressing over the outcome.

After a couple of days I just realized the best way to spend the 30 day campaign is writing a fast-follow release. I can't think of anything more encouraging than seeing your cover in the Hot & Trending list (although the fact I'm not there anymore brings you back to earth pretty quickly). Vacation sounds like a good idea, too!

Q: How did you get such a high percentage of external visits? Did you advertise somewhere that you felt gave you a reasonable lift?

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24259 on: February 09, 2018, 02:11:52 PM »

Sounds like a relaxing plan. Good going.

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24260 on: February 09, 2018, 02:13:26 PM »
Congratulations to Stephen Stromp and his "Where the Cats Will Not Follow." Good to see it on the kindle press publication list.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24261 on: February 09, 2018, 02:33:35 PM »
After a couple of days I just realized the best way to spend the 30 day campaign is writing a fast-follow release. I can't think of anything more encouraging than seeing your cover in the Hot & Trending list (although the fact I'm not there anymore brings you back to earth pretty quickly). Vacation sounds like a good idea, too!

Q: How did you get such a high percentage of external visits? Did you advertise somewhere that you felt gave you a reasonable lift?

I used Readper, Lincoln Cole, Author Shout, Melrock on Fiverr, Ripleys (YA/NA) and Just Kindle Books.

Offline WandWSawday

• View Profile
« Reply #24262 on: February 09, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »

This bolded section is the truth, and something I have been preaching to myself. Great advice

Offline Jill James

• Biggest Little City in the World
    • View Profile
    • Jill James, romance writer
« Reply #24263 on: February 09, 2018, 04:47:48 PM »
I have book 2 started, but then I needed to work on a novella for a boxed set I'm in. Must write faster!!!
Ghostly Deceptions: 8%

Ghostly Perceptions: 1%
A Little Sweet. A Little Sexy. A Lot Happily-Ever-After.
Jill James | blog | website | Facebook | Twitter | newsletter

Offline Jeanne McNamee

• First Class Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Jeanne's official website
« Reply #24264 on: February 09, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »
Delighted to have checked back in and found you're still providing updates, Steve! Totally enjoyed Kelpie :D KS was one of the scariest things I've ever done... also... to those sitting at their desks with toes curled under... I was on the H & T list for all 30 days and wasn't selected... don't fret over that! Like any publisher... KS is going to select books that meet their 'list'. Run a solid campaign and don't give up. And, hey... you've got Steve here... reminding everyone that you're in the running... posting delightful updates... and keeping it just a little less scary :D

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24265 on: February 09, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »
Hey, everyone.  Just heard back from Kindle Scout and they have decided not to publish Knight School.  So, I decided to submit Knight School to Swoon Reads.com, where everyone who nominated it can read the entire manuscript for free in its entirety.  Here's the link: https://www.swoonreads.com/m/the-knight-journals-book-one-knight-school-3/

If anyone has time to read it and maybe rate/review it, I would love to hear what you think.  Thank you to everyone who nominated Knight School and good luck to all who are still in the running.  Also, it didn't say in the email if I'm going to receive feedback or not.  Does it usually say in the first email if a person is going to receive feedback or do they just send it out sometime later without notice?

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24266 on: February 10, 2018, 02:43:57 AM »
It's Saturday and I have got the whole day off.

First off - congratulations to Stephen Stromp for winning Kindle Scout with his novel, WHERE THE CATS WILL NOT FOLLOW. Well done!

Secondly - I want to remind folks that tomorrow is the last day to grab a copy of my Kindle Scout winning novel, KELPIE DREAMS, for the low price of only 99 cents. I've sold 15 copies this week so far - which is a LOOONG way away from the 300 copies I had HOPED to sell - but as my grandfather used to always say, "Hope in one hand and #&@% in the other and see which hand fills up fastest".

Thirdly - if your Kindle Scout campaign is in its last few days - DON'T FORGET TO NOMINATE IT YOURSELF! That way, if it wins, you receive a free copy yourself, which is a GREAT way to get a look at the finished product WHEN the first batch goes out.

Now let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left Justified Sins by Brian Drae
1 day left Imperfect Li(v)es by SA Krishnan
5 days left Coyote Ate the Stars by E.A. Van Stralen
6 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
7 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black
12 days left Wards and Wonders by Kay L. Ling
12 days left Ghostly Intentions by Jill James
12 days left The Haunting of Kaleb Bell by W. & W. Sawday
12 days left hypnoSnatch by Trisha Mcnary
13 days left The Lunar Deception by T.E. Olivant
15 days left The Last Hunter by Lee Hayton
16 days left Don't Ask, Don't Tell by Monte Dutton
19 days left Kingshold by D.P. Woolliscroft
19 days left Ghost and Found by Kimberly G. Giarratano
19 days left Forever Young by Sue Seabury
19 days left A Woman of the Road by Amy Wolf
20 days left The Lost Tomb of Cleopatra by J.T. Osbourne
20 days left Vic Boyo, Doofus Detective in: Double Murders are Twice as Bad by Milo James Fowler
22 days left The Space in You by K.D. Lovgren
23 days left Neon Sands: A Trilogy by Adam J. Smith
26 days left Goddess Rudra by Ignatius Variath
26 days left Vengeance of Dracula by James Mascia
26 days left I Spy a Scarecrow by Bradon Nave
26 days left Undone by the Earl by Elizabeth Rue
27 days left Hexborn by A.M. Manay
27 days left Fatal Feast by Betty Kuffel
28 days left Sicarius Soul by Jade Kerrion

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #24267 on: February 10, 2018, 06:03:52 AM »
Had three open slots and nominated:

Justified Sins by Brian Drae
Imperfect Li(v)es by SA Krishnan
Coyote Ate the Stars by E.A. Van Stralen

Best of luck to all three and all those in the KS waiting room!

Mark

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #24268 on: February 10, 2018, 06:56:42 AM »
I used Readper, Lincoln Cole, Author Shout, Melrock on Fiverr, Ripleys (YA/NA) and Just Kindle Books.
I second almost all of those. I don't think I've tried JKB--I'll give it a shot next time.

None of them are expensive, and they all produce good results. I get the biggest bursts from RP, LC, and Ripley, but the others are good for some campaign-long boost.

As Jaxon noted the other day, measuring exact effects can be difficult, as mailing list link clinks won't be credited to the specific promoter. If your views skyrocket on a given day, though, that's a pretty good indicator that the promo running that day is working.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24269 on: February 10, 2018, 08:02:37 AM »
Hey, everyone.  Just heard back from Kindle Scout and they have decided not to publish Knight School.  So, I decided to submit Knight School to Swoon Reads.com, where everyone who nominated it can read the entire manuscript for free in its entirety.  Here's the link: https://www.swoonreads.com/m/the-knight-journals-book-one-knight-school-3/

If anyone has time to read it and maybe rate/review it, I would love to hear what you think.  Thank you to everyone who nominated Knight School and good luck to all who are still in the running.  Also, it didn't say in the email if I'm going to receive feedback or not.  Does it usually say in the first email if a person is going to receive feedback or do they just send it out sometime later without notice?

You're still planning to self-publish on Amazon, right? Let us know when it is up. Sorry it didn't get selected by the kindle press people.

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24270 on: February 10, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »
You're still planning to self-publish on Amazon, right? Let us know when it is up. Sorry it didn't get selected by the kindle press people.

Thank you :)  Im think that I am going to selfpublish and take it off of SwoonReads.  But Im still new at this and wondering about pricing.  The book is about 50,008 words long, how much should I price it for?  And would anyone who has time to read the whole book, be okay with posting an honest review?

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #24271 on: February 10, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »
Thank you :)  Im think that I am going to selfpublish and take it off of SwoonReads.  But Im still new at this and wondering about pricing.  The book is about 50,008 words long, how much should I price it for?  And would anyone who has time to read the whole book, be okay with posting an honest review?

My recommendation would be to look for a list of comparables in your genre (use indie authors, not traditional best sellers) and then price accordingly. I'd also be cognizant of the various royalty rates on Amazon (e.g., don't price at $2.98 if the next royalty bracket starts at $2.99)

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24272 on: February 10, 2018, 10:15:29 AM »

I price my first book at $0.99. It sells a few books a week at that price, but it doesn't sell at a higher price. Of course, I don't make much money from that, but KU pages read have earned up to $20 a month. I think my latest book (now on KS) will do better because I've learned a lot since writing the first one. Which brings me to the important advice of "invest in a professional editor before you publish." This will make a big difference in your sales over the long haul.
I'll read your book and review it if you publish on Amazon - if there's not a lot of graphic violence. I'm kind of squeamish. Can you tell me if there's a lot of blood, gore, and killing? 

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24273 on: February 10, 2018, 12:31:23 PM »
Thank you, for everyone's advice on pricing.  I lost my job, so I can't afford to get a professional editor, so I was unfortunately tasked with editing the book myself.  I decided to price the book at .99 cents and have just finished uploading it to KDP.  Now, I'm just waiting for it to finish processing.  Also, I changed the series name to "THE MYSTIC BRAT JOURNALS".  Wish me luck :)

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24274 on: February 10, 2018, 02:25:28 PM »
Thank you, for everyone's advice on pricing.  I lost my job, so I can't afford to get a professional editor, so I was unfortunately tasked with editing the book myself.  I decided to price the book at .99 cents and have just finished uploading it to KDP.  Now, I'm just waiting for it to finish processing.  Also, I changed the series name to "THE MYSTIC BRAT JOURNALS".  Wish me luck :)

If you post on here when your book's up, I'll get a copy and review it. You didn't say how much violence is in it, but I have to mention that I'll have to stop reading if it gets too violent for me. (However, don't worry, I won't post a negative review about that. I'll either post a positive review or no review.) I have KU, so I can read it for free if you put it on KU. I also suggest offering it for free at least the first day or two to get your numbers up and get more reviews hopefully. And also using Amazon Marketing Service to advertise.
Good luck! and sorry about your job  :'(