Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1792298 times)  

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #24275 on: February 09, 2018, 02:13:26 PM »
Congratulations to Stephen Stromp and his "Where the Cats Will Not Follow." Good to see it on the kindle press publication list.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24276 on: February 09, 2018, 02:33:35 PM »
After a couple of days I just realized the best way to spend the 30 day campaign is writing a fast-follow release. I can't think of anything more encouraging than seeing your cover in the Hot & Trending list (although the fact I'm not there anymore brings you back to earth pretty quickly). Vacation sounds like a good idea, too!

Q: How did you get such a high percentage of external visits? Did you advertise somewhere that you felt gave you a reasonable lift?

I used Readper, Lincoln Cole, Author Shout, Melrock on Fiverr, Ripleys (YA/NA) and Just Kindle Books.

Offline WandWSawday

• View Profile
« Reply #24277 on: February 09, 2018, 03:10:15 PM »
After a couple of days I just realized the best way to spend the 30 day campaign is writing a fast-follow release. I can't think of anything more encouraging than seeing your cover in the Hot & Trending list (although the fact I'm not there anymore brings you back to earth pretty quickly). Vacation sounds like a good idea, too!

Q: How did you get such a high percentage of external visits? Did you advertise somewhere that you felt gave you a reasonable lift?

This bolded section is the truth, and something I have been preaching to myself. Great advice

Offline Jill James

• Biggest Little City in the World
    • View Profile
    • Jill James, romance writer
« Reply #24278 on: February 09, 2018, 04:47:48 PM »
I have book 2 started, but then I needed to work on a novella for a boxed set I'm in. Must write faster!!!
Ghostly Intentions: 100%

Ghostly Deceptions: 6%
Kindle Scout - Ghostly Intentions - https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/D4UWV0OHU0HZ
Jill James | blog | website | Facebook | Twitter | newsletter

Offline Jeanne McNamee

• First Class Procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Jeanne's official website
« Reply #24279 on: February 09, 2018, 05:00:05 PM »
Delighted to have checked back in and found you're still providing updates, Steve! Totally enjoyed Kelpie :D KS was one of the scariest things I've ever done... also... to those sitting at their desks with toes curled under... I was on the H & T list for all 30 days and wasn't selected... don't fret over that! Like any publisher... KS is going to select books that meet their 'list'. Run a solid campaign and don't give up. And, hey... you've got Steve here... reminding everyone that you're in the running... posting delightful updates... and keeping it just a little less scary :D

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24280 on: February 09, 2018, 07:23:00 PM »
Hey, everyone.  Just heard back from Kindle Scout and they have decided not to publish Knight School.  So, I decided to submit Knight School to Swoon Reads.com, where everyone who nominated it can read the entire manuscript for free in its entirety.  Here's the link: https://www.swoonreads.com/m/the-knight-journals-book-one-knight-school-3/

If anyone has time to read it and maybe rate/review it, I would love to hear what you think.  Thank you to everyone who nominated Knight School and good luck to all who are still in the running.  Also, it didn't say in the email if I'm going to receive feedback or not.  Does it usually say in the first email if a person is going to receive feedback or do they just send it out sometime later without notice?

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24281 on: February 10, 2018, 02:43:57 AM »
It's Saturday and I have got the whole day off.

First off - congratulations to Stephen Stromp for winning Kindle Scout with his novel, WHERE THE CATS WILL NOT FOLLOW. Well done!

Secondly - I want to remind folks that tomorrow is the last day to grab a copy of my Kindle Scout winning novel, KELPIE DREAMS, for the low price of only 99 cents. I've sold 15 copies this week so far - which is a LOOONG way away from the 300 copies I had HOPED to sell - but as my grandfather used to always say, "Hope in one hand and #&@% in the other and see which hand fills up fastest".

Thirdly - if your Kindle Scout campaign is in its last few days - DON'T FORGET TO NOMINATE IT YOURSELF! That way, if it wins, you receive a free copy yourself, which is a GREAT way to get a look at the finished product WHEN the first batch goes out.

Now let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left Justified Sins by Brian Drae
1 day left Imperfect Li(v)es by SA Krishnan
5 days left Coyote Ate the Stars by E.A. Van Stralen
6 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
7 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black
12 days left Wards and Wonders by Kay L. Ling
12 days left Ghostly Intentions by Jill James
12 days left The Haunting of Kaleb Bell by W. & W. Sawday
12 days left hypnoSnatch by Trisha Mcnary
13 days left The Lunar Deception by T.E. Olivant
15 days left The Last Hunter by Lee Hayton
16 days left Don't Ask, Don't Tell by Monte Dutton
19 days left Kingshold by D.P. Woolliscroft
19 days left Ghost and Found by Kimberly G. Giarratano
19 days left Forever Young by Sue Seabury
19 days left A Woman of the Road by Amy Wolf
20 days left The Lost Tomb of Cleopatra by J.T. Osbourne
20 days left Vic Boyo, Doofus Detective in: Double Murders are Twice as Bad by Milo James Fowler
22 days left The Space in You by K.D. Lovgren
23 days left Neon Sands: A Trilogy by Adam J. Smith
26 days left Goddess Rudra by Ignatius Variath
26 days left Vengeance of Dracula by James Mascia
26 days left I Spy a Scarecrow by Bradon Nave
26 days left Undone by the Earl by Elizabeth Rue
27 days left Hexborn by A.M. Manay
27 days left Fatal Feast by Betty Kuffel
28 days left Sicarius Soul by Jade Kerrion

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #24282 on: February 10, 2018, 06:03:52 AM »
Had three open slots and nominated:

Justified Sins by Brian Drae
Imperfect Li(v)es by SA Krishnan
Coyote Ate the Stars by E.A. Van Stralen

Best of luck to all three and all those in the KS waiting room!

Mark

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #24283 on: February 10, 2018, 06:56:42 AM »
I used Readper, Lincoln Cole, Author Shout, Melrock on Fiverr, Ripleys (YA/NA) and Just Kindle Books.
I second almost all of those. I don't think I've tried JKB--I'll give it a shot next time.

None of them are expensive, and they all produce good results. I get the biggest bursts from RP, LC, and Ripley, but the others are good for some campaign-long boost.

As Jaxon noted the other day, measuring exact effects can be difficult, as mailing list link clinks won't be credited to the specific promoter. If your views skyrocket on a given day, though, that's a pretty good indicator that the promo running that day is working.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24284 on: February 10, 2018, 08:02:37 AM »
Hey, everyone.  Just heard back from Kindle Scout and they have decided not to publish Knight School.  So, I decided to submit Knight School to Swoon Reads.com, where everyone who nominated it can read the entire manuscript for free in its entirety.  Here's the link: https://www.swoonreads.com/m/the-knight-journals-book-one-knight-school-3/

If anyone has time to read it and maybe rate/review it, I would love to hear what you think.  Thank you to everyone who nominated Knight School and good luck to all who are still in the running.  Also, it didn't say in the email if I'm going to receive feedback or not.  Does it usually say in the first email if a person is going to receive feedback or do they just send it out sometime later without notice?

You're still planning to self-publish on Amazon, right? Let us know when it is up. Sorry it didn't get selected by the kindle press people.

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24285 on: February 10, 2018, 09:44:13 AM »
You're still planning to self-publish on Amazon, right? Let us know when it is up. Sorry it didn't get selected by the kindle press people.

Thank you :)  Im think that I am going to selfpublish and take it off of SwoonReads.  But Im still new at this and wondering about pricing.  The book is about 50,008 words long, how much should I price it for?  And would anyone who has time to read the whole book, be okay with posting an honest review?

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #24286 on: February 10, 2018, 09:52:17 AM »
Thank you :)  Im think that I am going to selfpublish and take it off of SwoonReads.  But Im still new at this and wondering about pricing.  The book is about 50,008 words long, how much should I price it for?  And would anyone who has time to read the whole book, be okay with posting an honest review?

My recommendation would be to look for a list of comparables in your genre (use indie authors, not traditional best sellers) and then price accordingly. I'd also be cognizant of the various royalty rates on Amazon (e.g., don't price at $2.98 if the next royalty bracket starts at $2.99)

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24287 on: February 10, 2018, 10:15:29 AM »

I price my first book at $0.99. It sells a few books a week at that price, but it doesn't sell at a higher price. Of course, I don't make much money from that, but KU pages read have earned up to $20 a month. I think my latest book (now on KS) will do better because I've learned a lot since writing the first one. Which brings me to the important advice of "invest in a professional editor before you publish." This will make a big difference in your sales over the long haul.
I'll read your book and review it if you publish on Amazon - if there's not a lot of graphic violence. I'm kind of squeamish. Can you tell me if there's a lot of blood, gore, and killing? 

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24288 on: February 10, 2018, 12:31:23 PM »
Thank you, for everyone's advice on pricing.  I lost my job, so I can't afford to get a professional editor, so I was unfortunately tasked with editing the book myself.  I decided to price the book at .99 cents and have just finished uploading it to KDP.  Now, I'm just waiting for it to finish processing.  Also, I changed the series name to "THE MYSTIC BRAT JOURNALS".  Wish me luck :)

Offline TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24289 on: February 10, 2018, 02:25:28 PM »
Thank you, for everyone's advice on pricing.  I lost my job, so I can't afford to get a professional editor, so I was unfortunately tasked with editing the book myself.  I decided to price the book at .99 cents and have just finished uploading it to KDP.  Now, I'm just waiting for it to finish processing.  Also, I changed the series name to "THE MYSTIC BRAT JOURNALS".  Wish me luck :)

If you post on here when your book's up, I'll get a copy and review it. You didn't say how much violence is in it, but I have to mention that I'll have to stop reading if it gets too violent for me. (However, don't worry, I won't post a negative review about that. I'll either post a positive review or no review.) I have KU, so I can read it for free if you put it on KU. I also suggest offering it for free at least the first day or two to get your numbers up and get more reviews hopefully. And also using Amazon Marketing Service to advertise.
Good luck! and sorry about your job  :'( 

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24290 on: February 10, 2018, 03:54:40 PM »
If you post on here when your book's up, I'll get a copy and review it. You didn't say how much violence is in it, but I have to mention that I'll have to stop reading if it gets too violent for me. (However, don't worry, I won't post a negative review about that. I'll either post a positive review or no review.) I have KU, so I can read it for free if you put it on KU. I also suggest offering it for free at least the first day or two to get your numbers up and get more reviews hopefully. And also using Amazon Marketing Service to advertise.
Good luck! and sorry about your job  :'(

Thank you.  There's some violence in in different chapters, but nothing really graphic.  The action scenes are kind of a combination of Harry Potter and the tv series Once Upon A Time.  There is no level of violence that compares with gory scenes like in Game of Thrones or anything like that.  At the worst, I'd say it's almost Mortal Instruments level fight scenes, but not completely.  If there's anything you find offensive or upsetting in Knight School, feel free to let me know on this forum and I'll take another look at the manuscript and try to revise it.  I hope you enjoy reading Knight School.  And I'll think about maybe letting it be free for the first few days, it's probably a good idea :)

Offline RDCULP18

• View Profile
« Reply #24291 on: February 10, 2018, 04:24:08 PM »
Knight School just went live on the Kindle Store.  Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QMWC34/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518307984&sr=1-10&keywords=knight+school

I'm running a free promotion starting tonight at midnight the 14th.  If anyone has time to read the whole book, please post a review on the book's page.  I'm also planning on publishing Knight School on the Barnes and Noble website through Nook Press.  If I sell a 1,000 digital copies on that site, they will sell print copies in their stores.  So, I'll post the link for that here, when it goes live as well.  I'm going to keep the price set at 99 cents on there too.

Offline charitymomoa

• View Profile
« Reply #24292 on: February 10, 2018, 05:06:45 PM »
Knight School just went live on the Kindle Store.  Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QMWC34/ref=sr_1_10?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1518307984&sr=1-10&keywords=knight+school

I'm running a free promotion starting tonight at midnight the 14th.  If anyone has time to read the whole book, please post a review on the book's page.  I'm also planning on publishing Knight School on the Barnes and Noble website through Nook Press.  If I sell a 1,000 digital copies on that site, they will sell print copies in their stores.  So, I'll post the link for that here, when it goes live as well.  I'm going to keep the price set at 99 cents on there too.
Goodluck with the launch. I just got the news about Knight School, I was looking forward to reading it. Anyway Ill go check it out on Amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24293 on: February 10, 2018, 06:35:26 PM »

Just picked it up for $0.99 at 9:30. Not sure when the sale will post for your kdp results, but should get a ranking sometime following first purchase, I believe. Have a bit of a queue before I could post a review though.

Offline dpwoolliscroft

• View Profile
« Reply #24294 on: February 10, 2018, 07:23:47 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm on day 10 of my campaign for Kingshold. After getting off to a great start and getting 1154 views in the first four days, with 70 hours in H&T out of 96, things really slowed down for me. I'm sitting at 1,600 views with 123 hours of 240 in H&T. I have continued to do the marketing efforts suggested here, with Lincoln Cole lined up for next week, but as yet I'm not sure how much traffic they are really driving. I have 28% of traffic coming from external but most of that is from facebook that I am driving through a boosted post.

It's funny how at the beginning of the campaign I would have been happy with those stats a third of the way in, but the first four days definitely reset my expectations. I just have to remember that I'm a new author building my potential customer base. I just got 2300 new additions to my mailing list from a newsletter share promo last month so hopefully that will prove fruitful for a few views.

I do wonder if my tagline and mini blurb is hitting the right notes but it's also likely that KindleScout is just not the place for Epic Fantasy. I know Kay and I discussed that here at the beginning of my campaign. So we'll see what happens.

I've been traveling all week for work, so haven't really had time to obsess about all of this. Not traveling this week, so can now let the obsessing begin in earnest!

Offline Milo James Fowler

• View Profile
    • Speculative Fictioneer
« Reply #24295 on: February 10, 2018, 09:10:02 PM »
I'm on day 10 too -- or maybe it's 11. I've got 1.1K views so far, but no H&T as of yet. No paid ads yet, so that's something I might need to consider.

I like your tagline + blurb, but I'm with you on the genre. Not sure how my screwball detective novel will fare, either!

I'm starting to get the word out to my mailing list: small batch tomorrow, big batch on the 18th.

May the odds be ever in our favor.

Milo James Fowler | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Kindle Scout Campaign

Offline dpwoolliscroft

• View Profile
« Reply #24296 on: February 10, 2018, 09:11:41 PM »
Good luck Milo. The newsletter will help Im sure!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ReaderPaul

• Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24297 on: February 11, 2018, 03:06:04 AM »
Just finished a week of Night Duty. Ouch! But the added bonus, was it kept me away from worrying about my KS entry. That said, I am still, in review, with Secret of The Lost Key.

It really feels like living in limbo, awaiting the email with its big fat NO. I am sure the editors know fairly soon into a KS run whether they will publish an entry. A good book probably generates excitement in the KS house and among the editors that it only takes a matter of days for a particular entry to finish until they decide. So why the big long waits for some people? I would love to just start putting Secret of The Lost Key out there now, maybe to KDP. Hopefully I will receive word in the next day or so.
Never rush, savour, enjoy and if you get the chance. Read it again.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24298 on: February 11, 2018, 03:09:15 AM »
Okay, so it is Sunday and I have got another day off.

I'm about 60,000 words into my latest regional ghost story collection. I am aiming for 75000 words and I hope to have it completed by the end of next week.

AND - don't forget to grab yourself a FREE copy of Robert Culp's novel KNIGHT SCHOOL.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079QMWC34

Now let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! Justified Sins by Brian Drae
LAST DAY LEFT! Imperfect Li(v)es by SA Krishnan
4 days left Coyote Ate the Stars by E.A. Van Stralen
5 days left Trip to Turbulence by James F. Walsh
6 days left Electric Gardens by M. Black
11 days left Wards and Wonders by Kay L. Ling
11 days left Ghostly Intentions by Jill James
11 days left The Haunting of Kaleb Bell by W. & W. Sawday
11 days left hypnoSnatch by Trisha Mcnary
12 days left The Lunar Deception by T.E. Olivant
14 days left The Last Hunter by Lee Hayton
15 days left Don't Ask, Don't Tell by Monte Dutton
18 days left Kingshold by D.P. Woolliscroft
18 days left Ghost and Found by Kimberly G. Giarratano
18 days left Forever Young by Sue Seabury
18 days left A Woman of the Road by Amy Wolf
19 days left The Lost Tomb of Cleopatra by J.T. Osbourne
19 days left Vic Boyo, Doofus Detective in: Double Murders are Twice as Bad by Milo James Fowler
21 days left The Space in You by K.D. Lovgren
22 days left Neon Sands: A Trilogy by Adam J. Smith
25 days left Goddess Rudra by Ignatius Variath
25 days left Vengeance of Dracula by James Mascia
25 days left I Spy a Scarecrow by Bradon Nave
25 days left Undone by the Earl by Elizabeth Rue
26 days left Hexborn by A.M. Manay
26 days left Fatal Feast by Betty Kuffel
27 days left Sicarius Soul by Jade Kerrion

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts. No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Online SueSeabury

• View Profile
    • Amazon Author Page
« Reply #24299 on: February 11, 2018, 04:04:46 AM »
Def. feeling the mid-campaign slump. Any tips for powering through this sluggish midsection?

Help a gal out & give her a shout on kindle scout https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/I36ESZITV53A
Sue Seabury | blog | facebook | twitter