NetGalley

Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 2050983 times)  

Offline TascheLaine

• View Profile
    • Tasche Laine, Author
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #24800 on: March 08, 2018, 02:38:02 PM »
I had the same experience with doing a pre-order. When it was finally released, it ended up as a #! new release it its category. Having individual sales spread over that same time would not have accomplished the same thing. But when all your pre-order sales are tallied when you release, it makes a difference.

This was helpful, thank you for your input! :)

~Tasche
Just self-published my first book! The dream comes true!
Tasche Laine | blog | Facebook | Twitter | Website | Goodreads | Amazon

Offline dpwoolliscroft

• View Profile
« Reply #24801 on: March 08, 2018, 02:43:42 PM »
Wow, very comprehensive feedback. It sounds like you have plot, pacing, and characters nailed down, and you just need help with polishing the prose. I shouldn't say "just," because that's a major undertaking, but it's good to know the editors generally enjoyed your book. I didn't realize your story was lighter in tone than most epic fantasy novels. Your cover definitely doesn't give that impression, so their advice about your blurb/marketing makes sense.   
Yep, need some help there I guess. I'm not an english major and been a while since high school ;)
And story is not as light as Terry Pratchett, but there is humor scattered about, especially between characters. Some fantasy can be too 'heavy' for my tastes some times. I think my blurb captures that but I'll take another look at that too.

Offline dpwoolliscroft

• View Profile
« Reply #24802 on: March 08, 2018, 02:47:14 PM »
That rejection is the best one I've ever seen! Has something changed with KS? Do they provide feedback in their rejections now? (I'm on my sixth campaign and neary a peep as to why).

As far as editing is concerned, I always pay, have tried several, reread myself a lot, and something always slips through. So I've started making it my goal for 97% error free.  But from your feedback, it looks they are asking for you to spend several rounds with an editor. My best advice is take some graduate level writing classes. Maybe consider an MFA program. Most MFA programs are really good at teaching prose and all the tricks of making a manuscript look good. But also be a little cautious too. I've had friends who've gone through an MFA program and then don't write another word. I, myself, stopped writing for a year or two after mine. So you got to pick yourself up after the MFA program and keep at it. (The nice thing about this is a lot of English MFA programs pay you to go to school because they need cheap labor Enligh 101 teachers).

However, if you are looking for a more short-term solution that doesn't require 3+ years of education. Hire an editor, go several rounds, be prepared to spend $1k or more on it. I used Therin for my latest book, though I can only afford the simple grammar edit. But you can get the services here:

https://www.kniteandday.com

If you can't afford an editor, then another suggestion would be writer workshops or meetups. Look for ones in your area. Get a group together that will read your work and build a network of people willing to read your stuff. Find the grammar snob in your family, and see if they will help.

Hope this helps.

Hi Aaron, thanks for your thoughts. I must have had four passes through the document, including a paid editor and proofreader. I even had discussions about use of colons and received advice that they're not used so much in fiction...

An MFA would be lovely, but with a family, work and still wanting to write I'll be looking to get an editor. I'm lucky enough to be able to pay for it even though i would prefer not to. I'm also a pretty quick study so hopefully I'll get cleaner as a I write more going forwards.  Thanks very much for the recommendation. I'll reach out to them.

Online Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24803 on: March 08, 2018, 02:55:29 PM »
Yep, need some help there I guess. I'm not an english major and been a while since high school ;)
And story is not as light as Terry Pratchett, but there is humor scattered about, especially between characters. Some fantasy can be too 'heavy' for my tastes some times. I think my blurb captures that but I'll take another look at that too.

I'm with you. I'm not a fan of grimdark fantasy. All my books have a little comic relief.

Offline KrWard

• View Profile
    • Writing and My Three Sons
« Reply #24804 on: March 08, 2018, 03:34:28 PM »
I wonder if someone could clarify a couple of points that have been mentioned in this thread.

What exactly does being Shortlisted mean?

Are the only potential selections by KS those novels that were shortlisted?

Do only shortlisted selections get feedback or do all novels submitted prior to 2/28 receive feedback in rejection letter?

I was not shortlisted but sincerely hoped to be provided feedback in my inevitable rejection letter as I have seen good insights from KS in those letters people have bravely posted.

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24805 on: March 08, 2018, 03:39:40 PM »
Hi Aaron, thanks for your thoughts. I must have had four passes through the document, including a paid editor and proofreader. I even had discussions about use of colons and received advice that they're not used so much in fiction...

Others here may disagree, but I have to admit I'm with your editor on this one. I feel like I so rarely see colons used in fiction, that they stick out like a sore thumb when they are occasionally used. I feel like it would be jarring to me to see them used a lot in a book. (Interestingly, I feel like semi-colons are starting to move in this direction, too, although not nearly so much.) I was really surprised when I first read that in your feedback about lots of missing colons but then saw further down that they do say that colons and em-dashes can be basically interchangeable in fiction. Personally, I would recommend that you almost exclusively stick to em-dashes when you go through and add them in.

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24806 on: March 08, 2018, 03:40:55 PM »
I wonder if someone could clarify a couple of points that have been mentioned in this thread.

Do only shortlisted selections get feedback or do all novels submitted prior to 2/28 receive feedback in rejection letter?

I was not shortlisted but sincerely hoped to be provided feedback in my inevitable rejection letter as I have seen good insights from KS in those letters people have bravely posted.

The only visible function of shortlisting is that you get the feedback. So the only way to know if you were shortlisted (assuming you submitted prior to 28 Feb) is to wait and see if you get feedback after your campaign finishes.

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline TascheLaine

• View Profile
    • Tasche Laine, Author
« Reply #24807 on: March 08, 2018, 03:42:55 PM »

Shortlisted books are the ones that got the editors attention because they received many nominations and were in H & T often.

Yes, as far as I know, only the shortlisted selections received feedback.

However, KP has been known to publish selections that were not H&T, but it is my understanding that being H&T helps get their attention, as they do not read all submissions.

Hope that helps,

~Tasche
Just self-published my first book! The dream comes true!
Tasche Laine | blog | Facebook | Twitter | Website | Goodreads | Amazon

Offline KrWard

• View Profile
« Reply #24808 on: March 08, 2018, 04:16:59 PM »
Shortlisted books are the ones that got the editors attention because they received many nominations and were in H & T often.

Yes, as far as I know, only the shortlisted selections received feedback.

However, KP has been known to publish selections that were not H&T, but it is my understanding that being H&T helps get their attention, as they do not read all submissions.

Hope that helps,

~Tasche

Thank you, Tasche! Its all part of my learning curve and I appreciate you taking the time to shed some light on the term.

Offline KrWard

• View Profile
« Reply #24809 on: March 08, 2018, 04:19:39 PM »
The only visible function of shortlisting is that you get the feedback. So the only way to know if you were shortlisted (assuming you submitted prior to 28 Feb) is to wait and see if you get feedback after your campaign finishes.

Thank you for the insight! I thought people were sent an email early in their campaign if they were shortlisted  but its good to know I may learn that I had some appeal when my campaign ends if its indicated then.

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #24810 on: March 08, 2018, 05:10:13 PM »

General comments:
This is an entertaining, well-plotted, and often humourous Fantasy novel, and we think you do a great job making the book politically relevant without clubbing the reader over the noggin with the message. The main reason we've decided not to publish it, though, is that it still requires a lot of line editing. While you certainly do demonstrate strong writing chops, there are thousands of sentence-level editing issues that need to be fixed

From what they have said and seeing as how it was shortlisted, it would seem that it doesn't need a development edit, just an edit for grammar and punctuation. However, I really feel for you having already paid for an edit, especially when the feedback says there are "thousands" of sentence-level issues editing required. I would be sending that report right away to your editor and asking for a refund assuming the edit was for grammar and punctuation.

KS recommend using an editor who complies with the Chicago Manual of Style for submissions, so maybe it would be a good idea to seek out someone who is used to working with the CMOS guide. Not sure where that leaves authors who are from the UK and the like who don't usually use the CMOS guide. If the KS editors are only used to working with CMOS, then there will be loads of differences in what they would perceive as errors that say a UK editor would not.

Good luck with finding an editor.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 05:19:51 PM by Decon »

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24811 on: March 08, 2018, 05:55:40 PM »
HI everyone. I just got my rejection through from KindleScout. But it's a pretty nice rejection!  :)  Most of my issues seem to be copy editing, which is shame after I paid for editing services. Need to process this, but probably makes sense for me to get these addressed before publishing (and if anyone has any recommendations for good copy editors then please let me know). In line with the openness of others, here is my feedback.

General comments:
This is an entertaining, well-plotted, and often humourous Fantasy novel, and we think you do a great job making the book politically relevant without clubbing the reader over the noggin with the message. The main reason weve decided not to publish it, though, is that it still requires a lot of line editing. While you certainly do demonstrate strong writing chops, there are thousands of sentence-level editing issues that need to be fixed in order for the novel to meet the high expectations of High Fantasy readers, who are a fussy bunch. At 134K words, this will require more intensive editing than we normally provide. Were not sure what your next plans are for the novel, but if youre planning on self-publishing it, then we strongly recommend that you invest in one or more rounds of professional line editing, in particular to address the many missing colons and em dashes, the pronoun-antecedent clarity issues, and the other punctuation issues.
Copyediting comments:
   Your sentences tend to be very complex like little clockworks, often involving multiple semi-independent clauses. While this is a mark of mature writing that is especially appropriate to this genre and which we sincerely admire, it requires an exceptional mastery of punctuation and pronoun-verb agreement in order for the writing to flow well and be easily understandable. Your writing style really requires a lot of colons, semicolons, and em dashes, but you almost never use them, and their absence requires the reader to often have to reread sentences to unpack their meaning and tone. For this novel to make the best possible impression on readers, we think it needs one or two more rounds of line editing. One of these rounds should focus especially on making the text conform to sections 6.82 through 6.87 of The Chicago Manual of Style, which are the em dash and colon conventions that readers are used to seeing in top-tier High Fantasy. Here are those conventions in a nutshell:

1.   When you start a sentence with a statement or declaration, and then finish off the sentence with a clarification of that initial statement, then the clarifying phrase generally needs to be preceded by a colon or single em dash. (Fiction writing tends to treat colons and single em dashes as interchangeable in most contexts, so its not usually necessary to obsess over whether you need to use one over the other.)
2.   When you place a clarifying or illuminating detail in the middle of a sentence, this detail often needs em dashes before and after it commas are not adequate for this job.

Some examples from the text, with some of the corrections boldened and underlined:
o   But then it occurred to her: would the wizard approve, or would her strike her dead?
o   Eden was already rich and well-connected you dont lead the Second without the connections to begin at captain when others start digging the latrines but he made a pretty penny out of the liberation.
o   And Fiske is quite dull can you imagine having a judge as lord protector? (This could also just be broken into two sentences.)
o   I will introduce you as my bagman a place of respect, you understand that will allow you to remain with me during the meeting.
o   Left raised to the first bolt: it was deflected away, an inch from his palm.
o   Ive been on the streets with the guard Ive seen them, and I dont recognize any colors or markings to identify them.
o   Creeping across rooftops had never been Mareths strong point suit, and carrying a metal pail of hot coals was not helping his balance or his attention, either the heat only just bearable through his gloved hand.
   The manuscript would also really benefit from some close editing to improve pronoun-antecedent agreement. You tend to use a lot of discrete clauses in your sentences, which requires particularly keen attention to making sure that the sentences pronouns, verbs, and all modifiers are grammatically clear, otherwise the reader has to frequently stop and reread the sentences to be able to fully understand them. Again, authors who use more straightforward, simplistic styles tend to not have to worry so much about this kind of thing, but your sentences often express more than one idea, and this style requires an extraordinary level of editing to pull off so that they dont unduly fatigue the reader. On the flip side, the rewards of editing complex sentences like yours well are immense, because they demonstrate to the reader that your storytelling is complex, yet easily accessible.

Just a couple representative examples of many:
o   Closing her eyes, she saw her mothers body impaled by the demons talons, screaming at the injustice of life. This doesnt work well because her mothers body sounds lifeless, and so is an unintuitive subject for the verb screaming. This would be easier to read as Closing her eyes, she saw her mother her body impaled by the demons talons screaming at the injustice of life.
o   In fact, if there had been a viable alternative, he would have avoided it. This is problematic because the whole point of the sentence is that he would have taken a viable alternative, had there been one.
   There are also a large number of garden-variety comma errors, as well as hyphenation and compounding errors, and some little word errors that we think would be worth investing the extra effort into fixing. Just a few examples:
o   Around the cats neck was the gem she had traveled such a long distance to obtain, the object of years of research to track it down.
o   I underestimated you, girl.
o   Anything else to report, Aebur? (There are a lot of missing direct address commas like this one see CMoS section 6.38 for more guidance.)
o   [crap]-eating grin
o   straight forward tastes should be straightforward tastes
o   above-ground people
o   ram shackle should be ramshackle
o   The warlock is behind this, then.
o   Dear, Duke, you must have misheard me.
o   our navy will continue to be the best in on the seas.
o   chants of, Edens Silver, from below.
o   Well, if that wasnt a sign
o   Never has a group of ramblers, traipsing over farm land, tried to be so careful (Also, farm land should be farmland.)
o   Dwarves were filling stout barrels of with water.
o   they passed off for other pirates
   a human male body but with the legs, feet, and hands of a bird of prey. Hands of a bird of prey?
   For what its worth, we can find no evidence online that the term hedge was ever used outside of the works of George Martin for the context youre using it in. Admittedly, we only did a quick Google search, and so we beg your pardon if youve researched this more deeply than we have. But if we are correct, then this makes your use of the term sound too obviously derivative of Martin, and so you might consider not using it in order to avoid this comparison. Likewise, the term mana for magical energy has a fairly recent history that is traceable directly back to Dungeons & Dragons, and so you might consider inventing a less well-worn term so that die-hard High Fantasy readers are not so likely to see it as derivative.
   The maps at the beginning of the book are outstanding, but theyre not formatted well for legibility on black-and-white e-readers. We recommend using larger and higher-definition versions of the image files, as well as formatting them as PNGs instead of JPGs.
Marketing comments:
   Your cover design is beautiful, and the birds, smoke, and glowering shadows are very effective for conveying a sense of compelling tension. Heres some food for thought, though: the story and writing style remind us of Terry Pratchett, but this doesnt really look like a Terry Pratchett cover, and so if youre hoping to make it clear to Pratchett fans that they will like this book, then whats your plan for doing that? Youre probably not going to want to change the cover as its obviously very expensive (and eye-catching, too, which is hugely important), so to our thinking, this will require you to make sure that the book description and any other marketing text you create make it very clear that while the cover design looks like super-serious, old-school High Fantasy, that the storys tone has a Pratchett-esque levity that the cover image doesnt convey.

That's great feedback. Overall, I'd see that as encouraging.

Offline dpwoolliscroft

• View Profile
« Reply #24812 on: March 08, 2018, 06:07:03 PM »
Thanks Decon. I have already sent my editor a note and also sent some feelers out to some others. I also dropped a note back to KS saying I would get them fixed and if they would reconsider. Interesting to see if they do. I doubt it but it never hurts to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dpwoolliscroft

• View Profile
« Reply #24813 on: March 08, 2018, 06:07:40 PM »
Thanks Decon. I have already sent my editor a note and also sent some feelers out to some others. I also dropped a note back to KS saying I would get them fixed and if they would reconsider. Interesting to see if they do. I doubt it but it never hurts to ask.

Offline CelinaSummers

• Tennessee
    • View Profile
    • The Cache Vault
« Reply #24814 on: March 08, 2018, 10:43:16 PM »
There are affordable options for editors out there. I should know; I am one. I base my fees on the condition of the MS as opposed to the word count. I'm not going to charge someone per word if they have 100k words but 99k of them are just fine. Judging from the feedback you received from KS, your sentence-level issues may actually stem from wordiness more than anything else. At 134k words, you've got a lot of room to play with there.

When looking for a freelance editor, too, it's always best IMO to find one that not only gives you testimonials but also a sample of their work. That way you can determine if the editor is not only doing a thorough job, but is the kind of person you can comfortably work with. I usually do a first chapter deep developmental edit as a sample, because when submitting to agents or publishers you know the first chapter is going to be read. Also, in my experience, the first chapter usually needs the most developmental work. A lot of folks tend to write their way into the storyline.

But at the end of the day, it's essential that you find an editor that won't BS you. The best feedback an author can get isn't "this is so awesome!" but the kind of feedback you got from the editors at KS. That kind of detailed response is rarer than gold in the publishing industry--an absolute gift. Cherish that feedback because you EARNED every single bit of it. You didn't get lucky. While you don't have to incorporate every single developmental edit regarding content or character arcs, anything involving structure or syntax or grammar needs to be incorporated into your writing bible.

Sounds like you've got a great story on your hands, so kudos! You've got the hard part done. Now the rest is just housecleaning, and by the time you're done editing you'll have changed your writing technique for the better. Best of luck to you!

Never  p*ss  off a witch.
Celina Summers | Elf Killing And Other Hobbies | The CacheVault | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Amazon

Online Variath

• Ernakulam, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #24815 on: March 09, 2018, 12:18:48 AM »
Dear KB team,

My campaign completed with zero hours H&T and 3.6K page views, waiting for the rejection (I think no need to wait for... it will be rejected). I would like to thank you all support my book Goddess Rudra by nominating it. I will be around with nominating others books and the next launch shall be in July.

Online Variath

• Ernakulam, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #24816 on: March 09, 2018, 01:04:48 AM »
Three books nominated
Sicarius Soul - By Jede
Hexborn - Manay
Star kin - Brian

Best of luck to all

Offline Decon

• View Profile
    • Declan Conner, Blog
« Reply #24817 on: March 09, 2018, 02:41:46 AM »

I wondered about them reconsidering after another edit. If they are to reconsider, then using an editor familiar with CMOS is a must.

Scorpion ebooks: Full length  thrillers with a sting in the tale. All enrolled in KU & Prime.
Declan Conner | blog

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna (2015-2018)
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24818 on: March 09, 2018, 03:21:03 AM »
Thank God it's Friday. It's been an awfully long week. I went to the launch last night, only to find out that it had been cancelled at the last minute. I found out after standing in the cold rain for about twenty minutes at a locked door. I kept hoping that somebody was going to show up - but no luck. I caught a bus home and checked the Facebook page only to find out that it had been cancelled.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! Hexborn by A.M. Manay
1 day left Fatal Feast by Betty Kuffel
1 day left Sicarius Soul by Jade Kerrion
1 day left Somebody to Love by Aurelia Fray
1 day left Star Kin by Brian Toups
3 days left Lips of the Sun by W. Town Andrews Jr.
6 days left A Trail of Embers by C.A. Kinnee
6 days left Mystic Evermore by Cecilia Hopkins
6 days left On Trial by Irene Lee
7 days left After the Green Withered by Kristin Ward
13 days left Tuning In: A Novel by Richard Roberts
14 days left Once in an Olive Moon by J.R. Laurence
14 days left On Holy Ground by Louise Cole
15 days left Future Warrior by Lexi Revellian
15 days left A Sensitive Situation by Lee Isserow
16 days left Dreaming of You and Me by Kristy Tate
16 days left Reclamation by Stephen D. Tucker
17 days left Worse Than Wicked by Kathryn Jankowski
17 days left Single and Looking, Daisy by Belinda Austin
17 days left Symphony of Death by Celina Summers
20 days left The Grand Unraveling by L.N. Heintz
20 days left Death In Vermilion by Barbara Elle
20 days left The Moon Thief by M.L. Hamilton
21 days left Bestseller by Carey Lewis
22 days left The Poet and the Muse by Navi Wang
28 days left Orion by Aaron Frale

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't d
dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts.
No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Don't take any wooden nickles, would you?

Offline Elizabeth Rue

• View Profile
    • Elizabeth Rue Author
« Reply #24819 on: March 09, 2018, 04:43:21 AM »
Thank you to everyone who nominated Undone by the Earl!

Fun as the campaign was, I am glad to move on to the waiting room.

I am so impressed by the level of feedback some people have received.

Thought I'd share a method I think works well for finding the best editor: consider narrowing it down to your top three candidates and then paying them for a small sample edit of your work. It's worth the investment to find the best fit before committing to having someone edit the whole book. This is especially true if you need developmental or deep line editing.

Good luck to everyone campaigning and to those still waiting!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 04:45:38 AM by Elizabeth Rue »

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #24820 on: March 09, 2018, 05:15:35 AM »
Voted for Hexborn and Star Kin.

Offline Walterrhein

• Chippewa Falls, WI
    • View Profile
    • Streets Of Lima
« Reply #24821 on: March 09, 2018, 05:25:37 AM »
Voted for:
Hexborn
Sicarius Soul
Fatal Feast

My review for 'Paperclip' is in review. I'd rather it stayed in review for a while instead of getting an instant rejection. My campaign was super mediocre I feel, 188 hours in Hot and Trending but only 1.9k page views. Will it be enough that they actually read it? I hope so.

In the meantime, Perseid Publishing has just released the sequel to my 2014 novel "The Reader of Acheron" entitled "The Literate Thief." Please check out this link because this new release needs some love:
http://streetsoflima.com/literate-thief-by-walter-rhein/

Best to luck to all of you still scouting!

Offline KGGiarratano

• View Profile
    • Kimberly G. Giarratano
« Reply #24822 on: March 09, 2018, 06:00:07 AM »
My anxiety is through the roof waiting on a decision. I keep refreshing my email.

Kimberly G. Giarratano | website | facebook | newsletter | twitter

Offline Francoag

• View Profile
Hello All,
My scout campaign for my novel, PAWN of THE GODS ended nine days ago.  I had 3000 page views and spent about 78 hours in H&T.  While the stats aren't stellar, i was still pretty excited. Before my submission to KS, I had zero online presence so it was uplifting to know that someone showed interest in my story, lol.  The day after my campaign ended, I received an email telling me the Scout crew was considering my book and I'd hear back in a few days.  Well, that hasn't happened.  Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get a response?  Even if they reject my book, I'd still like to send notifications to all the people who nominated me when I self publish.  It would certainly give me a head start.  Right now, I'm not sure what to feel. I'm wondering if they forgot about me, or if my book is at the very bottom of some slush pile.  Can anyone tell me what's going on, how long it usually takes to get an answer?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,
Biting her nails off

Online Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #24824 on: March 09, 2018, 06:37:31 AM »
KS recommend using an editor who complies with the Chicago Manual of Style for submissions, so maybe it would be a good idea to seek out someone who is used to working with the CMOS guide. Not sure where that leaves authors who are from the UK and the like who don't usually use the CMOS guide. If the KS editors are only used to working with CMOS, then there will be loads of differences in what they would perceive as errors that say a UK editor would not.
Out of curiosity, what's the UK equivalent of CMOS?

It's worth noting that CMOS recommends us of Merriam-Webster International Unabridged as the dictionary of choice--and that includes both US and UK spellings, if those are some of the differences you're talking about. I know there are also grammatical differences. I would think, though, if those were the only differences, that KS editors would understand that.

If there is really that much difference between CMOS and UK style guides, authors interested in submitting to US-based publishers might want to pick up a copy of CMOS. The new ones are pricey, but used 16th editions are out there for as little as $15.33 right now. (The 17th edition new is over $51.)

On another subject, as much as I love the feedback, which demonstrates how thoroughly submissions are read and considered, I'm a little shocked that they'd flat turn down a book they loved because it needed more editing than they provide. This would have been a moment to invite resubmission after editing. Of course, there's nothing preventing an author from doing that, but an actual suggestion to that effect would make such a submission more likely. As it is, KS has thrown what sounds like another great book out the window because of fixable problems. It reminds me of people who end up alone because they keep waiting for Prince or Princess Charming, the perfect partner who never shows up.  :( 

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter