Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1986851 times)  

Offline AaronFrale

• Minneapolis, MN
  • May the schwartz be with you.
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Page
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #24875 on: March 11, 2018, 05:52:21 PM »
Just filled my nomination list. I am attempting the post about it then forget it tactic and no h&t hours yet (I campaigned hard for all my other ones and decent h&t, but still no selections). I did notice the KS traffic is way up since I last came. I assuming more readers are on the site. Which is awesome, I felt all my other campaigns I was H&T because I was pestering friends to nominate. I so much rather it be people I don't know that would like to read my stuff. Because I always seem to get some regular readers each time I do this, I'd rather have it be that way.

Aaron Frale | Twitter | Facebook | Website

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24876 on: March 11, 2018, 05:59:01 PM »
My campaign for Sicarius Soul finished this morning and I'm so relieved. Even though I did all my planning and scheduling before it went live, I spent 30 days obsessively clicking refresh on the Kindle Scout page and tracking my campaign data.

Sicarius Soul is the fifth book in a spinoff series. Notwithstanding the two strikes against it, I was determined to 1) deliver a fantastic book with 2) a great cover through 3) an outstanding Scout campaign. And if Kindle Press still says no, it would not be because of something I'd failed to deliver to the best of my ability.

• Hot & Trending: 711 hours. It hit the list within 9 hours of going live, and stayed there the whole way through
  • Final count: 9,485 views
  • Highest view: 689 on Day 1, although 673 on Day 13 came close
  • Lowest view: 137 on Day 24
  • 20 of the 30 days delivered more than 200 views
  • Started at 81% internal, 19% external traffic. By the end, it had shifted to 59% internal, 41% external. It had, on Day 27 actually clocked in at 57%/43% but the last few days of mostly internal views shifted the balance back
  • Of the 3,856 external views, my shortlink (that I used on my social media posts and newsletters) delivered 1,846 views. I did use several advertisers, but I drove about half of the external traffic myself through my existing author platform

I have loads more daily data, and I've reached out to all my advertisers for click-through information to calculate ROI. When I have information, I'll share it!

Great stats for your campaign. Good luck.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24877 on: March 12, 2018, 02:00:31 AM »
It's Monday and I've got a dayshift ahead of me.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

LAST DAY LEFT! Lips of the Sun by W. Town Andrews Jr.
3 days left A Trail of Embers by C.A. Kinnee
3 days left Mystic Evermore by Cecilia Hopkins
3 days left On Trial by Irene Lee
4 days left After the Green Withered by Kristin Ward
10 days left Tuning In: A Novel by Richard Roberts
11 days left Once in an Olive Moon by J.R. Laurence
11 days left On Holy Ground by Louise Cole
12 days left Future Warrior by Lexi Revellian
12 days left A Sensitive Situation by Lee Isserow
13 days left Dreaming of You and Me by Kristy Tate
13 days left Reclamation by Stephen D. Tucker
14 days left Worse Than Wicked by Kathryn Jankowski
14 days left Single and Looking, Daisy by Belinda Austin
14 days left Symphony of Death by Celina Summers
17 days left The Grand Unraveling by L.N. Heintz
17 days left Death In Vermilion by Barbara Elle
17 days left The Moon Thief by M.L. Hamilton
18 days left Bestseller by Carey Lewis
19 days left The Poet and the Muse by Navi Wang
25 days left Orion by Aaron Frale
26 days left Cutting Edges: Or, A Web of Women by Ruth Nestvold

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't d
dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts.
No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

And remember, don't snap my garters.

Offline Louise Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #24878 on: March 12, 2018, 03:01:48 AM »
One slot free so I nominated A Trail of Embers

Published as Louise Cole and as a 'Marisa Hayworth' writer
Louise Cole

Offline Variath

• Ernakulam, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #24879 on: March 12, 2018, 05:25:04 AM »
Just nominated two:
Lips of the Sun by W. Town Andrews Jr.
A Trail of Embers by C.A. Kinnee

Best of luck to Andrews and Kinnee

Offline RuthNestvold

• View Profile
    • Ruth Nestvold's blog
« Reply #24880 on: March 12, 2018, 05:58:53 AM »
I had two slots free, so I nominated these books:

On Trial by Irene Lee

Good luck!

Ruth Nestvold

Blog   Twitter

Award Winning Author of Fantasy & SF

Offline AmWritingIrene

• View Profile
« Reply #24881 on: March 12, 2018, 06:48:33 AM »
I had two slots free, so I nominated these books:

On Trial by Irene Lee

Good luck!

Thank you so much!  :)

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #24882 on: March 12, 2018, 08:03:13 AM »

Nominated :

Fly Girl
Allie's Gift
Leviathan, the Beast Among Us

Good luck!

Offline SueSeabury

• View Profile
    • Amazon Author Page
« Reply #24883 on: March 12, 2018, 11:09:06 AM »
Nominated Fly Girl. Fingers crossed!
Sue Seabury | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline JT Osbourne

• View Profile
« Reply #24884 on: March 12, 2018, 02:16:38 PM »
I'm sure everyone gets this, but I received an email from Kindle Press today asking for my feedback on the Scout process.

I used the comments to try and highlight that books being rejected isn't an ideal outcome for either writers or scouts. The process should be on helping us get to the point where they say yes.

Irrespective of the reasons some shortlisted candidates aren't picked, as has been alluded to a lot on these pages, I get a bunch of emails every week saying books I've nominated haven't been picked - I think I'm 0 for 60 or something at this point. I don't know what the acquisition standards are but I wonder how they expect people to remain engaged in the site's content when nothing is being selected. Loyal scouts will be investing time and energy in the books and getting nothing in return.

Offline Louise Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #24885 on: March 12, 2018, 02:19:32 PM »
Out of interest do you think the nanowrimo sponsorship has been good for Scout? And have any nano books been picked up?

Louise Cole

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #24886 on: March 12, 2018, 03:30:34 PM »
I'm sure everyone gets this, but I received an email from Kindle Press today asking for my feedback on the Scout process.

I used the comments to try and highlight that books being rejected isn't an ideal outcome for either writers or scouts. The process should be on helping us get to the point where they say yes.

Irrespective of the reasons some shortlisted candidates aren't picked, as has been alluded to a lot on these pages, I get a bunch of emails every week saying books I've nominated haven't been picked - I think I'm 0 for 60 or something at this point. I don't know what the acquisition standards are but I wonder how they expect people to remain engaged in the site's content when nothing is being selected. Loyal scouts will be investing time and energy in the books and getting nothing in return.

I am a Scout (edit) so to me not really JT. Most Scouts I have seen have not reviewed books (I am not sure they even read much of what they have won).  I am at 8%(+ maybe) wins. A little low but on par but I pick a ton to move up the LB ranks. Plus I am in the top 100 LB. It is a game to me.  I wish they gave us readers a bit more to monkey with in surveying the field of other readers. But this is okay. We can give plenty of feedback on the books we pick - not that we know it does any good. Most I don't give a lot of feedback but some I do.

I have by far - bought a couple non-winners that were better than those I have seen won or that I can download still that won. I can still go to any book that I saw that won and read the excerpt - and I may wonder why, oh why, was that picked ????

So really, a little more feedback on the page to all readers why this was picked or not would be interesting. Editorial critics corner in a way.

I am sure it is hard for KS (KP) to sort out which books are author pumped and real picks by KS members.  Not sure that matters. But it may.

I see a lot of KS-LB people that do as I do as I raced across the ranks. I pick the best of the closest to EOC ... 20 books for me to pick from. I pick the three that I like best. But only a few are going to expire usually, so I can rotate in and stand a good chance of winning a book. And now there are way fewer winners. In the past I won 7(edit) in a row in less than 2 months. Those days appear over.

KS is supposed to be a readers environment,. not a writers - but it takes both and a lot of both. It was made for that. But Readers and Amazon win mostly - authors now really have to fend for themselves a lot more than before. But I do think it has had a hard time evolving into this and may now have enough mass to do what Amazon wants. They are behaving more and more like a trad publisher - i.e. KP seems to have brought on much stricter standards for picking winners.

Seems an author's pumping got you H&T pretty quick. Maybe there are more KS readers than before and it is harder to be H&T now and stay there.

Readers win, especially if non-winning authors go Indie. Especially if the release of the pub is a $0 promo - you can almost guarantee readers that followed will pick up your book. 

You should have asked that, and pointed it out - that a non-winning author could encourage the book's followers to pick up the book for free. I think that helps everyone.

So if you still have the feedback link ...  ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 04:03:37 PM by Max 007 »

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #24887 on: March 12, 2018, 04:10:55 PM »
Out of interest do you think the nanowrimo sponsorship has been good for Scout? And have any nano books been picked up?

Good - yes.  Picked up - I have no clue. We all just came to understand that the pick-up in new arrivals was due to them. I hope it keeps up. 

Offline townandrews

• View Profile
    • Unheard of Books
« Reply #24888 on: March 12, 2018, 04:52:54 PM »
Had two spots open:

Nominated Lips of the Sun and On Trial

Thank you KrWard

Thanks also to...

Variath
AmWritingIrene
JT Osbourne

It's the last day for Lips of the Sun!

(hope I didn't forget anyone!)

And thanks again to Steve for the daily list I'll be back...nominating, and eventually, another title...

Town
A man, his herd, a horse. A girl, a cop, and a mule. Then, things get complicated.
Lips of the Sun is a candidate on Kindle Scout
W. Town Andrews, Jr | Lips of the Sun

Offline SueSeabury

• View Profile
    • Amazon Author Page
« Reply #24889 on: March 12, 2018, 05:58:12 PM »
Finally got my form letter rejection. No feedback, which was disappointing. Mine was a Nano book, plus it took like forever for them to turn it down, so I was kind of hoping. Ah, well.
Sue Seabury | blog | facebook | twitter

Offline Mark Wakely

• View Profile
    • An Audience For Einstein 10th Anniversary Edition
« Reply #24890 on: March 12, 2018, 06:24:29 PM »
Had three open slots and nominated:

Lips of the Sun by W. Town Andrews Jr.
Mystic Evermore by Cecilia Hopkins

Good luck to all three and all those in the KS waiting room!

Mark

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24891 on: March 12, 2018, 06:35:24 PM »
Finally got my form letter rejection. No feedback, which was disappointing. Mine was a Nano book, plus it took like forever for them to turn it down, so I was kind of hoping. Ah, well.

Sorry yours wasn't picked. Hope you'll let us know when it is launched.

Online TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24892 on: March 12, 2018, 06:40:35 PM »

Being rejected shook my confidence even though I knew they hadn't selected anyone in more than a month. I don't think anyone likes rejection, and it's too bad this is set up so that the most likely outcome is rejection.
Anyway, I stopped moping and published yesterday at $0.99, but I didn't notify my nominators yet because I wanted to set up a giveaway for them. I set that up for tomorrow and Wednesday, and then pushed the KS notify button. It gave me a message saying they're reviewing my request and will get back to me. Does anyone have any info on how fast that might happen since it's not the weekend?
So I don't see any sales yet in my report, but I'm already at #13 in the UK for YA, SF, something, something, aliens. How did that happen? Maybe there's not that much competition in the UK?
I don't expect a lot of reviews from the free giveaway. You can give away a lot of books, and no one leaves a review because only certain kinds of people tend to write them, such as authors who know the importance of them.
So if anyone might have time to write one (hint, hint), my book will be free tomorrow and Wednesday:
US: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BD4NYN2
UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BD4NYN2
Good luck to everyone publishing whether or not you win.  :)

Online ronesa_aveela

• United States
    • View Profile
    • Ronesa Aveela
« Reply #24893 on: March 12, 2018, 06:51:02 PM »

:( It is rather disappointing when they take a long time only to say no.

Offline KrWard

• View Profile
    • Writing and My Three Sons
« Reply #24894 on: March 12, 2018, 06:58:06 PM »

Im sorry to hear that your book was not selected nor did you receive feedback. Are you self publishing right away?

Offline MelanieCellier

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24895 on: March 12, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »
So I don't see any sales yet in my report, but I'm already at #13 in the UK for YA, SF, something, something, aliens. How did that happen? Maybe there's not that much competition in the UK?

That sounds extremely odd. If you have a ranking at all, you should have at least one sale showing on your dashboard. (Or free download if it's a free ranking.) Are you sure you don't have any at all?

Melanie Cellier | Website | Facebook

Offline Lexi Revellian

• London
    • View Profile
    • Lexi Revellian - my writing and other related matters...
« Reply #24896 on: March 13, 2018, 12:15:35 AM »
I am a Scout (edit) so to me not really JT. Most Scouts I have seen have not reviewed books (I am not sure they even read much of what they have won).  I am at 8%(+ maybe) wins. A little low but on par but I pick a ton to move up the LB ranks. Plus I am in the top 100 LB. It is a game to me.  I wish they gave us readers a bit more to monkey with in surveying the field of other readers. But this is okay. We can give plenty of feedback on the books we pick - not that we know it does any good. Most I don't give a lot of feedback but some I do.

I have by far - bought a couple non-winners that were better than those I have seen won or that I can download still that won. I can still go to any book that I saw that won and read the excerpt - and I may wonder why, oh why, was that picked ????

So really, a little more feedback on the page to all readers why this was picked or not would be interesting. Editorial critics corner in a way.

I am sure it is hard for KS (KP) to sort out which books are author pumped and real picks by KS members.  Not sure that matters. But it may.

I see a lot of KS-LB people that do as I do as I raced across the ranks. I pick the best of the closest to EOC ... 20 books for me to pick from. I pick the three that I like best. But only a few are going to expire usually, so I can rotate in and stand a good chance of winning a book. And now there are way fewer winners. In the past I won 7(edit) in a row in less than 2 months. Those days appear over.

Max, this all sounds quite time consuming - is it mostly the 'game' aspect that appeals to you, or winning a large selection of free books, or something else?

It's interesting that people should care about getting to the top of the Leader Board, given there are no prizes for doing so. I remember that when the LB came into being, my rank was 31 or so. Within a week it had gone down to around 250 as Scouts upped their game...

Offline Louise Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #24897 on: March 13, 2018, 02:15:04 AM »
I know of at least one 'Scout' who races through almost all the KP published books leaving a more or less identical review on each one - we've clocked this person leaving as many as 40 reviews in one day! Make of that what you will but I doubt it's of value to authors or other readers.

I don't think KP has tightened its standards for selection - I know lots of very good books by professional writers who have been turned down in the past six months. I don't think this is about quality - I think it's about commercial strategy. I can't pretend to know, even as a KP writer myself, what that commercial strategy is, but it's definitely changed in tone and outlook since Monique left. I'm not saying it is better or worse as a strategy because I can't judge that without knowing what KP's objectives are. But I think it's fair to say we no longer have a sense of KP cultivating a stable of good writers who will keep coming back to them.

I don't believe in the reader-powered publishing thing. This isn't about 'author's pumping their views' - this is about authors proving they know how to market. Which is an essential part of being a successful writer today. You have engage. You have to have a fan base. You have to be active on social media. So to that extent driving traffic to Scout proves you have a skill which is very important in every publisher selection procedure.

How commercially successful each of these books is, depends upon genre as well as individual quality. Romance readers look for something very different to thriller readers and so on. The books sell in different quantities. Some genres do better online than others. I don't think many individual Scouts are qualified to judge every book up there, not least because we haven't read the whole thing, and also because we don't have all the sales data for that genre. There are plenty of books which I would turn my nose up at as a reader but they'll sell truckloads.

Louise Cole

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #24898 on: March 13, 2018, 02:22:03 AM »
Max, this all sounds quite time consuming - is it mostly the 'game' aspect that appeals to you, or winning a large selection of free books, or something else?

It's interesting that people should care about getting to the top of the Leader Board, given there are no prizes for doing so. I remember that when the LB came into being, my rank was 31 or so. Within a week it had gone down to around 250 as Scouts upped their game...

Same thing happened to me. 70s to 300s ... had to battle back to less than 100. Took a long time. What happened is when KS turned on where Scouts could rank among themselves and see their position, there was a slow pile on in the sign up ... as they signed up your position moved down as higher rankers signed up to the LB.

Game aspect is cool enough, sort of strange, votes may count, I like to read and see what is there. I picked up a couple I really liked. So it is worth it to play.

I've seen you thru the race too, and I know you from Write On. The only goal for me is now to stay in the top 100.

The game lacks some standing or more involvement for Scouts other than just to vote, we need some bullet driven feedback on the books as to their stats Amazon is willing to share or something - I do do the bullets - be we do not get the see the results other than what is H&T and what is in what genres -  those things that can be measured in terms of books and their position and why Scouts picked them sort of thing. 

I might be tempted to change my pick if I knew a little more. But I would also might say, "Really, you actually liked that?"

You get some stats as a writer on your submission. I write, but what I do is way under 50000 words.  Half that tops. I do novelettes and novellas.

I do get tired of seeing the same top 10 people. That is hardly a goal.  Their rank is so high it could take years to get there. Big deal. As you say there is no prize for that really. It is interesting to see those other 4 people around my rank. Do they have picks and what? What genre do they like the most?  What is their % wins?

It is not so time consuming.  A few minutes each day.  Half my picks I do read some of the excerpts - always the liner, blub and 600 words of the excerpt. If I truly picked what I was REAL interested in. I would be still in the 300s.  Some Scouts do that. A lot do like me.  I've seen quite a few that have the same exact picks I do. They are hard to pass.

KS gives Scouts a big bump in rank when we give a review.  As I have said, those seem to be rare from what I see.

I pick what I think is the best. Not that I will read it. Some I read maybe only a part of it. The ones I certainly like, the except on a no win. And If they are free right after it does not win and I liked it I would pick it up and review it. But I have so many I have picked and I don't always follow up on all of them. If I just knew they were free right after the campaign and did not win and I was real interested in a way ... I would likely pick it up ... so authors need a way to let KS know and KS let the followers know it is available for free for a bit ... you would likely get more follow thru and followers pick it up and get more reviews.

I have only bought a couple I found that were fantastic as the excerpts were great to me. So forking out money is rare for me. Or anyone I bet that is a Scout. There are so many books that come by.

With KS KP becoming much more selective. Wins will be a lot harder. But Amazon does want non-winners to go Indie I am sure. Money in the bank for Amazon either way. 

Me? I am out for a good read as a Scout. Maybe rank will mean something in the future. But you are right. Right now it does not mean much. As far as rank goes, it is an easy simple game to find good new books you might like as a reader. And a Scout helps an author and you have your stats which are super interesting to you. Scouts don't get much. We get some and I like to compare my results to other Scouts around me that I can see. But there is not much there to compare. 

How is TR3 doing?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 02:31:40 AM by Max 007 »

Offline Louise Cole

• View Profile
« Reply #24899 on: March 13, 2018, 02:46:19 AM »
I don't think you'll ever get public comments about work from Amazon, or stats made public - it would be far too difficult not to infringe on the author's privacy and commercially sensitive data.

"With KS KP becoming much more selective. Wins will be a lot harder. " I don't think it is necessarily becoming more selective. When I did Scout last year it had a pick up rate of about 1% I think. What it has done is change its strategy and let in an awful lot more books.

"forking out money is rare for me. Or anyone I bet that is a Scout." And that right there is a huge flaw in this whole system. Amazon and authors both need book *sales*. People who are not prepared to buy books and are only choosing free ones are a very poor indicator of whether something will sell. I bet if you were having to pay even $1 for every pick, you would choose hardly any of these books. Real buyers are very selective.

"If I just knew they were free right after the campaign and did not win and I was real interested in a way ... I would likely pick it up ... so authors need a way to let KS know and KS let the followers know it is available for free for a bit" 1. wholesale free book giveaways isn't a great strategy for authors but 2. Amazon would never help us do this. It doesn't like authors making books free and tightly controls it. The only way you can make your book free for more than the five days on Kindle Select is to force Amazon to price match which it will resist. And one of the great gains for Amazon with Scout is all those accounts it draws in - Amazon's customers and data, not ours. No way it's going to share such a valuable commercial resource even if it had permission to.

Louise Cole

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac