Author Topic: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)  (Read 1986807 times)  

Offline ronesa_aveela

• United States
    • View Profile
    • Ronesa Aveela
Re: Kindle Scout experiences & Nomination Requests (MERGED)
« Reply #24925 on: March 13, 2018, 06:18:23 PM »
Got it on KU, and it's in my line to read.

Other people who have pre-orders: If you post again when your book goes live, I can get it on KU, but KU doesn't work for pre-orders.
Dragon Village is already past pre-order. :) But if you like MG fantasy, it's on KU, at least for now. I have to see how well that goes the first 3 months, then might take it off Kindle Select and publish it outside of Amazon, as well.

Online TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24926 on: March 13, 2018, 06:20:42 PM »
That sounds extremely odd. If you have a ranking at all, you should have at least one sale showing on your dashboard. (Or free download if it's a free ranking.) Are you sure you don't have any at all?

I know it was there and I wasn't just seeing things - I looked a few times, but now that my book is free today and tomorrow, only free store stats are showing, and it looks like nothing from UK so far. The stats on the Amazon book page and my report don't seem to line up, I've noticed today. There's at least a 3-hour lag on the Amazon stats page. So maybe it takes awhile for UK sales to show up? or maybe it was some kind of mistake made by Amazon. I won't find out till Thursday when my book's not free anymore.

I was happy to see that KS sent out notifications today, while I still have it free, that my book was published. But I didn't say in my thank you letter that it would be free, and I wonder if a lot of people will ignore the notification because they don't know it's free. I also posted on FB and Twitter, but that doesn't let any internal scout people know. Oh well - I was learning as I went along and too stressed during the waiting room time to do anything constructive.

Anyway, I've been reading the discussions about books not being selected lately. My guess is it has to do with the $1500. Maybe they have a limited amount of funds, and they've used it all up, and now have to wait till books sell and fund the program again? I personally think they should get rid of that part of it. I think people care more about the recognition of winning than a small amount of money that you can't live on for 3 months (more till your book sells). They should just offer free promotion and AMS for 50%. Then they could pick a lot more books. There would be no real cost to them except marketers' time, I guess. Just my thoughts - if anyone is listening...

Online TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24927 on: March 13, 2018, 06:23:23 PM »
If youre interested, Wards and Wonders is in KU. Im finally starting to get some page reads.

Got it. In line to read after Ancient Tripod of Peace.

Online TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24928 on: March 13, 2018, 06:25:57 PM »
Dragon Village is already past pre-order. :) But if you like MG fantasy, it's on KU, at least for now. I have to see how well that goes the first 3 months, then might take it off Kindle Select and publish it outside of Amazon, as well.

Got it. In line after others.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24929 on: March 13, 2018, 06:44:13 PM »
Okay - so I had to actually try to post that list FOUR TIMES! The power went out during the first attempt. It came back on and i tried to repost and wound up screwing up some of the days left. Then the power went out again.

I went downstairs. The power went back on again. I decided to spend some time with my wife who was finally getting over a weather-induced migraine. Then, after eating our supper and watching an episode of MINDHUNTERS on Netflix (which is freaking awesome, by the way) I came back here and FINALLY got the post on correctly.

The wind is still howling outside like a wolf who has swallowed a sixteen hole chromatic harmonica beneath a full moon - so I have no idea if we are going to wake up with power or not.

Wish me luck.

Offline KrWard

• View Profile
    • Writing and My Three Sons
« Reply #24930 on: March 13, 2018, 06:57:03 PM »
Okay - so I had to actually try to post that list FOUR TIMES! The power went out during the first attempt. It came back on and i tried to repost and wound up screwing up some of the days left. Then the power went out again.

I went downstairs. The power went back on again. I decided to spend some time with my wife who was finally getting over a weather-induced migraine. Then, after eating our supper and watching an episode of MINDHUNTERS on Netflix (which is freaking awesome, by the way) I came back here and FINALLY got the post on correctly.

The wind is still howling outside like a wolf who has swallowed a sixteen hole chromatic harmonica beneath a full moon - so I have no idea if we are going to wake up with power or not.

Wish me luck.

Its been a crazy weather day in the northeast! Heres hoping there wont be a fourth noreaster. Hope your power holds out, Steve!

Offline Cecelia

• Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24931 on: March 13, 2018, 06:57:40 PM »

I was happy to see that KS sent out notifications today, while I still have it free, that my book was published. But I didn't say in my thank you letter that it would be free, and I wonder if a lot of people will ignore the notification because they don't know it's free. I also posted on FB and Twitter, but that doesn't let any internal scout people know. Oh well - I was learning as I went along and too stressed during the waiting room time to do anything constructive.

My kindle keeps losing signal or something today, but I've read a few pages and adore your telepathic cat.

Online TrishaMcNary

• View Profile
« Reply #24932 on: March 13, 2018, 07:03:59 PM »
My kindle keeps losing signal or something today, but I've read a few pages and adore your telepathic cat.

Thank you! And that reminded me I wanted to nominate your book. I have a vampire comedy (with a cat, of course) partly started, but I need to read some more vampire books for inspiration. I'm deciding whether to finish that book next for a break or go on with my series, or both.

Offline ronesa_aveela

• United States
    • View Profile
    • Ronesa Aveela
« Reply #24933 on: March 13, 2018, 07:36:08 PM »
Got it. In line after others.
Thank you. I have yours in my list, too.

Offline ronesa_aveela

• United States
    • View Profile
    • Ronesa Aveela
« Reply #24934 on: March 13, 2018, 07:38:08 PM »

Wish me luck.

Yikes. Luckily, I live far enough inland (I think). Only lots of snow so far.

Offline AmWritingIrene

• View Profile
« Reply #24935 on: March 13, 2018, 08:31:19 PM »
Okay, so it's Tuesday. There is a WHOLE lot of white stuff coming down outside my window. Our office closed early today, a half an hour after my shift ended.

I typed this about two hours ago and then the power died. It's back now and I am going to finish this up while I can.

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

2 days left A Trail of Embers by C.A. Kinnee
2 days left Mystic Evermore by Cecilia Hopkins
2 days left On Trial by Irene Lee
3 days left After the Green Withered by Kristin Ward
9 days left Tuning In: A Novel by Richard Roberts
10 days left Once in an Olive Moon by J.R. Laurence
10 days left On Holy Ground by Louise Cole
11 days left Future Warrior by Lexi Revellian
11 days left A Sensitive Situation by Lee Isserow
12 days left Dreaming of You and Me by Kristy Tate
12 days left Reclamation by Stephen D. Tucker
13 days left Worse Than Wicked by Kathryn Jankowski
13 days left Single and Looking, Daisy by Belinda Austin
13 days left Symphony of Death by Celina Summers
16 days left The Grand Unraveling by L.N. Heintz
16 days left Death In Vermilion by Barbara Elle
16 days left The Moon Thief by M.L. Hamilton
17 days left Bestseller by Carey Lewis
18 days left The Poet and the Muse by Navi Wang
24 days left Orion by Aaron Frale
25 days left Cutting Edges: Or, A Web of Women by Ruth Nestvold

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't d
dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts.
No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

And remember, keep your candles close to the computer.
Thank you
Thank you, Steve! Much appreciated.

Offline AmWritingIrene

• View Profile
« Reply #24936 on: March 13, 2018, 08:33:26 PM »
I had two slots and nominationed:
Trail of Embers
Mystic Evermore

Good luck!

Offline dbhfiction

• View Profile
« Reply #24937 on: March 13, 2018, 10:13:22 PM »
I just started a campaign for my book (a psychological/paranormal thriller titled My Hungry Friend) and I hear this is the place to come to learn how to run a campaign. Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1GRZ504YA452D

Offline Variath

• Ernakulam, India
    • View Profile
« Reply #24938 on: March 13, 2018, 11:18:47 PM »
Thanks to all who nominated my book. I have got the rejection letter very soon this time but no review mail. I thin my book is not short listed. The book will be launched through KDP soon.

One slot was free and nominated: Mystic Evermore by Cecilia Hopkins
Best of luck.

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • Kindle Scout Kahuna since 2015
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
« Reply #24939 on: March 14, 2018, 01:33:26 AM »
It's Wednesday. We've got power and the snow that fell was washed away by the driving rain. I'm not sure WHAT the snowplows in the shopping center next door have been pushing around since 4am. All right, I know that they're throwing salt, just in case of slipping - but man, I wish they'd just hire a few more dog-bodies, and raid the food court for salt packages...

So let's get on with today's list, shall we?

Remember - the campaigns that need nominations the most are the ones that are closest to the LAST DAY LEFT, 1 day left, 2 days left etc.

Updated List

1 day left A Trail of Embers by C.A. Kinnee
1 day left Mystic Evermore by Cecilia Hopkins
1 day left On Trial by Irene Lee
2 days left After the Green Withered by Kristin Ward
8 days left Tuning In: A Novel by Richard Roberts
9 days left Once in an Olive Moon by J.R. Laurence
9 days left On Holy Ground by Louise Cole
10 days left Future Warrior by Lexi Revellian
10 days left A Sensitive Situation by Lee Isserow
11 days left Dreaming of You and Me by Kristy Tate
11 days left Reclamation by Stephen D. Tucker
12 days left Worse Than Wicked by Kathryn Jankowski
12 days left Single and Looking, Daisy by Belinda Austin
12 days left Symphony of Death by Celina Summers
15 days left The Grand Unraveling by L.N. Heintz
15 days left Death In Vermilion by Barbara Elle
15 days left The Moon Thief by M.L. Hamilton
16 days left Bestseller by Carey Lewis
17 days left The Poet and the Muse by Navi Wang
23 days left Orion by Aaron Frale
24 days left Cutting Edges: Or, A Web of Women by Ruth Nestvold

I put this list up every morning and I strive to keep it up-to-date so that this thread needn't d
dissolve into a flurry of "NOMINATE MY BOOK, NOMINATE MY BOOK" posts.
No one is under any obligation to nominate any of these books. I'm just trying to keep the thread clear of unnecessary clutter. This way once a day there is a complete list of current candidates and folks can readily check out the kboards members who have a book in the running and can make up their own mind. I try and stay nonpartisan about it - which is why I don't comment on any particular book by title. I just keep the list.

If I have missed anyone please let me know either with a PM or by posting a link here in the thread.

Happy scouting, folks!

PS: Don't forget, if you HAVEN'T been selected for Kindle Scout and you are wondering what to do next you can get just as much help from the "My Book Wasn't Accepted For Kindle Scout - Now What?" thread. Even if you already know what you are going to do I guarantee you'll get an awful lot of support from the gang over there!

Check it out - https://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,243477.0.html

Finally, Stephen Hawkings passed away a few hours ago. And it's National Pi Day. And it's Albert Einstien's birthday.

Offline BillyDeCarlo

• View Profile
    • Billy DeCarlo, Author
« Reply #24940 on: March 14, 2018, 04:42:10 AM »
Hello KS Authors. I'm back in the game. I put my debut novel on KS back in April. I didn't get selected but got a lot of noms/views and finished the trilogy, now wide.

My campaign for the first book in my new hard sci-fi trilogy went live today. I'm reading through the last pages of this thread to see what's changed in a year. I forget, do Scout readers get to read the whole book, or is it just the excerpt for everyone?

Anyway, Steve please add me to your list:

SPED-BOT: DroidMesh Trilogy Book 1
A little Howey, a little Asimov, a lot of fun.

The remnants of human civilization create their own utopia on an alien planet. A brilliant robotic scientist breaks the rules in an attempt to make his impaired son whole. Meshing android and human minds is considered impossible, a societal taboo, and illegal. Can the sorrow of a father, the challenge of a feat never accomplished, and the promise of normalcy for a son who has never known it motivate a man beyond his ethical boundaries? What happens when it all goes wrong?

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/199RMI875M8U9

I just nominated:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 04:48:36 AM by BillyDeCarlo »
SPED-BOT, DroidMesh Book I: 95%

LOVE-BOT, DroidMesh Book II: 71%

WAR-BOT, DroidMesh Book III: 0%
Vigilante Angels Series Books I, II, III, boxed set all available WIDE!
Billy DeCarlo | Website/blog | Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Amazon | BookBub | Goodreads | LibraryThing | Patreon

Offline Jada Ryker

• Bardstown, Kentucky
  • Backpacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #24941 on: March 14, 2018, 06:13:06 AM »
Hi all. I got an interesting email today and wondered if any of you could give me insight as Im so green in the realm of publishing. Ive got three days left on my campaign and seriously think Ill get a rejection, especially considering the slew of rejections lately for books that have had exceptional reader responses. Im obviously planning to self publish but would love to have a good publisher if possible.

So today, I got an email from pulsepub.net basically saying they like what theyve seen of my writing (could be from my pitmad submission) and think I would be a good fit for their publication. I cant find much about them and their website is rather meh. Anyone else have this experience? Anyone else been approached by them?

I greatly appreciate any insight!

Thank you!!!!
Kristin

I ran my last campaign about a year ago. Pulse was contacting people with an active campaign. It appeared to be a form email, stated it liked the writing, and signed from their intern. I decided not to respond, but you may have a different take.

Offline kalencap

• Columbus, OH
    • View Profile
« Reply #24942 on: March 14, 2018, 06:31:48 AM »
Trisha, thanks for getting "The Ancient Tripod of Peace" on KU. Glad to know that it is working properly.

Also, the line of yours - "vampire comedy (with cats, of course)" is great!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 06:35:55 AM by kalencap »

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #24943 on: March 14, 2018, 06:42:10 AM »
Thank you! And that reminded me I wanted to nominate your book. I have a vampire comedy (with a cat, of course) partly started, but I need to read some more vampire books for inspiration. I'm deciding whether to finish that book next for a break or go on with my series, or both.
While it is important to capitalize on the success of earlier series books, it's also good from a promotional standpoint to have more than one series (or standalone) in play. (From your signature, it looks as if you might have two.) That's because promoters generally will only take books that are first-in-series or standalone. One series=only one entry point for readers and only one book to promote. I'm thinking the minimum ideal, which I'm getting close to achieving, is four series, enabling me to promo the first book in each once every four months. That also means I'll have some kind of promotion going more or less continuously. (I'm not a fast writer, so it's taken me more than five years to get to that point.)

Multiple series also gives one the possibility of reaching the widest possible audience. Some of them can be in KU and some wide. That gives you the best of both worlds, at least for the moment.

The only problem with that approach is that it does take longer to get out the next volume in each series. However, four (or more) series for promotional purposes doesn't mean all of them are still being added to. I'm now thinking more in terms of trilogies than long series, which means I probably want have more than three actively expanding at any one time.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline AmWritingIrene

• View Profile
« Reply #24944 on: March 14, 2018, 07:22:59 AM »
Hello KS Authors. I'm back in the game. I put my debut novel on KS back in April. I didn't get selected but got a lot of noms/views and finished the trilogy, now wide.

My campaign for the first book in my new hard sci-fi trilogy went live today. I'm reading through the last pages of this thread to see what's changed in a year. I forget, do Scout readers get to read the whole book, or is it just the excerpt for everyone?

Anyway, Steve please add me to your list:

SPED-BOT: DroidMesh Trilogy Book 1
A little Howey, a little Asimov, a lot of fun.

The remnants of human civilization create their own utopia on an alien planet. A brilliant robotic scientist breaks the rules in an attempt to make his impaired son whole. Meshing android and human minds is considered impossible, a societal taboo, and illegal. Can the sorrow of a father, the challenge of a feat never accomplished, and the promise of normalcy for a son who has never known it motivate a man beyond his ethical boundaries? What happens when it all goes wrong?

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/199RMI875M8U9

I just nominated:

Thank you for the nomination!

Not sure, but I think everyone only gets to see the excerpts.

Offline Bill Hiatt

• California
    • View Profile
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #24945 on: March 14, 2018, 08:01:25 AM »
Not sure, but I think everyone only gets to see the excerpts.
That's right.

It wouldn't be much of an incentive for nominators to get a free book if they could read the whole thing through KS before the campaign is even over (though I'm not sure how many people would do that).

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Offline AmWritingIrene

• View Profile
« Reply #24946 on: March 14, 2018, 08:11:01 AM »
That's right.

It wouldn't be much of an incentive for nominators to get a free book if they could read the whole thing through KS before the campaign is even over (though I'm not sure how many people would do that).

Lol, yes, good point.

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24947 on: March 14, 2018, 08:29:02 AM »
Got it. In line to read after Ancient Tripod of Peace.

Thanks. Much appreciated. Once you finish it, PM me and I'll send you my KS editorial letter, if you like. Their comments and suggestions will make more sense then. Based on their comments, I added a few lines of explanation here and there. Some of their suggestions didn't fit with my vision for this book or the next in the series, so I didn't make any major changes.     

Offline Max 007

• View Profile
« Reply #24948 on: March 14, 2018, 08:59:29 AM »

Nominated :

A Trail of Embers
Witch War
Shiver the Moon

Good luck!

Offline Kay7979

• Western NY
    • View Profile
    • Kay L Ling
« Reply #24949 on: March 14, 2018, 09:08:48 AM »

. . . While it is important to capitalize on the success of earlier series books, it's also good from a promotional standpoint to have more than one series (or standalone) in play. (From your signature, it looks as if you might have two.) That's because promoters generally will only take books that are first-in-series or standalone. One series=only one entry point for readers and only one book to promote . . .

. . . I'm now thinking more in terms of trilogies than long series, which means I probably want have more than three actively expanding at any one time. . . .

I've done okay promoting book two, hoping readers go back and pick up the first book. It doesn't work so well with book three. I've also discounted one and two at the same time. Right now, I have book one at $0.99 in all markets and book two on a Kindle Countdown deal at $0.99 in the U.S. and the U.K. In December, I ran a triple KCD with books one and three at $0.99 and book two at $1.99. That way, the whole set equaled the typical price of one book. I actually made money on that promo, which is hard to do these days. The increased KU page reads were an added bonus.

Like you, I like the idea of multiple trilogies. I was hoping that creating a spinoff series would provide the second entry point you mention. My first trilogy are portal stories that revolve around human characters trying to liberate the gnomes from an oppressive ruler and the aftermath of overthrowing her. The spinoff series takes place entirely in the gnome world, and most of the viewpoint characters are gnomes. It seemed a natural place in the story to make the break. I don't try to rehash the entire backstory at the beginning of the new series. Some points will be covered in upcoming books, but if readers are curious about people and events alluded to, they can go back and read the first series, and I hope they will. Kindle Scout editors were a bit wary about this approach, so only time will tell if I outsmarted myself by creating two series instead of one long one.           
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:10:33 AM by Kay7979 »