KB Featured
Grey Daze: A Lance Underphal Mystery
by Michael Allan Scott

Kindle Edition published 2015-03-29
Bestseller ranking: 167157

Product Description
An IAN Book of the Year Finalist and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the third book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Based on real events, this is one of those dark, disturbing novels that keeps you turning pages.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

It's a mystery- Something is wrong. As Lance Underphal pads softly across the cold flagstone, he hears her weeping. She is on her knees, hunched over in the middle of the room, her back to him, facing the dark fireplace. Something is very wrong. Lance wants to rush to her, but can't. In a hoarse whisper, he says, "Callie?" She lets out a mournful wail from deep within as she turns, their infant son in her arms, blue and still. He reels from the blow. How can this be? They don't have a son.

Author Topic: Third Book Launch Promo [***FINAL END-OF-TAIL REPORT***]  (Read 10374 times)  

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
Third Book Launch Promo [***FINAL END-OF-TAIL REPORT***]
« on: May 18, 2015, 01:43:55 AM »
EDIT: I'm keeping this thread updated with weekly reports to show the tail from the promo.

I've also detailed a Countdown promo on The Plains of Kallanash from 1-7 June.

Another day, another promo...

Background: The Mages of Bennamore is epic fantasy with added romance, a stand-alone, but all the books are set in the same world. Book 1 released last September with no promo and sank without trace. Book 2 released in January with a blog tour and 12 days of promo, and did better (300 sales/borrows). It still has a few sales/borrows a day.

Strategy: Not to break records, or hit the stratosphere, but to produce sustained sales over a 7-day period, with the aim of achieving a solid ranking for the 30-day Hot New Releases window. I've chosen 7 of my best previous ad sites, to end with ENT. I was rejected by both Midlist (fully booked on date) and Booksends (new release) for day 4, so I've filled in the hole mid-campaign with a number of smaller sites.

Pricing: Total spend: $245. Promoted book is $0.99 (royalty of 35%). I don't expect to recover the cost fully (700 books? 100/day? I don't think so), but there should be some sell-through to the other two books at $3.99. And a tail! Please let there be a nice tail.

Starting position: Promoted book had 34 pre-orders, and a rank of 115,449 at launch. Book 1 is ranked 135,320. Book 2 is ranked 75,247.

Fri 15 May:   launch; no ads [Sales: 7; borrows: 4 (not counting pre-orders)]
Sat 16 May:   no ads; social [Sales: 7; borrows: 2]
Sun 17 May:    no ads; social [Sales: 4; borrows: 4] Rank is 26,303 before promos start.
Mon 18 May:   day 1: GenrePulse $24 (20% discount) [Sales: 6; borrows: 3] {Previous: 23}
Tue 19 May:   day 2: Bknights $21 [Sales: 14; borrows: 4] {Previous: 22}
Wed 20 May:   day 3: BargainBooksy $40 [Sales: 29; borrows: 2] {Previous: 38}
Thu 21 May:    day 4: RobinReads $10; SweetFreeBooks $5; Booktastik $5; BettyBookFreak Free; Ebooksoda $10
                                   AwesomeGang $10 [Sales: 30; borrows: 2]
Fri 22 May:    day 5: EreaderCafe $25 [Sales: 13; borrows: 1]{Previous: 51}
Sat 23 May:    day 6: OHFB $75 [Sales: 39; borrows: 3]{Previous: 48, 79}
Sun 24 May:    day 7: ENT $20 [Sales: 125; borrows: 8]{Previous: 80}
Mon 25 May:    day 8: Pretty-hot.com, Bookreadermagazine.com, DiscountBookman.com All free (thank you, Vinny!) [Sales: 18; borrows: 2]
Tue 26 May: price goes to $3.99

Summary: sales: 274; borrows: 25

Well, I didn't recover the cost, but the surprisingly strong ending got well on the way. The spectacular day 7 was a happy collision of events: ENT + the second-day bounce from OHFB + free day for The Fire Mages (picked up by Pixel of Ink) + a mention of all the books on Reddit. The promoted book (The Mages of Bennamore) reached a high point ranking of 1,576 paid, #7 in the Teens Sword & Sorcery sub-cat.

Countdown promo for The Plains of Kallanash: 1-7 June; total spend: $139]

Slipping this in before the KDP Select renewal on 9th June. Only objective is a few extra sales, and maybe a new review or two. In the week before the promo, daily sales/borrows were 7 per day, so any increase on that is a win. Starting rank is around 22K.

Mon 1 June:     Day 1: Bknights $21 [Sales: 20; borrows: 3] {Previous: 22, 26, 14}
Tue 2 June:      Day 2: BookBarbarian $8: [Sales: 21; borrows: 9]
Wed 3 June:     Day 3: FKBT $25: [Sales: 24; borrows: 4] {Previous: 16, 35}
Thu 4 June:      Day 4: Booksends $ $25: [Sales: 33; borrows: 11] {Previous: 47}
Fri 5 June:        Day 5: BargainBooksy $40: [Sales: 22; borrows: 13] {Previous: 38, 29}
Sat 6 June:       Day 6: ENT $20: [Sales: 41; borrows: 6] {Previous: 80, 125}
Sun 7 June:      Day 7: No ads [Sales: 27; borrows: 8]

Summary: sales: 188; borrows: 54

This is an improvement on the previous countdown for Kallanash, which managed 135 sales and 15 borrows, but then I only had 4 days of ads that time. Sales were definitely not stellar, but solid on every day of the promo, and got my rank from 22K to 4K, so I'm very happy with that.

Follow-on

For those who are interested, I'll post weekly summaries here so you can see how the tail plays out. Before the launch and promo, daily sales averaged about 5.

Week 0 (promo week): 52 sales/borrows per day, over all 3 books.
Week 1: 50 sales/borrows per day (but sales are down, borrows are up).
Week 2: 79 sales/borrows per day (but 34 are from the countdown, so actually 45, down a little from week 1).
Week 3: 50 sales/borrows per day.
Week 4: 30 sales/borrows per day.
Week 5: 24 sales/borrows per day.
Week 6: 19 sales/borrows per day; 7 sales per day after borrows stopped on July 1st.
Week 7: 5 sales/day, plus unknown number of borrows (used to be twice sales or more but who can say?)
Week 8: 4 sales/day, plus steady pages read

To be continued...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:42:47 AM by PaulineMRoss »

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 58 and counting...

Offline Paul K

• New Zealand
    • View Profile
Re: Third Book Launch Promo [to be updated daily]
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2015, 01:51:56 AM »
Good luck Pauline! Kick some arse.
Lockdown - First Draft: 100%

Ghost - First Draft: 18%
Paul Kleynhans | Blog | Twitter

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 01:53:44 AM »
This is in many ways a repeat of the launch of The Fire Mages back in January, but with a few changes. Then, I had a blog tour, 12 days of promo and a Goodreads giveaway going on. This time, only 7 days of promo, no giveaway, no blog tour.

And immediately I see a difference. The Fire Mages sold 20+ books per day before the promo even started (excluding pre-orders). This book - only 6 per day. No idea why, but I suspect the Goodreads giveaway.

Another difference, this book had 34 pre-orders, compared with 19 for book 2 and 12 for book 1. So creeping in the right direction.

The shorter promo this time is an attempt to preserve my sanity.  :D However, I've chosen sites which have performed well for my books before, so we'll see.

First out of the gate is GenrePulse, who brought in 23 sales for the previous book.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 

Offline smikeo

• View Profile
    • Happily Writing
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2015, 01:54:07 AM »
Awesome Pauline. I'm betting that you will pay back the promo with the borrows generated during its run.
Good luck!

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2015, 01:54:36 AM »
Good luck Pauline! Kick some arse.

LOL. Arse-kicking underway (I hope).

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2015, 01:56:06 AM »
Awesome Pauline. I'm betting that you will pay back the promo with the borrows generated during its run.
Good luck!

Thanks! I don't expect to pay it back during the promo, but a couple of weeks at full price afterwards should do it (hopefully).

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2015, 11:55:58 AM »
Hi Pauline

Just wanted to confirm your listing on Awesomegang. I have been having problems with the confirmation email going out since we changed to a new and faster service a few weeks ago. You are all set up and ready to go.

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 12:08:22 PM »
Hi Pauline

Just wanted to confirm your listing on Awesomegang. I have been having problems with the confirmation email going out since we changed to a new and faster service a few weeks ago. You are all set up and ready to go.

Thank you so much! I was pretty sure it was OK, but it's nice to have that reassurance.

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 12:37:45 PM »
You should of got a confirmation right after you submitted. You can always email me and ask to confirm also. :)

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 01:01:49 PM »
You should of got a confirmation right after you submitted. You can always email me and ask to confirm also. :)

Yeah, should have done that. :)

Offline Chris Fox

• Mill Valley, CA
    • View Profile
    • Chris Fox Writes
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2015, 03:35:05 PM »
I still can't believe how quickly you've gotten three books out, Pauline. Nice work.

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2015, 03:42:25 PM »
Is OHFB a good one? It's not talked about very often, and $75 is a bit pricy. I don't mind paying it, but it's 215 $0.99 books to break even (112 in select, I guess). I know there's the add-on sales for other books, etc, but if it's a good seller I'd love to try them.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline AYClaudy

• View Profile
    • Ashley Claudy
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2015, 03:53:25 PM »
Is OHFB a good one? It's not talked about very often, and $75 is a bit pricy. I don't mind paying it, but it's 215 $0.99 books to break even (112 in select, I guess). I know there's the add-on sales for other books, etc, but if it's a good seller I'd love to try them.

I'm curious about them too. I keep eyeing them, but never took the plunge. Very interested to see how this all goes!

Good Luck, you've got a good line up!

Ashley Claudy | Facebook | Twitter | Website

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2015, 04:10:38 PM »
This is in many ways a repeat of the launch of The Fire Mages back in January, but with a few changes. Then, I had a blog tour, 12 days of promo and a Goodreads giveaway going on. This time, only 7 days of promo, no giveaway, no blog tour.

And immediately I see a difference. The Fire Mages sold 20+ books per day before the promo even started (excluding pre-orders). This book - only 6 per day. No idea why, but I suspect the Goodreads giveaway.

Another difference, this book had 34 pre-orders, compared with 19 for book 2 and 12 for book 1. So creeping in the right direction.

The shorter promo this time is an attempt to preserve my sanity.  :D However, I've chosen sites which have performed well for my books before, so we'll see.

First out of the gate is GenrePulse, who brought in 23 sales for the previous book.

Pauline,

I really like the heads up on your prior promos results (even though I have the thread bookmarked, it will save me time looking it up LOL) so do you think you can do that with your updates?  List your previous book's sales with each day?

Good luck and as Fox said, great job on getting that many books out as quickly as you did.

Regards,
SM

Offline Marina Finlayson

• Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
    • Marina Finlayson
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2015, 05:07:13 PM »
Good luck, Pauline!

That's a good idea about running a Goodreads giveaway at the same time. I hope with my next book launch I will have the paperback ready to go in time to try that.

Marina Finlayson | Website | Twitter | Goodreads | Facebook | Instagram

Offline jakedfw

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2015, 05:50:34 PM »
Go Pauline go!

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »

I've used them twice now, and they gave me sales of 48 and 79 respectively, plus a very healthy second-day bounce (29 and 44 respectively). So, expensive, yes, but very effective for my particular books/genre (YMMV).

BUT they have a free option, too. Obviously there's no guarantee, but it's definitely well worth applying.

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2015, 09:18:50 PM »
I still can't believe how quickly you've gotten three books out, Pauline. Nice work.

Ah, but I had two-and-three-quarters written before the first was even released. That makes it easier.  ;D I'm slowing down a bit now.

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2015, 09:19:59 PM »
I really like the heads up on your prior promos results (even though I have the thread bookmarked, it will save me time looking it up LOL) so do you think you can do that with your updates?  List your previous book's sales with each day?

Good idea. Will do, Salvador.

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2015, 01:18:28 AM »
Yesterday was a bust, promo-wise. I had GenrePulse booked for the full package, but I never received the kickoff email, sales were normal, so I assume the ad never ran. I've emailed James, and maybe he'll reschedule.

I still had 9 sales/borrows, but rank is slipping down into the 30K range.

Today is Bknights, which always does well for me, so let's hope the tradition holds.

[UPDATE] James replied, the ad DID run, and I have a link showing 100+ clicks. Even so, the 6 sales yesterday is barely better than the 4 I had the previous day, so I'm still calling it a bust. However, GenrePulse ads tend to have legs, so if there are good sales before Bknights kicks off, I'll let you all know.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 04:48:37 AM by PaulineMRoss »

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2015, 07:55:27 AM »
Thanks for updating!  Following very closely (but not too close) but close enough   :P

Offline Augusta Blythe

• I'm the lyrical Jesse James.
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2015, 08:32:23 AM »
Don't worry about today. Based on your schedule, you've got plenty of bigger sales days coming up!

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2015, 09:12:28 AM »
Don't worry about today. Based on your schedule, you've got plenty of bigger sales days coming up!

Yeah, I tried to arrange them in order of expected sales - hence ENT at the end. ;D We'll see how that works out...

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2015, 01:38:13 AM »
Yesterday was Bknights, and I had 14 sales plus 4 borrows: solid, if not spectacular. On the previous launch, Bknights brought in 22 sales and got me to an 8K ranking. This time, the book is barely breaking 20K. However, I then had a run of not-so-good days last time, and I'm hoping that won't happen this time. Steadily rising sales, that's the objective!

Today is BargainBooksy, who brought in 38 sales at my previous launch promo.

Offline Vinny OHare

• New York City
    • View Profile
    • Awesomegang
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2015, 03:00:22 AM »
I just saw that your promo isn't going exactly as well as you expected so far. Since you have no ads running on May 25th the day before your book goes back to normal price I decided to do something about this. You now have featured ads on Pretty-hot.com - Bookreadermagazine.com and Discountbookman.com for the 25th.

Hopefully we can maintain whatever tale you get from ENT and bring it to your full price the next day with some momentum. :)