Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?
KB Featured
TBD
by TBD

$0.00
Kindle Edition published 2016-01-12
Bestseller ranking: 757432

Product Description
With the odd disappearance of her parents, Gussie Gibson has lived her entire life with her granny on a peaceful pecan orchard, owned by the meanest man in all of Georgia—Mr. J.P. Combs. Granny teaches Gussie many valuable life lessons as a black woman growing up in the still-segregated south. Mr. Combs is an evil underhanded banker who takes liberties beyond his privilege. When Granny dies, Combs informs Gussie she owes him back rent—but he wants much more than money for payment—and more than Gussie can live with.
After defending herself against his sexual advances, Gussie flees to escape certain vigilante justice when she meets a charming, handsome stranger, Sam Johnson, who is just returning from World War II.
Gussie and Sam’s friendship is short-lived when Mr. Combs hunts her down and drags her back to Green Ridge, driven by his craving for revenge and a grudge too deep to comprehend. Gussie fights to return to Sam and his lo...

Author Topic: New FREE book promo tool for Indie Authors, all because of a Writers' Cafe post  (Read 15048 times)  

Online Evenstar

• UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
Hiya - Confused by the categories

I would like to showcase books like my own but there is no category? I tried looking for "Coming of Age" (that's the Amazon one), also looked under Young Adult and under Teen, but nothing there. When I checked my own books they were under "Genre Fiction" so I picked that and it is all kinds of books.

I think any category that shows ten different cats like Genre Fiction is going to get a lot in it but is not going to be good for finding books in just one genre?

I also have some paranormal romance, so I chose Paranormal, but then I noticed that there was also Supernatural and Paranormal, and then to confuse me even more there was a separate Supernatural category, and all three seemed to have different books in them? But surely you only need Supernatural and Paranormal and can dispense with the other two and amalgamate them in?

But if you do want to separate more rather than less, then Romance really needs some subcats, in my case it needs Young Adult Romance, Romantic Comedy, Paranormal Romance.

Sorry to be difficult! And thank you for this wonderful website which I would be more than happy to promote everywhere when it is ready to be

Suggestion: Could we choose how many books we display? I'm putting it as a side bar on a page that will be quite long and would be happy to have far more than two books by other authors showing up than just the two that are appearing at present.

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
OK... update time.

Wordpress.com issue resolved: When you enter a wordpress.com url it will now give you an option to display an image banner promoting the service. This takes the visitor to a special landing page which also shows books from your selected categories. I have checked the code on a test site so I know it works.

Vertical Banner: If you look at your 'Site' page it will now give you an option for either horizontal or vertical banners.

Adding more than two books to the banner: You can simply add in the code twice (or however many times you want) on your site. It will display different books for each. You may want to leave the 'Title' blank and you can add your own on your site. See the bookpromocoop.com home page for examples.

Minor change: You don't need to specify the exact URL that the code runs on, just your web address is fine.

@Evenstar. All the books are tagged with category/subcategory but there's not the numbers yet to use this. As soon as the numbers increase I'll get into subcategory filtering. Probably for the big ones first; Romance, Fantasy, Science Fiction, etc

Over the weekend (or maybe next week) I will pop an email to all subscribers and remind you all to ensure the code is running on your site. After that, if it's not running, then your books will not be promoted.

Spreading the word: I'll put up a post on my blog & FB and send a few tweets, but that's the full extent of my marketing empire. So it would be good if others could spread the word and get more authors on board.

That's it for the moment. I will add in an FAQ / About Page and do a few tidy ups shortly.

Offline Leah Ross

• USA
    • View Profile
AWESOME!  Thanks, Gerald!  I just got finished putting the banner up on my site, and I'm going to put up a blog post about it too.

YOU ROCK!

**Book One - Free**
Leah Ross | Website | Blog | Facebook

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
AWESOME!  Thanks, Gerald!  I just got finished putting the banner up on my site, and I'm going to put up a blog post about it too.

YOU ROCK!

Cool, thanks  ;D

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
I've mentioned it on the UK Kindle Users Forum. :)

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline mel p

• View Profile
Thank you so much for all the work you are doing and also for allowing all of us wordpress.com users to be included! I followed instructions, but it doesn't look right to me...I'm sure it is something I'm doing.

Would someone who has wordpress.com and updated their site please post a url here, so that I can see what it ends up looking like?

Also, I went youtube to watch the example and for some reason it isn't working at this time (again, it might just be me).

Thanks again!

UPDATED: Nevermind, I found an example and sadly mine is not right...I'll keep trying.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 11:56:48 AM by mel p »

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
@mel_p

In the 'Site' page in bookpromocoop.com enter the url as authorname.wordpress.com (not authorname.com) . I've changed this for you so if you go back in it will give you the right code.

See https://geraldmkilby.wordpress.com/ A quick and dirty test on wordpress.com, you'll see it on the left. I will update the instructions just in case other people have the same problem.

Offline mel p

• View Profile
@mel_p

In the 'Site' page in bookpromocoop.com enter the url as authorname.wordpress.com (not authorname.com) . I've changed this for you so if you go back in it will give you the right code.

See https://geraldmkilby.wordpress.com/ A quick and dirty test on wordpress.com, you'll see it on the left. I will update the instructions just in case other people have the same problem.

Yeah!! That worked! Thank you SO much. Since my actual address doesn't have the wordpress in it, I would have never figured that out on my own. Thanks again for putting so much time and effort into this! Now I just need to actually publish something...lol

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Thanks, that worked on my wordpress.com site (AlMacyAuthor.com).

Here's tip for other press.com-ers:

If you have your own domain name that redirects to your wordpress.com site, you will have enter the wordpress url in the BookPromoCoop.com site page. For example, wordpress.com/AlMacyAuthor instead of AlMacyAuthor.com.

Then BPC recognizes that you are a wordpress.com person, and presents the appropriate code.

Copy that code, then go to your wordpress.com site and add a text widget. Paste the text in.

My Site/Customize/Widget/Primary Widget Area/Add a Widget

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
Wow! Thanks so much for this. I'm one of those silly people on wpress.com (Doy!) so really really appreciate your work-around. Setting it up now.

No problem.
Just remember to enter your url as 'yourname.wordpress.com'. Or just have 'wordpress.com' somewhere in it.

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
Just received a really nice email from an author who bought a book of short stories after seeing it on their website via bookpromocoop. So It works  ;D

Online Evenstar

• UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
Yup, I bought one of the ones that appeared on my website too  :)

• Durban, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
Just received a really nice email from an author who bought a book of short stories after seeing it on their website via bookpromocoop. So It works  ;D

That's good to know. Now we have to work on getting more traffic to our websites  ;D

Offline M R Mortimer

• Australia
  • SF writer
    • View Profile
    • Suspended Earth - Official site of M R Mortimer
Just wanted to say, this has really shaped up nicely. Thanks and congratulations! I hope it brings a lot of sales for a lot of deserving writers :)
|

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author
M R Mortimer | Author Web Site Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series

Offline stevenbhow

• Japan
    • View Profile
Sounds like a great idea. Can't wait to try it.

Steve B Howard

Offline MissingAlaska

• View Profile
Just added this to my blog.  Thanks for putting this together.

Michael S. Nuckols | Webpage

Offline Vera Nazarian

• Vermont
  • Trudging along...
    • View Profile
    • Website
I also want to say thank you again for a great fabulous resource for cross-promo! May our numbers and sales grow exponentially!

I just added the nice new vertical code instead of my original tweaked version and it looks fabulous! :)

QUALIFY -high-octane dystopian SF teen adventure in apocalyptic vein of DIVERGENT & THE HUNGER GAMES
Vera Nazarian | Website | Mailing List | Facebook | Twitter | Wattpad

Offline Crenel

• View Profile
Another interesting thing about this service is that it can highlight quirks in how Amazon handles categories. I assume the site pulls everything from Amazon's API using the ASIN (very slick), and I assume it is pulling the top two categories.

I noticed that Wolf Block was getting about ten times as many views as Journey to Yandol, and other stories despite similarities between the two, so I looked closely at the categories. The higher views are presumably due to the science fiction category. For some reason, Journey to Yandol, and other stories has rather useless values for its top two: Short Stories & Anthologies: Anthologies and Short Stories & Anthologies: Short Stories. Science fiction doesn't show up until the third category.

I have no idea how to resolve that, since the categories selected in KDP don't seem to connect to what gets assigned by Amazon. I also don't know if it affects visibility on Amazon or if that's merely their display of their perception of buyer behavior. It's all probably irrelevant for this particular book that never sells anyway, but I'd love to understand it for other books. Anyway, I probably wouldn't have noticed those useless categories without BookPromoCoop.com and the very different view counts.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 11:50:44 AM by Crenel »

• Durban, South Africa
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
The view counts are very useful .
I've noticed that the most views are for the book that doesn't seem to be selling, and I think that's due to some of the reviews I got when I had it in the wrong category. I'm not sure how I can rectify that, but at least I know it's not the cover that's putting readers off  ::).

Offline Roz Marshall

• Scotland, UK
    • View Profile
    • Roz Marshall
Heads up: next week end I'll be looking at all the sites and checking the code to make sure it's OK and everybody is running it.

Thanks for doing this, Gerald  ;D

I don't have the code on my homepage - I put it on 2 book pages by relevant categories. Will you check these, or should I update my website URL(s?)?

Roz Marshall: website | facebook | goodreads |||Alba Covers: eBook Series Covers

Offline MyraScott

• Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
So, is everyone advertising Gerald's affiliate code, or is there a way that you can put your own affiliate code on your own book?  'Cause I checked a few and it looks like all the affiliate income is being earned by book coop.  Does this get redistributed somehow, or is everyone in the webring just selling books for the coop's profit?

Which is brilliant if you can get 72 sites advertising your affiliate code for you...

Offline thewitt

• Charlotte, NC
    • View Profile
    • The Triadine Saga
Which is of course no different from every other book promotion service that uses their affiliate codes to make money - except this one is probably in violation of Amazon's Operating Agreement since you can only use affiliate links on websites you control.

Author of The Traidine Saga: An Epic Fantasy
Timothy Bond | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Amazon | TakeAHike

Offline jdcore

• Toronto, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • The Lupa Schwartz Mysteries Blog
This was addressed earlier in the thread.

I have my Amazon ID on this so theoretically I can generate some revenue from it, if and when books are sold. So, in some respects, it's a good motivation. But to be honest I don't need to make anything out of this for a while as I have access to lots of fancy servers that can handle the traffic. (it's the day job).

I'm more interested in developing something that's a win / win for Indie Authors. Being one myself I know how difficult it can be to get our books out there. It seems there is a quantum jump from starting out with one or two books to getting to a point where we can get some reasonable sales. Something like this could help along the way. I also like the idea that it's Authors helping other Authors, pooling our own resources, one web page at a time.

There is a saying (I thinks it's from Cloud Atlas) it goes something like 'Your own efforts are but a drop in the ocean. But what is an ocean only a great many drops.'  ;)
So far it's running at about 1000 views per day (That's two books per view, with 200 books in the pool, that's appox. 10 per book per day). There has been around 100 clicks to amazon, but it's probably more as I'm not tracking UK. Two books have sold so far, but I can't tell who they are just yet. Total revenue $0.47  (Not time to give up the day job)

At some point I'll track clicks so you will be able to see how many views/click your books are generating. You can see the number of views beside your book in 'BOOKS' area.
Speaking only for myself, I hope Gerald makes a boatload of affiliate money. He did the work.

Offline lilywhite

• View Profile
It does make the misuses of the word "peculating" in the original post kind of funny though, you gotta admit. :D

peculate
ˈpekyəˌlāt
verb formal
gerund or present participle: peculating
embezzle or steal (money, especially public funds).
"the people accused them of having peculated the public money"

Offline Crenel

• View Profile
So, is everyone advertising Gerald's affiliate code, or is there a way that you can put your own affiliate code on your own book?  'Cause I checked a few and it looks like all the affiliate income is being earned by book coop.  Does this get redistributed somehow, or is everyone in the webring just selling books for the coop's profit?

Are we looking at publishing and promotion of books as a business, or as a social service to promote the arts? If the former, it makes sense for someone who is providing a promotional service, which consumes resources to provide, to build into that service a way for it to pay for itself and hopefully make a profit. There's nothing wrong with a positive ROI in a business venture, in fact, that's the point. There's a lot wrong with ignoring ROI, though, or expecting others to. Now if this is all a cultural arts event, then a positive ROI might be questionable.

Which is of course no different from every other book promotion service that uses their affiliate codes to make money - except this one is probably in violation of Amazon's Operating Agreement since you can only use affiliate links on websites you control.

Each participating site is using an IFRAME, which literally means that they are putting a small segment of his site into theirs. He controls the content of his site that appears in the IFRAME, and he is putting his affiliate code on his site. This is no different from me framing part of any other Amazon affiliate's site on my site, whether using an inline frame or a regular frame. My choice to do that does not mean the affiliate is putting their code on my site. This would only be a violation if Amazon either did not understand the technology (not likely) or ignored it (with what motivation?).