KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: New FREE book promo tool for Indie Authors, all because of a Writers' Cafe post  (Read 14726 times)  

Offline The 13th Doctor

• Here
    • View Profile
Just joined and added my books. About to put the code onto my website. :)

Offline Quinn Richardson

• Michigan
    • View Profile
This is a very, very cool thing you've done.  Good Karma headed your way.

Quinn Richardson | My site

Offline mel p

• View Profile
Okay, I signed up and am ready to add to my website, which I just created...question for wordpress.com people!!! I went to widget, and sidebar, but not sure which widget I pick? I know I need to copy/paste, but not sure on the widget.
Can someone guide me? And again, sorry for the dumb question....

Offline Vera Nazarian

• Vermont
  • Trudging along...
    • View Profile
    • Website
Okay, I signed up and am ready to add to my website, which I just created...question for wordpress.com people!!! I went to widget, and sidebar, but not sure which widget I pick? I know I need to copy/paste, but not sure on the widget.
Can someone guide me? And again, sorry for the dumb question....

Just pick the Text widget.

QUALIFY -high-octane dystopian SF teen adventure in apocalyptic vein of DIVERGENT & THE HUNGER GAMES
Vera Nazarian | Website | Mailing List | Facebook | Twitter | Wattpad

Offline mel p

• View Profile
Just pick the Text widget.

I picked text, pasted the text in and hit save. But it shows the text (link), not the photos. What am I doing wrong?

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
Thanks for this.

Also I have a question.

I am trying to start a coop for fiction podcasters. Code like this would be great for that. It should be an easy tweak now that you already have the basics built. Wanna give a brother a hand?

PM me on it

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
I picked text, pasted the text in and hit save. But it shows the text (link), not the photos. What am I doing wrong?

PM me with the address of your site and I'll have a look for you.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:56:04 PM by geraldmkilby »

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
  • ...should be working on WIP...
    • View Profile
    • Research Triangle Publications
This is an awesome idea, and thank you so much for putting your effort into it. One problem, though, I can't seem to get mine to "verticalize". I made the height and width changes Vera suggested, and for the first refresh, it was vertical, but now it's gone back to horizontal (I didn't change the code), and it looks goofy. Hope someone's got an idea on this.

This, and only this, is what I have stowed in my text widget:
<iframe style="border:none" src="http://bookpromocoop.com/showbpc.php?aid=23&cid=6&xid=1" height="390" width="250"></iframe>

Thanks in advance!

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
    • View Profile
Two ways around that, off the top of my head.  Gerald could (and maybe already does) code this to use his Amazon affiliate ID.  Therefore he'd technically make his revenue off of any books sold.  Second idea, and the one I'd favor more, is allow for a subscription fee and for us to be able to add our own affiliate IDs for a chance to make this a potential revenue stream.

Yep, I would second this idea.

And, yes, this is what happens when you come up with a cool tool for people to use -- you are flooded with suggestions more, more, more!

:) Maria

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
This is an awesome idea, and thank you so much for putting your effort into it. One problem, though, I can't seem to get mine to "verticalize". I made the height and width changes Vera suggested, and for the first refresh, it was vertical, but now it's gone back to horizontal (I didn't change the code), and it looks goofy. Hope someone's got an idea on this.

This, and only this, is what I have stowed in my text widget:
<iframe style="border:none" src="http://bookpromocoop.com/showbpc.php?aid=23&cid=6&xid=1" height="390" width="250"></iframe>

Thanks in advance!

Where it says height="390" width="250" change it to height="500" width="200" and your good to go.

Have also reduced the size of the font for the title.

Have checked this on your site to make sure it will work.

Really need to have a vertical banner option. Number one on the list  ;)

Offline jdcore

• Toronto, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • The Lupa Schwartz Mysteries Blog

Offline Lisa Blackwood

• View Profile
My widget doesn't show the covers.  >:( I'm out of time at the moment, but I'll come back to this later and read through the entire thread to see what I've done wrong.

My blog is a wordpress blog (I'll try my author website later, too. Maybe it will work there. It's wordpress as well.)

I used a text widget. Maybe I need to use a different one.

Anyway will come back to this on Sunday.

I think you have a great idea here.

Thanks for creating this!

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
Adding this also gave me the impetus to change my blog background and add dedicated links to my stories on the sidebar.

Floyd Looney

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
    • View Profile
Where it says height="390" width="250" change it to height="500" width="200" and your good to go.

Have also reduced the size of the font for the title.

Have checked this on your site to make sure it will work.

Really need to have a vertical banner option. Number one on the list  ;)

And, boom, fixed! Thanks, Gerald.

Sure, vertical option would be nice, but we worked around it! Next suggestion, but not top of list: Make it so our own books don't show up on our own website. As Vera said, looks a bit skeevy to recommend "other authors" who happen to be yourself :) .

ETA: One more suggestion (you're gonna start to hate me): Make the number of books displayed a changeable setting. I've got tons of space down that right-hand column; I'd love to fill it with great book suggestions!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 04:55:03 PM by Maria Romana »

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
Two ways around that, off the top of my head.  Gerald could (and maybe already does) code this to use his Amazon affiliate ID.  Therefore he'd technically make his revenue off of any books sold.  Second idea, and the one I'd favor more, is allow for a subscription fee and for us to be able to add our own affiliate IDs for a chance to make this a potential revenue stream.

I have my Amazon ID on this so theoretically I can generate some revenue from it, if and when books are sold. So, in some respects, it's a good motivation. But to be honest I don't need to make anything out of this for a while as I have access to lots of fancy servers that can handle the traffic. (it's the day job).

I'm more interested in developing something that's a win / win for Indie Authors. Being one myself I know how difficult it can be to get our books out there. It seems there is a quantum jump from starting out with one or two books to getting to a point where we can get some reasonable sales. Something like this could help along the way. I also like the idea that it's Authors helping other Authors, pooling our own resources, one web page at a time.

There is a saying (I thinks it's from Cloud Atlas) it goes something like 'Your own efforts are but a drop in the ocean. But what is an ocean only a great many drops.'  ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:09:08 PM by geraldmkilby »

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword

Sure, vertical option would be nice, but we worked around it! Next suggestion, but not top of list: Make it so our own books don't show up on our own website. As Vera said, looks a bit skeevy to recommend "other authors" who happen to be yourself :) .

ETA: One more suggestion (you're gonna start to hate me): Make the number of books displayed a changeable setting. I've got tons of space down that right-hand column; I'd love to fill it with great book suggestions!

Keep the suggestions coming.  I'm keen to hear what people want.

Offline Vera Nazarian

• Vermont
  • Trudging along...
    • View Profile
    • Website

Yup, after I just came back after being offline and checked, my own vertical stopped working too, so I used the suggested values 500 and 200 and that took care of it. However, now there is a large amount of white space below, so wondering if it can be made more economical to the screen real estate... :)

But hey, no rush! This is all good for starters, excellent!

And I like the idea of not having our own books be displayed on our own site!

QUALIFY -high-octane dystopian SF teen adventure in apocalyptic vein of DIVERGENT & THE HUNGER GAMES
Vera Nazarian | Website | Mailing List | Facebook | Twitter | Wattpad

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
    • View Profile
But hey, no rush! This is all good for starters, excellent!

Agreed--no pressure! Just really impressed and excited about the possibilities with this little toy. I hope more folks will hop on the wagon.

Offline Michael J Elliott

• Frankston, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
  • Dreams are the architects of our creativity.
    • View Profile
    • Official             Author Website
Ok I've done everything, signed up added books got my code but I don't know HOW to drag a text block to the widgets area at all! Please clarify for me. I've also spread the word about this to my author group ;D

Offline Holly A Hook

• Swartz Creek, MI
    • View Profile
    • HollyAnneHook
Would this work with Wordpress?  I have a Wordpress site and code generally doesn't work with those.  It tends to just show up as a very plain, small link. 

Offline R. M. Webb

• View Profile
    • Website
I just signed up, listed my books, and installed the widget. I hope I get a few new readers for the books that cycle through on my site.

R. M. Webb | Blog

Offline LifesHumor

• Alabama
  • Pen Name Today, My Name Tomorrow.
    • View Profile
    • My short story
Thank you for taking the time to make this.
Rolling In Dirt: 35%
Mae Daniels

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
    • View Profile
Would this work with Wordpress?  I have a Wordpress site and code generally doesn't work with those.  It tends to just show up as a very plain, small link.

Yes, Holly, totally. We're on Worpress, too. Just stick a text widget wherever you want it, and copy & paste the code in. Read upthread if need instructions on making it vertical instead of horizontal.

Offline thewitt

• Charlotte, NC
    • View Profile
    • The Triadine Saga
I've signed up, and dropped the book block on my Blog page, but the first books that showed up were not Fantasy book as I had selected.

One was a Mystery and the other Romance.  Hopefully the authors of those books simply selected an incorrect category, and this was not a problem with the system.

I would like to be able to display more than 2 books as well.

Here's the page: http://www.triadinesaga.com/index.php/my-blog

One other suggestion. Use a small logo for the link back to the site and some promotional text rather than just the URL.

Author of The Traidine Saga: An Epic Fantasy
Timothy Bond | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Goodreads | Amazon | TakeAHike

Offline Trans-Human

• Southeast Europe
  • Cat-2-Human Trans-Zoa. My prefered pronouns: Meow!
    • View Profile
    • ... A Writer After Dark
I don't have books of my own to enter and my blog doesn't have much traffic, but I'm willing to help. So, we'll see what happens. I'll go and try to add the code (emphasis on 'try', me and code don't get along very often).

EDIT: Ehhh, asks for an ASIN now. I don't have one! D: STUCK!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 01:38:41 AM by Gaulvinov »
Genres: Science Fiction / Fantasy / Horror / Superhero

Project 1: 28%

Project 2: 18%
Works in Progress ^^^:
A Writer After Dark | About.Me | Twitter | Google+