Author Topic: New FREE book promo tool for Indie Authors, all because of a Writers' Cafe post  (Read 14601 times)  

Offline blerg et al.

• View Profile
As soon as I revamp my website....
Cast in Sand: 80%

Out-Hull: 5%

Gulf Coast Poetry: 80%
Dustin Porta | art website | art facebook | author facebook | author website

Offline Maria Romana

• NC, USA
  • ...should be working on WIP...
    • View Profile
    • Research Triangle Publications
UPDATE: I have set the category filter working, you may need to check your settings to make sure you're displaying the books you want.
Your own books won't show on you own site, have fixed this.
I am staggered by the uptake for this, looks like it has hit a need for Indie Authors.
That's all for the moment. I will be setting up different banner options soon.

All the hard work over a holiday weekend is appreciated!!!

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
I've had a look at the Wordpress.com issue and there is no solution to it. So sorry to say, this will not work if your site is a hosted wordpress.com one. It seems to be a policy with them not to allow anything that can be used for this type of thing. Bit of a shame really. Nonetheless it seems to work on pretty much everything else.

Will keep an eye out for a solution but for the moment if you are on Wordpress.com this is not going to work for you.  :(

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 12:44:22 PM by geraldmkilby »

Offline Crenel

• Puget Sound region
  • Always a work in progress...
    • View Profile
    • By the Campfire with Stuart
Has anybody on Wordpress.com tried my work-around of using OBJECT and EMBED in place of IFRAME? It might not work if they block those tags too, but if it does work it would be good to let people know.

Crenel
(Stuart J. Whitmore)

Promote your book for free:
LazySaturdayReads.com

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
Has anybody on Wordpress.com tried my work-around of using OBJECT and EMBED in place of IFRAME? It might not work if they block those tags too, but if it does work it would be good to let people know.

Tried that, no joy. Actually tried a few different things, even javascript, but they block that too.  :(

Offline Holly A Hook

• Swartz Creek, MI
    • View Profile
    • HollyAnneHook
I'm really having no choice but to port my site over the Blogger, and not just for this reason.  I've been spending all morning moving my website over.  I'm done with Wordpress.  It's so limiting with these kinds of things.  Also, I need a site where I can post videos without having to pay for the ability to do so, since I have my Sales Challenge going.  Blogger can be annoying in some ways, but at least I can do the things I want to do there. 

Offline R. M. Webb

• View Profile
    • Website
I looked for the "all" category and couldn't find it.  :( I'd love to highlight as many indies as I can.

R. M. Webb | Blog

Offline M R Mortimer

• Australia
  • SF writer
    • View Profile
    • Suspended Earth - Official site of M R Mortimer
Just an FYI, my wordpress install on my own hosting account (not wordpress.com), the code works perfectly as a text widget. It's worth it to pay for hosting sometimes.
|

Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy Author
M R Mortimer | Author Web Site Facebook Page | Twitter Page | Fantasy Series

Online Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
I use the free www.jimdo.com and had no hassles. It has a lot more features than when I first started, but I haven't got round to trying them all so my website is quite basic  ::).

Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
OK, I've had an idea on how to solve the Wordpress.com issue. As we have discovered it won't allow any iframe code in the Text widget. But, it will allow a simple image with a link.
Now lots of Indie Authors use the free Wordpress.com service so it would be good to have them on the book exchange network.

So the idea is for them to display a small image banner linking to bookpromocoop.com. (Need to come up with some text for this)

This way their books can be promoted and they can contribute by helping to add more sites and books to the over all network.

I think this would be very fair.

Thoughts?

@R. M. Webb, ALL option coming in a day or two.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:35:07 AM by geraldmkilby »

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
All right - so I just signed up.

I know, I know, there goes the neighborhood.
:)

My blog/website is Wordpress.com as well. It is a darned nuisance. Hopefully I can find a work-around here to solve the problem.

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
All right - so I just signed up.

I know, I know, there goes the neighborhood.

My blog/website is Wordpress.com as well. It is a darned nuisance. Hopefully I can find a work-around here to solve the problem.

Glad to have you on board. See my post above for a workaround.... again it will take me a few days to implement, have to keep the day job going first. :)

Offline Steve Vernon

• Halifax, Nova Scotia
  • "Kindle Scout Kahuna"
    • View Profile
    • MY WEBSITE
No worries, Gerald. I have a day job as well.

Offline R. M. Webb

• View Profile
    • Website

@R. M. Webb, ALL option coming in a day or two.

Ahhh... That's what I get for skimming the that after ten hours of building a shed in the blazing heat...

Sorry!

R. M. Webb | Blog

Offline Crenel

• Puget Sound region
    • View Profile
So the idea is for them to display a small image banner linking to bookpromocoop.com. (Need to come up with some text for this)

I've been putting more thought into this also, and I think that is the best that you can do. If your site included a page/feature to browse all of the registered books, the image could link there. The image could even be dynamically generated using two book covers like now, but of course the link would not go directly to the matching books. Of course it's easy for me to suggest things when it's not my coding time and effort. :D

Crenel
(Stuart J. Whitmore)

LazySaturdayReads.com

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
If your site included a page/feature to browse all of the registered books, the image could link there.

That's a really good idea, easy enough to do, might even break it down by genre.

Offline RachelSilbes

• View Profile
    • Web Design Information
I'm really having no choice but to port my site over the Blogger, and not just for this reason.  I've been spending all morning moving my website over.  I'm done with Wordpress.  It's so limiting with these kinds of things.  Also, I need a site where I can post videos without having to pay for the ability to do so, since I have my Sales Challenge going.  Blogger can be annoying in some ways, but at least I can do the things I want to do there.

Are you on wordpress.COM? You should be on wordpress.ORG. org is free, com you pay. I don't know why people do .com. You are getting nothing for your money. You can get so much more with .org.

Offline RachelSilbes

• View Profile
    • Web Design Information
I think Wordpress.org sites allow plugins, but not so much on Wordpress.com sites.  I have a wordpress.com site.  Maybe that's the issue some people are having.

Do yourself a favor and get .org.

Thousands of widgets you don't have to pay for, and there are so many more options. Com is garbage and no one should pay so much for so little.

Offline Crenel

• Puget Sound region
    • View Profile
You should be on wordpress.ORG. org is free, com you pay. I don't know why people do .com. You are getting nothing for your money.

Does .org offer free hosting, or any hosting at all? If not, there is no way to "be on wordpress.ORG." The cost and/or complexity of setting up hosting and then installing WordPress may be too much of an obstacle. The other thread that included a poll about hosting gives a pretty good picture of how average people look at setting up a site. I set up hosting and install Drupal or some other CMS or framework, but a lot of people want or need a simpler solution. Hosting + a simpler solution is what they are getting for their money.

Crenel
(Stuart J. Whitmore)

LazySaturdayReads.com

Offline Selina Fenech

• Sydney
  • Aussie Artist and Author
    • View Profile
    • Selina Fenech- Artist and Author
What a great concept! Thanks for all the hard work putting it together. I've just signed up and added it to my book site!
-  
Selina Fenech | author website | blog | facebook | twitter | youtube

Offline archaeoroutes

• Somerset, England
    • View Profile
    • Alasdair Shaw
Should we look further at spreading the word yet? The more sites showing the ads the wider the net is cast.

Genres: Space Opera, MilSF, Popular Science, Physics Textbooks, Archaeology, Walking
Alasdair C Shaw | Personal Website | SciFi Website | Physics Website | Archaeology Website | Newsletter Signup

Offline MyraScott

• South Carolina
  • Ideas are worth nothing until implemented
    • View Profile
You guys might be able to find some webring software still available that works on Wordpress. There are some links near the bottom of that article to various platforms.

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword

There are a few more bits and bobs I'd like to get done such as; a vertical banner option, a banner for Wordpress.com users ( I can detect this automatically), a nice landing page with a list of authors and books & an FAQ page.

Once that's done then I think start spreading the word. Probably after this weekend.

BTW, the ALL option is now set up so you can just select this option and it will display a random set from the full pool of books.

Offline Heather Hamilton-Senter

• View Profile
I signed up but never got my registration email :(

Offline geraldmkilby

• Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Afterword
I signed up but never got my registration email :(

I just activated it for you. You can log in now and get set up. ;D