Poll

What do you think of the new KU change? (payout per page)

I like it.  It's better than the old flat payout regardless of length
323 (72.9%)
I don't like it.  The old flat payout regardless of length payout is better
120 (27.1%)

Total Members Voted: 438

Author Topic: New KU Payout & Program Change MEGA Thread--Now with Poll! (MERGED)  (Read 91599 times)  

Offline horrordude1973

• Texas
    • View Profile
Email I got today:

Hello,

Today we have a few exciting announcements to share related to the KDP Select global fund. The first is that were adding a bonus of $7.8 million to the May KDP Select global fund on top of the previously announced $3 million base fund, bringing the total fund to $10.8 million. We are also pleased to report that:

KDP Select authors are on track to earn over $60M in the first half of 2015 from books read in Kindle Unlimited and the Kindle Owners Lending Library.

Total royalties across subscription and a la carte sales earned by KDP Select authors in the US are on track to more than double in the first half of 2015 compared to the same period last year.

Authors have continued to renew their titles in KDP Select at rates in excess of 95% each month since Kindle Unlimited launched.

These trends give us the confidence to look forward and share that the KDP Select global fund will be in excess of $11M for both July and August.

Were always looking at ways to make our programs even better, and we've received lots of great feedback on how to improve the way we pay KDP authors for books in Kindle Unlimited. One particular piece of feedback weve heard consistently from authors is that paying the same for all books regardless of length may not provide a strong enough alignment between the interests of authors and readers. We agree. With this in mind, were pleased to announce that beginning on July 1, the KDP Select Global Fund will be paid out based on the number of pages KU and KOLL customers read.

As with our current approach, well continue to offer a global fund for each month. Under this new model, the amount an author earns will be determined by their share of total pages read rather than their share of total qualified borrows. Here are a few examples illustrating how the fund will be paid out. For simplicity, assume the fund is $10M and that 100,000,000 total pages were read in the month:

The author of a 100 page book which was borrowed and read completely 100 times would earn $1,000 ($10 million multiplied by 10,000 pages for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).

The author of a 200 page book which was borrowed and read completely 100 times would earn $2,000 ($10 million multiplied by 20,000 pages for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).

The author of a 200 page book which was borrowed 100 times but only read half way through on average would earn $1,000 ($10 million multiplied by 10,000 pages for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).

We will similarly change the way we pay KDP Select All-Star bonuses which will be awarded to authors and titles based on total KU and KOLL pages read.

We think this is a solid step forward and better aligns the interests of readers and authors. Our goal, as always, is to build a service that rewards authors for their valuable work, attracts more readers and encourages them to read more and more often. We welcome your continued feedback and ideas about how we can further improve Kindle Direct Publishing and Kindle Unlimited.

In the coming days well share more details about this change. In the meantime, for further information (such as how we measure pages read) you can read more here:  https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A156OS90J7RDN.

Best Regards,
The Kindle Direct Publishing Team

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
Announcement KDP Select Global Fund Update & Program Changes
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 09:41:54 AM »
I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this new Select development... How about the rest of you?

Hello,

Today we have a few exciting announcements to share related to the KDP Select global fund. The first is that were adding a bonus of $7.8 million to the May KDP Select global fund on top of the previously announced $3 million base fund, bringing the total fund to $10.8 million. We are also pleased to report that:

KDP Select authors are on track to earn over $60M in the first half of 2015 from books read in Kindle Unlimited and the Kindle Owners Lending Library.

Total royalties across subscription and a la carte sales earned by KDP Select authors in the US are on track to more than double in the first half of 2015 compared to the same period last year.

Authors have continued to renew their titles in KDP Select at rates in excess of 95% each month since Kindle Unlimited launched.

These trends give us the confidence to look forward and share that the KDP Select global fund will be in excess of $11M for both July and August.

Were always looking at ways to make our programs even better, and we've received lots of great feedback on how to improve the way we pay KDP authors for books in Kindle Unlimited. One particular piece of feedback weve heard consistently from authors is that paying the same for all books regardless of length may not provide a strong enough alignment between the interests of authors and readers. We agree. With this in mind, were pleased to announce that beginning on July 1, the KDP Select Global Fund will be paid out based on the number of pages KU and KOLL customers read.

As with our current approach, well continue to offer a global fund for each month. Under this new model, the amount an author earns will be determined by their share of total pages read rather than their share of total qualified borrows. Here are a few examples illustrating how the fund will be paid out. For simplicity, assume the fund is $10M and that 100,000,000 total pages were read in the month:

The author of a 100 page book which was borrowed and read completely 100 times would earn $1,000 ($10 million multiplied by 10,000 pages for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).

The author of a 200 page book which was borrowed and read completely 100 times would earn $2,000 ($10 million multiplied by 20,000 pages for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).

The author of a 200 page book which was borrowed 100 times but only read half way through on average would earn $1,000 ($10 million multiplied by 10,000 pages for this author divided by 100,000,000 total pages).

We will similarly change the way we pay KDP Select All-Star bonuses which will be awarded to authors and titles based on total KU and KOLL pages read.

We think this is a solid step forward and better aligns the interests of readers and authors. Our goal, as always, is to build a service that rewards authors for their valuable work, attracts more readers and encourages them to read more and more often. We welcome your continued feedback and ideas about how we can further improve Kindle Direct Publishing and Kindle Unlimited.

In the coming days well share more details about this change. In the meantime, for further information (such as how we measure pages read) you can read more here:  https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A156OS90J7RDN.

Best Regards,
The Kindle Direct Publishing Team

Offline horrordude1973

• Texas
    • View Profile
Re: Announcement -- KDP Select Global Fund Update & Program Changes
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2015, 09:43:42 AM »
there is more here on how they determine page count. Most of my books are novellas so not sure I'm liking this:

https://kdp.amazon.com/help?topicId=A156OS90J7RDN

Offline Kristopia

• The Triangle, North Carolina
    • View Profile
    • Kristopia Studios
Re: New KU Payout system based on book length
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2015, 09:43:44 AM »
Just saw this in my inbox. It's an interesting change, and one that may be of good benefit to authors of longer works. It wasn't fair to those authors to be making the same amount as some short story writers.  If it works, I might just reconsider putting my novel back in Select.
Available on Kindle:

"Courage is being scared to death, but saddling  up anyway." John Wayne

Offline cinisajoy

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2015, 09:45:09 AM »
So now we will get non-fiction filled with fillers.  Great.  Thanks for nothing..
Off to send Amazon a letter.   
http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,216185.msg3013849.html#new

Please help our friend and fellow kboarder Craig Hansen.

Offline carinasanfey

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2015, 09:45:41 AM »
Surely it's a bit unfair to announce this two weeks before it starts? I'm at the start of a ninety day period with some of my titles and not happy that the terms of KU are going to change after sixteen of those ninety days, with no way for me to pull my titles. Of course, there are presumably clauses allowing for this in KDP's terms and conditions. Sigh.

Offline horrordude1973

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2015, 09:46:23 AM »
Mine are all novellas, so I need to figure something out here. Maybe start doing collections instead of individual releases. There is more here on how they will determine pages.

Offline Bob Stewart

• View Profile
    • Street Car Mysteries
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2015, 09:48:30 AM »
It also means variable payments based on how far someone's read in a particular book. We'll have to wait and see how it effects us...

Offline carinasanfey

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 09:49:23 AM »
Surely it's a bit unfair to announce this two weeks before it starts? I'm at the start of a ninety day period with some of my titles and not happy that the terms of KU are going to change after sixteen of those ninety days, with no way for me to pull my titles. Of course, there are presumably clauses allowing for this in KDP's terms and conditions. Sigh.

Offline Alex Rogers

• Louisiana
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 09:51:39 AM »
Just got my email and immediately checked the boards. Not sure how I feel about this one.

Offline SunnyDay913

• California, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 09:52:08 AM »
I'm confused...does this eliminate the 10% rule?

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2015, 09:52:46 AM »
there is more here on how they determine page count. Most of my books are novellas so not sure I'm liking this:

Agree. One of my upcoming strategies involved novellas. Sigh...

Offline horrordude1973

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2015, 09:53:10 AM »
I don't know if I should wait and see how this effects me or if I should be proactive and do something now. I hate to wait too long and lose money, but I hate to jump the gun and lose money too.

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »

No doubt.

Offline Deb Hanrahan

• View Profile
    • Deb Hanrahan
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2015, 09:54:04 AM »
"If you no longer want your book(s) to be included in KDP Select you may unenroll from the program by contacting us with the ASIN of the book you would like to remove."

Deb Hanrahan | website

Offline carinasanfey

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2015, 09:56:30 AM »
"If you no longer want your book(s) to be included in KDP Select you may unenroll from the program by contacting us with the ASIN of the book you would like to remove."

*cue mass exodus*

Definitely removing my main name stuff. No idea what to do with my cat serials - I wrote those specifically for KU and they cant really work outside of it. >:(

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2015, 09:57:14 AM »
My new book is coming out 7/14.  I was holding it out of Select because unlike the novellas that preceded it-- priced at $2.99--this is priced at $3.99.  I didn't see the benefit in that gap in the borrow rate vs. the buy rate.  The $3.99 book is longer, though.  I'm not sure yet if this changes my approach.

Online J.A. Sutherland

• View Profile
    • Alexis Carew Novels
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 09:57:53 AM »
I foresee 600 pages of front matter ...

J.A. Sutherland | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Joliedupre

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 09:59:28 AM »
Mine are all novellas, so I need to figure something out here. Maybe start doing collections instead of individual releases.

Don't panic just yet.  A 200 page or higher book has to be REALLY GOOD for me to finish it.  (I'm not alone. There's a lot of readers like me.)  So just because a person who writes a 200 page or higher book QUALIFIES for more money IF readers finish the book doesn't mean the "if" will happen every time.

Offline Sara C

• New Mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2015, 09:59:35 AM »
So authors could technically make $10-$20 per borrow if their 100-200 page book is read completely each time? Is my math wrong? If that's the case, I'd almost want to go back into Select...almost.

Sara C Roethle | Website

Offline Charnell

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2015, 09:59:46 AM »
So instead of a flat rate, you get paid by the page. If they actually put out a way to track how far someone reads into a book that would be great. Then authors would know what works and doesn't work.

Offline Tulonsae

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2015, 09:59:55 AM »
I foresee 600 pages of front matter ...

According to the announcement, the page count goes from SRL (Start Reading Location) which, by default, starts at Chapter 1. I think this means the front matter is skipped.

Offline carinasanfey

• London, UK
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2015, 10:00:10 AM »
More thoughts - sorry, still trying to get my head around this, so my opinions are coming out in dribbles.

I think this could be a good thing for authors - IF we had had fair warning of it. Sixteen days in which to change one's entire strategy? Not cool.

Offline ChristinaGarner

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
    • ChristinaGarner.com
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2015, 10:00:16 AM »
So now we will get non-fiction filled with fillers.  Great.  Thanks for nothing..
Off to send Amazon a letter.   

Exactly.

Offline Deb Hanrahan

• View Profile
    • Deb Hanrahan
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2015, 10:00:23 AM »
*cue mass exodus*

Definitely removing my main name stuff. No idea what to do with my cat serials - I wrote those specifically for KU and they cant really work outside of it. >:(

Yep. Sent my request already.

Deb Hanrahan | website