Author Topic: Get Books Daily - New Promotion Service currently in beta  (Read 5744 times)  

Offline Avarian

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Get Books Daily
Get Books Daily - New Promotion Service currently in beta
« on: June 18, 2015, 02:20:14 PM »
Hi all,

So after a longterm membership here on the Boards, I have decided to start a promotion service much in the Bookbub style with a categorized mail blast as the main feature.

At present the service is in beta, which means that it does not run at full service. The beta is in place for two reasons.
1. To build the subscriber list.
2. To get the first promotions going, so I can begin to see average conversions with the service.

During the beta promotions will of course be free. We will currently send out mail blasts on Wednesdays and Fridays. More information can be found on the website www.getbooksdaily.com.

A promotion service is nothing new, so I should probably explain my reasons to even start one. I come from a marketing background and I believe that the best way to get people to your product is short form messages, offering variety and a lot of small details. This comes to show in the service with a two-sided strategy. One directly focused on the advertisers and one focused on the subscribers.

Advantages for advertisers: (Please note that some of this will be lackluster during the beta)

- High conversions through a focus on getting subscribers to click-through to the title with a short message to create excitement about the story.
- Focusing on keeping the price per conversion so low that ROI will be positive in almost all promotions.
- Fewer requirements to promote with no minimum rating and no minimum amount of reviews.
- Providing detailed statistics for every promotion through a weekly summary of the performance of the promotions on our website, and delivering an email to advertisers with the performance of the individual promotion along with comparisons to other promotions in the given period. (Stats will be lacking during the beta, since focus is on improving the service, building the subscriber base and interpreting the first stats)

Advantages for subscribers:

- The widest selection delivered directly to your mailbox with 3 promotions in each category.
- Dedicated new release, novella and short story offerings.
- A more diverse offering of titles with less gate-keeping.

You are more than welcome to check out the service on www.getbooksdaily.com or if you have feedback or questions you can ask right here or send the feedback using our Feedback form on the website www.getbooksdaily.com/feedback/.

ETA: Thank you everyone for the great interest in and support of our new service. We are working through the submissions, and there is plenty room for more. (we are rapidly running out of spots for June 24th, though)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 03:16:39 AM by Avarian »

Online David Chill

• Los Angeles, CA
    • View Profile
Re: Get Books Daily - New Promotion Service currently in beta
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 05:38:04 PM »
I'll give it a shot. You can't beat the price!

David Chill

Online Dragovian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 05:51:26 PM »
Are there genre restrictions?

I've doubled my writing speed by playing on 4theWords. Come give it a try! My referral code is PFXBS32680.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 09:31:38 PM »
Why limit it to 3 per category?

I'm subscribed to Bookbub at the moment. I'm only interested in Sci-Fi and Fantasy. I get 1 or 2 recommends a day. I'm finding it useless.

I'd happily take a dozen a day. I get a dozen or so each week from Amazon, and its rare I don't click on something. In fact, the next book in series is often found that way.

Why not set a limit of the total number on a mail-out? If the reader only has a couple of categories of interest, stack the email with the full number, just from what they want.

Suggestion: Do one mail-out each week that is explicitly new releases, specializing in unknown authors. Its us newbies that need all the help, not the established authors making a living out of it already. No-one gives a sh*t about us, so a service that does, is going to be an asset and not just one more of the same. In fact, I'd go as far as excluding any book above a threshold ranking on Amazon, say 500,000? If its higher than that, there are other books that need the exposure more.

Another : When you start asking for money for the service, base the charge on the ranking of each authors books. Those with high rankings should pay more. imo. Those with rankings mainly below 1mill, should be free.

Offline Avarian

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Get Books Daily
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 03:25:31 AM »
Are there genre restrictions?

Hi Dragovian,

We do not have genre restrictions. You can find the genres that we currently offer here http://getbooksdaily.com/bookdeal/ (The genres are listed as our categories in the left side menu. If you have requests for a genre that is not present, please let me know.

Sincerely,
Anders
Get Books Daily

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 03:51:22 AM »
I notice the only books you have on there now, are all on special. Is that a requirement?

Sorry, I just found that you are.

Why does everyone get bogged down on free or discounted books?

Why not promote good books up to a value of $5?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 03:52:58 AM by TimothyEllis »

Offline Avarian

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Get Books Daily
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 03:52:21 AM »
Why limit it to 3 per category?

I'm subscribed to Bookbub at the moment. I'm only interested in Sci-Fi and Fantasy. I get 1 or 2 recommends a day. I'm finding it useless.

I'd happily take a dozen a day. I get a dozen or so each week from Amazon, and its rare I don't click on something. In fact, the next book in series is often found that way.

Why not set a limit of the total number on a mail-out? If the reader only has a couple of categories of interest, stack the email with the full number, just from what they want.

Suggestion: Do one mail-out each week that is explicitly new releases, specializing in unknown authors. Its us newbies that need all the help, not the established authors making a living out of it already. No-one gives a sh*t about us, so a service that does, is going to be an asset and not just one more of the same. In fact, I'd go as far as excluding any book above a threshold ranking on Amazon, say 500,000? If its higher than that, there are other books that need the exposure more.

Another : When you start asking for money for the service, base the charge on the ranking of each authors books. Those with high rankings should pay more. imo. Those with rankings mainly below 1mill, should be free.

Hi Timothy,

Thank you for your feedback. I expect our service to evolve both during the beta testing and after we go live.

In regards to the 3 slots per category, then this is the setup for now. This is to offer a "wide" selection, but still maintain the possibility to fill our current slots. That does not mean that we will be limited to 3 slots in the future.
With our current setup of 31 categories we will offer 93 total titles in a mail blast. Since we are still new in the market, we do not want to open up for more slots at the moment. Not only will it require more setup time for each mail, taking time away from making the promotions the best they can be, but also require more authors to know about us and submit their titles. Should we see a high demand for our service as we go live, then we will likely implement more slots, but we will look into that at a later time.

I have noted the exclusive new releases mail as a suggestion that we will look into. Regarding a focus on unknown authors then we welcome unknown and new authors to our service. We believe that our lack of restrictions in the form of ratings and reviews is a clear signal that we will not be gatekeepers, but allow our subscribers to choose from our selection of both new and established authors.
When you say that other books need the exposure more then I agree with you. I do however believe that a mix between established authors and new authors on our service will give our subscribers the best possible selection, and that it will also benefit new authors to be promoted on a service alongside established authors. We may add a "discover new authors" feature to our services in the future, but again this is something that we will test.

It is an interesting suggestion to base our price model on the title's ranking. Rather than build our base pricing system around this setup however we would likely make some special promotions for new and/or unknown authors using both our mail, site and social media to highlight such a feature.

Thank you very much for your feedback, Timothy. It has certainly shed light on additional options that we had not thought about on our own.

Sincerely,
Anders
Get Books Daily

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 03:57:14 AM »
In regards to the 3 slots per category, then this is the setup for now. This is to offer a "wide" selection, but still maintain the possibility to fill our current slots. That does not mean that we will be limited to 3 slots in the future.
With our current setup of 31 categories we will offer 93 total titles in a mail blast.

That just means that me, with my only asking of sci-fi, will only get 1 to 3 books on the email. Once you get going and have 100's, it will take all year to be told about them.

I'd rather get a blast that lists everything you have when I sign up, then get told whats new every email, however many there are.

Offline Avarian

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Get Books Daily
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2015, 04:01:09 AM »
I notice the only books you have on there now, are all on special. Is that a requirement?

Our main promotions require a discount to give our subscribers an incentive to use our service to get a special deal. However two details separate us from other similar promotion services. We do not require a certain percentage discount like at least 50%. If your title is 4.99 usually, then you can promote it at 3.99 with us, as long as you have not promoted it at a lower price in the last 90 days.
Our New Release features are not required to be discounted. That feature is meant as a discovery tool for our subscribers to be among the first to try out new titles, and the incentive to buy will be exclusivity (as in not a lot of people have picked up a new title yet) and not just a good deal.

Sincerely,
Anders
Get Books Daily

Offline Avarian

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Get Books Daily
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 04:17:43 AM »
That just means that me, with my only asking of sci-fi, will only get 1 to 3 books on the email. Once you get going and have 100's, it will take all year to be told about them.

I'd rather get a blast that lists everything you have when I sign up, then get told whats new every email, however many there are.

I see what you mean, Timothy, and we may very well expand on our mail service, but for now we focus on 3 slots per category to keep it streamlined during beta. Some subscribers may feel that there is such a thing as too many titles per mail, so the best option may be to add extra titles to our website and refer to them from the daily mails for the subscribers who want a larger selection.
But as I said this is still something that we discuss and look into the options as move on.

Sincerely,
Anders
Get Books Daily

Offline Mark at Marble City

• View Profile
    • Marble City
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2015, 05:01:38 AM »
Anders, my suggestion would be you manage authors' expectations very carefully. BookBub are masters in this and an author can expect a range of sales yield from the number of subscribers in each genre e.g. 1 sale per 1,000 subscribers. What's the current size of your mail list? New operations often fail to gain real traction because they are geared up to make future promises but the mail list lacks critical mass in qualified subscriber numbers.

Marble City Publishing | website | $100 Amazon gift card draw

Offline Nancy Chase

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2015, 05:08:46 AM »
I already have a Kindle Countdown promo for my book set up during the dates when your website says you have space available, so I'm happy to give you a try.  I just emailed you a submission.  Best of luck with your new service!
The TransSomnium Needle: 50%

Changeling: 25%

Crossroads: 15%
Fantasy, Sci Fi, Myths, Fairy Tales, Paranormal
Nancy Chase | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Google+

Offline Avarian

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Get Books Daily
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 05:20:25 AM »
Anders, my suggestion would be you manage authors' expectations very carefully. BookBub are masters in this and an author can expect a range of sales yield from the number of subscribers in each genre e.g. 1 sale per 1,000 subscribers. What's the current size of your mail list? New operations often fail to gain real traction because they are geared up to make future promises but the mail list lacks critical mass in qualified subscriber numbers.

Hi Mark,

You are very right. We have looked into the other promotion services, and in particular Bookbub since they provide a decent bit of information on conversions. We are currently building our own service and have a subscriber base of just over 1.000. During our beta focus will be on testing our service and building that subscriber base. We have an advertising budget and estimates on the conversions on that budget.
We do not aim to lead authors by the nose with high hopes. At present our service will provide authors with next to nothing in sales and downloads. Hopefully we will be able to build our service at a decent rate during the beta period.
We hope to have a bit of an edge with building unique subscribers, since we are based in Denmark, where a large portion of the population can read in English and the national book market is limited to our own writers and international bestsellers. International indies should have a good appeal with an overall lower price than the danish readers are used to.

Sincerely,
Anders
Get Books Daily

Offline Avarian

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Get Books Daily
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2015, 05:24:07 AM »
I already have a Kindle Countdown promo for my book set up during the dates when your website says you have space available, so I'm happy to give you a try.  I just emailed you a submission.  Best of luck with your new service!

Thank you very much, Nancy.

I will get back to you on email regarding your promotion. :-)

Sincerely,
Anders
Get Books Daily

Offline edwardgtalbot

• Amherst, MA
  • Thriller and short story author
    • View Profile
    • author website for Edward G. Talbot
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 05:59:44 AM »
Best of luck with getting your site up and running. My latest promo is on its last day today but I'll give you a look for my next one. Just subscribed to your email.

As a reader, I love that you allow genre selection - most (though not all) of the successful promo emails do that. I subscribe to many, many promo emails. I can tell you that I rarely read all the way through the ones that aren't restricted to selected genres (I always select thrillers and action & adventure) unless they only feature 2 or 3 books and it's easy to eyeball them on first open.

The main challenge you face is building your list. Finding quality books is not a problem, and getting authors to pay you to list them once you start producing results is not a problem either. But the numbers are daunting. If you have 10,000 readers subscribed to Thrillers, you might produce good enough results to charge $5 and expect repeat business from authors. Although I think it's great to get authors engaged in submissions early, I would definitely focus on delivering the best sale books you can find so that your readers keep opening those emails.

The Denmark angle is interesting. Denmark readers buy from the Amazon US kindle store, correct? Are there any other eBook vendors in Denmark with sizable traffic?
What if everyone IS out to get you?

Edward G. Talbot | Web Site

Offline Avarian

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Get Books Daily
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 06:24:57 AM »
Best of luck with getting your site up and running. My latest promo is on its last day today but I'll give you a look for my next one. Just subscribed to your email.

As a reader, I love that you allow genre selection - most (though not all) of the successful promo emails do that. I subscribe to many, many promo emails. I can tell you that I rarely read all the way through the ones that aren't restricted to selected genres (I always select thrillers and action & adventure) unless they only feature 2 or 3 books and it's easy to eyeball them on first open.

The main challenge you face is building your list. Finding quality books is not a problem, and getting authors to pay you to list them once you start producing results is not a problem either. But the numbers are daunting. If you have 10,000 readers subscribed to Thrillers, you might produce good enough results to charge $5 and expect repeat business from authors. Although I think it's great to get authors engaged in submissions early, I would definitely focus on delivering the best sale books you can find so that your readers keep opening those emails.

The Denmark angle is interesting. Denmark readers buy from the Amazon US kindle store, correct? Are there any other eBook vendors in Denmark with sizable traffic?

Thank you very much, Edward.

We have opted for the early beta to get the first stats and opinions from both authors and subscribers, so we can correct any mistakes early on and improve the service overall.
There is no doubt that the big issue is building a quality list of subscribers, and it is our main focus at this time. I have a background in marketing, and as does my partner, so we have confidence that we can build a quality list.

In regards to the danish market, we see it as a great strength. The danish readers are somewhat starved of variety in the selection of books, and this is exactly what indies in particular can provide. The only real danish online retailer is Saxo, but they lack in both selection and price compared to the international market. Danish readers would use Amazon US for their purchases, since we have no national Amazon store and likely won't see one for a long time.

Sincerely,
Anders
Get Books Daily

Online Dragovian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 01:25:00 PM »
Just shot you an email. The price is certainly right. ;D

I've doubled my writing speed by playing on 4theWords. Come give it a try! My referral code is PFXBS32680.

Offline Avarian

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Get Books Daily
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2015, 03:25:40 PM »
Just shot you an email. The price is certainly right. ;D

Hi Dragovian,

We have scheduled your title. Thank you very much for supporting our service during our first steps to become a good promotion service. :-)

Sincerely,
Anders
Get Books Daily

Offline Michael J Elliott

• Frankston, Victoria, AUSTRALIA
  • Dreams are the architects of our creativity.
    • View Profile
    • Official             Author Website
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2015, 04:31:41 PM »
Hi Anders,
As a newbie (only writing since January), I'm interested in your service but is it only for discounted titles? I have three stories out which are all permantely priced at 99c because they are basically to get myself known and to generate some interest in my upcoming collection of short horror stories, Portraits Of Dread in which these three stories will appear. Would my titles be eligible for inclusion?

Online Dragovian

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2015, 04:35:12 PM »
Avarian, I'm always glad to see more promotional outlets open up, for purely selfish reasons. And no one can say you aren't giving people a fair deal to help you get off the ground.

Online Gabriella West

• San Francisco, CA
  • LGBT historical fiction and romance
    • View Profile
    • GabriellaWest.net
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2015, 04:56:17 PM »
Quick question, Anders, do you need the links as well? The list just says "Retailers," which is a bit vague. I'll be submitting a title soon. Thanks.

For copyediting & proofreading, visit Edit for Indies: http://editforindies.com|Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/gabriellawest|

Offline Avarian

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Get Books Daily
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2015, 04:54:15 AM »
Hi Anders,
As a newbie (only writing since January), I'm interested in your service but is it only for discounted titles? I have three stories out which are all permantely priced at 99c because they are basically to get myself known and to generate some interest in my upcoming collection of short horror stories, Portraits Of Dread in which these three stories will appear. Would my titles be eligible for inclusion?
Hi Michael,

When did you publish your individual titles? If one of them is within the last 2 months then we can promote it as a new release. Your title does not need to be discounted for this type of promotion.
Even if your titles should be older than 2 months, you are welcome to send me a mail at partners@getbooksdaily.com with the titles, and I will work something out.

The other promotions we run are required to be discounted or permafree, and I would recommend a discounted promotion for you yet, since you are not likely to get enough sell-through to your other titles for it to be worthwhile.

Sincerely,
Anders
Get Books Daily

Sendt fra min GT-I9506 med Tapatalk

Offline Avarian

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Get Books Daily
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2015, 04:57:35 AM »
Quick question, Anders, do you need the links as well? The list just says "Retailers," which is a bit vague. I'll be submitting a title soon. Thanks.
Hi Gabriella,

We will update our entire booking process in a short while, where you will be able to choose from the retailers we offer.
Until then we just need the names of the retailers. You can see the ones we offer on the frontpage of our website, and I will specify them in the partner section as soon as I am back at the computer, so it will be easy to find out.

Looking forward to your promotion.

Sincerely,
Anders
Get Books Daily

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2015, 05:12:59 AM »
Sent you my last release.

Offline Avarian

• Denmark
    • View Profile
    • Get Books Daily
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2015, 07:23:21 AM »
Sent you my last release.
Thank you, Timothy.

I'll get it scheduled and confirm it via mail.

Sincerely,
Anders
Get Books Daily