Kindle Forum banner

Echo officially released: available for anyone

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Chad Winters 
#1 ·

Price is $179.99 In stock July 14.

See less See more
#3 ·
SeymourKopath said:
I heard they sent out notices relatively recently asking early adopters to please post reviews. . . . impressive star average, as well!

I looked at the few one stars and they all basically said "it's not Siri" . . . so I take the comments of clear apple fans with a grain of salt. (And I'm not even a person who feels like it'd be a good fit for our household.) I also suspect most of those tried some of the things they complain it doesn't have early on, and haven't bothered to check again and see if it's been added. ::)

#6 ·
I still haven't used the remote, but it's sitting there next to the place I usually keep the Echo.

#8 ·
Other than trying it out, I haven't use the remote. I don't think I would miss it, though if I made a conscious effort to learn to use it I might change that view.

As for the general release, I would like a second Echo, but I don't think that I am willing to pay the price. I'd mostly use it to listen to music while falling asleep in my bedroom. Not sure that is worth it!

#9 ·
I never used the remote and never thought I would until I got a couple of Philips Hue Lux lights to use with Alexa.  I had to dig out the remote so that I could use it to turn a light on or off if I wasn't in the room with Alexa. I don't see myself using it for anything else, but you never know what might be coming next.  Since they're charging extra for it now, I'm glad I have one. 

#10 ·
Amazon just announced an SDK for the Echo, meaning now a lot of developers will be able to add new features to the echo.  I have no idea how that'll work.  Will there be an Echo app store?  Will new capabilities just appear and will we be notified?  Whichever way it works I suspect this is the beginning of the Echo becoming truly useful and blossoming.

But that was just their little announcement.  Other hardware manufacturers will also be able to add Alexa to their products.  Who know what that could bring us!  You might be able to tell your lawnmower to mow the lawn.  Or set an alarm to start your microwave.  Or tell your alarm clock to shut up!  I like that one. :)

I've always thought the Echo had a lot of possibilities but it never occurred to me they might do something like this.  I can't wait to see what comes of it.

Barry

Barry

#11 ·
So for those of you have have been using the Echo, what do you use it for mainly? Playing music? Does it read the top news headlines if you ask? I agree that the new SDK will lead to uses that people hadn't even considered, which is the neat thing about new technology like this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.