Kindle Forum banner

Amazon's 20th Anniversary

6K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  hamerfan 
#1 ·
From one of the newsfeeds that DH reads:

Amazon to celebrate 20th anniversary with huge sale starting July 12th

This July marks the 20th anniversary for Amazon. The world's largest internet retailer is rumored to be celebrating the occasion with a major week-long sale event. An Amazon employee has said on Reddit that Amazon is "packing their warehouses to the brim this week and next in anticipation of the sales." Several others, from mail carriers to employees to sellers on Amazon, have chimed in to confirm the rumor. You can probably expect lightning deals that last just a few hours each throughout the week of July 12th. I'll be sure to keep you informed of any Fire TV and other streaming/Android related deals, so be sure to check AFTVnews often that week. Read on for some of the comments confirming the big sale.

link: http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-to-celebrate-20th-anniversary-with-huge-sale-starting-july-12th/

#4 ·
I know we've been Amazon customers from almost the beginning.  It's just so convenient to have my purchases magically appear.  And once we moved to Austin and it cut down on driving and dealing with people, we started to rely on them even more.  If only we had purchased stock at the beginning...
I am hoping for some sales on Kindle books - my wish list is over 300 items again.

#5 ·
Andra said:
I know we've been Amazon customers from almost the beginning. It's just so convenient to have my purchases magically appear. And once we moved to Austin and it cut down on driving and dealing with people, we started to rely on them even more. If only we had purchased stock at the beginning...
I know, right? ;D

My dad was a customer almost from the first . . . . he bought books all the time and was always keen on a good deal. . . . . we were living in the UK at the time and he told me about it and how cool it was. I think I set up an account, but didn't do much with it but browse . . .there was still the shipping to deal with, though our address was a US military PO box. Anyway, there were plenty of books available in the village bookshop so I wasn't dying for something to read. :) When we got back to the states in '96, though, I definitely started using it more, again mostly for browsing to see what was out there . . . but most of what I wanted was readily available in 'brick and mortar' stores, and I LIKED browsing the bookstores. :D So it was probably '97 before I really realized the value of internet shopping -- my first actual order placed was Oct 27, 1997 . . . for a CD and book of music for Godspell that was NOT available at my local music store.

And I never looked back. :D

I am hoping for some sales on Kindle books - my wish list is over 300 items again.
Or even a sale on kindles . . . . If the Voyage went on sale I'd probably get one for my son . . . he was fondling mine yesterday and marveling at how much lighter it was than his PW. :D

#9 ·
Nothing for me in the snail mail - but I'll be watching for this.

#10 ·
Hmmm... I wonder if it will be the same in the UK store.

I'm not sure when amazon.co.uk started, but I just checked my order record and my first purchase was in 1998! 17 years! I had no idea I'd been a customer for that long.

I hope we get some bargains too - though, typically, I'm off work for this coming week and so would have been free to keep tabs on any lightning deals, but the week after when it looks like it's all happening, I'll be back at work.  :'(

#11 ·
There is a big ad at the top of the Amazon page proclaiming that July 15th is Prime Day, bigger than Black Friday, but for Prime members only.

#12 ·
#16 ·
Cherise Kelley said:
I suspect that maybe Amazon is singlehandedly keeping the post offices relevant.
This past Monday, I learned from the USPS letter carrier who delivers mail to my office (where a package was attempted to be delivered on Sunday) - that for Amazon only, USPS now delivers Amazon packages on Sunday. How 'bout that!

#17 ·
CegAbq said:
This past Monday, I learned from the USPS letter carrier who delivers mail to my office (where a package was attempted to be delivered on Sunday) - that for Amazon only, USPS now delivers Amazon packages on Sunday. How 'bout that!
Whoa. Now THAT is clout. It's kind of scary. I mean, the USPS is part of the US Government, and Amazon is a privately owned corporation...

Maybe Amazon cut a deal with the military over its drone technology. :p

#18 ·
CegAbq said:
Oh, yeah . . . I did know that -- because I got something delivered a week or so ago, ON a Sunday, from a USPS mail truck. I think it's a special, separate contract, more like the arrangements the Zon has with the purely commercial bulk carriers.

The USPS, by the way, isn't technically part of the government . . . more like a quasi-governmental agency, but not a government owned corporation either. Though it's specifically authorized in the Constitution, in 1971, an act was passed that reorganized its operations. The Postmaster General no longer a cabinet post (though the board of governors, who select the PG and deputy PG, is appointed by the president) and they don't receive government funding -- which means they gotta come up with ways to pay the bills. :) I guess a contract with Amazon for Sunday delivery is one of 'em!

#20 ·
I have received Sunday delivery from Amazon, but it was several months ago.  They often ship things to me via USPS.

#21 ·
I got a delivery just this yesterday.  Silly, really: it wasn't anything major and I'd gotten 'no rush' shipping because, well, I wasn't in a rush. And: dollar back for ebooks. ::)

I ordered it early last week. It definitely wasn't rushed, but I thought it odd that they delivered it Sunday rather than, say, today.

Maybe the contract is has some sort of a clause that says they have to utilize USPS at some minimum level on a Sunday so that it's worth it to run the trucks.

#24 ·
#25 ·
Anyone have a suggestion on the best way to keep up with the offerings tomorrow?

#26 ·
CegAbq said:
Anyone have a suggestion on the best way to keep up with the offerings tomorrow?
I don't know if there's a "best" way. I guess you could put everything you're interested in on your wishlist and check that from time to time.
I know I'm ready. I'm usually up at this time so it's not like I'm itching to spend money, but there are one or two things I'll be checking on to see if they're worth buying.
Best of luck to everyone looking to score a good deal!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.