KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: WooHoo! Third book in a series, used to be the trick. Thread ended.  (Read 82165 times)  

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
Re: WooHoo! Third book in a series, is the trick. Book 4 starts page 7.
« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2015, 03:30:50 AM »
77 on Day 3.
67 on Day 2.
78 on Day 1, Book 4.

Offline CM Raymond

• View Profile
    • Christopher M. Raymond
« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2015, 05:40:35 AM »
77 on Day 3.
67 on Day 2.
78 on Day 1, Book 4.

Nice work Timothy.

Can you remind me/us, did you do any paid promos or is this just the momentum of multiple books in the series (I don't want to wade through the pages).

Thanks

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2015, 05:56:50 AM »
Can you remind me/us, did you do any paid promos or is this just the momentum of multiple books in the series (I don't want to wade through the pages).

This is just the momentum of adding books to a series.

There has been no paid advertising of any kind. I did a few Facebook group posts early on, which failed, so I haven't bothered since book 2. I have them all listed with  bookpromocoop.com. A new release beta test of a new promotion site failed. I have them in my signature here, and the first one listed on a games forum signature. I have a series website, but haven't checked if it has any traffic yet. I have a Facebook page with 35 likes, and a mailing list with 14 subscribers, up 4 since the new book release.

As far as I can see, it's pure momentum from adding the 3rd book in a series where each book covers about one to three weeks of time, day by day. Book 3 was the real start the ball rolling event, as it really does become a roller coaster ride after a dramatic start and then a slow build up. Once the brakes come off, the story really becomes "Buckle up, lock and load", which book 4 continues from the moment book 3 ends. Book 5 also continues on from the moment book 4 ends, so I'm now on the clock to have that one out in a months time.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #178 on: August 12, 2015, 03:07:15 AM »
54 on Day 4.

Offline CM Raymond

• View Profile
    • Christopher M. Raymond
« Reply #179 on: August 12, 2015, 06:47:28 AM »
This is just the momentum of adding books to a series.

There has been no paid advertising of any kind. I did a few Facebook group posts early on, which failed, so I haven't bothered since book 2. I have them all listed with  bookpromocoop.com. A new release beta test of a new promotion site failed. I have them in my signature here, and the first one listed on a games forum signature. I have a series website, but haven't checked if it has any traffic yet. I have a Facebook page with 35 likes, and a mailing list with 14 subscribers, up 4 since the new book release.

As far as I can see, it's pure momentum from adding the 3rd book in a series where each book covers about one to three weeks of time, day by day. Book 3 was the real start the ball rolling event, as it really does become a roller coaster ride after a dramatic start and then a slow build up. Once the brakes come off, the story really becomes "Buckle up, lock and load", which book 4 continues from the moment book 3 ends. Book 5 also continues on from the moment book 4 ends, so I'm now on the clock to have that one out in a months time.

OK, that makes this even more interesting to follow. Thanks and keep up the posting.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #180 on: August 13, 2015, 04:12:52 AM »
84 on Day 5.

Two things happened today.
The message about the release Amazon lets you send a couple of days after, arrived in the emails today. So anyone following me, would have received a nudge to buy the new book. All I said on it was "Buckle up, lock and load."  :D
The second arrived a few hours later, and was a more general email with suggestions based on my viewing history, which had the first and third books in the series on it.
Given the number of 1st book buys today, I assume a lot of people received the same email as I did.

The other thing of note was another new record for Reads.

The thing which gets me though is, this was Wednesday in the US, which is usually my lowest day in terms of sales each week. It just shows the power of Amazon mail outs, once you attract enough attention to be featured in them.

I hit 113 in Science fiction and am currently 114, on author rankings. Oh so close to my next goal of cracking the top 100 in the science fiction category.

Offline danielsolomonkaplan

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 13, 2015, 05:17:07 PM »
This thread is so motivational to me. Getting my third book out next month.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #182 on: August 13, 2015, 08:36:27 PM »
I've made it into the top 100 authors for Science Fiction !!!

Science fiction & fantasy - #236

Kindle ebooks - #1369

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #183 on: August 13, 2015, 09:04:47 PM »
I sold 2 or 3 this month.

I should probably just quit

Floyd Looney

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #184 on: August 13, 2015, 09:16:18 PM »
I sold 2 or 3 this month.
I should probably just quit

Up until a month ago, I might have said the same thing.

I didn't, because I had this story inside of me I had to get out, so sales at that point wasn't really an issue. I figured, get it out of my head and onto the screen, and see what happens after. If no-one buys it, well at least its not haunting me anymore.

Well look what happened!

Its like everyone keeps saying - keep writing, releasing and then writing more. Sometime along the way, something will hit the right spot, and it all takes off for you.

Something about my 3rd novel really worked, and that's all it takes. And you know what? What I think worked wasn't part of my original stuff to get out of my head. The story just went there, and I ran with it. One book turned into 3, with the third one still in progress, being 5 in the series.

So while more than half of my sales at the moment are book 4, as people catch up, I still get a good chunk of 1st  book buyers and readers each day, which keep the ball rolling. I can see the flow along each book, day by day.

So no negative thought processes. The cosmos brings you what you dwell on, so keep positive. If you cant stay positive, distract yourself so you dont think about it at all. Writing is a good distraction. :)

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #185 on: August 13, 2015, 09:27:41 PM »
Something else different, I just noticed:

One of my sub-categories just changed on my 1st in series:

#3,317 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store) I've not seen the 3rd listing before.

Makes me wish it was easier to see all the sub-categories my books are in, and what their rank is.

Edit: And I just saw this:

Amazon Author Rankbeta  (What's this?)   #96 in Books > Teens   #98 in Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction

« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:43:18 PM by TimothyEllis »

Offline SunshineOnMe

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 13, 2015, 09:43:53 PM »
I'm so freaking excited for you!!

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2015, 12:28:38 AM »
Would it still be considered "space marine" if the main character is the worst acting-quartermaster the fleet ever had...

:D

Floyd Looney

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2015, 12:31:42 AM »
Would it still be considered "space marine" if the main character is the worst acting-quartermaster the fleet ever had...

I'd give that a yes. Especially if he has to pick up a gun and fire it an enemy once in the book. Marine could cover any infantry based rank, not just "marines".

A quartermaster viewpoint would be quite different I would think. Worst one or otherwise.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2015, 03:27:37 AM »
What a day!  :D

I shamelessly admit to cheering my stats on to new heights today. About five times as I recall.

At the end of July, I doubled all my previous sales in one month.
Today, 13 US days into August, I doubled all previous sales again.

105 for Day 6. 

63 of them were book 4, but 20 were book 1, which hopefully flow into the other books in the next few days.

Consequently, a new money high for a day as well.

Stats watching is exhausting enough, without me writing battle scenes at the same time.  ;D

Offline CM Raymond

• View Profile
    • Christopher M. Raymond
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2015, 06:42:34 AM »
This thread is so motivational to me. Getting my third book out next month.

You should do a similar thread when you get number three out.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2015, 06:44:14 AM »
You should do a similar thread when you get number three out.

It certainly would be interesting to see someone else doing the same. If more people can do it, it gives so much more hope that everyone can.

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2015, 10:22:50 PM »
It certainly would be interesting to see someone else doing the same. If more people can do it, it gives so much more hope that everyone can.

I'll get around to it eventually.  But I'm still finishing up book 1 of my space trilogy.  I plan on finishing all three before publishing any of them, so it will be months to go yet.   :(  When the time comes, though, I might make a thread.  We'll see.  *shrug*
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2015, 12:14:52 AM »

Maybe eventually. I need focus. I need motivation. I need peace & quiet. I need time. I need $$$. I dunno.... counseling maybe... lol

Floyd Looney

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2015, 03:41:04 AM »
This will be my last post of numbers, as it's been a high-low day for me, and the cosmos obviously has a message for me. I left the house this afternoon on a high with a new highest sales figure, and a few minutes later, in the course of 2 seconds, I went from really high to really low. A dog ran in front of my car. There was nothing I could do, and I didn't know what had hit me until I stopped and looked back. The dog later died. I love all animals, and dogs love me. Being empathic, I felt its pain, and still do. So my new high is at a time when I'm at a very deep low.

The whole roller coaster ride is listed here, so it can be seen at a glance.

The message as far as writing is concerned seems to be:
-series are good for incremental reader gains. Each new release boosts you to a higher level, as long as you can hold them with you.
-the beginning of each should have something really gripping to hold the reader with, and make them buy.
-if you cant do it with all the books in the series, make sure one of the first three does have it. It only takes one 'cant put it down' book in the series to sell the series as a whole. As long as each new book continues to hold them somehow. If you can do it with the first book, all the better. Mine was number three, which had a better cover, goes into high gear about a quarter in with no warning, and a first chapter written last, to add exactly the grab em it was lacking to start with. Its also why its a good idea to have an editor, or someone, read your first draft, precisely to point out the book has no reader hook, or what you have wont work.
-release on a schedule, 4-6 weeks is my suggestion. You have to keep the momentum going. Once you lose the traction, you have to start promoting to keep the numbers. And there is a lot of benefit in keeping a book in the new release list all the time.
-Make sure the readers know the next book is coming. Name the next book in your backmatter - "Batman will return in 'Holy underwear on the outside.'"
-List the series titles at the bottom of each book's blurb, and update them all as you release the new one. Don't blurb them, just a subtle list.
-Don't expect sales to take off immediately, but work on the basis that one of your books should hit the jackpot for you. If they dont, move on to the next series. When one finally does, it will trigger sales across your whole portfolio.

That's all I can think of for now, and why this worked for me.

I've no idea how long this momentum will last, but third book kicked it off for me, and 4th book kicked it to another level. 5th book in progress and more planned. How long the series will be is an unknown, but the readers seem to like this.

Oh, and something I've noticed with the 4th book, the reviews are coming faster now. Some interesting points being made too, several of which have given me ideas for the future.

144 on Day 7. No bananas today. The cosmos sends you a lesson when you use too many.
105 for Day 6.
84 on Day 5.
54 on Day 4.
77 on Day 3.
67 on Day 2.
78 on Day 1, Book 4.
58 on Day 27.
40 on Day 26.
36 on Day 25.
38 on Day 24.
68 on Day 23. 
55 on Day 22.
47 on Day 21.
29 on Day 20.
23 on Day 19.
23 on Day 18.
18 on Day 17.
23 on Day 16.
26 on Day 15.
34 on Day 14.
25 on Day 13.
33 on Day 12.
27 on Day 11.
19 on Day 10.
15 on Day 9.
17 on Day 8.
15 on day 7.
9 on day 6.
10 on day 5.
10 on day 4.
9 on day 3.
13 on day 2.
18 on day 1.

10 for the first 11 days of the month.

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2015, 10:38:30 AM »
Thanks for sharing and I can empathize.  We have a shih tzu that was lost for only a day and my boys cried.  I can imagine losing one for good and feel for the owner and of course yourself as the accident happened.

You're keeping it in perspective so that is good imho.  Maybe you can post weekly or some other schedule once you feel better.  I was following you daily :)

All our best to you and yours!
SM  :)

edited for poor grammar  :-[
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 10:50:22 AM by Salvador Mercer »

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2015, 10:48:41 AM »
I hope you'll feel better soon.

Floyd Looney

Offline Lady Q

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »
Happy for your success (yay!), but sad about the dog. :(

Offline Jeff Tanyard

• Georgia
  • Wait and hope.
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2015, 09:10:24 PM »
Sorry about the dog, man.   :(
            v  v  v   Short Stories   v  v  v                   Anthology       vvv FREE! vvv

Jeff Tanyard | Author Website

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2015, 09:33:46 PM »
Feeling better today, and even got a chapter written last night. Although who knows if its even legible or not.

I'm ranking #92 in science fiction today, and #235 in sc-fi and fantasy.

Once you hit the top 100 as an author in a major category, it seems the breaks/brakes come off even more.

The spiral really shows on my red line, although it wonks all over the place at times.

With the first book, no traction, no momentum.
Much the same with 2nd book, but the release spiked me to 5's a day for a few days, but with no momentum.
But...2 months sales of the first 2 books at 1 or 2 a day, meant when book 3 came out, I had an immediate spike to 18, and the momentum held me above ten for several weeks.
About 2 weeks of tens and suddenly I spike up into the 20's, as my rank improves and so does visibility.
About 12 days later, this ramps up into the 30's, and hovers between 25 and 35 for a week, before the rank catches up, the next lot of emails go out, and then...
the 4th book releases, and it spikes into the 60's, drops back to the 40 level for a few days, and then goes ballistic.

I now have the number of first book buys each day, which I used to have for the first 3 combined. While this varies a bit, I can see the sales numbers flowing along the books, as people buy them one at a time.

Each time you go up a level with the release of a new book, you spike from all the previous readers buying the new one, and the spike improves your rank to get you seen by a whole new group of people, who start reading your first book. The process then feeds itself.

Its all about momentum. It can take months and several books to make any traction with a new release, but it all builds on itself. You just have to keep the momentum going.

Today is another 100+ day, so its looking like I may now have cracked this level. I'll know for sure when I see what next Tuesday does.

Its a roller coaster ride for sure. But the backbone of it is - Have the next book in the series ready on time, as close to 30 days as you can get. Holding the momentum is very important, and being slow to release the next book could start the spiral going down instead of up.

These are just my observations anyway.

I'm totally blown away by how my series is doing now.