KB Featured Book
Stone and Silt
by Harvey Chute

$2.99
Kindle Edition published 2013-08-14
Bestseller ranking: 713665

Product Description
Big Al's Books & Pals 2014 Readers' Choice Awards: Young Adult Nominee

A ruthless murder and a stolen shipment of gold.

At school, sixteen-year-old Nikaia Wales endures the taunts of bullies who call her a “half-breed.” At home, she worries about how her family will react if she reveals her growing feelings for the quiet boy next door.

Those are soon the least of her troubles. Nikaia discovers a hidden cache of gold, and when police find a corpse nearby, her father becomes a suspect. Worse, Elias Doyle is circling, hungry to avenge his brother’s death.

Nikaia desperately searches for clues to save her father. In her quest to find the killer, she learns about the power of family, friendship, and young love....

Author Topic: WooHoo! Third book in a series, used to be the trick. Thread ended.  (Read 82167 times)  

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
Re: WooHoo! Third book is the trick.
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2015, 09:26:32 PM »
Just wanted to say "congratulations" again, Timothy.  I'm really happy for you, man.   :)
As far as your covers go, I think the third one conforms to some of the "rules" of cover design more than the first two.  The title is at the thirds, for example.  Read this article and see if you agree:
http://www.coverdesignstudio.com/layout-rule-of-thirds-diagonal-scan-and-more/
That might have something to do with it.  *shrug*  Anyway, just a thought.
By the way... do you have any plans for a box set?  Just curious.  That seems to be the thing to do at some point.

Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it for reading when my brain isn't in the 27th century.

I'll likely do a box set of the first 4, once the 5th one is released. But as I'm considering doing a series of novellas in the same universe before book 5, there will be a lag time. In any case, there is no point in doing a box set until the tail stops wagging after book 4. But sometime, yes.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2015, 12:12:00 AM »
OMG!  :D

27 on Day 11 -

19 on Day 10.
15 on Day 9.
17 on Day 8.
15 on day 7.
9 on day 6.
10 on day 5.
10 on day 4.
9 on day 3.
13 on day 2.
18 on day 1.

I decided to reverse the order.

There seem to be 2 things happening at the moment.

1. The email out late last night my time, seems to have paid off nicely today.

2. The first 2 books are in KU, and my KU reads spiked to a new high today as well. But the surprising thing is, I think readers are buying the 3rd book since its not in KU yet. I'm beyond the original number of buys for books 1 and 2, before the release of book 3, and yet book 3 is still selling well above the other 2. As both 1 and 2 have 30+ full reads, this could account for the higher 3 sales.

Offline Christina Ochs

• The Lower 48
    • View Profile
    • The Rolling Writer
« Reply #77 on: July 23, 2015, 06:56:26 AM »
Wow, congratulations! It's great to see all of those two-digit numbers in the rankings. As a very new series-writer (1 book out, the second at 60%, 5 books planned), this is super-motivating. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #78 on: July 23, 2015, 07:03:17 AM »
Wow, congratulations! It's great to see all of those two-digit numbers in the rankings. As a very new series-writer (1 book out, the second at 60%, 5 books planned), this is super-motivating. Thanks for sharing!

Its keeping me on target too. I have a month to get book 4 out now.

Glad its motivating others.

At first I thought it was just a spike for the 3rd book. But that spike was enough to generate momentum. While one day it will flatline as people say, for now its like surfing a big wave. And I hope by the time this wave passes, the next book will be out and it will do a much larger spike and the new wave will be bigger again.

At least, that's the theory. As long as people dont get bored with the thread, I'll keep going with it, so those starting out their own series, can see the progression.

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Re: WooHoo! Third book in a series, is the trick.
« Reply #79 on: July 23, 2015, 07:15:17 AM »
I received an email with 2 of my books on it yesterday, and this morning I find 17 sales already. So the email must have found some new interested people.

Is the following correct?

Books appearing in those emails are tailored to you. That is, your books may be appearing because you have viewed them a lot. They might not be appearing in other customers' emails.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline L.B

• View Profile
    • Lyrabarnett.com
« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2015, 07:16:06 AM »
Please keep the thread going Timothy, it's great to see sales progress with releases like this.

Congratulations on moving up a level!

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2015, 07:20:59 AM »
Is the following correct?

Books appearing in those emails are tailored to you. That is, your books may be appearing because you have viewed them a lot. They might not be appearing in other customers' emails.

Who actually knows? You might be right.

However, the 24 hour period beginning with that email saw a big spike in sales and readings. New records for both, on the same day. Co-incidence?

Offline Genevieve Mckay

• Pacific
    • View Profile
    • Genevieve Mckay Blog
« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2015, 07:25:44 AM »
That's fabulous! Congratulations  :D

Genevieve Mckay | Facebook Author Page | Twitter | Website

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #83 on: July 24, 2015, 05:31:00 AM »
33 on Day 12 -

27 on Day 11
19 on Day 10.
15 on Day 9.
17 on Day 8.
15 on day 7.
9 on day 6.
10 on day 5.
10 on day 4.
9 on day 3.
13 on day 2.
18 on day 1.

All 3 books are now top 100 in all 3 showing sub-categories.
All 3 books are in the top 50 of 1 sub-category.

There was a resurgence of the 2nd book today, which seemed to be falling behind, as if a lot of people finished reading the 1st one, and bought the 2nd.

My author rank went up to 9,690 in all books, 840 in science fiction & fantasy, and 362 the day before in science fiction.
1st book made 13,380, 2nd is currently 13,991, 3rd made 15,476.

Interestingly, the 3rd book is still outselling the first 2, but has a lower rank. However, both the first 2 books are in KU, and reads yesterday were yet another daily high.

Well on track for my first goal.  :D In 3 months when I get paid for the first time, a lot of things will start to change for me.  8)

Oh, edit: Several things that might be adding to the momentum. 1 I stuffed the keywords, adding in all the ones I couldn't use when I thought we were limited to 7 words. So the books should be appearing in more subcategories now. I had KDP add them to several other categories outside of sci-fi. I also spent some time tweaking the first 2 covers, so the ships and stations stand out better. It makes them better looking covers. I redid keywords on all my books, and covers on 5 others. No change in the comatose state of the others however, but they are not novels.

« Last Edit: July 24, 2015, 05:36:54 AM by TimothyEllis »

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »
I want to borrow your readers! :p

Floyd Looney

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2015, 04:09:47 PM »
I want to borrow your readers! :p

Someone already did. Huge drop in reads yesterday, and the day before, like 70% down on 3 days ago. Sales remained strong though.

25 on Day 13. Sorry, forgot to update last night. Very slow start to the day though.
33 on Day 12
27 on Day 11
19 on Day 10.
15 on Day 9.
17 on Day 8.
15 on day 7.
9 on day 6.
10 on day 5.
10 on day 4.
9 on day 3.
13 on day 2.
18 on day 1.

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2015, 04:29:20 PM »
P2F, congrats!

Offline geronl

• View Profile
    • Floyd Looney's Sci-Fi
« Reply #87 on: July 25, 2015, 06:38:29 PM »
Someone already did. Huge drop in reads yesterday, and the day before, like 70% down on 3 days ago. Sales remained strong though.

I need to figure out how to grab your cape!

Floyd Looney

Offline danielsolomonkaplan

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 25, 2015, 07:15:46 PM »
Great job! That's just the motivation I needed to get back to working on my third book.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #89 on: July 25, 2015, 07:21:37 PM »
I need to figure out how to grab your cape!

Didn't you watch the Incredibles? Capes are out.

Offline Marseille, France or Bust

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 25, 2015, 08:18:31 PM »
That is an awesome review and sales bump. Congrats! Hope you are working on Book 4 for your fans!

I released my 3rd novel in the Hunter Legacy series yesterday.

Today I found a spike in my sales, to 16 units sold !!! My biggest day ever.  :D
And its still the 12th in the US.

What I found interesting, is that in several cases, all 3 books sold, suggesting that the 3rd book has flowed backward to the first 2.

I also had my first sales in Canada, being all three, and the 3rd book sold in .de for the first time, with reads of the other 2 showing. (First 2 are on KU, but the third wont be until just before the 4th comes out.

My reads also skyrocketed yesterday. From the 800 mark, up to just under 3k.

What may be a factor, is the 3rd cover is a lot better than the first 2. imo.

The marketing I did was to my Facebook page (45 saw it, the page has only 32 likes), my first mailchimp email (which I stuffed up) to only 4 people, updating my thread and signature here, and updating my series domain front page.

On Facebook, one of my fans posted this: "An absolutely first class read.  Thoroughly captivating with almost continual battles. Can't wait for book 4.;D :D 8)

Now it will be interesting to see what reviews come in, and if the momentum actually increases now.

Patrice Williams Marks | Website/Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter | Youtube

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #91 on: July 25, 2015, 08:32:18 PM »
That is an awesome review and sales bump. Congrats! Hope you are working on Book 4 for your fans!

Yes. I'm trying to figure out exactly where it end though. I'm already well past the previous longest book, and not anywhere close to where I want to end it. So I'm trying to figure if I can end it about 20k ago. If I do, I need to add some more in somewhere to make it a bit longer, but I have some ideas for places where I scrimped on possible description at the time, not wanting to be too long winded. Ironically, I was thinking of doing novellas in both the main areas, so I can rethink it and add them in as a sub-character telling what happened, while the MC was doing something else.

In any case, I want the next book out in 4 weeks time, max. 3 is better. I'm looking at a maximum of 6 weeks between releases. If I cut where I'm thinking, the edit process can begin now. And after, I'm a good 20% into the 5th book already.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #92 on: July 25, 2015, 09:46:48 PM »

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #93 on: July 26, 2015, 02:58:13 AM »
34 on Day 14.
25 on Day 13.
33 on Day 12.
27 on Day 11.
19 on Day 10.
15 on Day 9.
17 on Day 8.
15 on day 7.
9 on day 6.
10 on day 5.
10 on day 4.
9 on day 3.
13 on day 2.
18 on day 1.

Offline JoshuaFinancial

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 26, 2015, 04:37:41 PM »
Congrats!  Great to see your sales trending up up up! Long may they continue  :)

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #95 on: July 27, 2015, 03:47:00 AM »
26 on Day 15.
34 on Day 14.
25 on Day 13.
33 on Day 12.
27 on Day 11.
19 on Day 10.
15 on Day 9.
17 on Day 8.
15 on day 7.
9 on day 6.
10 on day 5.
10 on day 4.
9 on day 3.
13 on day 2.
18 on day 1.

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #96 on: July 27, 2015, 05:57:25 PM »
4 days to the end of the month. Last 5 days have all been 25 or higher.

The big question is: *drumroll*

Will I double my previous past sales, in just this one month?

Offline Nathan Van Coops

• View Profile
    • Nathan Van Coops
« Reply #97 on: July 27, 2015, 10:03:45 PM »
Thanks for sharing this information, Timothy. Great to see your ongoing success. Have you given any thought to going permafree with book one to drive sales to the rest of the series? Since you have three books and the fourth coming, you are in a prime position for it. I only have two books and use permafree on book one. It does nothing for royalties obviously but it sure pays off in visibility due to sales rank. Just a thought you might want to consider now that your other sales are climbing organically anyway. Could be a good complimentary boost.

Nathan Van Coops | Facebook | Goodreads | Website

Offline TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #98 on: July 27, 2015, 10:28:07 PM »
Thanks for sharing this information, Timothy. Great to see your ongoing success. Have you given any thought to going permafree with book one to drive sales to the rest of the series? Since you have three books and the fourth coming, you are in a prime position for it. I only have two books and use permafree on book one. It does nothing for royalties obviously but it sure pays off in visibility due to sales rank. Just a thought you might want to consider now that your other sales are climbing organically anyway. Could be a good complimentary boost.

I've been thinking about it. Ultimately I probably will. But to do so, I'll need to put it on another site, which means going through the sign up process and then converting the book. Unless its free somewhere else, Amazon wont match it.

The other issue is, I'm doing very well off it in KU. For now, its worth more to me in reads, than as a promotional tool. I'll have to figure out the balance of it some time, but for now, I'm too focused on writing. Book 4 is in editing, and I'm trying to stuff a few thousand more words in it to bring it up to a decent length, and book 5 is already in progress as well.

Several of my fans keep asking when the next one comes out, so writing is my focus now, not marketing.

But eventually, yes, I'll need to address making the first book permafree. That might help me get a foothold in the Aussie market too, which the books generally are too expensive for at the moment.

Online PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2015, 03:22:31 AM »
This is a fascinating thread. I'm so happy for you, watching your sales go steadily upwards without any effort on your part. That's just brilliant! Long may it last.  :D

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub rejections: 58 and counting...

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac