Author Topic: Mailerlite Glitch  (Read 743 times)  

Offline TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Mailerlite Glitch
« on: July 15, 2018, 07:31:04 AM »
I sent out a new-release newsletter to thousands of subscribers, but it only went out to three. I looked at my subscribers list (Mailerlite), and there were only three subscribers.

Below is my chat with tech support.

Anybody else see this?

Silvestras:
Hi there!We would like to inform that we are updating elastic search index for your account. We use this index to display your subscriber list and ensure fast segmentation. 

However, while the update is in the process, you might not be able to access your subscriber list and schedule campaigns.We are doing our best to complete this process as soon as possible, but in some extreme cases re-indexing might take up to Wednesday, July 18, 2018.Once the update is done, you'll get the most reliable data about your subscriber list.Most importantly, while the update is in the process, your account data is safe. You can still get new subscribers through forms and integrations, automation workflows are not effected, email opens & clicks are tracked. We apologise for the inconvenience that this may cause.Best regards,
Silvestras
Customer Support Manager

Me:
I had over 3000 subscribers the other day, now I only have three that subscribed recently.I sent out an important campaign this morning. It has to go out on the fifteenth (new book announcement).How can I get that campaign to go out to my 3000 subscribers?
Silvestras:I'm afraid it will have to be delayed :( Sorry about that.Please check tomorrow - if the subscribers update has finished by then, you will be able to send it.Best regards,
Silvestras
Customer Support Manager

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
Re: Mailerlite Glitch
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 07:35:55 AM »
in some extreme cases re-indexing might take up to Wednesday, July 18, 2018.

Good grief. Some advance warning might be helpful, or offer the choice to postpone the update until a more convenient time (like when you don't have new releases going on!).

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub status: 2 for 70

Offline StacyC

• Seattle-ish
  • Run like you have to get to the library
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Claflin, Author
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 07:48:24 AM »
Someone in a FB group was dealing with the same issue yesterday.

I only use ML to funnel IF and BF subs through my autoresponder sequence. There have been too many blunders, like all of my autoresponders being deleted last year, which was what finally convinced me to move to ActiveCampaign. It's not perfect, but at least they're reliable and stable.

USA Today bestselling author of The Gone Trilogy & Dean's List: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Free Books

Offline Saboth

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 08:17:53 AM »
Yeah, I show 1 subscriber right now, and a message "Subscriber indexing is in progress...0%" is at the top. I believe it was 0% yesterday, too.

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 09:17:59 AM »
I have the same problem and also have a new release today. It would've been great for Mailerlite to let us know about this ahead of time!

Offline josielitton

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2018, 12:34:45 PM »
Spurred by the progress bar that isn't moving, I just sent them the following:
I've checked back through my email from you and confirmed that I didn't receive any advance notice about the update now in process that makes it impossible for me to send out the campaign I had planned. Such notice would have been very helpful. As it is, I'm left with the following questions: Are you planning to give notice with future updates? Are you planning a partial refund for the period when campaigns can't be sent? When will full functionality be restored to my account? Thanks very much for your assistance.

What a f-up! Who runs a business and doesn't let customers know in advance that they won't be able to use its most important feature for an unspecified length of time? Oh, right, Mailerlite.

Offline KD Ritchie

• View Profile
    • KD Ritchie - My Author Website
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2018, 01:01:13 PM »
Yes, this is the indexing but you can work around it. When you select your subscribers, you can head to groups and check all of them and it will blast it out to everyone that way :)

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2018, 02:07:04 PM »
Yes, this is the indexing but you can work around it. When you select your subscribers, you can head to groups and check all of them and it will blast it out to everyone that way :)
I can get to about half of my list that way, but one of my groups is missing thousands of members. (It says I have two.) I guess one list would be better than none, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline KD Ritchie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 02:39:20 PM »
I can get to about half of my list that way, but one of my groups is missing thousands of members. (It says I have two.) I guess one list would be better than none, though. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm sending out my first ever email to my list, so if it fails/bombs on recipients we shall know!

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2018, 02:42:41 PM »
I've been with Mailerlite for two years and have sent out over 300 campaigns. It's my experience that sending out a campaign while the dashboard says "indexing" is not a good idea. It's unlikely that your campaign will actually be sent.

I had this problem yesterday, contacted the chat function, they told me they'd reset something and it was fixed within 15 minutes. My combined subscriber number is not small either (56k).

Offline KD Ritchie

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2018, 02:55:21 PM »
FROM MAILERLITE ON 7/15/18, 2:45: (I messaged in chat as suggested, and here is what's up!)
Hi there!
Thanks for reaching out.
Yesterday, we experienced issues with our elastic search servers which are used for fast subscriber management and segmentation. You might have noticed that your subscriber list is loading slower than usual.

Dont worry, no data was lost

Our engineering team has been working hard to address this issue and managed to fix it. However, some accounts, including yours, need full subscriber re-indexing (subscriber counting). We kindly ask you to log out and log in again and then they should re-appear soon.

Thank you for your patience and understanding

The process might take from 10 minutes to a few hours, depending on the size of your subscriber list.
Moreover, there is a queue of accounts that need to be re-indexed. We plan that the process will be completed in the coming days. In some extreme cases, re-indexing might take up to Wednesday, July 18, 2018.

Most importantly, while the re-indexing is in the process, your account data is safe. You can still get new subscribers through forms and integrations, automation workflows are not affected, email opens & clicks are tracked. Everything works fine, except you wont be able to schedule new campaigns.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this may cause and hope for your understanding 🌹

Online ID Johnson

• Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 03:04:49 PM »
I got the same message from them when I contacted them, and that was hours ago. I told them I needed to send out my new release newsletter today and they said sorry. Even though some of my groups say they are larger, I can only send to three people.

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 04:20:36 PM »
Reading between the lines, I'm guessing that this is a major SNAFU over in Mailerliteville. If it were easily fixed, they'd have done it quickly for those who contacted them.

Maybe they're working through their customers starting with those with the most subscribers on their lists (like Patty).

I'm glad this didn't happen with my last newsletter, which was coordinated with a free day.

Online kcmorgan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 01:42:59 AM »
After 24 hours I'm 9% indexed, at this rate I won't be able to send out an email on my release day July 20th. :(

Offline PaulineMRoss

• Nairn, Scotland
    • View Profile
    • The Brightmoon Annals
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 02:07:21 AM »
I checked in this morning and the indexing is finished. Nothing else seems to have changed. The shuffling around within groups that I wanted to get done when this kicked off is just as painfully slow as ever. There's a lot I like about Mailerlite, but the recent changes don't seem to have improved much.

Pauline M. Ross (epic fantasy) Website | Mary Kingswood (Regency romances) Website 
Bookbub status: 2 for 70

Online Patty Jansen

• Sydney, Australia
  • Destroyer of Science Fiction
    • View Profile
    • Patty Jansen Author of SF and fantasy
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 02:34:20 AM »
What changes? I haven't really noticed any.

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
POSSIBLE SOLUTION
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 06:29:54 AM »
My reindexing was still at 0% this morning. I'm trying out the solution in bold right now. This is my conversation with ML:

Me: What's the prognosis on fixing the reindexing problem?
Remis: Thanks for reaching out. If you need to send an urgent email, please switch new subscriber management OFF via Account settings and send your campaign.FYI:Yesterday, we experienced issues with our elastic search servers which are used for fast subscriber management and segmentation. You might have noticed that your subscriber list is loading slower than usual.

Dont worry, no data was lost.

Our engineering team has been working hard to address this issue and managed to fix it. However, some accounts, including yours, need full subscriber re-indexing (subscriber counting). We kindly ask you to log out and log in again and then they should re-appear soon.

Thank you for your patience and understanding.

The process might take from 10 minutes to a few hours, depending on the size of your subscriber list. Moreover, there is a queue of accounts that need to be re-indexed. We plan that the process will be completed in the coming days. In some extreme cases, re-indexing might take up to Wednesday, July 18, 2018.

Most importantly, while the re-indexing is in the process, your account data is safe. You can still get new subscribers through forms and integrations, automation workflows are not affected, email opens & clicks are tracked. Everything works fine, except you wont be able to schedule new campaigns.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this may cause and hope for your understanding 🌹

Me: Are there any problems I'd see if I switch off New Subscriber Management?
Remis: No, there should be no problem. This could work as a temp solution, till indexing process is completed.Thanks, I'm doing that now.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:42:16 AM by TromboneAl »

Offline TromboneAl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 06:41:47 AM »
Here's what happened:

I turned off New Subscriber Management. As expected, all my segments disappeared, but that was okay.

Going to Subscribers, it told me I had 5,684, which was how many I had before I had done a recent purge. The real number should have been around 3,000.

I chose to send to everybody in the newsletter group.

I sent the new release newsletter. It went out to 3,030 recipients immediately, and people have started opening it. I wish they'd given me that workaround yesterday!

Conclusion: If you don't need segmentation, you can get your newsletter out now by turning off New Subscriber Management. Some numbers will be screwy, but it should work.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 06:43:40 AM by TromboneAl »

Online Dpock

• North Idaho
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 07:30:49 AM »
There may also be glitches importing new subscribers from Instafreebie giveaways. Since Friday I've given away about 100 books/previews on four different IF giveaways. My Mailerlite subscriber count has only increased by three. I doubt those 97 other subscribers via IF were already in my ML db (though it's not impossible either).