Author Topic: Can anyone recommend a great artist or editor?  (Read 555 times)  

Offline rockondon

• View Profile
    • RaymondCain.com
Can anyone recommend a great artist or editor?
« on: October 06, 2017, 05:15:10 PM »
I'm mainly in the market for a new editor but I'm curious to know what artists people recommend as well. Especially if they specialize in the fantasy genre.

Online Puddleduck

• View Profile
Re: Can anyone recommend a great artist or editor?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 05:23:02 PM »
Look at books in your genre that have covers you like. Look for who their cover artist was (this is frequently found on the copyright page of books, and sometimes on the physical covers). You can find a lot of great artists that way.

Offline ShayneRutherford

• Toronto, Ontario
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2017, 06:52:51 PM »
I'd recommend James at Bookfly for pretty much anything, including fantasy. Deranged Doctor Designs does a fair bit of fantasy. And our own Heather Hamilton-Senter does some nice fantasy and UF stuff.

Offline BJMAC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 07:47:55 PM »
I recommend Elayne at Serenity editing. I think she did a great job on my manuscript. She's also a hoot.

Offline VirginiaMcClain

• View Profile
    • Rain on a Summer's Afternoon
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2017, 08:54:28 PM »
Juan Carlos Barquet a million times over! He's not cheap, but man is he worth it. www.jcbarquet.com (He did the cover art for both Blade's Edge and Traitor's Hope.)
Warning: Stories may contain bad*ss women, possibly wielding katana
Virginia McClain | Blog | Website

Offline Kal241

• Things are never what they seem
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2017, 09:20:43 PM »
I'll throw my hat into the ring. I've only done one professional job (a ship on one of Timothy Ellis's book covers), but I have a long history with illustration/concepting.

An artist and a writer combined into one being. When you work with Kal, you get a 2-4-1 deal!  

Check out my artistry at: http://kal241.deviantart.com/
Writing samples of mine will be made available upon request.

Offline rockondon

• View Profile
    • RaymondCain.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2017, 08:38:01 AM »
Look at books in your genre that have covers you like. Look for who their cover artist was (this is frequently found on the copyright page of books, and sometimes on the physical covers). You can find a lot of great artists that way.
I did something similar for the cover of my first book. I scoured the internet for weeks before deciding on an artist, and wow is he ever amazing. Super expensive though. Maybe if my books start selling I'll hire him again.

It's an editor I'm really after though. Finding an editor that's available is proving more difficult for me than finding an artist.

Online C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2017, 08:46:04 AM »
Copy or developmental or both? You haven't mentioned your budget. That's an important part of it.  :)

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline rockondon

• View Profile
    • RaymondCain.com
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2017, 11:06:20 AM »
Copy or developmental or both? You haven't mentioned your budget. That's an important part of it.  :)
A copy editor.  And I suppose roughly $500-700 for a 70-80k novel.

Offline LiterallyJen

• Utah
  • Copy Editor
    • View Profile
    • Literally Jen
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2017, 05:50:59 PM »
I'd fit within your budget for copy editing, and I have a fairly open schedule at the moment. Let's chat soon!

I also have a major thing for mermaids, so I'd be a really good fit for you!

Online Dana L.

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2017, 07:24:42 AM »
I do copy editing and my rates fit in your budget. I'd love to edit your book for you. I always offer a free chapter of editing to a new client so you can get a feel for my style, and I really enjoy interacting with clients, answering questions, and giving you useful feedback on your book. Feel free to message me!

Offline CatherineM

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2017, 08:07:17 AM »
Hi rockondon,

I also do copy editing and would love to be able to take a look at some of your work and give you a quote if you're shopping around. Please feel free to message me.

Cathy Kennedy | facebook | facebook | goodreads

Offline Monique The Editrix

• View Profile
    • Monique The Editrix Editing Services
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2017, 08:11:29 AM »
Hi Rockondon,

Thought I'd throw my hat in the ring here. Due to a last-minute unavoidable cancellation, I have a spot open from the 12th and I'm offering a major discount to whoever takes the place as long as the novel is over 50k.

Offline m.a. petterson

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2017, 08:24:51 AM »
Martha Hayes used to work for one of the Big 5 publishers but is now Indie. She's edited all the books in my signature and I'm very satisfied.

http://www.dedicatededitor.com/

Melody Simmons created all the covers in my signature as well as five additional covers in other genres.

https://ebookindiecovers.com/tag/melody-simmons/

m.a. petterson | website

Online C. Rysalis

• The Writer's Lair
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2017, 08:44:14 AM »
Martha Hayes used to work for one of the Big 5 publishers but is now Indie. She's edited all the books in my signature and I'm very satisfied.

http://www.dedicatededitor.com/

I love Martha, but I think she'd break the OP's quoted budget.

I don't know any editors who work within that price range, so unfortunately I can't help.  :(
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 08:45:47 AM by C. Rysalis »

Olivia Rising | Author page

Offline Lynn McNamee

• Carolinas
    • View Profile
    • Red Adept Publishing
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 10:20:30 AM »
I recommend Streetlight Graphics for covers. They do all the covers for my publishing house.

We have editing services that fall within your price range: https://www.redadeptediting.com/editing-services/

Offline Joseph J Bailey

• View Profile
    • Joseph J. Bailey - Author
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 10:36:51 AM »
Within your price range for editing, I've enjoyed working with Carol Davis.

Rodrigo Gonzalez Toledo has done the cover art for several of my books (Spellslinger, Grak, Wild Mage, and Stone Singer) and does great work.

Joseph J. Bailey | Website | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline ireaderreview

• Books Butterfly - Connecting Readers to Authors
    • View Profile
    • Books Butterfly Book Promotions (Kindle, Nook, Apple, Kobo)
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 08:58:59 PM »
This is solid advice:

Look at the bestselling books in your genre and who the cover designers for those are
check enough books and you'll see PATTERNS - that some designers are very good at creating covers that sell
that some bestselling authors stick with certain designers because they consistently make covers that sell

You need to find a designer who is All Three Of

1) A good cover designer
2) Adept at designing covers that GET READERS TO CLICK on them and that GET READERS TO BUY
3) Experienced in your genre so knows what is working in Fall and Winter 2017 (only true for the very good designers)

Bonus: A cover designer who'll tell you to Buzz Off when/if you insist on making a cover that isn't going to sell (but which looks very nice and/or matches your image of what the book cover should be)

So what works for the bestselling authors in your genre are the best bets - those exact same cover designers

Here are our recommendations (from an internal project, however, I can verify that these are for the most part based on very good designers who make covers THAT SELL - we built this list almost completely based on which cover designers make covers that lead to book sales) -

1) GoOnWrite

2) Damonza

3) Syneca (for romance covers)

4) eBook Launch

5) BookFly

6) Covermint

7) BeSpoke Book Covers

8) The Cover Collection

9) Deranged Doctor Design

10) * Mariah Sinclair (very good at making covers that sell - perhaps should be with top 3)

Please Note: Top 3 are all pretty much #1
Rest are all basically in a band, so not much difference
eBookLaunch is very close to Top 3 but not quite there yet

11) Creative Paramita

12) The Book Design House (Scarlett Rugers)

13) BookBaby

Also: I see someone recommended Melody Simmons. Her work is good too

Our advice would be to pick 100% based on - Does this cover designer make covers that sell in my genre? Are some/few/many of the bestselling authors in my genre using covers from this cover designer?

that's it. not other criteria

If not, then, The best thing you can ask a cover designer if you are going with 'i like the designs' instead of 'works and covers sell books' is - ask if he has examples of books that use his/her covers and sell well. If not, then think ten times. Doesn't matter how pretty it is if the cover doesn't sell

Get 50 to 100 Sales for Your $1 Book! Get 2,000 to 5,000+ Downloads for your Free Run Books! Get 200 to 400+ Sales for Your $1 Box Set!

Books Butterfly | Free Book Promotion | Paid Book Promotion

Applies to Following Genres: Mysteries, Thrillers, Suspense, Romance, Christian, Non-Fiction, How To, Cookbooks, SciFi Thrillers, Memoirs, Romantic Erotica, Steamy Romance.
Please Note: We also promote in other genres.