Need Perfect Gift? Shop Amazon Gift Cards. Any Occasion.
KB Featured
Flight of the Tarantula Hawk
by Michael Allan Scott

$0.99
Kindle Edition published 2014-02-10
Bestseller ranking: 4698

Product Description
On the IndieReader Best Book list and featured on NBC's Daytime Show, the second book in the Lance Underphal Mystery series is part of a new breed of supernatural thrillers which can be read and enjoyed in any order. Dark, different, featuring a damaged psychic, this is one of those disturbing novels that keeps you guessing.

Download the sample or use the "Look inside" feature for a FREE E-book offer.

Supernatural Murder Mystery - Realtor Carla Simon has her first showing in nearly eighteen months. Recovering from a nervous breakdown, she arrives at the bank-owned foreclosure well ahead of her prospect. When her buyer pins her against the wall, it turns out to be the last house she'll ever show.

Looking for a new breed of supernatural thrillers? Paranormal mysteries of murder and suspense? Perhaps a psychic detective series which can be read and enjoyed in any order? Or maybe one of t...

Author Topic: First Person Present Tense (FPPT)  (Read 745 times)  

Offline Simply_J

• Northeast US
    • View Profile
Re: First Person Present Tense (FPPT)
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2017, 05:44:22 AM »
Has anyone had success with FPPT?

Ruby Dixon is one of those authors who masters this writing style successfully.

Online Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2017, 06:30:53 AM »
It's very common in all genres of romance

Very untrue! It can be found in all genres of Romance, but to say that it is "very common in all" of them is just absolutely wrong. One example: it is rarely found in those big, thick, costume-drama-type, Historical Romances. You can undoubtedly find a few there, but not commonly.

There are other Romance categories where it is also not common.

Online Word Fan

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2017, 06:56:59 AM »
...the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown [...] feels like the story is unfolding right around you. You experience all the protagonist's emotions along with him.

It's immersive if done properly. Done badly and it's like being in the shower with someone you hate

Almost no one can use it effectively. The vast majority (of the samples I've read, 95% at least) can't.

Present tense is like nails on a chalkboard to me [...] It really depends on the quality of the writing.

I think that it would be fair to say that, yes, writers write and readers read stories in First Person Present Tense, and, no, it is not so super-easy that anyone can do it any old time that they want.

If you want to write and be successful (i.e., readers like what you write) in any particular Person/Tense combination, then you, as an author, have to answer two important questions:

1) Is it appropriate for the story that I am telling?

2) Am I a good enough writer to do it effectively and correctly?

Your readers will tell you if you have done it at least well enough to satisfy them. However, this last thought is important if you are not to be just a churn-them-out hack:
There may be a ton of authors who've done well with FPPT, success wise. That doesn't mean they've actually mastered writing in FPPT. Yes, it's popular in some genres and sub-genres. That doesn't mean you should jump off the bridge with the rest of the pack.

Offline Lee Sutherland

• Los Angeles, CA, USA
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2017, 07:09:17 AM »
My newest release was FPPT and I haven't had a single complaint about the tense.

Lee Sutherland | Twitter

Offline Amanda M. Lee

• Listen to me, you will.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 07:40:47 AM »
I'm not picky at all when it comes to what I will read. I don't care about first or third person. I don't care if it's high fantasy or urban fantasy. I don't care if it's cozy or horror. The one thing I cannot read is present tense, though. It sets my teeth on edge to the point where I will no longer even try to read it.
In the grand scheme of things, though, I don't think it matters. People should write what they want. If it turns out that present tense turns off readers, you can always write something else. This is a learning endeavor.

Amanda M. Lee

Online brkingsolver

• Baltimore, MD
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2017, 08:16:01 AM »
I'm not picky at all when it comes to what I will read. I don't care about first or third person. I don't care if it's high fantasy or urban fantasy. I don't care if it's cozy or horror. The one thing I cannot read is present tense, though. It sets my teeth on edge to the point where I will no longer even try to read it.
In the grand scheme of things, though, I don't think it matters. People should write what they want. If it turns out that present tense turns off readers, you can always write something else. This is a learning endeavor.

^This^

Recently, I was half-way through a book before I realized it was FPPT. That was an exception. The prevalence of present tense in YA and NA is one reason I don't read them. Very, very few authors do it well.

BR Kingsolver | Author website

Online Stacy Claflin

• Seattle-ish
  • Run like you have to get to the library
    • View Profile
    • Stacy Claflin, Author
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2017, 08:32:23 AM »
At first I wasn't a fan of FPPT as a reader, but the more books I've read using it, the more I've grown to like it. I won't say that I prefer it to past (it really depends on the genre, and as a multi-genre reader and writer I can appreciate first, third, past, and present) but I do really like FPPT. What I love most is how it pulls me into the story, making me feel as though I'm really there, which is especially effective for YA/NA and romance.

I wrote a short story in FPPT a couple years ago and it was a fun exercise. Now I'm writing my first novel in in FPPT. I'm curious what my readers will think.

USA Today bestselling author of The Gone Trilogy & Dean's List: Website | Goodreads | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest | Free Books