Kindle Forum banner

Experienced Professional Proofreader Going Independent

57K views 437 replies 20 participants last post by  margdean56 
#1 ·
My name is Margaret Dean and I've worked as a freelance proofreader for professional publishing houses for the past thirty years. Now I'm bringing my expertise to the independent publishing market.

I'll go over your work with an experienced eye; I'll catch typos, correct spelling and punctuation errors, iron out grammar and usage glitches, and do whatever else is needed to give it the professional, literate polish it deserves.

All varieties of fiction welcome short of full-on erotica (romance-level sex scenes are fine); I'm a longtime SF & fantasy reader and won't boggle at alien terminology or invented languages. I can also handle non-fiction written for general audiences.

• Rates: $.35 per 100 words, with a $50.00 minimum, for a two-week turnaround. Rush rates (1 week turnaround or less) $.50 per 100 words.

• Software: Microsoft Word Track Changes

• Contact Information: Email me at margdean56@gmail.com

Special Introductory Offer: If you're an author I've never worked with before, you'll get 10% off the first job I receive from you.

Check out my profile at LinkedIn: <https://www.linkedin.com/in/margaret-r-dean/>

See less See more
#2 ·
Can you PM me and tell me which trad author/book you've edited? Esp. in the romance genre. I'm a hybrid author and know a number of authors' works so it'd help me decide if your style would work for me.

Thank you.

#8 ·
Someone who can correct French is a big sell. I still have an acquaintance who STILL laughs at a very basic error I made in a French curse in one of my novels, THE OPENING LINE!

#18 ·
Margaret just helped me with my new novel. This is the first time I've worked with her, and I can't say enough good things about her work. She was truly meticulous down to the tiniest missed/erroneous punctuation. My novel is 300+ pages long Word MS length. I initially thought I could do the proofreading myself, but now I know, there is no possible way I could've caught all those errors. A fresh pair of eyes is necessary, and it's even better if that pair of eyes belongs to Margaret.

She also caught some tiny inconsistencies which helped a lot, even though my story had gone through content edit and copy edit. Her suggestions for how to make proofreading revisions helped greatly to put finishing touches to my book and made it more refined and polished. I love how she was able to just suggest one or two words and suddenly, the sentence sounds so much smoother and clearer.

Strongly recommended, and if our schedules match up, I hope she can help me with my next books.

#20 ·
ggwynter said:
Hi Margaret! I'm new to kboards and just came across this thread. Do you have a website I can check out? Also, have you proofread fiction, specifically romance? Thanks!
I don't have a professional website, no ... that's not my area of expertise. I'm very good at keeping up-to-date on my email, however; you can find my email address in the initial post in this thread.

Yes, in my career I have proofread primarily fiction, which has included a lot of romances of all varieties (contemporary, historical, paranormal, comedy, suspense... you name it).