Author Topic: Createspace account hacked  (Read 2212 times)  

Online ilamont

• Mass.
    • View Profile
    • In 30 Minutes Guides Official Site
Re: Createspace account hacked
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2018, 11:42:15 AM »
Not reassuring that there is no mention of two-factor authentication on any of the help pages. Emailed customer support to see if this is an option.

Offline Loosecannon

• Western frontier
    • View Profile
    • Modus Operandi Press
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2018, 11:46:31 AM »
There have been a rash of these just in the last few days; see this article at The Digital Reader:  https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/04/17/hackers-now-targeting-authors-on-createspace/
Createspace hasn't said yet whether or not they have been compromised yet. These days I tend to assume the worst, just in case. Oh and if you reuse any of your other passwords at Createspace (and or any other logins) that is a baaaad idea generally.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 12:06:22 PM by Loosecannon »

Offline Nate Hoffelder

• I build websites, and blog about ebooks
    • View Profile
    • The Digital Reader
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2018, 12:26:44 PM »
There have been a rash of these just in the last few days; see this article at The Digital Reader:  https://the-digital-reader.com/2018/04/17/hackers-now-targeting-authors-on-createspace/

hehehehe

I was going to use that exact same language
- Nate, publisher of The Digital Reader blog - www.the-digital-reader.com

Ask me how to speed up your site, the best bookshelf plugins, how to get your site ranked in Google, and why your site keeps crashing. If I don't know I will find out.

I offer free site critiques (tech, content, and design) and I will happily tell you what your tech guy needs to do.

Offline cadle-sparks

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2018, 01:04:46 PM »
createspace uses javascript. Therein might lie the problem. It's one of only two sites that I allow Java on.

Offline notjohn

• View Profile
    • Notjohn's Self-Publishing Guide
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 12:15:45 PM »
Notification came overnight that I'd made changes to my royalty information when I hadn't. Someone changed the bank account information. Surprisingly, that was all they changed.

I fixed it, and changed my password. Now I think I'd better do the same for all my vendor accounts..

Did you by any chance catch the name on the bank account? The same thing happened to me on May 13. The malefactor was doing business as Maxim Kislyi. I took a screenshot and sent it to CS, which included the last four digits of his or her bank account and routing number, so CS has something to go on, if it has the motive.

(Good grief! I see now that I actually skimmed this thread when it was posted, and replied to it. Obviously the warning didn't sink in!)

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:20:06 PM by notjohn »
Notjohn's Guide to E-Book & Print Formatting: http://viewbook.at/notjohn

The blog: http://notjohnkdp.blogspot.com

Online GeneDoucette

• View Profile
    • Gene Doucette's Blog
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2018, 01:16:14 PM »
Did you by any chance catch the name on the bank account? The same thing happened to me on May 13. The malefactor was doing business as Maxim Kislyi. I took a screenshot and sent it to CS, which included the last four digits of his or her bank account and routing number, so CS has something to go on, if it has the motive.

(Good grief! I see now that I actually skimmed this thread when it was posted, and replied to it. Obviously the warning didn't sink in!)

The name sounds familiar, but I didn't save it, so I can't be sure if this incident is why it's familiar or not.

Offline Julie W

• View Profile
    • Official Website
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2018, 05:22:58 PM »
This just happened to me tonight.  :o I received an email from Createspace saying the Royalty Bank information was changed.

I emailed Createspace just to let them know someone else had access to my account. The bank information belonged to someone named Egor Aslanyan.

Julie Wenzel | Website | Twitter | Facebook

Online David VanDyke

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2018, 08:02:13 PM »
I hope everyone sees this and changes their CS password regularly, and uses something long and with random symbols. Unfortunately CS doesn't have two-factor authentication.

Futuristic Thrillers, Mysteries and Science Fiction
David VanDyke | Blog | Website | Facebook | Twitter[/

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2018, 08:03:18 PM »

Same one that got mine on Thursday. I changed the password on the account (which was 10 character, mixed upper/lower case with numbers and symbols), contacted CS support, and left the banking info alone until they told me they had everything they needed and it was OK to fix it.

I have no idea how they could have gotten past that password into the account - unless they're hacking into CS and the idiots are storing passwords instead of hashes in their database. Which unfortunately wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love

Online idontknowyet

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2018, 08:07:12 PM »
It doesn't sound like CS is doing anything about the hacking. Has anyone contacted their local authorities and filed a report. If enough people do it, the right person might get involved with taking down the person or people that keep doing this.

Offline Jan Hurst-Nicholson

• Durban, South Africa
  • Don't let your emotions overpower your intellect
    • View Profile
    • www.just4kix.jimdo.com
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 06:34:21 AM »
I hope CS can sort this out. It looks like changing to a more complicated password is not the answer.

Non-fiction, Fiction, family saga, humour, short stories, teen, children's
Jan Hurst-Nicholson | author website

Offline oakwood

• Scandinavia
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 07:11:16 AM »
I'm aware. That's why I added the parenthetical. It remains the case that my being on a Mac reduces the likelihood, irrespective of why that is.

Avast for Mac and Malwarebytes for Mac. I would use both, same as I do on pc. Malwarebytes is pretty good at detecting malware.. which is not necessarily the same as virus, which Avast is really good at cutting.

Also... 2 factor login for all things Amazon, sends an sms to your phone and wont login until you fill in the pass they sent. No way a hacker or keylogger can do much, unless they login simultaneously, which in practice is impossibe.. partly due to different IP. But 2 factor.. for everything. Dont know how one could have lived without it before.

CS doesnt have it yet tho, at least I havent found where to set it up. So weird that CS is not yet a fully  integrated part of the Amaz publishing experience.

Offline KelliWolfe

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 08:02:29 AM »
It doesn't sound like CS is doing anything about the hacking. Has anyone contacted their local authorities and filed a report. If enough people do it, the right person might get involved with taking down the person or people that keep doing this.
Local authorities don't have jurisdiction. You'd have to contact the sheriff's department where CS is headquartered. But they're not going to do a blessed thing, and neither will the FBI. Unless it involves something very large scale or very high profile like financial institutions, LE doesn't have the inclination or resources to deal with it.

Olivia Blake | Lessons in Love