Author Launch - turn-key sites for authors

Author Topic: Writers Craft Shop area.  (Read 3920 times)  

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
  • Aussie in the 27th century.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
Writers Craft Shop area.
« on: July 19, 2015, 05:49:49 PM »
Please read the following thread first.

http://www.kboards.com/index.php?topic=218765.new#new

Could we please have a dedicated writers craft shop area, specifically for discussion of the craft of writing.

I agree with the OP of that thread. Craft of writing threads are being drowned in KU talk and general marketing, and we do need a separate area to just talk about how you write, and prepare a book for sale. It would make finding that advise a great deal easier as well, with the threads all in the one place, without clutter.

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: Writers Craft Shop area.
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 06:17:44 PM »
I'll make sure Harvey sees this, Timothy.  It's come up before...and there's always a faction that want division and another that doesn't.  It's good to revisit occasionally and see what the current membership thinks.

Betsy
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 06:28:16 PM »
I'll make sure Harvey sees this, Timothy.  It's come up before...and there's always a faction that want division and another that doesn't.  It's good to revisit occasionally and see what the current membership thinks.

Thanks. I thought it a good enough suggestion to actually make in the right place.

If it was me designing the forum, I'd have 3 areas in the the Writers Forum main area.
1. Craft Workshop
2. Marketing Boardroom
3. Writers Cafe

The 2 technical areas thus have their own space, and the Cafe then becomes a meeting area for everything else, and more a social and support area.

Putting craft and marketing into separate sub-areas, also grants them both equal status, and shows the forum as a whole is about promoting the craft of writing, and marketing your book once its written, equally. It also makes each topic's information easier to find, by grouping it together.

Online TimothyEllis

• Somewhere in space.
    • View Profile
    • Timothy Ellis Author
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2015, 04:52:36 AM »
Another thought:

There have been a number of suggestions of where people should go to find writing craft areas on other forums.

My experience in the past is that such suggestions are well meant, but usually ignored.

The action is here. The people are here. The experience is here. And the writers needing a craft area, are here, by choice, and want to stay (otherwise they simply would have left, rather than commenting on the lack).

So yes, there are other places to go, but those asking for a special place here, are not there, they are here, and they want to stay here.

All forums need to evolve. This one has already done so, creating Writers Cafe. Now it needs to do so again, widening the Writers area to separate the 2 major sides to writing, from the general interaction.

Its not a big thing. It's a couple of minutes of admin time to create. A couple of hours for an admin or mod to move some key threads across, and viola, it's done and being used. Yes, it adds a tad more moderating chores in moving threads in the wrong place, but hey, mods need to be fed like everyone else, and we know they just thrive on mod work. So this wont be a problem either.  ;D

Offline NogDog

• Ankh-Morpork
  • My best friend Noggin -- R.I.P.
    • View Profile
    • eBookworm.us
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 12:30:04 PM »
I'll even admit that I might be tempted from time to time to peruse a "craft" forum, as I might actually find that interesting; whereas reams of posts about how to get higher ratings, how to get reviews, how many books someone sold, etc. tends to leave me (as a reader) with a bad taste in my mouth -- which is why I hide the Author area of the forum right now. :)

PS: I don't mean to offend any authors: I love that there are people out there who write things for me to read, but I don't like shattering my illusion that all they care about is writing the best darned story they possibly can for little ol' me to read.

(Make your own reading bar)
Music Ed. major working as a software developer -- go figure | Member since 04/30/2009 | My Blog | GoodReads page
"Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett in Night Watch

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 08:47:40 PM »
It's a good point, NogDog, that non-authors might find craft threads interesting.  At the same time, I suggest you not read up on Michelangelo--you may find that some of his greatest masterpieces were done because he needed the money. ;)

Betsy

Offline Shei Darksbane

• Anywhere but here.
  • Shei Darksbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 09:30:15 PM »
Thanks. I thought it a good enough suggestion to actually make in the right place.

If it was me designing the forum, I'd have 3 areas in the the Writers Forum main area.
1. Craft Workshop
2. Marketing Boardroom
3. Writers Cafe

The 2 technical areas thus have their own space, and the Cafe then becomes a meeting area for everything else, and more a social and support area.

Putting craft and marketing into separate sub-areas, also grants them both equal status, and shows the forum as a whole is about promoting the craft of writing, and marketing your book once its written, equally. It also makes each topic's information easier to find, by grouping it together.

+1 this.

Might call it Craft Workshop, Self-Pub Studio, and Writer's Cafe ;)

Offline Trans-Human

• Southeast Europe
  • Cat-2-Human Trans-Zoa. My prefered pronouns: Meow!
    • View Profile
    • ... A Writer After Dark
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 10:22:49 PM »
I think it's amp time to revive this topic - mainly with suggestions from few posts here on what could be done with the forum. Considering how much cramming there is on these topics in WC I think such suggestions are not off the mark.
Genres: Science Fiction / Fantasy / Horror / Superhero

Project 1: 28%

Project 2: 18%
Works in Progress ^^^:
A Writer After Dark | About.Me | Twitter | Google+

Online Betsy the Quilter

• Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 03:58:15 AM »
Thanks, let me read through the linked info.  It probably is time to look at it again!

Betsy

Offline KeraEmory

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 05:05:01 AM »
Newish member here, I'd also love a place to talk craft.