Why not Join Amazon Kindle Unlimited 30-Day Free Trial?

Author Topic: Developmental and line editing services  (Read 1859 times)  

Offline Lisa Poisso

• Fiction Editor. Creative Lens.
    • View Profile
    • Lisa Poisso | Fiction Editing
Developmental and line editing services
« on: July 24, 2015, 07:26:57 AM »
Hello, authors,

Just opening a supporting discussion thread for my KBoards Yellow Pages service listing. My services include manuscript evaluation, copyediting, and line editing.

Line editing is my specialty. When you finish revisions on a line edit back from me, you should feel like a stronger, better equipped writer. I want you to understand not only what parts of your writing missed the target but why--and how to get them flying straight again. I've been a professional writer and editor for more than 25 years, and there's nothing I enjoy more than working collaboratively with independent authors.

Please visit my Yellow Pages listing at My Service on the KBoards Yellow Pages for more details. I hope to work with you soon!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 12:59:07 PM by Lisa Poisso »
Clarity of creative vision. Clarity of presentation.
LisaPoisso.com  |  lisa@lisapoisso.com

Offline Johnny Dracula

• View Profile
    • Author Website
Re: Line editing, copyediting and manuscript evaluation services
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:03:28 AM »
Can you turn utter crap into a bestseller?
My latest, Princess Dracula, is now on Kindle Scout.

If you'd enjoy a vampire novel that's a blend of historical fiction, paranormal, dark fantasy, and horror... read the excerpt and vote!

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1JLVCZOD08U4O

Offline Lisa Poisso

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 08:09:52 AM »
Do you have some of either you'd like to work on? ;)

Offline Johnny Dracula

• View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 08:15:47 AM »
I have a crap draft of something that's crap. Need it uncrapped because it's crap.
My latest, Princess Dracula, is now on Kindle Scout.

If you'd enjoy a vampire novel that's a blend of historical fiction, paranormal, dark fantasy, and horror... read the excerpt and vote!

https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/1JLVCZOD08U4O

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 01:31:36 PM »
Lisa,

Looks like I forgot to give you an official welcome, so here it is!

You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Caf!

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages Listing, found here:
http://www.kboards.com/yp/

The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page.  More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar:  you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time.  New threads about the service wil be removed.  Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to.  And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days.  If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks!

Betsy
KBoards Moderator

Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards.  Members should do due diligence when considering using a service, for example, by asking KB members for feedback and doing an Internet search such as "service provider name" complaints. 
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Lisa Poisso

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 03:08:40 PM »
Thanks so much for the welcome, Betsy. I appreciate the opportunity to list in the Yellow Pages. Please let me know if I need to make any adjustments to that listing or this thread. Thanks for your help!

Offline Evenstar

• UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 03:19:48 PM »
Posts with some costs listed are really appreciated (I think a lot of us are too lazy/busy to go looking), but that is totally your call.

Offline Lisa Poisso

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 03:46:50 PM »
Hi Evenstar, as noted in my Yellow Pages listing, my rates for copyediting start at $0.01 per word. I like to do a sample edit not only to give you an idea of how my editing will fit your writing but also so I can give you a firm price tailored to your manuscript. Thanks for taking the time to look and to comment!

Offline Evenstar

• UK
  • YA and PNR
    • View Profile
    • Author Website
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 04:25:13 PM »
That's a good rate. If my standard copy-editor is too swamped at any point in the future, then I'd be happy to try you

Offline Lisa Poisso

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 04:27:50 PM »
Be happy to give you a sample edit when the time comes. Do contact me with as much lead time as you can, because I do typically book up a couple of months in advance. Thanks!

Offline Lisa Poisso

• View Profile
Re: Content editing, copyediting & coaching services
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 12:58:37 PM »
Try my new guide for helping you connect with the right editor for your manuscript:

The Author's Guide to Finding and Hiring an Editor
http://lisapoisso.com/2017/04/13/find-editor-guide/

I'm currently booking edits for 2018, with plenty of room left for manuscript evaluations and critiques this year. Please get in touch now if you'd like to schedule: lisa@lisapoisso.com.

Hope this new guide is a useful resource as you move toward publication. Best of luck with your novel!

Offline Lisa Poisso

• View Profile
Re: Developmental and line editing services
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 06:55:51 AM »
NaNoWriMo SPECIAL
Two openings still available during October

Email me now to reserve: lisa@lisapoisso.com

Plot Accelerator: http://lisapoisso.com/editing/#accelerator

Don't drain your editing budget on a story that's not ready for prime time. The Plot Accelerator is an affordable way to make sure your novel has all the story power it needs to succeed as commercial fiction--before you commit your editing budget, or even before you begin writing.

The Plot Accelerator is a virtual consultation that helps you build your story using proven storytelling techniques. It's like a developmental X-ray of the bones of your story. You'll start with supercharged tutorials on story elements such as concept, point of view, and story conflict, then complete an in-depth survey about your story.

A Plot Accelerator guides you through a full analysis of your story's foundations to discover how each part of your story fits together. You'll move forward armed with questions and prompts designed to get you thinking about how to develop every twist and turn.

I thought my manuscript only needed a few more tweaks, but after going through Lisa's Plot Accelerator, I soon discovered the many pitfalls of my premise and character motivation. She worked with me to help rebuild the story from the ground up. In the end, the process helped me better understand what makes a story great.--Matt Folsom

Use the Plot Accelerator as a blueprint before you write or a diagnostic tool once you've finished. Each of the three units takes a week or two to move through at your own pace, and you'll get up to two revision consultations at each level. More information: http://lisapoisso.com/editing/#accelerator

Email me now to reserve: lisa@lisapoisso.com
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 06:58:53 AM by Lisa Poisso »

Offline Lisa Poisso

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2017, 11:31:34 AM »
Now booking post-NaNo Plot Accelerators

Bring Your Story Up to Speed

Don't drain your editing budget on a story that's not ready for prime time. The Plot Accelerator is an affordable way to make sure your novel has all the story power it needs to succeed as commercial fiction--before you commit your editing budget, or even before you begin writing. The Plot Accelerator is a virtual consultation that helps you build your story using proven storytelling techniques. It's like a developmental X-ray of the bones of your story. You get tutorials, analysis, and one-on-one feedback on your storys foundations.

The Plot Accelerator is designed for:
  • authors who want the faster writing times that come from well-developed story foundations and outlining
  • authors seeking an affordable story-level diagnostic tool for their final drafts
  • authors who want story editing but don't have the budget or time for an evaluation or developmental edit

The Plot Accelerator: http://lisapoisso.com/editing/#accelerator
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 12:12:39 PM by Lisa Poisso »

Offline Lisa Poisso

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 12:14:10 PM »
Now booking post-NaNo Plot Accelerators. See the post just above for more details.

Openings available in December 2017 and January 2018.

Offline Lisa Poisso

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 06:13:11 AM »
Your editor is more than a nameless someone who "checks your work." Whether you write as a creative outlet or a tolerable way of making some money, you deserve a compatible editor who connects with what you're all about. You deserve an editor who gets you, who gets your work, and who lifts up what makes your novel distinctive so readers can appreciate it, too.

So what is it that you're looking for? Do you want a particular service? Complete editorial development? Turnkey project management? Are you looking for someone who can reliably handle your project on the fly, or are you looking for someone who'll become a valued member of your publishing team?

Read more about finding an editor who fits your editing goals, your publishing goals, and your personality: http://lisapoisso.com/2017/10/08/compatible-editor/
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 02:58:29 PM by Lisa Poisso »

Offline Lisa Poisso

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2017, 03:03:11 PM »
If only it were practical to hire an editor to "give everything a quick once-over--and let me know if you spot any plot holes along the way." The problem is that different types of editing (http://lisapoisso.com/2017/09/11/types-of-editing/) zero in on entirely different areas of your book. Asking an editor to combine edits and multitask their way through an entire manuscript is probably asking for trouble.

My article on combining editorial services at Jami Gold's website at https://jamigold.com/2017/11/picking-editors-can-we-combine-steps-and-save-money-guest-lisa-poisso/ shows you when it makes sense to combine services and when you're simply diluting the value of the work you're paying to have done.

Offline Lisa Poisso

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 08:55:09 AM »
What if you could accelerate the learning curve of writing a novel with one-on-one feedback from an editor or writing coach? You can--if you come into your edit with a growth mindset.

Getting a professional edit can accelerate your writing development in a way that could takes years to pound out via other methods. It's not just about fixing grammar and spelling errors or pinpointing plot holes. When you bring a growth mindset into the editing process with an editor who works more like a coach than a proofreader, you open up incredible opportunities for developing your craft.

My article over at the website of my friend and colleague Louise Harnby (https://www.louiseharnbyproofreader.com/blog/how-to-be-a-better-writer-using-a-growth-mindset-to-hone-your-craft) shows you how to turn your edit from a repair job into a one-on-one writing workshop. Ready to get started on your own manuscript? Get in touch at lisa@lisapoisso.com.

Offline SA_Soule

• Northern CA
  • Author, Creativity Coach, & Avid Reader
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Author Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 11:46:09 AM »
I have a crap draft of something that's crap. Need it uncrapped because it's crap.

LOL Aren't all early drafts just crap? I know mine stink. ;-)

Offline Lisa Poisso

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 06:11:16 AM »
Post-NaNoWriMo Wrap-up

You made it through NaNo--but are the words that made it onto the page worth developing? Don't drain your editing budget on a story that's not ready for prime time. The Plot Accelerator is an affordable way to make sure your novel has all the story power it needs to succeed as commercial fiction--before you commit your editing budget, or even before you begin writing.

The Plot Accelerator is a virtual consultation that helps you build your story using proven storytelling techniques. It's like a developmental X-ray of the bones of your story. You'll start with supercharged tutorials on story elements such as concept, point of view, plot drivers, and story. Next comes the engine the propels everything: an in-depth questionnaire that leads you to the details you need to launch a compelling story.

A Plot Accelerator helps you discover how each part of your story fits together. You'll move forward armed with questions and prompts designed to get you thinking about how to develop every twist and turn.

I thought my manuscript only needed a few more tweaks, but after going through Lisa's Plot Accelerator, I soon discovered the many pitfalls of my premise and character motivation. She worked with me to help rebuild the story from the ground up. In the end, the process helped me better understand what makes a story great.--Matt Folsom

Ready to get your NaNo project off the ground? ~ January openings available
Schedule a Plot Accelerator: http://lisapoisso.com/editing/#accelerator
Let's talk about your book: lisa@lisapoisso.com

Offline Lisa Poisso

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Today at 09:48:41 AM »
Sometimes you want to touch base with your editor more regularly while you're still in the thick of the creative process. Creative coaching gives you the accountability and support you need to complete your book on your timetable and to your creative vision. Depending on your specific goals, we'll consult via email, phone, or Skype to work through your manuscript sample by sample, chapter by chapter, or draft by draft.

What It Is: Regular, long-term coaching that helps you write your manuscript on time and on target

What You Get: Weekly, fortnightly, or monthly feedback on your latest pages (up to 10,500 words or approximately 40 manuscript pages); regular updates with writing resources and tips for making the most of your writer's life; optional telephone or Skype consultations

Who It's For: Authors seeking support and direction throughout the writing process; authors seeking to develop their narrative and storytelling techniques and create compelling commercial fiction

How Much It Costs: From $99/month; please ask for a personalized quote based on your manuscript and editing goals