Kindle Forum banner

Shadowcat Editing - Deals for Urban Fantasy

7K views 49 replies 8 participants last post by  ShadowcatEdits 
#1 ·
Every superhero has their sidekick, every culinary master has a sous chef, and every great writer has an exceptional editor watching their back.

I specialize in non-fiction ebooks, YA, Paranormal/Urban Fantasy, and Women's Fiction/Chick Lit (which I see as two different genres but that's a debate for another thread!) I'm available for developmental editing, copy editing, and proofreading - and if you don't know what you need that's ok! We can figure it out together. I'm meticulous about spelling, grammar, and punctuation, as well as about respecting the author's voice- you'll see lots of comment balloons that say, "consider doing such and such" or "alternate words here might be this, that, or the other", but I do not change text that isn't incorrect unless you request that I do so (always tracked, so you can accept or decline the change!)

My rates are negotiable, customized for to your needs. I'm flexible, collaborative, and hate talking about my work in generalities - your book is special to you and it's special to me too. Let's talk about what you're looking for and see if we'll make a good match!

***Currently booking for August due to a timing/schedule change on a current project! Openings for September and later in the fall as well.*

See less See more
#2 ·
The new school year is starting, fall approaches, and soon it will be the perfect time of year to curl up with a good book... your own or someone else's!

Great editing can transform an "ok" book into one your readers will rave about to their friends. Currently scheduling for September/October/November - customized fast, professional service to make the best possible impression on your readers and keep them coming back. Sample edits available. Please see my website for more info!

#3 ·
Thanks for advertising in my thread, if I have anyone looking for developmental editing I'll be happy to point them in your direction, or if I get backed up with proofreading and copy editing which I currently have some immediate openings. Best regards

#4 ·
Whoops, I didn't mean to "advertise" on your thread - I really just meant to be helpful! But I appreciate the comment and I'll definitely bookmark your page and send folks your way when I can't help them!

Carolinians gotta stick together  ;)

#5 ·
Anyone in need of a quick copy edit or proofread? I had a two-week block just open up, and would love to fill it with some fun fiction. PM or email me!

ETA: Please disregard the rates on my website - I'm happy to discount for KBoarders when I've got open time in my schedule like I do now.

#6 ·
Shadowcat Edits--

Looks like we never gave you the official welcome, so here it is: [br][br]You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Café![br][br]Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages Listing, found here:[br]http://www.kboards.com/yp/[br][br]The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page. More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.[br][br]In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar: you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time. New threads about the service wil be removed. Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to. And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days. If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks![br][br]Betsy[br]KBoards Moderator [br][br]Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards. Members should do due diligence when considering using a service, for example, by asking KB members for feedback and doing an Internet search such as "service provider name" complaints.

#8 ·
Hello friends!

I'm currently booking for November and December - in fact I'm free right now, as my current project is with the author in revision between editing rounds. If anyone needs a proofread or quick copy edit this week or next, PM me and let's talk!

#9 ·
Hi all, and happy holidays!

I'm very excited to announce that Shadowcat Editing has teamed up with Aillen Taylor Design Service (http://kboards.com/yp/?seq=711) to offer package deals that include copy editing, book layout, and proofreading - or any combination of those (your book might be edited and just need layout and proofread, for example).

For eBook layout plus proofreading, you pay just $8 per thousand words. Copy editing rates are based on a brief, free sample edit. We'd love to talk with you about how we can best help you get your latest book ready for the public!

#10 ·
New client special -* 20% off for new clients* - just book before the end of February for any time now through April!

I work with all genres, but particularly love urban fantasy and YA. Developmental, copy editing and proofreading available.

Questions? Want a quote? PM or email me today!

~Robin

#11 ·
Hi everyone!

Experienced editor and proofreader seeks erotica and romance authors for bargain deal on developmental editing. I've done DE for horror, adventure, urban fantasy and YA, and lots of non-fiction, but would like to build my portfolio in new genres. $100 flat rate for dev editing up to 75K words, plus followup (copy editing and proofreading not included). PM me if interested, or email robin@shadowcatediting.com

New client special does not apply to the above but is valid for any copy editing or proofreading booked by the end of April - 20% off!

#12 ·
Are you finishing up a manuscript and looking for a friendly, collaborative fiction editor to help you get it ready for publication? I've worked in a wide variety of genres including thriller, erotic romance, YA, paranormal romance, and urban fantasy - and I love working with indie authors.

Please send me a message or check out my website - I'd be happy to do a sample edit to give you an idea of the kind of feedback you can expect from me and see if we'll communicate and work together well! Let's talk about how to make sure your novel hits the market in top shape.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

#13 ·
Are you finishing up a manuscript and looking for a friendly, collaborative editor to help you get it ready for publication? I'm expanding my business this year and actively seeking new fiction authors who want to develop a relationship with an editor who really cares about providing the best possible quality. Every manuscript receives at least two full rounds of editing and I'm always available after the job for questions, assistance, or to review revisions you've made in response to my edits and comments.

Please send me a message or check out my website to see testimonials from current and former clients - then ask me for a free sample edit to give you an idea of the kind of feedback you can expect from me and see if we'll communicate and work together well! Let's talk about how to make sure your novel hits the market in top shape.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

~Robin

#14 ·
I managed to snag one of the bargain slots that Robin so generously offered and got a complete developmental edit of my first full-length romance for only 100 dollars (lucky me!). Despite the fact that she barely got paid for the time it must have taken her to read my messy Swenglish first draft (twice!), Robin gave me a complete run-down of all the different aspects of my book, what works and what doesn't when it comes to characters, POVs, tropes, themes, relationship progression, timeline, etc.

She was thorough and utterly professional, insightful and obviously well read within the genre, and respectful and even enthusiastic in her feedback. The book will be much improved by her work on it, and I heartily recommend her services to anyone looking for an editor.

#16 ·
Hi everyone!

Just a note to let everyone know that I have one slot left for July and then I'm booking August. Anything from developmental or full line and copy edit to a quick proofread is welcome!

If you think you might be interested, drop me a PM or an email and ask me whatever questions you might have. No obligation, no commitment. Consultation and 1500-word sample edit are always free!

~Robin

#17 ·
Hello! One of my June clients has rescheduled and I've got a space open for this month! Want it??

Take advantage of my 20% New Client Special and get some fresh eyes on your manuscript - I work with all genres but especially love YA, urban fantasy/paranormal, romance, and "chick lit." Consultation and sample edit are always free - send me an email or PM and let's talk!

Check out my website for testimonials from current and former clients, and please feel free to ask me any questions you have about me, my professional experience, or my editing style and process. If you're looking for someone friendly, flexible, and collaborative, I just might be the perfect editor for you! ;D

#18 ·
Just wanted to give a shout-out to Shadowcat for a really helpful (and fast) copyedit she just completed for me! It was a religious memoir adaptation I was putting together for my grandfather's birthday (from a document written by my grandmother) and I knew the parts I added needed help. She did a great job smoothing the awkward out of the writing, and she was willing to do it fast, as I waited too long and now the birthday is right around the corner! :)

#19 ·
Thanks, Corrie! I hope we can work together again soon (and that the birthday was a great success)!

Everyone - I'm finishing up my current projects between now and the fourth of July, after which I'm free for something new.

Take advantage of my New Client Special and get some fresh eyes on your manuscript - I work with all genres but especially love YA, urban fantasy/paranormal, romance, and "chick lit." Consultation and sample edit are always free - send me an email or PM and let's talk!

Check out my website for more testimonials from current and former clients, and please feel free to ask me any questions you have about me, my professional experience, or my editing style and process. If you're looking for someone friendly, flexible, and collaborative, I just might be the perfect editor for you!  ;D

#20 ·
I've made it a personal goal to expand my business 100% in the next year - and that means lots of room in my schedule for new authors! As an incentive to try out my services, new clients will get 5,000 words free when you book me for any full length novel (50K+).

My rate varies based on a number of factors, including how rough or clean the manuscript is, but ranges from $.005 per word for a final proofread up to $.02+ for multiple rounds of developmental and/or copy editing with cleanup and revisions in between.

Consultation and sample edit *always* free to make sure we "click" before any commitment is made! Looking for an editor or proofreader? Let's talk!

#21 ·
Hi all! I have one more slot for September and three for October - book with me by August 31st and stack my *5000 Words Free* Summer Special on top of my New Client discount (if we haven't worked together before)!

I provide clear, candid feedback, flexible scheduling and payment terms, and a professional polish that will make your book stand out from the crowd.

Sample edits are always FREE - Please let me know if you have any questions, and how I can assist you in moving your publishing dreams and goals toward the finish line!

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

#22 ·
Hi all!

First, I wanted to share this article about self editing and how to punctuate dialogue - it's not new, but it's outstanding.

http://kjcharleswriter.com/self-editing-tips-line-edits/

I also wanted to introduce two new services I've added - Manuscript Critique and Just the First 10,000 Words. Both are designed to save you money in the long run by providing you with the information you need to reduce the number of corrections your editor and/or proofreader will need to make, which lowers the cost to you!

My copy editing and proofreading services are still available of course - mention you found me on KBoards and the first 10K words of any full length novel are free! I'm looking forward to a busy and productive winter, and would love to spend part of it helping you get your latest manuscript ready for publishing!

Questions? I'm just an email away! I look forward to hearing from you soon!

~Robin

#23 ·
I still have a few December spots open, especially for quick proofreads or my Just the First 10,000 Words service (actually it doesn't have to be the first 10K - any 10K will do!)

January I'm open to anything - there's room for full multi-round copy edit and proofreading packages or any other design-your-own package that will help you get ready to publish a manuscript you can feel confident and proud of.

I look forward to hearing from you - please let me know what I can do to help!

~Robin

#24 ·
Hi all! I have begun booking for January and February - or as far ahead as you can realistically schedule yourself!

A few of my copy editing and proofreading clients have released books recently and I wanted to share:

Please see my website for more info about me and testimonials from current and former clients, and feel free to contact me with any questions at all! I love hearing about your WIPs and how I can be of the best possible assistance to you. My editing style is detailed, collaborative and adaptable to the author's voice, style, and goals for the book. Having your work edited should be a positive experience, not a scary one!

Proofreading starts at $5.00 per 1000 words (for previously copy edited work)
Copy and line editing ranges from $7.50 to $15.00 per 1000 words
Manuscript critique (big picture/content editing - great for NaNo projects!) is $7.50 per 1000 words
Just the First 10,000 Words includes manuscript critique plus line and copy editing for $200.

I offer flexible scheduling and payment terms. If you're looking for an editor or proofreader, I'd love to hear from you!

~Robin

#25 ·
I'm currently booking for January and beyond. If you're looking for an editor or proofreader, I'd love to chat with you about your finished or WIP manuscript and see how I can be of assistance!

I offer a free sample edit so you can get a feel for the kind of feedback I provide and we can decide if we'll make a good team before any commitment is made.

Proofreading starts at $5.00 per 1000 words (for previously copy edited work)
Copy and line editing ranges from $7.50 to $15.00 per 1000 words
Manuscript critique (big picture/content editing - great for NaNo projects!) is $7.50 per 1000 words
Just the First 10,000 Words includes manuscript critique plus line and copy editing for $200 $150 just for KBoarders.

Here's what a few of my current and past clients have said:

"She was thorough and utterly professional, insightful and obviously well read within the genre, and respectful and even enthusiastic in her feedback. The book will be much improved by her work on it, and I heartily recommend her services to anyone looking for an editor."
"I had worked with a different professional editor for two rounds before working with Robin. I personally had read my manuscript probably a dozen times, looking for errors. I thought I had a clean copy. But Robin found several mistakes throughout the book, including some fact/plot consistency points that were critical. There's no question she improved my work. Money well spent!"
"Robin was fabulous to work with, she respected the time deadlines, responded promptly to communications and I learned a lot working with her. She did a great job editing my book."
"Robin was fabulous to work with, she respected the time deadlines, responded promptly to communications and I learned a lot working with her. She did a great job editing my book."
I look forward to hearing from you!

~Robin

#26 ·
I just had a manuscript come off of Kindle Scout.
I need formatting and just a proofread to make sure it's cleaned up and ready to go.
I'm planning on releasing early next year so I can still ride the momentum of my KS campaign.
Are you available now or booked up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.