Author Topic: Taking the Shark Tank Approach to Kindle Publishing  (Read 4245 times)  

Offline TRUMP

• View Profile
Taking the Shark Tank Approach to Kindle Publishing
« on: August 13, 2015, 07:28:48 PM »
Just curious...

Does anyone else approach kindle publishing from the same way that I do? I am more like an investor. I outsource everything: writing, editing, covers, etc... I use pen names or brand names.

Just curious if anyone else is doing the same and has had success?

Offline Drake Green

• View Profile
Re: Taking the Shark Tank Approach to Kindle Publishing
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 07:35:51 PM »
I have heard about people who outsource the writing of the books they're putting up, but I don't really understand how that works. If you are going to make more money off the book than you pay the writer, then why do they need you? Why couldn't they ghost writer just publish it themselves? And if their price is really cheap, well you're probably going to get a very low quality piece of work.

Me, I want to be the creator, the one responsible for that new literary work of art. If there is a poor plot or weak characters, those need to be mine, not someone I hired on the cheap. If it were some high quality work, they probably wouldn't sell it to begin with.

What genre are you in with this? Non-fiction? Erotica? Horror shorts?

Offline Annie B

• View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 07:39:53 PM »
Not sure outsourcing everything has anything to do with Shark Tank. They often say on that show that the person building the business should put in the most hours and do whatever they can do.

I outsource editing, covers, and formatting. Everything else I do myself. It's my business. Nobody I hire is going to care as much as I do or put in the kind of hours I put in.

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:42:52 PM »
I'm a writer who publishes, not a content farm.

Monique Martin | author website | facebook | twitter

Offline TRUMP

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 07:47:38 PM »
I do it for the same exact reasons that the Big 5 Publishers do it. To make money.

They are doing pretty much exactly what I do. I just do it on a smaller scale. For now.

And the reason that writers will produce work for others to publish is because they are writers, no publishers. A lot of people still don't get it.

And I don't feel like I am doing anything wrong. I come up with story ideas and get someone else to bring them to life for me. I do think that is a much better route than for me to 'think' I am a writer and to publish 'crap' that no one will read.

Writing is a business, period. The sooner you learn and approach it that way the sooner you will be making some $$$

Offline TRUMP

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 07:49:24 PM »
Not sure outsourcing everything has anything to do with Shark Tank. They often say on that show that the person building the business should put in the most hours and do whatever they can do.

The Shark Tank approach is very fitting because it insinuates that you only invest in the best. Just as the sharks do.

Offline Dragovian

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »
It never occurred to me to outsource writing until I started digging for information on how to be a successful self-publisher.

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 07:50:53 PM »
Writing is a business, period. The sooner you learn and approach it that way the sooner you will be making some $$$

Do you think we don't think of it as a business because we are also the creators? That we aren't making money?

Offline TRUMP

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 07:59:51 PM »
Do you think we don't think of it as a business because we are also the creators? That we aren't making money?

You are taking my comments out of context. Very few actually make money from what they publish. Which is why freelance sites like elance, upwork, odesk, etc are FLOODED with writers for hire.

Offline X. Aratare

• View Profile
    • Raythe Reign
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 08:00:25 PM »
What I NEVER understand is not the person like Meg who uses all these ghostwriters or whatever, but the people who WRITE FOR HER/HIM.  Honestly, why don't they put the books up themselves and make bank?  Get rid of the middleman/woman i.e., Meg?! 

Offline erikhanberg

• Tacoma, WA
  • Author, Parks Commissioner
    • View Profile
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 08:01:47 PM »
While I share some initial hesitation with others who already posted, I am not against the idea that you can be a "publisher" who adds value by understanding the market better than anyone else you are hiring. Also, if you are taking the risk (paying the writer, paying the artists, etc) then I think it makes sense that you are the person reaping the reward.

I'm curious: what do you pay your writers? Do you use multiple writers under the same pen name (like a Franklin W Dixon/Hardy Boys set up?) How long of books do you look to publish?

Also, can you link to any books you've published under the system?

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 08:01:53 PM »
You are taking my comments out of context. Very few actually make money from what they publish. Which is why freelance sites like elance, upwork, odesk, etc are FLOODED with writers for hire.

I'm going to guess that many here have a better sense of what works and how to make many than perhaps you do at this point in your career.

Offline Kyra Halland

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Welcome To My Worlds
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 08:02:41 PM »
I think most of us are here because we made a business decision to take control of our creativity away from people who want to exploit it and us for their own benefit and keep it for ourselves for our own benefit, so that we can do what we love and keep the money and the rights for ourselves. We are writers who would like to make money from our *own* writing. Exploiting other writers isn't what most of us are here for; it's what we've made the decision to avoid having happen to us.

Plus, what's the fun in outsourcing the writing? That's the fun part! ;D

Tales of fantasy, heroism, and romance.
Kyra Halland | Website | Facebook | Google+ | Twitter | Goodreads

Offline Liz French

• Sydney/London
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 08:03:11 PM »
And I don't feel like I am doing anything wrong. I come up with story ideas and get someone else to bring them to life for me. I do think that is a much better route than for me to 'think' I am a writer and to publish 'crap' that no one will read.

It's not that you're necessarily doing anything "wrong", but this forum is made up of mostly writers who SELF publish, and many very successfully. It's more a question of "wrong crowd".

Offline Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 08:03:22 PM »
Stepping in to remind people that we require civility.  If you (generic you) can't be civil here, this isn't the thread for you.  I've removed a couple of posts that seemed to celebrate the possibility of things going very, very wrong.  Let's surprise everyone, folks.

Betsy
KB Mod
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline Tilly

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2015, 08:09:55 PM »
You are taking my comments out of context. Very few actually make money from what they publish.

I think there would be a couple of people on the K-boards who would disagree with you. In fact, I think most of us come here to learn from those who are making money from what they publish. That's the business part of it, taking your craft and turning it into an income stream.

Offline Elizabeth Ann West

• Schenectady, NY
  • Our doubts are traitors...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2015, 08:12:11 PM »
There's nothing wrong with what you're talking about. You're just being a PUBLISHER. :) If you aren't writing the content, then you aren't an author, but it doesn't change the fact that you have a publishing business.

Probably many of the things talked about here would apply to you in figuring out what to buy next. That is certainly a very possible model and not that much different than the Kindle Worlds being created as we speak around some of the most successful indie and non-indie story worlds. You're just paying upfront. And after spending more than a year of DIY and teaching other authors to DIY, I think there are authors out there with brilliant stories to tell that don't want to and are unable to manage the business side of things and want good, quality cottage sized publishers to help them.

I have found the hardest thing to teach is market analysis, as in analyzing specific niches for trends readers are interested in. If you are able to do that, then there's a very valuable place for you in publishing others' content whether they are taking a flat upfront fee or a share of royalties.

Jane-of-all-trades, mistress to none!
Elizabeth Ann West | Read My Stories Free!

Offline TRUMP

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 08:16:09 PM »
There's nothing wrong with what you're talking about. You're just being a PUBLISHER. :) If you aren't writing the content, then you aren't an author, but it doesn't change the fact that you have a publishing business.

Probably many of the things talked about here would apply to you in figuring out what to buy next. That is certainly a very possible model and not that much different than the Kindle Worlds being created as we speak around some of the most successful indie and non-indie story worlds. You're just paying upfront. And after spending more than a year of DIY and teaching other authors to DIY, I think there are authors out there with brilliant stories to tell that don't want to and are unable to manage the business side of things and want good, quality cottage sized publishers to help them.

I have found the hardest thing to teach is market analysis, as in analyzing specific niches for trends readers are interested in. If you are able to do that, then there's a very valuable place for you in publishing others' content whether they are taking a flat upfront fee or a share of royalties.

Amen!

Well said. I am glad that you get it.

Offline Shei Darksbane

• Anywhere but here.
  • Shei Darksbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »
Just curious...

Does anyone else approach kindle publishing from the same way that I do? I am more like an investor. I outsource everything: writing, editing, covers, etc... I use pen names or brand names.

Just curious if anyone else is doing the same and has had success?

Why don't you just call a spade a spade and set up a publishing house? I mean, that's what you're doing...
Just publish other people instead of ... I don't even know why the way you explain it feels so shady, but it seems like you're being a publisher, but it feels more scammy the way you describe it. I'm not saying you're trying to scam people, but it FEELS different than saying "I'm a publisher." I don't know.

Offline TRUMP

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 08:19:46 PM »
I apologize to anyone that I may have offended by posting this thread.

I was under the initial impression that we were allowed to discuss all things self publishing, but I guess not?

Offline vlmain

• WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 08:21:11 PM »
What I NEVER understand is not the person like Meg who uses all these ghostwriters or whatever, but the people who WRITE FOR HER/HIM.  Honestly, why don't they put the books up themselves and make bank?  Get rid of the middleman/woman i.e., Meg?! 

Because some people just want the right now, upfront money in hand. Maybe they don't have time to wait for sales, royalty checks, etc. Maybe they hate marketing. Who knows. I am sure they have their reasons. Ghost writers have been around since about forever, so this is nothing new.

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 08:22:23 PM »
No one has said you can't post threads like this or discuss all sorts of different kinds of publishing. Disagreement isn't censorship.

Online Jim Johnson

• Alexandria, VA
  • Storyteller and Cat Minion
    • View Profile
    • Ineti Press
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 08:23:09 PM »
You can discuss what you want. Just be aware that this is a forum primarily inhabited by writers who are or are going to be self-publishing. There are some publishers here, but the vast majority of the participants are writer/publishers rather than just publishers.

Offline TRUMP

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2015, 08:23:21 PM »
Why don't you just call a spade a spade and set up a publishing house? I mean, that's what you're doing...
Just publish other people instead of ... I don't even know why the way you explain it feels so shady, but it seems like you're being a publisher, but it feels more scammy the way you describe it. I'm not saying you're trying to scam people, but it FEELS different than saying "I'm a publisher." I don't know.

The people that I hire are very upfront about NOT wanting any credit for or their names being attached to the finished products whatsoever. This is why I create pen names. I guess that most people don't really realize just how much stuff on Amazon that is actually ghostwritten...

Offline Monique

• California
    • View Profile
    • Written by Monique
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2015, 08:24:05 PM »
What are your most successful titles?

What sort of rates do you pay your writers?