Author Topic: Favorite Series?  (Read 3078 times)  

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Series?
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2015, 04:49:02 PM »
Two new-to-me series I found through recommendations here at KBoards and read through them all in the last couple of months are:

The Genevieve Lenard series by Estelle Ryan which begins with and The Chronicles of St. Mary series by Jodi Taylor starting with .  Both of these are now on my auto-buy list for any future releases.

Another long-running series I just love are the Lincoln Rhyme books by Jeffrey Deaver.  The first has now been made into a movie, but the books are even better (and we are SO overdue for a new one).

I too love series and agree with lots of the other recommendations.  I can come up with more, but my list would be way too long!

I strongly second the Genevieve Lenard Series and the Chronicles of St. Mary . . . . .so I better go try Lincoln Rhyme which, for some reason, haven't ever really appealed to me.  Maybe I'm missing something. ::)

eta: well, this is a bit embarrassing . . . turns out I bought the Bone Collector back in 2010. It got lost in the TBR lists. . . . I've moved it forward. ;)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 04:52:28 PM by Ann in Arlington »

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Linjeakel

• United Kingdom
  • Erm .....
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 05:32:40 AM »
I do love reading series and I agree with the recommendation for Jodi Taylor's Chronicles of St Mary's series - it's one of my current favourites.

In no particular order some of my other favourites:-

C J Sansom - Shardlake
Dorothy Dunnett - both the Lymond & Niccolo series
Boyd Morrison - Tyler Locke
Steve Berry - Cotton Malone
Debora Geary - Modern Witch / Witch Central
Donna Ball - Raine Stockton
James Rollins - Sigma Force
Diana Gabaldon - Outlander / Lord John
J K Rowling - Harry Potter

I'm sure there are loads more - those are just the ones that come to mind at the moment.
"A person who publishes books, willfully appears before the populace with his pants down." Edna St. Vincent Millay

Member since 03/17/2010 | (make your own reading bar) |
My Kindles: Kindle Voyage  | Kindle Paperwhite  |  Fire HD 10  | Kindle DX  | Kindle Touch

Online prairiesky

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2015, 10:35:52 AM »
I have begun reading John Connolly's Charlie Parker series.  I am now reading the 2nd book, but really enjoying his characters and writing.  I am happy to have found a new series that keeps me reading and wanting to know more.

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2015, 11:40:05 AM »
I can't believe I forgot the In Death series by JD Robb on my list.  :o

This is why I can never list favorite this or that when it comes to books, I always forget some of my favorites.

Its why I can never do the polls on some site where they want to know "What are your top 100 romances of all time" I just can't do it.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online crebel

• Ottumwa, Iowa
  • Member #1600 since January 15, 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2017, 04:19:27 PM »
I'd say my first favorite series is Amelia Peabody by Elizabeth Peters. First book: Crocodile on the Sandbank (Amelia Peabody Book 1) Started reading it in college and have really enjoyed it. 19 in the series; she's dead now, though, so I guess it's done. :(

Bringing up this old thread to make sure you know the final Amelia Peabody book was released today.

The early reviews seem to agree that Joan Hess did a wonderful job of keeping Elizabeth Peter's voice.  However, I was disappointed to learn the novel is set in a timeline between "The Falcon at the Portal" and "He Shall Thunder in the Sky".  I so dislike reading out of chronological order in a series that I did not buy it.  I may try to pick it up at the library at some point just to be able to say I read them all.
A book, I think, is very like a little golden door.
That takes me into places where I've never been before.
It leads me into fairyland or countries strange and far.
And, best of all, the golden door always stands ajar. - Adelaide Love

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2017, 04:34:07 PM »
I'd pre-ordered it . . . it'll be up next in my reading queue.

It'll definitely be in the library . . . better get in line now, though. :)

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline Gertie Kindle 'a/k/a Margaret Lake'

• Florida
  • Remembering Jeff and Harvey
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2017, 05:04:38 PM »
One of my favorites is the Miss Julia series by Ann B. Ross. Miss Julia is a "southern lady of a certain age" and she gets very involved in dangerous situations. It's laugh out loud for me, but I stopped reading the series when the ebooks went up into the $14 range.

I see the first one is down to $7.99.

Please visit my website to browse my virtual bookshelf.
Margaret Lake | website | twitter | youtube | facebook

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2017, 04:01:23 AM »
The latest Linda Fairstein came out yesterday as well:

The first is currently priced at $7.99. I suspect the whole series is available through Overdrive.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline TWErvin2

• Ohio, USA
    • View Profile
    • ervin-author.com
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2017, 06:52:11 AM »

#1. The original 5-book "Amber" series by Roger Zelazny (which is finally starting to be published as an e-book)

I am in full agreement with NogDog for #1.

I would put the Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne as #2

Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series as #3

Offline padowd

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2017, 07:30:53 AM »
My favorite has to be Karin Slaughters books. Her series is wonderful but so is her stand alone books. I will read anything she writes. She is a great writer. She develops her characters really well and you get so drawn into them even if you don't like them you still want them to win. When I start reading one I can't stop until it is finished.

Offline FrancisLeggett

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2017, 04:12:51 PM »
I'd have to say that hands down for me it has to be The Farseer Trilogy or The Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb. I find her writing style so fluent that I struggled to read anything by any other author for a good while afterwards. I should probably start reading The Fitz and the Fool trilogy :)

Francis Leggett

Offline EDDIEO

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2017, 02:39:10 AM »
All Enid Blyton, from Mallory Towers to The Secret Seven.

PM me if you want to review either book
Eddie Owens

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Let's go NATS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2017, 05:10:26 AM »
Bringing up this old thread to make sure you know the final Amelia Peabody book was released today.

The early reviews seem to agree that Joan Hess did a wonderful job of keeping Elizabeth Peter's voice.  However, I was disappointed to learn the novel is set in a timeline between "The Falcon at the Portal" and "He Shall Thunder in the Sky".  I so dislike reading out of chronological order in a series that I did not buy it.  I may try to pick it up at the library at some point just to be able to say I read them all.

I started this the other day. I think it opens at the usual prologue that these books have explaining how "Elizabeth Peters" found the journals of "Amelia Peabody" and is editing them for publication. In this case, it explains how a new 'editor' came to be finishing up. But you definitely want to go back and read the other front matter; there are several short essay-ish things at the beginning by the co-author as well as her real publisher (or maybe editor). It explains that the book was well-started when she died and how Joan Hess came to be the one to finish it.

Altogether, the front matter makes it pretty clear this is The Last Amelia Peabody novel.

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis
Hermoine (Fire HD8)
Hogwarts (KDX)
Ed's (Basic)

Offline Galaxy Dog

• Venice (Italy)
  • Brett Fitzpatrick
    • View Profile
    • BrettFitzpatrick.com
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2017, 12:49:48 PM »
The Ripley series by Patricia Highsmith is great. https://www.goodreads.com/series/43329-ripley. I have read reports that she wasn't a very nice person, but the books are gripping. If you've seen the movie The Talented Mr. Ripley from 1999, you'll know what to expect.

Brett Fitzpatrick | Website

Offline Elsye_Harwood

• View Profile
    • Elsye Harwood
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 05:30:19 PM »
 I agree  the Farseer Trilogy by Robin Hobb is superb. In fact every series she's written is highly readable.

Lord of the Rings.
Narnia as well.
The books of the Faraway Tree.
Elaine Mitchell's Brumby series. 

I also loved  Katherine Kerr's Deverry series, especially the first book, Daggerspell. It Intrigued me and I read at least  four of them in quick succession.

Book of Words series by J.V.Jones. I reread it recently and it's stood the test of time. Her other series A Sword of Shadows is almost as good and equally as memorable but it's not finished yet.

The Sevenwaters series by Juliette Marillier. In fact I'd recommend anything she's written. She writes beautiful descriptions with well rounded characters you care about and I love the history. In fact The  Saga of the Light Iles might even be better.

The Shannara Books  by Terry Brooks.

The first three books of the Vampire chronicles by Anne Rice.

Historical fantasy mainly but knowing me it'll be all the ones I read as a child. Enid Blyton Scifi?
Elsye Harwood | My Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac