Kindle Forum banner

Controlling the width of the forums

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ann in Arlington 
#1 ·
Hi!

First off, I love these forums. So much great information here! I'm glad I found them.

I have a wide screen computer, and posts stretch all the way across on my screen. Reading posts can get a little tedious having to read such a long line of text on each line. It's like the world's slowest game of tennis with my eyes moving over from edge to edge.  :p I read a lot on my iPad, and on that platform, it's no problem, but I visit the forums a lot on my computer too. I was wondering if there was a way to control the width of the forums on the server side. Are users allowed to change the styles applied by the forum software to something different? (I know phpbb3 allows users to select from a list of approved styles. I searched through my available settings and I didn't see an option to control styles. I could have missed it.) I'd like to be able to choose a smaller-width style when I'm on my computer and maybe switch it back when I'm on my iPad. If not, I think there are some Chrome extensions I can get that will allow me to set a personal CSS style sheet for a page. I'll do some research. And that may be the easiest option for me--and for you guys as it means no changes--to use, but I thought a quick question couldn't hurt.  :)

Anyway, thank you for running such an informative set of forums!

Best,
J

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm using a 34in wide screen monitor, with screen split on it. I set it to 3 sections wide, then drag the sides of the browser to the actual width I want, which is about 1/2 the screen width,but the middle half.

Without split screen, try to use the minimize button top right, and then drag the resulting box to the size you want.

#3 ·
JL--

glad you're enjoying the forum!

I haven't found a way to do that on the user end, but we'll do more research.

The simplest way to me would be to change the width of your browser window, no matter how wide your monitor.

Betsy

#4 ·
Cool! Thanks Betsy and Timothy!

Yeah, that's what I've been doing, minimizing my browser to a smaller window. But I'm one of those people who has about 100 tabs open in my browser, and it makes flipping through tabs a little wonky. I use Chrome, and each tab turns into a little gray shark fin with no way to tell what's on that tab. It's an easy workaround by simply re-enlarging the tab again, of course.

So I guess you could say my question really amounts to me being lazy. :p Me: "Ugh! *heavy sigh* I have to click that maximize button again. OMG! *grumble*" (I'm really not that lazy, I promise. lol!) If you do find a way to turn on account-based styles, that would be cool. But if not, I'll surely muddle through somehow. :D

Thanks again!

Best,
J

#5 ·
JLCarver said:
Cool! Thanks Betsy and Timothy!

Yeah, that's what I've been doing, minimizing my browser to a smaller window. But I'm one of those people who has about 100 tabs open in my browser, and it makes flipping through tabs a little wonky. I use Chrome, and each tab turns into a little gray shark fin with no way to tell what's on that tab. It's an easy workaround by simply re-enlarging the tab again, of course.

So I guess you could say my question really amounts to me being lazy. :p Me: "Ugh! *heavy sigh* I have to click that maximize button again. OMG! *grumble*" (I'm really not that lazy, I promise. lol!) If you do find a way to turn on account-based styles, that would be cool. But if not, I'll surely muddle through somehow. :D

Thanks again!

Best,
J
I get lazy, believe me!!!! Perhaps instead of having a tab, you could have KBoards in a separate browser window? I can have multiple instances of Firefox open, and I tend to have the browser window set to the size that's useful to me for what I'm doing on a particular site...

Betsy

#6 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
I get lazy, believe me!!!! Perhaps instead of having a tab, you could fave KBoards in a separate browser window? I can have multiple instances of Firefox open, and I tend to have the browser window set to the size that's useful to me for what I'm doing on a particular site...

Betsy
Ooh! See, that's why they pay you the big bucks. :D Great idea! Kicking myself for not having thought of it on my own. lol!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.