Author Topic: LGBT Authors Support Thread  (Read 27407 times)  

Offline Shelley K

• Does things wrong.
    • View Profile
Re: LGBT Authors Support Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2016, 09:52:11 PM »
Hey, y'all - I'm trying to thing of ways to describe my upcoming release.

If I said, "Sookie Stackhouse meets Will and Patrick" would anyone know what I meant?

I know who Sookie is, but not the rest.

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2016, 10:02:33 AM »
I know who Sookie is, but not the rest.

I wouldn't.   :-[

Okay - I'll mark that one off the list :-D

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2016, 09:37:52 AM »
In case you missed it, two LGBTQ books won RITA awards last night for the first time in history.

One was also self-published:

Contemporary Romance mid-length
Him by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy
Self-published
Edie Danford, editor

Erotic Romance
For Real: A Spires Story by Alexis Hall
Riptide Publishing
Sarah Lyons, editor

Offline Michele_Mills

• California
  • Yes, I changed my avatar. Don't be afraid.:))
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2016, 12:05:12 PM »
In case you missed it, two LGBTQ books won RITA awards last night for the first time in history.

One was also self-published:

Contemporary Romance mid-length
Him by Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy
Self-published
Edie Danford, editor

Erotic Romance
For Real: A Spires Story by Alexis Hall
Riptide Publishing
Sarah Lyons, editor
I know! I'm so excited! Alexis Hall is my friend so I'm so proud I'm bursting. I was watching it last night live because RWA was streaming the event on their website. Alexis Hall's editor, Sarah Lyons presented a beautiful speech to commemorate. Here's the text of what she said for anyone who missed it. I'm 99% certain RWA will have the whole ceremony up on Youtube soon if anyone wants to watch.

Here's what Sarah has posted on her FB concerning her speech:

So, last night, at the National Conference of the Romance Writers of America, a book I edited, FOR REAL, by the incomparable, inimitable, stunningly talented Alexis Hall, won a RITA Award. This award is like the Oscar, the Pulitzer, the Hugo of the Romance world. And this is only the second year that queer romance has been nominated. And the first time (or two for the night) that queer romance won. And as such, I felt it was kind of important to say some things. So here they are, here's my acceptance speech (yes, editors get acknowledged too and also get to give an acceptance speech).

On behalf of Riptide Publishing, thank you to RWA for this honor.

Thank you to Alexis Hall, who gave me such an exquisite book to work with. Your writing is unlike anything else. There's a reason it has the most real estate on my arms.

Thank you to those women back in the 70s who wrote Kirk / Spock fan fiction and found ways to share it with each other pre Internet.

Thank you to the pioneers of digital Publishing, who as we know, were all in romance, many of in queer romance, and made it possible for readers to find what they were looking for.

Thank you to all the authors and readers who know that queer people across the rainbow spectrum deserve our own happy endings too and demand that they be written and published.

And while all you brilliant writers out there can and do imagine and write anything with sensitivity and truth, thank you to all the ‪#‎ownvoices‬ authors, queer and trans, brown and black, who know that the right and opportunity to tell our stories and have our voices heard is so so important.

Happy Pride, y'all. And thank you again.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:07:24 PM by Michele_Mills »

Michele Mills | Facebook | Twitter

Online David Greene

• Chicago, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • David Greene Books
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »
I've been around Kindleboards for several years but never happened upon this thread until today. My books all have gay or bisexual characters.

One note I have to pass along is to be aware that some advertising/listing promotion sites won't take LGBT books.

I received an email titled "PROBLEM with your submission" from eBookLister last week:
Your listing titled "Unmentionables: A Novel" (B003AQBBXG) - submitted to eBookLister has a problem that prohibits it from being listed on our site. The problem is noted as follows:

We do not accept Gay/Lesbian submissions.

What I find amusing about this is that the tone of the email makes it sound as if a computer innocently scanned my submission for any problems and then detected a problem which is carefully "noted" -- all very impersonal.

Anyway ... skip eBookLister if you have any LGBT characters in your story, because they are checking for problems!

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2016, 02:07:46 PM »
Hi David!

I had the same experience with ebooklister.

Also, a few people have wondered if ENT has an "unofficial" policy.

Here's a thread for places that we've found to be good fits for one reason or another. Fortunately, most sites don't discriminate like this.

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,221814.0/all.html

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #156 on: July 17, 2016, 02:09:52 PM »

Thank you to Alexis Hall, who gave me such an exquisite book to work with. Your writing is unlike anything else. There's a reason it has the most real estate on my arms.

He really is a brilliant writer, and I'm so, so happy he won.  :)

Sarina Bowen and Elle Kennedy, of course. But I haven't had a chance to read their book yet, so I'm naturally biased.

Online David Greene

• Chicago, Illinois
    • View Profile
    • David Greene Books
« Reply #157 on: July 17, 2016, 02:23:21 PM »
Also, a few people have wondered if ENT has an "unofficial" policy.

Here's a thread for places that we've found to be good fits for one reason or another. Fortunately, most sites don't discriminate like this.

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,221814.0/all.html

Thanks for the list of promotion sites, Irene. Very helpful!

BTW, I did get accepted for an ENT promotion once for my book Detonate which has a character who describes himself as "half gay/half straight" in the blurb. Of course during the storyline in Detonate he is mostly in the straight half, so maybe ENT didn't notice.

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #158 on: July 17, 2016, 02:54:47 PM »
Thanks for the list of promotion sites, Irene. Very helpful!

BTW, I did get accepted for an ENT promotion once for my book Detonate which has a character who describes himself as "half gay/half straight" in the blurb. Of course during the storyline in Detonate he is mostly in the straight half, so maybe ENT didn't notice.

Congrats on the ENT. Be great if our fears were proved unfounded.

Offline Shiriluna Nott

• Upstate New York
  • *maniacal laughter*
    • View Profile
    • Shiriluna Nott
« Reply #159 on: July 17, 2016, 03:10:38 PM »
I was having a terrible time getting accepted by ENT (with an LGBT fantasy book that had been run by BookBub, nonetheless), but finally ENT did feature the book after maybe... six or seven attempts?

Results were mediocre at best though (I usually pull the same number of free downloads with a $5 BKnights ad), so I don't know if I'd go through the hassle of submitting to ENT again.

Shiriluna Nott, writer of LGBT epic fantasy. Currently writing: Book Four *and* Book 1.5 of the Chronicles of Arden.
 | Facebook Author Page | Website | Mailing List | Twitter @ShirilunaNott |

Offline Michele_Mills

• California
  • Yes, I changed my avatar. Don't be afraid.:))
    • View Profile
    • website
« Reply #160 on: July 17, 2016, 06:43:29 PM »
Correction! Tiffany Reisz- The Saint won a RITA in 2015, the first LGBTQ romance to do so, ever.

For Real and Him were the first m/m romances to win, ever. Here's a post on the clarification:
http://www.quicunquevult.com/notes-and-corrections

Michele Mills | Facebook | Twitter

Offline IreneP

• Austin, Texas
    • View Profile
    • IrenePreston.com
« Reply #161 on: July 17, 2016, 06:46:24 PM »
Omg - I stand corrected.

I'm still thrilled for all the authors and the LGBTQIA+ community as a whole, though   ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 06:49:20 PM by IreneP »

Offline Luke Winters

• Wroxham, Norfolk, UK.
    • View Profile
    • Luke Winters - Home
« Reply #162 on: August 11, 2016, 11:22:54 AM »
There is a site for F/F fiction that my better half has just set up. It's in the early stages, but looking good so far. Anything that's decently written and F/F is welcome there. She's all over Twitter at the moment if you wanted to get in touch with her (@femmefic), or just ping me a note and I'll pass it on.

http://www.femmefic.com
Man Down: 95%
UK based writer.
Luke Winters | Website | Amazon | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline Alex Anders

• At the intersection of Business and Pleasure
    • View Profile
    • AlexAndersBooks.com
« Reply #163 on: September 30, 2016, 01:15:33 AM »
What a great idea for a thread. I am bisexual and recently I decided to focus exclusively on M/M/F bisexual romance. Since I do youtube videos it seems an obvious choice now, but took me a while to realize how popular MMF stories are and how many readers on my mailling list identify MMF as one of their favorite genres. :-)

MMF Bisexual Romance Author

Website | YouTube | Facebook| Twitter | T-shirts

Offline GajaJKos

• View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2016, 02:23:18 AM »
What a great idea for a thread. I am bisexual and recently I decided to focus exclusively on M/M/F bisexual romance. Since I do youtube videos it seems an obvious choice now, but took me a while to realize how popular MMF stories are and how many readers on my mailling list identify MMF as one of their favorite genres. :-)

YAY! Sorry, I don't really have anything else to say except that I'm alway so excited to see another bisexual author who writes about bisexual characters  :D

There aren't nearly enough of us out there.

Nice to hear that you've found your readers!

Gaja J. Kos | Website

Offline Jean E

• Co Mayo, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2016, 09:33:40 AM »
Great to hear of your success.  Nice when it comes together.  I have just embarked on a lesbian detective series and am co-authoring with my partner of thirty years.   We put the first one out earlier this year and are putting the finishing touches to the second one now.

Only just spotted this thread and have really enjoyed reading about what everyone is doing and getting some great advice.

Offline judygoodwin

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • My Writerly World
« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2016, 09:58:55 AM »
Ooh, a lesbian detective series!  I've been thinking about starting one myself, except I have a few other projects I need to finish first.

Good luck!
"Have fun storming the castle!" --Miracle Max

|      |        
Judy Goodwin | author website _____________________ J.T. Hall  |  website  Amazon Author Page

Offline Jean E

• Co Mayo, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2016, 11:10:07 AM »
Thanks, Judy.  Yeah, Angela has been an avid reader of the genre for decades but never came across one set in the West of Ireland where we live now, so that's where we set it.   The title of our book, from Clare to Here, is the title of a popular folk song and the dastardly deed occurs at a famous beauty spot overlooking the Atlantic ocean.

If you did embark on a similar series yourself, where would you set it?  Arizona, perhaps.  I've never been there but I am picturing cowgirls, amazing reddish-rocky scenery, a high bright sun and everywhere is dry as dust.  I am probably way off the mark :)

Anyway, good luck with whatever you are up to too!

Offline Alex Anders

• View Profile
    • AlexAndersBooks.com
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2016, 08:46:33 PM »
YAY! Sorry, I don't really have anything else to say except that I'm alway so excited to see another bisexual author who writes about bisexual characters  :D

There aren't nearly enough of us out there.

Nice to hear that you've found your readers!
Hey GajajKos! Hey Jean E!
It's nice to meet you both!

And I wouldn't say that I've found my readership quite yet. I'm still at the beginning of introducing myself to readers in the MMF subgenre. I released a couple of books so far and my werewolf/BDSM/MM readers who also happen to like MMF bought it and then it died. But now I've decided to play the long game since MMF bisexual stuff is my life.

No more chasing the latest chart toppers for me. It nice to completely enjoy what I'm writing again.

GajajKos,
I agree 100%! There are definitely not enough of us.

Offline noirhvy

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2016, 09:49:17 PM »
I'm flogging a story about a dyed-in-the-wool macho Private Eye character in Hollywood in the 1940s who keeps running into colorful locals, like the lesbian film Super Star in the silver lame gown with the opera-length over-the-elbow silver lame gloves that is trying to put bullet holes in Our Hero. It's not a gay or lesbian story but those poeple just happen to be in there an I wish I knew how to let people know who might be interested in such a novel so I can advertise somewhere to get their atention. 8)

Offline shunterni

• Ohio
    • View Profile
    • shunternisbet.com
« Reply #170 on: October 01, 2016, 08:18:37 AM »
Yeah, noirhvy, I'm with you. My books are dystopian sci-fi, and are more "books with LGBTQ characters" than they are LGBTQ books. They aren't romances and they aren't issue books, so they tend to fall off the radar in some places. My also-boughts are nothing but MM romance, yet it's not a romance, but the people who seem to like it are people who primarily seek out LGBTQ characters. Yet I can't even say which characters are when telling people about my book because that's a major spoiler. It's very frustrating.

I did manage to get an ENT advert, but my books don't really mention anything about LGBTQ in the blurbs because it's not a major plot point in the first third of the novel. So that's not a good example of what they will or won't take.

I've got a more traditional MM romance in the works, though, so hopefully that will prove much easier to find a target audience for.

S. Hunter Nisbet | Under-Paid, Over Enthused

Offline Alex Anders

• View Profile
    • AlexAndersBooks.com
« Reply #171 on: October 01, 2016, 09:56:34 AM »
Yeah, noirhvy, I'm with you. My books are dystopian sci-fi, and are more "books with LGBTQ characters" than they are LGBTQ books. They aren't romances and they aren't issue books, so they tend to fall off the radar in some places. My also-boughts are nothing but MM romance, yet it's not a romance, but the people who seem to like it are people who primarily seek out LGBTQ characters. Yet I can't even say which characters are when telling people about my book because that's a major spoiler. It's very frustrating.

I did manage to get an ENT advert, but my books don't really mention anything about LGBTQ in the blurbs because it's not a major plot point in the first third of the novel. So that's not a good example of what they will or won't take.
Hi Shunterni,
I had a similar dilemma with my books 'Dying for the Rose' and 'It Runs'. What I did was subtitle them as "Bisexual-Friendly" ie. "A Bisexual-Friendly Romantic Suspense".

I also have bisexual romances, but the way I differentiate between the two categories is; a bisexual romance is a story about a romance that wouldn't have occurred if one of the characters weren't bisexual. A bisexual-friendly book or romance is a story where one of the main characters are bisexual, but their sexual orientation doesn't have a substantial effect on the twists and turns of the story.

Perhaps you can do something similar.

EDIT: BTW Shunterni, did you make money from the ENT advert?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 10:11:53 AM by Alex Anders »

Offline Matt.Banks

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 01, 2016, 12:40:47 PM »
I think the first couple of books I publish will be m/f but after that I plan to write both m/f and m/m with the same pen name. I write primarily fantasy romance, with properly branded covers and blurbs I don't think there will be any confusion.

Offline shunterni

• Ohio
    • View Profile
    • shunternisbet.com
« Reply #173 on: October 01, 2016, 02:14:12 PM »
Hi Shunterni,
I had a similar dilemma with my books 'Dying for the Rose' and 'It Runs'. What I did was subtitle them as "Bisexual-Friendly" ie. "A Bisexual-Friendly Romantic Suspense".

I also have bisexual romances, but the way I differentiate between the two categories is; a bisexual romance is a story about a romance that wouldn't have occurred if one of the characters weren't bisexual. A bisexual-friendly book or romance is a story where one of the main characters are bisexual, but their sexual orientation doesn't have a substantial effect on the twists and turns of the story.

Perhaps you can do something similar.

EDIT: BTW Shunterni, did you make money from the ENT advert?

It's a thought, but because my books literally have no romance in them, I think it would be a bit misleading. I might stick something in the blurb, though.

And no, I didn't make money from ENT, but I only had one book out at the time, so that's not a huge surprise, either. Who knows how many of those readers followed through with the sequels.

S. Hunter Nisbet | Under-Paid, Over Enthused

Offline Alex Anders

• View Profile
    • AlexAndersBooks.com
« Reply #174 on: October 02, 2016, 12:48:36 AM »
It's a thought, but because my books literally have no romance in them, I think it would be a bit misleading. I might stick something in the blurb, though.

And no, I didn't make money from ENT, but I only had one book out at the time, so that's not a huge surprise, either. Who knows how many of those readers followed through with the sequels.
Shunterni,
Just so you know, 'It Runs' is a 'Bisexual-Friendly Supernatural Thriller', not a romance. The term 'Bisexual-Friendly' just indicates that bisexuals might like the story.

I'm sorry to hear about ENT. Thanks for the insight.