Author Topic: LGBT Authors Support Thread  (Read 28454 times)  

Offline LucasCWheeler

• Michigan
  • Finally published! :D
    • View Profile
    • Author's Website
Re: LGBT Authors Support Thread
« Reply #175 on: October 02, 2016, 10:39:29 AM »
I'm glad to have found this thread. I've decided to write M/M Romance and M/M Paranormal Romance on a pen name. I've outlined a bit and it's exciting, but I want to get my real name works done first. I'll be lurking on this thread though. :3
Star Dog Liberation: 100%

Online judygoodwin

• Arizona
    • View Profile
    • My Writerly World
« Reply #176 on: October 03, 2016, 11:20:06 AM »
Thanks, Judy.  Yeah, Angela has been an avid reader of the genre for decades but never came across one set in the West of Ireland where we live now, so that's where we set it.   The title of our book, from Clare to Here, is the title of a popular folk song and the dastardly deed occurs at a famous beauty spot overlooking the Atlantic ocean.

If you did embark on a similar series yourself, where would you set it?  Arizona, perhaps.  I've never been there but I am picturing cowgirls, amazing reddish-rocky scenery, a high bright sun and everywhere is dry as dust.  I am probably way off the mark :)

Anyway, good luck with whatever you are up to too!

Lol well I do plan to set it Arizona, but there won't be any cowgirls or redrock canyons. I plan to have it be a college-age duo on the campus at Arizona State University in Tempe (college town where I grew up). I want to do a nerd/jock type of pairing.

And yes, it's always dry here. And dusty.
"Have fun storming the castle!" --Miracle Max

|      |        
Judy Goodwin | author website _____________________ J.T. Hall  |  website  Amazon Author Page

Offline MichaelJSea

• View Profile
    • MichaelJensen.com
« Reply #177 on: October 03, 2016, 02:38:08 PM »
Hey All,

I just discovered this thread and wanted to say. I've knocking around the writing world for going on twenty years now. I traditionally pubbed my first book back in 1999, then a sequel a few years later. A little while after that a friend and I co-founded AfterElton.com which I ran for five years. I'm finally getting back to writing novels, my first love. I got back the rights to my first two books and am republishing them with new titles, new covers, and some moderate rewrites. Anyway, looking forward to getting to know everyone here!

Michael
|

Offline Jean E

• Co Mayo, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 03, 2016, 03:01:51 PM »
Lol well I do plan to set it Arizona, but there won't be any cowgirls or redrock canyons. I plan to have it be a college-age duo on the campus at Arizona State University in Tempe (college town where I grew up). I want to do a nerd/jock type of pairing.

And yes, it's always dry here. And dusty.

Your setting sounds great.  Lots of opportunity for plots and action.   And your pairing sounds intriguing.  Don't forget to let me know when you get around to writing it.  Angela will be delighted, she is always on the look out for another dyke detective.

Not so dry here at the moment, it has been raining all day and it won't stop until tomorrow morning.  But that's Ireland.

Offline MichaelJSea

• View Profile
    • MichaelJensen.com
« Reply #179 on: October 05, 2016, 04:37:53 PM »
Welcome! I love M/M Romance and Historical fiction so I'm looking forward to checking it out come November. Good luck with everything and if you feel like it let us know how everything goes with your launch! I'd be curious how big of a pool readers like me are swimming in.  ;D

Will do! I've actually got a pretty extensive marketing plan all teed up. Fingers crossed~
|

Offline AmpersandBookInteriors

• Because & means more.
    • View Profile
    • Ampersand Book Interiors
« Reply #180 on: October 05, 2016, 05:50:14 PM »
I think I was in this thread once. So I'm in here again.

So much Ghey. :D

Ebook formatting starting at $25.00. Print typesetting starting at $75.00.
Colleen Sheehan | Ampersand Book Interiors

Offline Erick Cameron

• Western USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 06, 2016, 10:42:19 AM »
Hello all,

I have recently discovered Kboards and this thread :).

I am an attorney by day but write M/M erotica by night (well ok I often write during the day as well). I have recently published two books. "Bi Shadow" and "Tropical Passion." Both are part of what I am calling my "Erotic Tale Series." Written in memoir format, they are based on actual events in my life, primarily my youth which although not all that long ago feels like an eternity...

Of course, I take Artistic License (and a Pen Name) to maintain the privacy of all involved and to expand the stories out. Anyone who has ever questioned their sexual orientation or been in love with someone of their own gender, even while they resisted it, will relate.

Part of the books are self-discovery, I am a bisexual who is now in a loving & committed monogamous heterosexual relationship (it is not as complicated as it sounds). Mostly, however, they are fascinating tales, not just about a sexual coming of age but really of love itself. I hope to continue on the "Erotic Tale Series," but also plan on expanding on to other Gay & Bisexual Romance and erotic fiction.

I am glad there is a forum here for authors in this genre as I get a little squeamish talking about this topic or my books in other threads, although I have to say I have found the Writer's Cafe to be very open to Artistic Expression as well as a welcoming environment.

Erick

Offline T. Scott

• Atlanta, GA
  • I am a writer working towards doing this full time
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 06, 2016, 11:53:29 PM »
Hello guys and gals,
I just came across this thread and maybe you can advise me on cover ideas for my new book. My main character Cedric is overweight and has multiple self-esteem issues. He has unrequited love for an educated and conservative guy. He also has a hot Dominican hustler on the side. The genre for this story would be Drama/Romance. Putting an overweight man on the cover is not something you see in this kind of genre. I need inspiration to maybe show either one or the two of the secondary characters on the cover but my problem is how can I include an element of Cedric without showing him on the cover. That being said I am open to any ideas or those that are to the contrary.

Online HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
  • Manslaughter, She Inscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2016, 08:58:40 AM »
Well, it is a very good read, and from a well established author.  I loved it.  :)

A cover can also be more abstract and do well, if it's still appealing.  If you don't find the right model, or don't want a person on your cover.  It's less common, but it can work.

http://natashasnowdesigns.com/ has done some covers that are more abstract and still work great.  I do prefer covers with people on when possible, but it's not absolutely necessary.

Hollis Shiloh  | My blog | Amazon page

Offline Jean E

• Co Mayo, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2016, 09:55:59 AM »
Not a fan of people on covers myself.  I don't want a picture of a character in my head before I even open the book.  I would prefer something which represents a vital part of the story or some aspect of the atmosphere.

Offline T. Scott

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 16, 2016, 07:30:07 PM »
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-Gay-Romance/zgbs/digital-text/6487829011

"The Weight Of It All" has been on the top gay Amazon list (top of the top 100) for a while now, as I type it's currently at 14 but it was number 1 for many days. On the cover... an overweight guy sitting alone on a bench. Seems to me people would be okay seeing a less ripped, if clothed, torso on a romance cover. Doesn't surprise me, with BBW being so popular, why not BBM/M? :P
Markus I recently came across The Weight Of It All on Amazon and the picture of the guy sitting on the bench I saw on shutter stock. I didn't know there was a BBM/M category. I will look into it. Thanks for the heads u

Offline T. Scott

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2016, 07:36:05 PM »
Well, it is a very good read, and from a well established author.  I loved it.  :)

A cover can also be more abstract and do well, if it's still appealing.  If you don't find the right model, or don't want a person on your cover.  It's less common, but it can work.

http://natashasnowdesigns.com/ has done some covers that are more abstract and still work great.  I do prefer covers with people on when possible, but it's not absolutely necessary.
This is something I am considering. Btw I really like the cover of your book Foxed. You don't see their  whole faces so people can make up in their minds what the character really looks like based on your description.

Offline T. Scott

• Atlanta, GA
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2016, 07:38:16 PM »
Not a fan of people on covers myself.  I don't want a picture of a character in my head before I even open the book.  I would prefer something which represents a vital part of the story or some aspect of the atmosphere.
I might have to do that seeing as it's hard to find the right stock picture. The unfortunate thing about them is that you sometimes see the same picture on somebody else's book cover.

Offline MichaelJSea

• View Profile
    • MichaelJensen.com
« Reply #188 on: October 17, 2016, 07:06:54 AM »
As you can see from two covers below, I'm also not a fan of faces on covers. I find them too distracting and ruin my mental image of the character.
|

Offline Lia Cooper

• Olympia, WA
    • View Profile
    • Lia Cooper -- Speculative Romantic
« Reply #189 on: October 18, 2016, 04:42:07 PM »
Who do you guys use for editing? i write m/m romance and this seems to be a topic that a lot of editors won't work with =/

Lia Cooper | Blog | Twitter

• Because & means more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2016, 04:58:07 PM »
Who do you guys use for editing? i write m/m romance and this seems to be a topic that a lot of editors won't work with =/

You should quiery at larksandkatydids.com . They have a very liberal team there, and one of the team is LGBTQ themselves :)

Online HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 18, 2016, 05:11:51 PM »
Carol Davis will edit gay romance, but not erotica: https://caroldavisauthor.com/a-better-look-editing-services/

Offline heynonny

• hilarious one-liner here
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2016, 05:27:26 PM »
I've been very happy with Beth Balmanno at By the Book Editing:

http://www.bythebookediting.com/
going incognito for now

Offline ForeverSam

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2016, 05:43:40 PM »
Hi all...

Ironic I would find this thread today. I wrote a f/f novel (with multiple other same-sex couples) and submitted to Kindle Scout and just found out today it was rejected despite having FANTASTIC stats (6.5k page views and 709 hours in hot and trending) and I honestly can't help but feel that it was rejected due to the fact that it's an LGBT novel, but I haven't really been able to say that anywhere because, well, mentioning latent homophobia tends to make people uncomfortable. I just really needed to say it somewhere.
The Lost Magic: 100%

House of the Lost (Working Title): 0%
S.L. Rawson

• Because & means more.
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 18, 2016, 06:03:55 PM »
Hi all...

Ironic I would find this thread today. I wrote a f/f novel (with multiple other same-sex couples) and submitted to Kindle Scout and just found out today it was rejected despite having FANTASTIC stats (6.5k page views and 709 hours in hot and trending) and I honestly can't help but feel that it was rejected due to the fact that it's an LGBT novel, but I haven't really been able to say that anywhere because, well, mentioning latent homophobia tends to make people uncomfortable. I just really needed to say it somewhere.

I know that feeling exactly. It could have been the LGBT thread, it could have been something totally unrelated, it's hard to know :( All we can do is just keep being awesome. And multicolored :D

Online HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: October 18, 2016, 06:04:56 PM »
They definitely don't go just by stats, I know that much.  I don't know if latent homophobic comes into it, but I don't blame you for feeling that way.   :-[

Btw I really like the cover of your book Foxed. You don't see their  whole faces so people can make up in their minds what the character really looks like based on your description.

Oh, thanks by the way!  :-)  It definitely wasn't one I made myself.   ;)  I have maybe three total covers I made myself that actually look fairly professional.

Offline ForeverSam

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 18, 2016, 06:21:52 PM »
I do know they don't go just by stats, but it's really, really hard not to feel that way when you have people with less time in hot and trending and less page views getting chosen over you.

I'm trying not to be bitter or angry or break down crying. It's just....really hard.

S.L. Rawson

Online HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 18, 2016, 06:27:36 PM »
I've wanted to post something there before...and I've definitely voted for the LGBT stuff I've seen (like Bonnie Dee had something posted awhile ago), but realistically, I can't justify the "chance."  I don't think Amazon imprints have ever done any genre fiction about gay people.  (IDK if they've published literary fiction with LGBT...I don't read literary stuff enough to find out.) 

These are their imprints: https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=s9_acss_ft_ki_x_nav_link1?docId=1003018741&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-1&pf_rd_r=33ZHVG8H2XKG0ECBNCN4&pf_rd_t=1401&pf_rd_p=2356427302&pf_rd_i=1000664761

They have an imprint for Christian fiction (mostly romance).  They have the Montlake imprint for  "regular" (aka non-Christian, straight-only) romance.  As far as I know, they aren't interested in getting into gay romance, lesbian romance, or any other LGBT fiction.  That's the sad fact.

Perhaps if it ever gets to be enough of a moneymaker, they'll dip their toes into the water, but I honestly am not holding my breath.

I'm sorry you got your hopes up, and dashed.  The good news is, when you self-pub, you already know there's a lot of interest for you book (or you wouldn't have gotten so many votes!).

I hope you feel better soon and get through this.

Offline Lia Cooper

• Olympia, WA
    • View Profile
    • Lia Cooper -- Speculative Romantic
« Reply #198 on: October 19, 2016, 12:40:07 AM »
First off, thanks everyone for the speedy responses about editors. I'm in limbo atm with the woman i'd planned to work with this winter and I'm feeling quite relieved to have some names to query should the need arise next month

Secondly,
I do know they don't go just by stats, but it's really, really hard not to feel that way when you have people with less time in hot and trending and less page views getting chosen over you.

I'm trying not to be bitter or angry or break down crying. It's just....really hard.

that is very heartbreaking. *hug* it's hard and frustrating when there's all of us tiptoeing around here trying not to accidentally mislabel someone (or many someones) as latently homophobic when it seems like a lot of doors get slammed in our faces--both historically and as an ongoing issue. Hsh makes a good point that Amazon doesn't have an overtly queer-friendly imprint, but do Kindle Scout books go thru their imprints? I thought they had different contracts (never looked into it myself).

Did amazon provide any feedback as to why your book was eliminated from the Scout program?
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 12:41:38 AM by Lia Cooper »

Lia Cooper | Blog | Twitter

Offline ForeverSam

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2016, 05:33:31 AM »
First off, thanks everyone for the speedy responses about editors. I'm in limbo atm with the woman i'd planned to work with this winter and I'm feeling quite relieved to have some names to query should the need arise next month

Secondly,
that is very heartbreaking. *hug* it's hard and frustrating when there's all of us tiptoeing around here trying not to accidentally mislabel someone (or many someones) as latently homophobic when it seems like a lot of doors get slammed in our faces--both historically and as an ongoing issue. Hsh makes a good point that Amazon doesn't have an overtly queer-friendly imprint, but do Kindle Scout books go thru their imprints? I thought they had different contracts (never looked into it myself).

Did amazon provide any feedback as to why your book was eliminated from the Scout program?

Sorry for the delay, I've been having a rough couple days. But no, they didn't, and it's pretty much robbed me of any motivation to go forward with this book so it all just sucks all around.

I've talked to quite a few people about it and they're just as bewildered as I am about why it wasn't picked - the writing was strong, the story was interesting, the stats were amazing. By all means everyone over in the Scout thread expected me to get it. Which just makes me feel worse and more suspicious about what their actual reasons for rejecting it were.

S.L. Rawson

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac