NetGalley

Author Topic: LGBT Authors Support Thread  (Read 27457 times)  

Online DCRWrites

• Wentworth Hall, Tellus of Sol
  • A writer writes
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Yesterday's Tomorrow
Re: LGBT Authors Support Thread
« Reply #300 on: June 13, 2018, 09:57:13 PM »
I can image because of the romance factor of having to have a HEA in the first book, and some people might confuse it with romance if it's not. Still, that's great! :)

In this case its that her love interest doesnt appear until book 2. The romance grew out of my trying to figure out why someone who I had thought was going to be a walk-on character insisted on sticking around.

Welcome to the worlds outside my window
Dave Robinson | Blog | Twitter

Online Fran Feliz

• USA
  • Writer of YA/NA + LGBTQ Lit
    • View Profile
    • Author Site
« Reply #301 on: June 13, 2018, 09:59:57 PM »
Aw, yeah, I've been there before. It can be frustrating at first until you realize just how great the newly focused character can be. Sometimes, you don't even mean to write romance elements and then you just do, as if the characters told you to do so. :)
Fran Feliz: WordPress | Twitter | Facebook

Offline HSh

• Homicide, She Typed
  • Manslaughter, She Inscribed
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 14, 2018, 01:36:08 AM »
I missed writing shorter stories, too. I'm doing one a month for Patreon now.  It's an interesting experiment.

Sometimes I feel a bit nihilistic about writing lately. We take this thing we love, this art, and now it earns money...and the pressure to produce more, and faster, can  feel stifling.

I'm not sure if a short story a month is sustainable for me, but a novel a month wasn't.  I've always been a write fast, publish fast sort of indie.  But lately fast isn't working quite as well for me.

Hollis Shiloh  | My blog | Amazon page

Online AlysonBelle

• View Profile
« Reply #303 on: June 14, 2018, 09:02:11 AM »
Hi everyone,

Thanks for starting this thread! Lots of interesting comments here. I write transgender romance and erotic romance for transgender audiences, usually with magic or scifi mechanics driving a gender change and then an exploration of feelings and themes common to transgender people mid-transition. Rather than taking a heavy, serious stance, my work tends to keep things light, silly, sexy, and fantasy-oriented. I think of what I write as bodice-rippers for TG audiences looking for that type of thing. My books also tend to feature other LGBT characters on the periphery of the main character as well, and deal a lot with family, self-acceptance, and finding love.

I've been pleasantly surprised at the reception my books have gotten when I've dipped into genres like Scifi and LitRPG, where honestly I expected either crickets or a strong negative backlash from readers, and instead find that people have enjoyed the work when they review it even if they're not reading it for the gender swap elements.

It's great seeing LGBT characters in general become more mainstream in all different types of genres and settings (and not just romance, although I love LGBT romances too, obviously), although we still have a long way to go. There are times when I feel really conflicted about writing erotic romance and focusing heavily on sex scenes in some of my work, because trans people are constantly fighting an uphill battle to explain that our identities aren't a sexual fetish, which is still a very common attitude... but then, on the other hand, I get annoyed at myself for thinking that because I also think trans people deserve to be able to explore whatever fantasies they want to in fiction, just like anyone else gets to. Sex is a universal human thing, and trans experiences with it are often very complicated and grapple with the experience of feeling like your body is all wrong for you.

Sometimes it's nice to have a break from the hard realities of that (and the romantic rejections that many trans people struggle with at times) and imagine that someone just waved a magic wand, flipped your gender for you, and you now have the freedom to go chase romance like any other person. I think it's important to give people that outlet when their experiences can so often be heavy and alienating, and I know stories like mine helped me process that fear of loneliness and rejection when I was early in my transition.

Offline Dragon

• Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
    • Words & Worlds
« Reply #304 on: June 16, 2018, 04:27:50 PM »
Good to know, trying to find good lesfic in space can be difficult! thanks for the recommendations!
Dragon

I can think of several MilSciFi/SpaceFleet series that feature lesbian and/or pansexual protagonists. The Dragonfire Station series by Zen Dipietro comes to mind. My favorite is a solo novel: Dal, by E.M. Hamill. It's gender fluid instead of lesbian, but it's a solid space fleet story. Unknown Horizons, by CJ Birch is another fun lezfic space opera stand alone. I know it's not MilSciFi/SpaceFleet, but I can't say enough good things about the Nemesis series by April Daniels (trans superhero.)

Online Mark Gardner

• Arizona, USA
    • View Profile
    • Article 94
« Reply #305 on: June 16, 2018, 05:21:03 PM »
An LGBT space fantasy that I enjoyed came out last week. Rebirth, by L. Fergus. I reviewed it on my blog: https://article94.com/2018/06/14/rebirth-by-l-fergus/

I've got an LGBT short coming out on Tuesday (June 19th) for pride month. Originally, I wrote it for the Queen of Swords pirate anthology, but it wasn't pirate-y enough :) plus it's a bit dark. Anyway, if anyone here would spread the word, I'd appreciate it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DRL3FXQ/ it's in Kindle Unlimited, and if anyone would like a review copy, just email me.

Online DCRWrites

• Wentworth Hall, Tellus of Sol
  • A writer writes
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Yesterday's Tomorrow
« Reply #306 on: June 16, 2018, 08:10:55 PM »
My latest, The Sunkiller Affair (link in sig), features a lesbian co-lead fighting her first space battle. It is retro-pulp though there are references to space opera aspects in the series.

Welcome to the worlds outside my window
Dave Robinson | Blog | Twitter