Author Topic: FREE with Kindle Unlimited - Murder Mystery with Great Reviews  (Read 1091 times)  

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
FREE with Kindle Unlimited - Murder Mystery with Great Reviews
« on: October 18, 2015, 12:47:09 PM »

When the Tiger Kills: A Cimarron/Melbourne Thriller:  Book One  Click here!
Synopsis:  When she was a young girl, Dawn Cimarron lost her entire family in one afternoon of brutal violence. Now a Homicide detective in her hometown of Mountpelier, Colorado, she and her partner, Sergeant Rafe Melbourne, are hard at work trying to close not one, but two major cases.
In the first case, a college student has been found lying at the foot of a cliff, and his girlfriend has disappeared, the apparent victim of a kidnapping plot. And all indications point to one inevitable conclusion: a serial killer is on the loose -- a clever and resourceful killer who seems to be equally obsessed with visions of an ancient goddess and young girls with long, pale blonde hair.
The second case involves a young man who has been stabbed to death, his body left under a tree. At first it looks like a simple drug deal gone wrong. However, after encounters with the victim's angry, bitter stepsister and his self-absorbed, histrionic mother, the two detectives begin to suspect that there is more to this case than meets the eye.
With the help of Dawn's husband Ty, a former Air Force major now in charge of the local unit of the Civil Air Patrol, Cimarron and Melbourne work to bring a murderer to justice, even as they race against the clock to find the missing girl -- before her time runs out.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:30:39 AM by vprelatte »

Offline Ann in Arlington

• Global Moderator
  • Arlington, VA
  • Laugh Loud. Run Fast. Be Kind.
    • View Profile
Re: When the Tiger Kills - mystery/thriller - Kindle Countdown Deal
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 04:16:33 AM »

Welcome to KBoards, Or Welcome Back ;) OR Hi, glad you're still here. :D Congratulations on the book!  :)

Much of what follows you should already be aware of, as it was included in the information you agreed to when you signed up. So please consider this to be just a friendly reminder. :) (The posting of this 'welcome letter' doesn't mean you've done anything wrong; we just want you to have a ready reference, so we post this note in every thread. :) )

KBoards is a Fan forum for Readers, Writers and Kindle Lovers. Authors are always welcome to post anywhere but, as you browse the 'boards, please keep in mind that self-promotion, of any sort, is ONLY allowed here in the Book Bazaar.

A brief recap of our rules follows:

--Please bookmark this thread (using your browser's bookmark/favorite function or the Kboards bookmark tool available on each thread) so you can update it as we ask that authors have only one thread per book and add to it when there is more information.  You may start a separate thread for each book (or you may have one thread per series of books, or one thread for all of your books, it's your choice).

--We invite you to use your book cover as your avatar and have links to your book and website in your signature. Instructions are posted here

--While you may respond to member posts to your thread at any time, you may only bump your thread (back-to-back posts by you) once every seven days.  Once you've responded to a member, that resets the clock to zero and you must wait seven days to post, unless another member posts before then.

--We ask that Amazon reviews not be repeated here as they are easy to find at your book link.  Also, full reviews from other sites should not be posted here, but you may post a short blurb and a link to the full review instead.

--Although self-promotion is limited to the Book Bazaar, our most successful authors have found the best way to promote their books is to be as active throughout KBoards as time allows.  This is your target audience--book lovers with Kindles!  Please note that putting link information in the body of your posts outside the Book Bazaar constitutes self promotion; please leave your links for your profile signature that will automatically appear on each post.  For information on more ways to promote here on KBoards, be sure to check out this thread:
Authors: KBoards Tips & FAQ.

All this, and more, is included in our Forum Decorum.  Be sure to check it from time to time for the current guidelines and rules.

Thanks for being part of KBoards!  Feel free to send us a PM if you have any questions.

Betsy & Ann
Book Bazaar Moderators

My Kindles
Nautilus (Voyage)
Oasis 2016
AquaKindle
Godric's Hollow (Basic)
S7Edge (KApp for Android)
Galaxy (KApp for Android)
(Make your own reading bar) | Ann Von Hagel | Arlington, VA | kboards  MODERATOR

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
Re: When the Tiger Kills - mystery/thriller - Kindle Countdown Deal
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 04:57:21 PM »
Thank you for the welcome, Ann! 
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 03:13:53 AM by vprelatte »

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
I just received the proof copy of the print version of When the Tiger Kills.  Now I have to decide if I want to enroll it in the Kindle Matchbook program.  Do you have a book in the Kindle Matchbook program?  How is it working for you?

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
Picture a steep cliff next to an isolated campsite located in a remote area of a vast municipal park near the city of Mountpelier, Colorado.  A young man lies at the base of the cliff, still and silent.  This is the crime scene that Detective Dawn Cimarron and her partner, Sergeant Rafe Melbourne, are called upon to investigate.  At the top of the cliff, they find only a few clues:  some empty beer bottles, the faint impression of an artist's easel in the dirt, a woman's hair clip, and a tube of green paint.
   I'm Vanessa Prelatte.  This picture flashed into my head as I was driving to the market about a year ago.  I knew immediately that the hair clip belonged to a girl with long, pale blonde hair, and that she had been abducted by a serial killer. 
   I forgot about doing the marketing.  Instead, I pulled over to the side of the road, grabbed my writer's notebook, and began sketching out the story that eventually became the novel When the Tiger Kills.
   As I worked out the details of the novel over the next few months, another image flashed into my head:  the body of a young man wearing a silver jacket, lying dead under a tree. I realized then that, like most police detectives, Dawn and Rafe had more than one open case to deal with.  Furthermore, a little over half-way through the novel, I realized that there was a completely unexpected twist to the story, as the detectives began to realize that one of the cases was connected to an old, old, mystery - one that the police thought would never be solved.
   When the Tiger Kills is available for free to Amazon Prime customers and Kindle Unlimited subscribers.  For all others, the ebook is a bargain at only $2.99.  Click on the Amazon link above and use the "Look Inside!" option to read the beginning chapters.  I predict that you won't be able to resist obtaining a copy of the book and reading the rest of the story.

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
Synopsis:  When a teenage girl disappears, Dawn Cimarron and Rafe Melbourne, two members of the Homicide Unit in Mountpelier, Colorado, are assigned the case.  At the crime scene, they find a few clues:  some empty beer bottles, the faint impression of an artist's easel in the dirt, a woman's hair clip, and a tube of green paint.  As they work the case, Cimarron and Melbourne discover that it may be connected to another case: an old, old, mystery that the police thought would never be solved.  Meanwhile, the two detectives are already working another case - a stabbing death that seems simple on the surface, but is far more complex than it appears to be...

Question:  How often have you gotten halfway through a book and stopped to ask yourself, "Why I am reading this?  I don't care about these characters.  They just aren't real to me."

It happens to me a lot.  That's why I tried to make the characters in When the Tiger Kills as real as possible.  According to some of my readers, that goal was achieved.  For example, one of the reviewers on Amazon had this to say:

The best feature of the book, though, is the people. I call them "people" rather than "characters", because I had the feeling of reading dialogue that real people might actually say and actions that real people might take in the same circumstances...

Another reviewer wrote,

I liked the characters and the story. Her female lead is a strong detective with a lot of history. Makes the story very intriguing but with heart.

Still another wrote;

... more than a cop drama. This story is based around a family and a wide array characters... Vanessa has set it up with enough introductions to her characters for a great solid base for a new promising series. I look forward to reading the next installment.

If you're looking for a mystery/thriller filled with real characters whom you can connect with, give When the Tiger Kills a try.

This novel is available for free to Amazon Prime customers and Kindle Unlimited subscribers.  For all others, the ebook is a bargain at only $2.99.  Click on the Amazon link above and use the "Look Inside!" option to read the beginning chapters.  I predict that you won't be able to resist obtaining a copy of the book and reading the rest of the story.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:30:09 AM by vprelatte »

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
Synopsis:  When a teenage girl disappears, Dawn Cimarron and Rafe Melbourne, two members of the Homicide Unit in Mountpelier, Colorado, are assigned the case.  At the crime scene, they find a few clues:  some empty beer bottles, the faint impression of an artist's easel in the dirt, a woman's hair clip, and a tube of green paint.  As they work the case, Cimarron and Melbourne discover that it may be connected to another case: an old, old, mystery that the police thought would never be solved.  Meanwhile, the two detectives are already working another case - a stabbing death that seems simple on the surface, but is far more complex than it appears to be...

Question:  How often have you gotten halfway through a book and stopped to ask yourself, "Why I am reading this?  I don't care about these characters.  They just aren't real to me."

It happens to me a lot.  That's why I tried to make the characters in When the Tiger Kills as real as possible.  According to some of my readers, that goal was achieved.  For example, one of the reviewers on Amazon had this to say:

The best feature of the book, though, is the people. I call them "people" rather than "characters", because I had the feeling of reading dialogue that real people might actually say and actions that real people might take in the same circumstances...

Another reviewer wrote,

I liked the characters and the story. Her female lead is a strong detective with a lot of history. Makes the story very intriguing but with heart.

Still another wrote;

... more than a cop drama. This story is based around a family and a wide array characters... Vanessa has set it up with enough introductions to her characters for a great solid base for a new promising series. I look forward to reading the next installment.

If you're looking for a mystery/thriller filled with real characters whom you can connect with, give When the Tiger Kills a try.

This novel is available for free to Amazon Prime customers and Kindle Unlimited subscribers.  For all others, the ebook is a bargain at only $2.99.  Click on the Amazon link above and use the "Look Inside!" option to read the beginning chapters.  I predict that you won't be able to resist obtaining a copy of the book and reading the rest of the story.

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
Re: *FREE* Mystery/Thriller/Romantic Suspense - Nov. 24 & 25 *FREE*
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2015, 05:11:17 AM »

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_144837134205910&key=5e35e9bbd4480334ef460aa2a238e0f2&libId=ihdevuzh0100b886000DApeilo22m&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kboards.com%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dpost%3Bmsg%3D3166076%3Btopic%3D224258.0&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fdp%2FB014EEO6AC%2F%3Ftag%3Dkbpst-20&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kboards.com%2Findex.php%3Ftopic%3D224258.msg3138595&title=Modify%20message&txt=&loAsUuid=ihdevv9e-8c0cc2f4-7e69-4618-b5e7-a5bcbf59a690
When she was a young girl, Dawn Cimarron lost her entire family in one afternoon of brutal violence. Now a Homicide detective in her hometown of Mountpelier, Colorado, she and her partner, Sergeant Rafe Melbourne, are hard at work trying to close not one, but two major cases.
In the first case, a college student has been found lying at the foot of a cliff, and his girlfriend has disappeared, the apparent victim of a kidnapping plot. And all indications point to one inevitable conclusion: a serial killer is on the loose -- a clever and resourceful killer who seems to be equally obsessed with visions of an ancient goddess and young girls with long, pale blonde hair.
The second case involves a young man who has been stabbed to death, his body left under a tree. At first it looks like a simple drug deal gone wrong. However, after encounters with the victim's angry, bitter stepsister and his self-absorbed, histrionic mother, the two detectives begin to suspect that there is more to this case than meets the eye.
With the help of Dawn's husband Ty, a former Air Force major now in charge of the local unit of the Civil Air Patrol, Cimarron and Melbourne work to bring a murderer to justice, even as they race against the clock to find the missing girl -- before her time runs out.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 05:23:48 AM by vprelatte »

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
FREE w/ Kindle Unlimited - Murder Mystery with Great Reviews
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2015, 07:29:26 AM »
When the Tiger Kills: A Cimarron/Melbourne Thriller:  Book One  Click here!  www.amazon.com/When-Tiger-Kills-Cimarron-Melbourne-ebook/dp/B014EEO6AC/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1451143665&sr=1-1&keywords=When+the+Tiger+Kills
Synopsis:  When she was a young girl, Dawn Cimarron lost her entire family in one afternoon of brutal violence. Now a Homicide detective in her hometown of Mountpelier, Colorado, she and her partner, Sergeant Rafe Melbourne, are hard at work trying to close not one, but two major cases.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2015, 07:32:04 AM by vprelatte »