Author Topic: Has anyone used Bookgoodies.com or Mysteryreads.com?  (Read 1102 times)  

Online V.P.

• View Profile
Has anyone used Bookgoodies.com or Mysteryreads.com?
« on: October 26, 2015, 02:35:34 AM »
I was thinking about promoting my book on one or both of these sites, but I couldn't find any information about them.  With so many scams out there, I thought I'd ask for feedback here before moving forward.  If you can give me some advice, I'd really appreciate it.

AnmaNatsu

Re: Has anyone used Bookgoodies.com or Mysteryreads.com?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 08:10:15 AM »
I've used some of BookGoodies tools, and have an author interview up there.  I didn't find that it resulted in any new readers or the like, and both their author interview and book pages all seem to be manually done so they are very very slow to do.  I submitted my book page info on June 21st and it was just posted this week (and is now outdated).  There seems to just be one person doing all of those, which is a horribly outdated way to do it. The slow speed makes little sense to me since they just publish whatever you submitted to the posts anyway.

I tried their promo services for my last promo, since they have a fairly good sized network of sites, but as far as I can tell it didn't result in a single sale.  So I probably wouldn't spend money for those, though results may vary based on genre and it may just be that they don't have a good YA audience. 

Online V.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 01:42:18 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, Anma.  It looks like I'll be giving Bookgoodies a pass.  I'm still wondering about mysteryreads.com, though. 

Online Accord64

• View Profile
    • Bruce Fottler Author Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 01:45:50 PM »
I've put my books (and author interview) up on Bookgoodies tools, and I really appreciate them doing this for free. However, my one and only paid promo with them unfortunately yielded zero results.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 01:47:45 PM by Accord64 »

Online V.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 02:20:47 PM »
Maybe they are just starting out?  I sympathize, since I'm just starting out too, but with a limited advertising/promotion budget, I need to get as much "bang for my buck" as possible (like most of us here on KB, I guess!).

AnmaNatsu

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 02:23:14 PM »
MysteryReads is one of BookGoodies sites, though not sure how long they've had that one.  They have a pretty big network of sites, quite a few with genre-specific focuses.

AnmaNatsu

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2015, 02:26:14 PM »
You can find their full list here: http://bookgoodies.net/

Also, need to correct myself.  I did their author interview and book listing, but looking back at my promo details for my last promo, I did not try that part of their services.  If I remember right, I decided not to spend the money because I hadn't seen too many signs others were using with good results.

If you're working with a limited promotion budget, I'd read through a bunch of the recent promo threads and note the sites that come up regularly and see what kind of results people got, then building a list from there :-)

Online V.P.

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 02:31:58 PM »
Thanks for the info. It doesn't look like anyone has used the mysteryreads site at all.   I've been following some of the recent threads on Betty Book Freak, Awesome Gang, and My Book Cave.  Some of those sites look promising...

Offline Rebecca Bielawski

• Spain
    • View Profile
    • Children's books in English and Spanish
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 08:36:44 AM »
Book goodies used to be free, I used them.  Then, like so many promo sites they decided they were too good to be free anymore.  Personally, I think it was too soon to start charging.  They don't seem to have much reach, I wouldn't pay for their services yet.

Rebecca Bielawski | author site | G+ | Twitter

Offline deedawning

• Phoenix, AZ
    • View Profile
    • New Dawing Bookfair
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 09:03:16 AM »
Book goodies used to be free, I used them.  Then, like so many promo sites they decided they were too good to be free anymore.  Personally, I think it was too soon to start charging.  They don't seem to have much reach, I wouldn't pay for their services yet.
They're not the only ones. I used to get 3 or 4 sales on a free 99c ad with Just Kindle Books. All of a sudden they were $10. For $1.40 ROI? Furgetit!
Same with places like EbookHounds & ChoosyBookworm

Dee Dawning | Twitter | Blogger