Author Topic: Any Way to Schedule a Free Day on the First Day you Re-enroll in KDP Select?  (Read 737 times)  

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
My current KDP Select enrollment ends on November 22.  I'd like to schedule a free day on the first day of my re-enrollment - November 23.  However, when I try to create a new deal, I get a message that I can't do that.  I did a search and discovered that Amazon won't permit authors to schedule a free day until after midnight on the last day of the current term.  Given that once you schedule a day it takes Amazon almost 24 before the information is up and running, even if I stay up and create the deal at 12:01 a.m. on the 23rd, it still might not run until the 24th - which is a waste of one day.  Anyone else ever run into this?  Anybody know a solution to the problem?  It's not right that we effectively cannot schedule a free day on the first day of our re-enrollment.  That means that we really have only 89 days in each enrollment period to schedule deals - not 90.

V.P.

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
Hmmm - To quote Han Solo, "Chewy, I'm getting a bad feeling about this..." :'(

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
Lots of views, but no answers.  I'm beginning to wonder if it's not possible... :-[

Offline Rayven T. Hill

• 🍁 Toronto
    • View Profile
    • Rayven T. Hill
It's not possible.
Profane Justice: 10% (Writing)
Rayven T. Hill | Web Site | Facebook | Pinterest | Google+ | Twitter

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
I was afraid of that.  Have you tried it?  What has your experience been?

Offline Rayven T. Hill

• 🍁 Toronto
    • View Profile
    • Rayven T. Hill
The new calendar isn't available until the first day of the 90 day period. Since you have to schedule one day ahead, your promo can't start until the second day.

I haven't tried it because there's no way to try it.
Profane Justice: 10% (Writing)
Rayven T. Hill | Web Site | Facebook | Pinterest | Google+ | Twitter

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
Well, that stinks.  I'll guess I'll have to schedule it for the 24th and the 25th.

Online TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
You could do a 99 cent promo on that day.

I space my one-day free days out with about 18 days between each, and make the last one close to the last day of the select period.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
Wouldn't there be the same issue with the calendar?

Offline benwest

• View Profile
My current KDP Select enrollment ends on November 22.  I'd like to schedule a free day on the first day of my re-enrollment - November 23.  However, when I try to create a new deal, I get a message that I can't do that.  I did a search and discovered that Amazon won't permit authors to schedule a free day until after midnight on the last day of the current term.  Given that once you schedule a day it takes Amazon almost 24 before the information is up and running, even if I stay up and create the deal at 12:01 a.m. on the 23rd, it still might not run until the 24th - which is a waste of one day.  Anyone else ever run into this?  Anybody know a solution to the problem?  It's not right that we effectively cannot schedule a free day on the first day of our re-enrollment.  That means that we really have only 89 days in each enrollment period to schedule deals - not 90.

V.P.

So you get 89 days instead of 90 days. That's a difference of one day. And this...is worth complaining about?

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
I'm not sure how to respond to that.  Anybody else have any input?

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
If the date is special then you can't change much, however, if you know that the reenrollment date will cause you grief then I'd suggest planning 90 days ahead so it doesn't fall on day 1.  Again, that is only IF the day is uber special for some reason.  Then you can have it lapse and reenroll a day or two later if necessary to change the 90 day cycle up.

Sorry I can't think of anything better and planning 90 days ahead will only work if that one day is significant for some reason.  Good luck! :)

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
Thank you for your advice.  I'd like to get a couple of free days in before Thanksgiving (for reasons too long to go into here), and I was thinking that Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving week would be better than Tuesday and Wednesday.  If I can't schedule it for Monday, I can't. 
You are right - I should have planned better.  I'm new at this, and I've just learned that I have to think a lot further ahead in the future!

Offline Salvador Mercer

• Cleveland Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Salvador Mercer Website
Thank you for your advice.  I'd like to get a couple of free days in before Thanksgiving (for reasons too long to go into here), and I was thinking that Monday and Tuesday of Thanksgiving week would be better than Tuesday and Wednesday.  If I can't schedule it for Monday, I can't. 
You are right - I should have planned better.  I'm new at this, and I've just learned that I have to think a lot further ahead in the future!

Look at my 2015 tag and join the club, LOL  :P

A lot of us are new.  Welcome then btw  8)

Offline V.P.

• View Profile
Thank you for your encouraging words.  I'm still "learning the ropes".  It's nice to know that I'm not alone.

Vanessa

Online TromboneAl

• Name IRL: Al Macy
    • View Profile
Wouldn't there be the same issue with the calendar?

You can set the price to 99 cents any time. As for a countdown deal, yeah, it's probably got the same issue.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter