Author Launch - turn-key sites for authors
KB Featured Book
Wish Granted! Tips, Tools, and Templates to Write a Winning Grant
by Holly Rustick

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-22
Bestseller ranking: 95983

Product Description
INCLUDES BONUS FREE E-DOWNLOADS: TEMPLATES FOR GRANT WRITING!

Grant writing shouldn’t feel like a trip to the dentist. Take the pain out of the process with this innovative and fun, yes fun, guide. Learn all the inside tips and tools of the grant-writing trade in this easy-to-read and upbeat book.
This book is definitely for you if:
•You break out in a cold sweat when your boss mentions the word ‘grant’.
•You’ve been tempted to throw your computer against the wall while writing a grant.
•You happily tell stakeholders there’s plenty of grants out there … but haven’t the faintest idea how to write and get one!
•You think you can send out a bog-standard letter to a bunch of organizations and get funded.
•Your eyes glaze over when you’re presented with grant writing jargon and acronyms.
•Your organization’s grant success A-game has r...

Author Topic: Looking for cover feedback!  (Read 1497 times)  

Offline EvanPickering

• View Profile
    • The Apocalypse Wouldn't Be A Good Time To Write, So Let's Do It Now.
Looking for cover feedback!
« on: May 25, 2016, 01:40:18 PM »
Since I've been sick the past few days and haven't gotten any writing done (hard to write when your brain barely functions) I've been playing around with making the cover for BOOK 2 of my series.

Barring any future changes, I'm pretty confident this will be my cover. I really like it.

for perspective thematically, this is my cover for BOOK 1

I really enjoy the simple, stark covers that convey a feeling/mood and not much more. Also, I think they look pretty good.

What do you guys think?
Evan P
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 04:24:54 PM by EvanPickering »

A Legend Is Reborn In The American Apocalypse.
Evan Pickering | Post-Apoc Writing Blog | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads

Offline C. E. Stocker

• View Profile
Re: Cover Reveal for BOOK 2 American Rebirth Series
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 02:04:28 PM »
Personally, I like both covers. It may be because I'm partial to stark covers, too, but I like the mood they set. And from reading your post on the sales results of your first novel, I think the new one stays with the same branding and should satisfy the readers of book one.

C. E. Stocker | Website

Offline TimWLong

• Seattle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 03:19:02 PM »
The first cover is awesome. Your name on the right had side makes it look a little uneven though. Not sure how else to say it. One thing that rocks with Hood's cover is the gun. It sells the book. I think that spirit is missing from the second cover. Just my .02.

Professional Horror Hack
Timothy W. Long | blog | website | facebook

Offline EvanPickering

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:14:27 PM »
Thanks guys.

I def love the cover of HOOD. I really like this cover too, I agree it doesnt have the danger-mystery element the rifle leaves in the other cover, but in general I love the simplicity of it. It's obviously gonna be a bit before I get the next book published so i got time to tool around with it :D

Offline Bradley Verdell

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 11:01:51 PM »
I like both covers. Where did you get your Avatar? That would also be a great book cover.

I'm currently without a Kindle at the moment, but I may have to pick up your book to read at some point. Looks like something I'd enjoy.

Safari Adventure in a World of Majik and Monsters
Bradley Verdell | facebook

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    • Bruce Fottler Author Facebook Page
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 04:14:07 AM »
Sorry, I don't like it.

I don't think it conveys anything about the story, never mind it being a post-apocalyptic tale. It strikes me more as a book about a peaceful canoeing trip. Your first cover is stronger because it has a prominent element laying in the foreground that hints at the genre. Just my 2 cents.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:16:11 AM by Accord64 »

Offline JosiahUpton

• Fort Worth, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 04:59:19 AM »
Here's another 2 cents, earning you a dime total:

These are beautiful, but as others have stated, the second is missing that dramatic element of the gun in the foreground. Also, I have a slight issue with the title for "Whiskey". It stretches to the edges of the image. I think the margins around "Hood" were just right.

Josiah Upton | Blog | Facebook | Twitter

Offline Andrew Dorn

• Montreal, Canada
  • Live from icy but warm-hearted Montreal!
    • View Profile
    • Andrew's Website
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 06:58:43 AM »
Here's another 2 cents but since I'm Canadian it's more like 1.5  :P...

I also like the cover but find it lacks an element of suspense/danger. If you could add, say, a roof of a submerged car in the water in the foreground, it could perk the cover up. Adding the gun from Hood to the roof's car could also link both covers in an interesting way.
My first SF novel: 99%
Andrew Dorn | Andrew's Website | Twitter | Facebook

Online ImaWriter

• Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 07:05:35 AM »
It's a beautiful cover.  I'd like to be in that spot right now.  However, for me, the covers screams spirituality or enlightenment. It says nothing to your genre.

Offline BlinkFarm

• Ohio, USA
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 07:17:39 AM »
Picking up the sickly green from Hood may make Whiskey seem more apocalyptic. It would also tie the series together. You could also try ghosting a skull in the water or the sky.
I write science fiction & erotica.
Get free resources for creatives on my youtube channel.

Offline EvanPickering

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2016, 11:56:18 AM »
Re: My avatar... Yeah, I wanted it to be the cover for BOOK1 but I couldn't get in contact with the artist. It all worked out though :D

I'm definitely thinking about the lack of danger element in the cover. I'm torn, because truth be told I don't think it's really necessary. On the other hand, I loved the punch the rifle did for my book1 cover.

I think a cover really just has to establish a feeling or a mood, I don't think it has to be chock full of book content. Besides, the picture is relevant to the story. Anyway, it's still a WIP. But without delving into photoshopping I just messed with the color scheme and like this one a bit more in terms of looking PA-ish

Offline Matthew Stott

• View Profile
    • Mr Matthew Stott
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2016, 11:58:25 AM »
The first cover is awesome. Your name on the right had side makes it look a little uneven though. Not sure how else to say it. One thing that rocks with Hood's cover is the gun. It sells the book. I think that spirit is missing from the second cover. Just my .02.

This, I think it would definitely benefit from something like that on the second cover.

Matthew Stott | Twitter | Website | Facebook | Genre Reader

Offline Accord64

• View Profile
    • Bruce Fottler Author Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2016, 01:01:00 PM »
I think a cover really just has to establish a feeling or a mood, I don't think it has to be chock full of book content. Besides, the picture is relevant to the story.

I understand how you feel because I went through this with my PA novel (as well as others). I was frustrated that feedback on my first couple of cover demos wasn't positive. It forced me to rethink and come up with something far better. It was hard, but I learned a lot - mainly what I perceived as a good cover was seen differently by others.

There's a cover critique site called Covercritics.com. You might want check them out. I've received some extremely helpful feedback from them on several occasions.     

Offline ruecole

• Greater Vancouver, BC
    • View Profile
    • Rachel Elizabeth Cole
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2016, 01:26:46 PM »
A good cover needs to do more than just establish a mood or feeling. First and foremost it needs to signal genre. Go read this thread:  http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,236648.0.html Her covers are absolutely beautiful, but they were signaling the wrong genre and turning off both her true readers and those who were mistaking her book for something else and her sales were suffering for it.

Admittedly, this is book 2 and so most readers are going to have already been hooked in by book 1. Still, I think this cover would benefit from being more genre appropriate. I love the idea suggested upthread of adding a partially submerged building or vehicle to the water. Maybe even a boat. Just add something human-made and abandoned, like the gun from the first cover.

Hope that helps!

Rue

Rachel Elizabeth Cole Website | Facebook | Twitter | Blog | Littera Designs

Offline EvanPickering

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 12:04:31 AM »
Mmm... I think you guys are probably right. While I do have the benefit of most readers already being introduced to the series via HOOD, I think I should probably make sure the post-apoc element is alive in the book2 cover as well.

I'm going to ruminate on this further. Might come up with a new setup.

Ty for the feedback!

Offline FAUSGA

• View Profile
    • Author Website Design & Book Cover Design
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 09:49:05 AM »
I like your book cover! Good luck!

Offline EvanPickering

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2016, 01:10:46 PM »
Thanks dude! I'm glad you like it.

Online Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2016, 01:18:20 PM »
For what it's worth, the cover for Hood appeals to me due to the rifle. I find myself wondering who owns it, who used it, under what circumstances, and why was it left behind?

In a word, intrigue.

That sense of intrigue is missing (for me) in the cover for Whiskey.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Online Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2016, 02:52:48 PM »
I agree with the comment about intrigue and mystery being something that's missing from the second cover. First one is great. Second one needs that something special.

Perhaps a body floating in the water. Or an abandoned canoe with a splotch of blood making its way from the bow to the hull.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline BeMyBookBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2016, 03:26:03 PM »
People are saying words.

Thought: Put up the Hood cover and the Whiskey cover in the thumbnail size, next to each other. Hood is VERY green and stark, it's cool, but will Whiskey's equal, but different, starkness be muted and anaemic in comparison?

Just a thought, to give it more realistic comparison. Could look great, or could make you think of a different colour tone.

For those who feel that the gun makes the first cover, and the post-apocalyptic vibe, maybe some small imagery could help, since you said yourself you have lots of time to play with it.

Maybe some smoke in the back mountains, to show all is not well... or the shadow of bones in the water? (I don't actually know anything, I'm just also saying words, so I seem helpful and get my ranking up from Lewis Carroll. Lame.)

Offline EvanPickering

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2016, 11:52:01 AM »
People are saying words.

Thought: Put up the Hood cover and the Whiskey cover in the thumbnail size, next to each other. Hood is VERY green and stark, it's cool, but will Whiskey's equal, but different, starkness be muted and anaemic in comparison?

Just a thought, to give it more realistic comparison. Could look great, or could make you think of a different colour tone.

For those who feel that the gun makes the first cover, and the post-apocalyptic vibe, maybe some small imagery could help, since you said yourself you have lots of time to play with it.

Maybe some smoke in the back mountains, to show all is not well... or the shadow of bones in the water? (I don't actually know anything, I'm just also saying words, so I seem helpful and get my ranking up from Lewis Carroll. Lame.)

Yeah, as much as I love the cover for WHISKEY I agree it doesn't have the same power of the cover for HOOD. It's missing the danger element and the color scheme isn't as strong.

I must tinker some more.

I didn't even realize the rank thing was such a motivating force  ;D methinks this needs to be implemented for writing purposes.

Offline BeMyBookBaby

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2016, 12:42:48 PM »
didn't even realize the rank thing was such a motivating force  ;D methinks this needs to be implemented for writing purposes.

The dude wrote math books and painted nude portraits of children. Plus Lewis Carroll was his pen name. Even Lewis didn't want to be Lewis.  :P ;)

Offline EvanPickering

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2016, 01:53:46 PM »
Alright peeps, I've tinkered with the cover a bit. What do you think? Better? Worse?

I can't tell if the faded gun seems out of place or if it fits perfect. I'd love some outside perspective!

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac