KB Featured Book
Wish Granted! Tips, Tools, and Templates to Write a Winning Grant
by Holly Rustick

$1.99
Kindle Edition published 2017-08-22
Bestseller ranking: 95983

Product Description
INCLUDES BONUS FREE E-DOWNLOADS: TEMPLATES FOR GRANT WRITING!

Grant writing shouldn’t feel like a trip to the dentist. Take the pain out of the process with this innovative and fun, yes fun, guide. Learn all the inside tips and tools of the grant-writing trade in this easy-to-read and upbeat book.
This book is definitely for you if:
•You break out in a cold sweat when your boss mentions the word ‘grant’.
•You’ve been tempted to throw your computer against the wall while writing a grant.
•You happily tell stakeholders there’s plenty of grants out there … but haven’t the faintest idea how to write and get one!
•You think you can send out a bog-standard letter to a bunch of organizations and get funded.
•Your eyes glaze over when you’re presented with grant writing jargon and acronyms.
•Your organization’s grant success A-game has r...

Author Topic: authors who purchase reviews  (Read 15106 times)  

Offline Nick Marsden

• View Profile
    • Nick Marsden Author
Re: authors who purchase reviews
« Reply #125 on: August 10, 2016, 01:42:52 PM »
From a reader's standpoint, one that knows nothing about publishing or how Amazon works or anything like that, reviews matter, right? Yes, all of us here know that those crappy 5 star reviews are "suspect", but the average reader is probably going to skim through them at least. Then they'll probably look at the 1 stars to see what people are complaining about. That's how I do it when I buy non-book items from Amazon. I don't wonder if the reviews for the HP Color printer were bought from some website. I don't care. I want to know if it's a reliable machine and if there are a bunch of people who have the same problem with it (like 10 people who all had bad paper jams). If I see comments for the first point, and not so much the 2nd point, I'll buy it. It still might break in 2 months, but I won't blame the problem on a crappy product. I'll blame it on a fluke mechanical failure and exchange it for a new one.

Book buying for those who are not in the business probably goes the same way. They look to see what people who like the book said about it, then they look to see what people who didn't like the book said about it. They probably ignore the vague reviews as unhelpful, but they don't consider if the review is a scam unless it looks scammy, and then the reviewer gets blamed for being a stupid troll, not the author for buying a scam review. Also, they can probably tell a bad 1 star review from a good 1 star review. If a book ONLY has vague or scammy reviews, then they probably make a decision on other factors (cover and blurb) because there isn't enough info in the review section to matter.

I wouldn't refuse to buy a book cause it had 100 reviews that all were a variation of the one-liner "I liked/hated this book". Now, if the cover were only so-so and the blurb didn't catch me, I would consider the book cheap dreck and not bother spending my .99 on it.

Epic Fantasy Author
Nick Marsden | Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter

Offline Sharlow

• Vancouver, WA.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 10, 2016, 01:51:30 PM »
I'd go look on Goodreads. Typically, ratings are about .5 stars lower than on Amazon. If there are a lot of ratings (enough to be significant), and the average is WAY lower than on Amazon, like over 1 star's worth, I'd guess there could be something fishy.

Or, you know, you could shrug and not bother, because it's not really your problem and there's no real way to know.

Really? I find my experience on Goodreads to be the opposite. I have a lot of reviews there and my books are all higher rated. On Amazon I have only a few and most are bad.

Offline BWFoster78

• View Profile
    • My Official Author Website
« Reply #127 on: August 11, 2016, 05:36:50 AM »
From a reader's standpoint, one that knows nothing about publishing or how Amazon works or anything like that, reviews matter, right? Yes, all of us here know that those crappy 5 star reviews are "suspect", but the average reader is probably going to skim through them at least.

I would absolutely love to have some definitive data on how much reviews actually matter. Not sure how one would go about getting that information, though.

Do a significant number of readers care about the reviews?

When I'm buying a book from an author I haven't previously read, it all comes down to the sample. If the author hooks me, then I buy the book regardless of other factors.

If the author is one of my favorites, I just buy the book without even glancing at any part of the books page.

The only time reviews come into play for me, really, is when I'm on the fence about an author I've read before.

Brian W. Foster | Website | Newletter | Facebook

Offline Athena Grayson

• View Profile
    • Athena Grayson
« Reply #128 on: August 11, 2016, 06:13:22 AM »
When I'm shopping, I tend to put heaviest weight on the 3 and 4 star reviews, and read the 2 star reviews for caveats. I've seen too many 1-stars that are either complaints about something that is not the book or author ("Grr, Amazon Y U No Work Mah Kindle?") or incoherent. I see many more 2 star reviews that are "Didn't care for the book and here's why," and 3 or 4 star reviews that are "liked/loved/enjoyed the book and here's why." Some of the 5 star reviews will go into detail, but a lot of them on really popular books, especially in series, end up being, "OMG I squee'd when SPOILERY THING HAPPENED!!" And now it's ruined for me because I know The Thing and it will affect how I read the book.

My strongest buy-urge comes from cover and/or description. If I've been hooked by an image or a premise, and the Look Inside is not obviously spam or terribad, all the haterade in the world isn't going to turn me away, whether it's legit haterade or not. As a reader, my burning fiery hate is reserved for people who spoil mysteries or thrillers with their reviews, but everyone else's opinion is taken as an aggregate.

As an author, I don't get a lot of reviews on my books, even though I ask for them, but at this point, I'm less inclined to believe reviews are going to make or break me. I feel like I've done my due diligence and asked politely at the end of the book for reviews, and people either will or will not. I am better off putting out more stuff for people not to review. :D

Space Opera...With Girl Cooties!
Athena Grayson | site | newsletter | facebook

Online Atunah

• South of Seasons
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 11, 2016, 08:29:56 AM »
I would absolutely love to have some definitive data on how much reviews actually matter. Not sure how one would go about getting that information, though.

Do a significant number of readers care about the reviews?

When I'm buying a book from an author I haven't previously read, it all comes down to the sample. If the author hooks me, then I buy the book regardless of other factors.

If the author is one of my favorites, I just buy the book without even glancing at any part of the books page.

The only time reviews come into play for me, really, is when I'm on the fence about an author I've read before.
Most readers I know do pay attention to the reviews in varying degrees. For a new unknown author, its about all we have to go on. But another reader recommendation can overwrite any reviews. If I know that reader, online or real life. If I know what they like I mean.

I never ever read samples. Never. For one, I cannot stand having all the partial stories floating in my head, can't stand that. Samples would not be a good indicator for me anyway. A sample only tells me how a book starts, it doesn't tell me anything about how the author can tell a story, unfold a story and especially end a story. Those things I have to find out from other readers, through reviews or forums. Of course goodreads reviews can be both, review and a friend recommendation, if the review is from someone you follow.

I think reviews in general, for all products matter to a great many people. Otherwise there wouldn't be so much scamming going on with all products on Amazon. Books aren't that much different in that regard. Everything gets reviewed  nowadays. And people read them and make decisions based on them. Just what it is. We live a more busy fractured life often, so less local folks to get recommendations from. So we turn to the interwebs.

Member since 11/20/2008 | Atunah's Romance Haus | Goodreads |
It has always been forever, for me, Sassenach -- Diana Gabaldon, Outlander

Online Anarchist

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 11, 2016, 10:11:40 AM »

The Effects of User Reviews on Online Purchasing Behavior across Multiple Product Categories

A decade old, but still interesting reading - particularly starting on page 14.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Offline BWFoster78

• View Profile
    • My Official Author Website
« Reply #131 on: August 11, 2016, 11:28:42 AM »
The Effects of User Reviews on Online Purchasing Behavior across Multiple Product Categories

Fantastic!

That was some very useful information.

Thanks!

Brian

Brian W. Foster | Website | Newletter | Facebook

Offline CarlaBaku

• The actual middle of nowhere.
  • Stop touching me. Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
    • Carla Baku
« Reply #132 on: August 11, 2016, 11:46:59 AM »
It's a witch hunt if I'm saying Bob or John or You are doing it. I'm not. My comment was about how I buy books now and the fact that after lurking on these boards for the last 6 months, I approach reviews of indie  books with a fair bit of caution. I do what one of the earlier posters suggested, I take a look at the 1-3 star reviews. They're usually honest, and I've bought books based on bad or middling reviews.

To Sally... I doubt the average reader looks at your mass of five star reviews and doesn't trust them, I suspect most readers have no clue this is even an issue.... oh, and goodness, if you have too many five star reviewers, can you toss me one?   :D

Re: "witch-hunty": I wasn't referring to your post, specifically (and apologies if it seemed like I was), but to a trend on Kboards in the past few months to jump immediately to the conclusion that if a book has a preponderance of high ratings and/or the reviews aren't verified purchases that something fishy is afoot. I think we're all sick and tired of working really hard only to see the system-despoilers making a profit; that frustration, though, has the potential to create knee-jerk assumptions without a basis in fact. There was a recent thread in which the OP wondered why another author's book was outselling his; sure enough, a suggestion popped up that the author who was selling more had probably cheated with their reviews. I just think we need to tread carefully with this stuff.
"This is the writer's life. And for this there is no teacher left. So go for it. Wow yourself." --Scott Herndon, Stanford University

Offline JeanetteRaleigh

• View Profile
    • Jeanette Raleigh
« Reply #133 on: August 11, 2016, 12:32:27 PM »
I won't give a review for a book unless I can give it four or five stars.  I read a lot, so if I love a book so much that I don't want to forget the author, I review it so that I can find it again by going through my Amazon review lists.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 12:34:02 PM by JeanetteRaleigh »

Moon Struck is currently FREE

Offline Ellie8

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 11, 2016, 01:27:10 PM »

Here's a link to the study (referenced in the paper posted by Anarchist) conducted by Berger, Sorensen, and Rasmussen regarding instances where negative reviews can actually positively affect book sales. While it's from 2010, it's very, very interesting data! http://jonahberger.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Negative_Publicity.pdf