Author Topic: New Copy Editing, Proofreading and Book Formatting Bundled Service  (Read 1608 times)  

Offline ThePete

• Florida swamp rat lost in Germany
  • "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
    • Freelance Copyeditor and Independent Author
Edit: Thanks to a great suggestion another Kboarder sent me, I'm happy to offer a 10% discount to anyone mentioning that they found me on Kboards. With all I've learned on these forums in the last two years, that's the least I can do to give back. I'm also available through Upwork (formerly Elance) HERE.

Hey everyone! For the last two years, I've had the privilege of helping aspiring military veteran authors bring their work to market. It's been a humbling, yet fantastic experience that has taught me more about copyediting than I could ever imagine. This month I've decided to hang out the shingle and offer my proofreading, copyediting and book formatting services to all writers.

A little about me first: I served from 2002-2007 in the US Army and knocked out two tours in Iraq. After the military, I earned a bachelor's degree in business administration and got lost working in Germany. I first cut my editing teeth performing English to German technical translations... a grueling and extensive process that makes copy-editing seem like a relaxing hobby! In the fiction world, I've worked on everything from steamy romances to hard sci-fi, and enjoyed them all.

While I offer a variety of editing options, the most popular service is a bundled package that includes two separate proofs and layout formatting for one bundled price of $0.0075 a word.

What exactly does this entail?
1) The first line-by-line, "deep dive" copyediting and proofreading pass will be delivered by the agreed upon date or your money back.
Proofreading:
-   Correct spelling, grammar, punctuation and capitalization errors.
-   Correct word usage, with a special emphasis on misused hyphenated/compound words, author-specific crutch words/phrases and those devilish homonyms.

Copy Editing:
-   Massage sentence-level syntax for clarity, consistency and readability, without twisting your unique writing style.
-   Polish overall tone and flow. This phase overlaps with "developmental editing," but there's no extra charge. I take pride in weeding out continuity errors, plot holes, unrealistic dialogue, inconsistent character actions and the subtle, yet confusing point-of-view shifts.

2) A separate final proofread right before you're ready to launch your work. With such an extensive editing process, some "post-production" mistakes are guaranteed to pop up. That's why, once you've made your changes and rewrites, a final proofreading to weed out any new errors is crucial.

3) Last, but not least, I'll return three "ready to upload" manuscripts, optimized for the Kindle and Epub ebook formats, as well as the Createspace paperback format. These files are guaranteed compatible with Kindle Direct Publishing, Draft 2 Digital and Smashwords (yes, even their notorious autovetter system). If you receive any errors when uploading to any of these sites, I will correct the problem immediately without charge.

Freelancers live and die by word-of-mouth recommendations. That's why I guarantee 100% satisfaction with my services before final payment is due, as well as a full refund if I fail to meet a deadline.

Since transparency is vital in this business, I'd like to use this thread as a public place for my clients to share their testimonials or address any concerns they might have.

If you're interested, please swing on over to my website for more detailed information.
http://rappeters.com/copy-editing-services-and-rates/

To help clear up any confusion, here's a summary of the editing process:
Workflow
How does this whole thing work? What's the step-by-step process?

1) Contact me, via site form or AuthorRAPeters@gmail.com, with your goals and a 1,000-word appetizer to edit. I'll return the sample with my suggested edits, availability and a signed Non-Disclosure Agreement to protect your intellectual property within 1-2 business days.

If you feel that I'm a good fit to help polish your work, then we can proceed whenever you're ready. Please feel free to ask me anything or bring up any concerns you have before we get started. I aim to make this a stress-free experience.

2) When you're ready to hire, send the manuscript via email or through Dropbox. MS Word is preferred, but I can work with Google Docs, PDF or Scrivener files as well. Once I receive your manuscript, I'll give it an initial inspection and provide you with a service agreement (you can sign this digitally without printing it out) that includes a hard completion date for return of the first line-by-line proof. As stated in the service agreement, if I fail to meet this deadline, for any reason, then your order is 100% free. The second proofreading and formatting deadline will be met within 48 hours after you approve the revisions from the first edit pass, however long that takes.

You'll also receive a PayPal invoice at this time to simplify taxes and record keeping. A deposit of 50% of the total order via PayPal is required before editing can begin. The rest is due on final completion of the project.

3) Time for the fun part. Clear your head and put the manuscript out of your mind while I dive in. This'll give you a fresh perspective to judge the corrections and suggestions I'll send you soon. Now's a great time to start on your next book or just take a well-deserved break. I'll email you any questions I have and send you a list of daily edits, if requested.

4) Prior to our deadline, I'll send the Word manuscript back with all changes and detailed explanations marked under "Track Changes." This allows you to confirm each revision and choose whether to approve or deny them. Objective errors will be color-coded red and subjective style suggestions shaded blue.

Once I return the marked-up manuscript, the job isn't finished. We're not done until you're completely satisfied and ready to bring your work to market. If any edits are unclear, please let me know and I'll clarify. No question is small or unimportant. I'm happy to set up a chat or Skype session so that we can go through these changes in real-time. It's crucial for my reputation that each client is 100% convinced they received their money's worth out of this service.

5) Once you've made your changes and any other necessary rewrites, then send me the final manuscript and I'll perform one last proofreading pass to weed out any "post-production" errors within 48 hours. I'll also format the Word file and provide you three copies, each optimized for the Kindle, Epub and Createspace paperback formats.

6) Final payment is due only when you receive the final formatted files.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2016, 01:46:42 PM by ThePete »
Freelance Copy Editor and Author Since 2013
Website | Kboard's Thread

Online Betsy the Quilter

• To paraphrase Bill Murray in Groundhog Day: "I'm a goddess; not THE Goddess. I don't think."
  • Administrator
  • Alexandria, VA
  • Love all, moderate all, to quote my friend Harvey
    • View Profile
    • Betsy True Designs
Re: New Copy Editing, Proofreading and Book Formatting Bundled Service
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 07:12:31 AM »
Hey, Pete!

Welcome to Kboards!

You're welcome to promote your business and website here in the Writers' Caf!

Now that you have an official thread, you'll want to add your listing to our Yellow Pages Listing, found here:
http://www.kboards.com/yp/

The listing is free to KB members and is completely self-service; you can add and edit your listing from the page.  More information on our Yellow Pages listing can be found here.

In your thread here, we ask that the same basic rules be followed as we have for authors in the Book Bazaar:  you may have this one thread about your service and must post to it rather than start a new thread each time.  New threads about the service wil be removed.  Please bookmark this thread so that you can find it again to post to.  And, you may not make back-to-back posts to the thread within seven days.  If someone responds (such as this post), you may reply but otherwise must wait seven days, thanks!

Betsy
KBoards Moderator

Note that this welcome does not constitute an endorsement or vetting of a service by KBoards.  Members should do due diligence when considering using a service, for example, by asking KB members for feedback and doing an Internet search such as "service provider name" complaints.
Goodreads Goal -- 75 books

Joined 10/27/2008  | Miss you, Harvey, Jeff & Dona!
Harvey Chute (1962-2015), KB Founder

Proud Owner: Oasis/Voyage/Touch/Basic/K1/Fire HDX
Betsy True Designs Facebook | My Store

Offline ADDavies

• Staffordshire, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 07:44:32 AM »
That is a heck of a good price.

$400 for an 80,000 word manuscript all-in?

I'll certainly bookmark this, although by the time I know dates for when my WIP will be ready, I expect you'll be all booked up. Hope you are ready to working solid until Easter ;-)

Best of luck.
Adam Park #5 : 100%

Offline JVRudnick

• Canada
  • Your SciFi dude....
    • View Profile
    • CanuckSEO
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
I too was interested....

till he said "MS Word" as the only submittable format....I'm a Scrivener guy and I will not use Word nor import back into Scrivener either...t0o many errors...

Join me by reading the RIM Confederacy Series!
Jim Rudnick | Author Site | Blog Site

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 09:06:46 AM »
I too was interested....

till he said "MS Word" as the only submittable format....I'm a Scrivener guy and I will not use Word nor import back into Scrivener either...t0o many errors...

You're right. Thanks for pointing that out. I prefer Word, but I'm not married to the program. I'm always flexible and happy to work exclusively in Scrivener if that's what you prefer.

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 04:26:16 AM »
That is a heck of a good price.

$400 for an 80,000 word manuscript all-in?

I'll certainly bookmark this, although by the time I know dates for when my WIP will be ready, I expect you'll be all booked up. Hope you are ready to working solid until Easter ;-)

Best of luck.

Thanks for your encouragement! While I have nothing against other editors charging "all the traffic will bear," I always found the standard $0.01 a word rate to be so arbitrary. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I lived in New York, but in my rural homestead, $400 for seven to ten days of work is more than adequate compensation.

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 08:30:05 AM »
Just wanted to give an update. I have two (out of six) editing windows still open this year. Thanks to a great idea from another Kboarder, I'm happy to offer a 10% discount to anyone mentioning that they found me on Kboards. With all I've learned on these forums in the last two years, that's the least I can do to give back. I'm also available through Upwork (formerly Elance) HERE.

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 08:32:31 AM »
Wrapped up a project earlier than expected, so just a head's up that I have a slot opening up Saturday (12 December).

Offline CourtneyHunt71

• View Profile
    • Courtney Hunt
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »
I've had the pleasure of working with Pete on my latest novella and wholeheartedly recommend him to other KBoarders. He's done a wonderful, thorough job with a quick turnaround due to my tight deadline.

In the past, I've had copy editors that stomped on my voice but Pete didn't do that at all---just gave me some great tips on how to improve and streamline my writing.

I'll be booking Pete for all my copy-editing needs in the future. Highly recommend his work!

Courtney

Courtney Hunt | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Pinterest

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2015, 05:49:40 AM »
Just a head's up that I recently raised my rates, but I will still honor all previous quotes. Anyone that queried me at the old rate (before 16 Dec 2015) will receive that special price for proofreading or the bundled service. Thanks!

Offline ThePete

• "[Expletive Deleted]"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2016, 05:37:11 AM »
Thanks to everyone it's been one heck of a busy summer, but now I finally have a few editing slots available. As always, all genres welcome.

Looking forward to some more great reads!

Offline RJD2

• View Profile
    • RJ Infantino
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2016, 12:40:00 PM »
Pete was a big part of getting my book ready for my Kindle Scout campaign. Really quick turn around, great at responding to my questions, and was really helpful walking me through some stuff as a newbie. Would definitely recommend!

Buy Scrivener for Windows or Mac